ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Significant Winter Storm 2/27-28 (esp along/N of 78); and update on Fri storm (p. 6)

my comment stands

the forecast was for a minor storm.

it was a minor storm.

the snow fall basically exactly as forecasted.

how does that even remotely classify as a "massive bust"?

#'s choice to use the word "significant" in the title of this thread has no bearing.
Minor and sig([nificant are not synonymous. Check the title of the thread and #s defense of significant.

I was just watching NBC news. They claim to call on 10 forecasters to broadcast the weather reports. I think News 12 does the same. How much do they all make? Do they get paid by the Storm Watch only? Just curious. Seems like a lot of ways to divide the segment cost, especially for the locals.

my comment stands

the forecast was for a minor storm.

it was a minor storm.

the snow fall was basically exactly within the ranges forecasted as shown above. impressively so.

how does that even remotely classify as a "massive bust"?

#'s choice to use the word "significant" in the title of this thread has no bearing on the topic of the accuracy of the forecast ... except to provide an opportunity, for the few who feel strangely compelled to give #'s shit, to call him for his word usage. these people need to get a life.
Excellent point about the NWS forecast being impressive and that the descriptor used is far less important than the quality of the information presented. However, given that most mets I've seen would define a "significant" snowfall as in the 3-6"/4-8" range, meaning at least 3-4" falling, I would say the descriptor was reasonable for areas along/N of 78, where 3" or more were being forecast by the NWS. Or if one thinks 4" is the cutoff for "significant" then the descriptor was good for areas partway between 78 and 80, where the 4" forecast line was. Certainly, south of 78 and especially more than 5-10 miles south of 78 where 2" or less were forecast, this was projected to be a minor storm (although personally, given <1/2" of snow this season so far, 2" was major to me, lol). Just about all of that verified reasonably well.

That's hard to pin down. Can't find an accurate website with data. It has not snowed much in the last 5-10 years, so this winter feels higher than normal. But found this:

How many days does it snow in Sedona?​

Throughout the year, in Sedona, Arizona, there are 10.6 snowfall days, and 8.9" (226mm) of snow is accumulated.

Here's the monthly/annual Sedona snowfall since 1944, although for some reason it stops at 2010. The crazy thing is the huge variability over time, in that the mean is 3.8" per winter, but the standard deviation is 9.8" per winter, which is huge, because there are so many winters with no snow, but then a few winters with huge snowfall, including the record of 51" in 48-49.

https://wrcc.dri.edu/cgi-bin/cliMAIN.pl?az7708

With regard to total precip, the annual average is 17.8", reflecting the arid climate, and the average precip from Dec through March is about 7.6".

https://wrcc.dri.edu/cgi-bin/cliMAIN.pl?az7708

Any paved surface was washed away by midnight..not sure why schools are cancelling the night before..it was never progged to be that kind of storm on the roads
And who freakin’ cares? You have more important concerns this time of year. It helped a little with my commute this morning, so it’s a positive in my book.

And who freakin’ cares? You have more important concerns this time of year. It helped a little with my commute this morning, so it’s a positive in my book.
Weather.com would have been equally helpful.
#learntofish
:)

Weather.com would have been equally helpful.
#learntofish
:)
I’m good. I was going into work either way and what I meant was the delayed openings helped with my commute. It seemed easy to grasp, but I’m sorry if that was too complicated for you. 😎

Reactions: RU4Real
Current forecast by most is for mostly rain, so if that verifies, no. However, there are some models showing a few inches of snow for EWR for Friday afternoon/evening, so if things trend toward a colder/snowier solution, it's possible there could be delays (probably minor, as temps will likely be at or just above 32F, limiting accumulation on pavement and certainly on treated surfaces). Still a little early to know for sure.
Brief update on the Friday storm; have all day plans, so might not get to a thread with a lot more detail until late today (or maybe someone else will start a thread - don't care).

The Friday storm is looking more wet than white for most and much rainier than Monday's storm. Still looks like mainly a rainstorm south of 80 (and S/E of 287 from 80 up and around to Port Chester NY) with 1-1.5" of rain likely from Friday afternoon until before sunrise on Saturday (which could lead to localized urban flooding, but stream flooding is unlikely), although the precip could start as snow/sleet as far south as 276/195 with up to 1" snow/sleet possible especially as one gets close to 78.
Along and N of 80 (and N/W of the 80/287 intersection) there could be 1-2" of snow sleet before the changeover to rain. However, for far NWNJ (Sussex and NW Passaic mostly), the Poconos (Carbon/Monroe), and the Hudson Valley N of 287/Tappan Zee, there could also be 0.1-0.25" of freezing rain accretion on top of a couple of inches of snow/sleet, which could make it pretty treacherous Friday afternoon into the overnight; even there, though the precip will likely change to rain for awhile overnight.

Note that there is a chance this storm could trend colder and bring more impactful wintry weather as far south as the 78 corridor, but that's not the current forecast. Also, note that this should be a nice snowfall for the Catskills/Adriondacks and the interior New England ski resorts (6-12").

https://www.weather.gov/phi/

KloRf8p.png

A couple of mets said the sleet was likely due to lighter precip and poor snow growth up at ~15K feet and should flip to snow, as precip intensity increases and snow crystals grow better up around 15K feet, as it has over the last 15 minutes in most of EPA. All snow here now and falling decently with a coating on the ground.
Just Mets? No Yankees?

In a brilliant example of subtle comic irony, @Tango Two's humorous comic strip post is truly brilliant mockery of the wanna-be mean girls clique folks. And they're all giving it a like because they apparently are missing it. 🤣

Some days, ya just gotta love the internet. 🙂

Yup. Dumb decision. Most other local schools ignored the wishcasting and started on time.
A lot of times this decision making has more to do with zero available substitutes rather than the immediate weather conditions around the school. If you have 20-40% of the staff in Somerset commuting from north of I-78 where places picked up 4+ inches you have to make a call the night before now because if those people call out to clear their driveway they may only have 1-2 subs to go around before they have to call the day.

My wife teaches at a district in Somerset and they had a two hour delay precisely because of this, not the 1-2 inches of snow that didn’t stick on the road around the school. They had ZERO available subs yesterday, and is indicative of a much larger problem.

Reactions: T2Kplus20
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT