ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Slow news day. WSJ ships Jack-in-the-Box tacos from LA to NYC

Upstream

Hall of Famer
Jul 31, 2001
without a paddle
When I was a kid, I used to watch the Partridge Family and the kids in that show used to hang out at the taco stand after school. But I lived in NJ, so there were no taco stands where I could hang out. But there was a Jack in the Box across from Menlo Park Mall. One day, leaving the mall with my dad, I saw a sign in the window of Jack in the Box advertising tacos. So I told my dad that I wanted a taco and we went across the street. (I may have had to repeat my request 8 or 9 times before my dad agreed.) My dad bought me a taco and I ate it. That was the first and last time I had a Jack in the Box taco.

Now admittedly this was about 45 years ago, so I don't really remember much about how the taco tasted. But I'm pretty sure it wasn't worth the effort that the Wall Street Journal went through to get them shipped across the country.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/how-badly-were-we-craving-jack-in-the-box-tacos-badly-1484740802

Have you ever HAD Jack In The Box tacos? We have them all over here in Greenville, and they taste like cardboard. Blech.

When I first moved to CA over 20 years ago I needed a quick lunch. It was my first month out here and was getting settled in. Never ate at a Jack in the Box but they advertised 2 for $0.99 tacos. Went in and got two. Never had one since. The 2 for $0.99 should have been warning alone I guess.

Reactions: RUnTeX and brgRC90
Why anyone in CA not at a rest stop being forced would eat that idk. For some reason I thought it tasted OK in TX. In CA it was god awful

I ate a Jack In The Box taco......once. It was about 45 years ago too. Still have flashbacks.

When I was a kid, I used to watch the Partridge Family and the kids in that show used to hang out at the taco stand after school. But I lived in NJ, so there were no taco stands where I could hang out. But there was a Jack in the Box across from Menlo Park Mall. One day, leaving the mall with my dad, I saw a sign in the window of Jack in the Box advertising tacos. So I told my dad that I wanted a taco and we went across the street. (I may have had to repeat my request 8 or 9 times before my dad agreed.) My dad bought me a taco and I ate it. That was the first and last time I had a Jack in the Box taco.

Now admittedly this was about 45 years ago, so I don't really remember much about how the taco tasted. But I'm pretty sure it wasn't worth the effort that the Wall Street Journal went through to get them shipped across the country.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/how-badly-were-we-craving-jack-in-the-box-tacos-badly-1484740802

That's when Menlo Park Mall looked like a flea market.

Jack has new, bigger tacos that don't completely suck, but the tacos we're all talking about are just awful. BUT they are cheap, included in some "value" combos and just about the most perfect drunken bad decision food ever. So they move a lot of the damn things.

Bet you could mail them across the country with no loss in flavor, either.

Reactions: brgRC90
E. Coli in the box. All of their food is scary, even compared to other fast "food."

In multiple visits to the west cost & Vegas, I always declined Jack in the Box when my friends wanted to go there, preferring to stop at In 'n' Out instead. This thread appears to confirm my suspicions.

Reactions: hankee18
People have a weird affinity for west coast/non-local fast food chains. Can't say how many times I've heard people say if you are going to California you have to go to Del Taco or Jack in the Box or whatever. Its just one of those nostalgia things I think.

People have a weird affinity for west coast/non-local fast food chains. Can't say how many times I've heard people say if you are going to California you have to go to Del Taco or Jack in the Box or whatever. Its just one of those nostalgia things I think.
Never heard anybody say that one..In N Out Yes....but Jack or Del? No way.

When I first moved to CA over 20 years ago I needed a quick lunch. It was my first month out here and was getting settled in. Never ate at a Jack in the Box but they advertised 2 for $0.99 tacos. Went in and got two. Never had one since. The 2 for $0.99 should have been warning alone I guess.

Must be in the blood cuz a few years later when I first moved out to CA and had just moved into my new place and after unpacking I had a hankering for a post-midnight snack. I just happened around a corner and a block and a half up to what looked like the only place open at that hour. I also did not choose wisely for the 2 for $0.99 taco deal at what I thereafter dubbed as Jack-in-the-Crack. Never again, lesson learned. The saying that no good decision is made after 2am doesn't have to involve alcohol.

Reactions: rucoe89
Remember how good Taco Flavored Doritos were back in the day, they brought them back several years ago but it was clearly a different formula

Never heard anybody say that one..In N Out Yes....but Jack or Del? No way.
Funny thing was I didn't even think In n Out was that good...its ok, but not best ever burger that people claimed by a long shot.

I put in and out in the same category. Maybe marginally better. Still not "good" food.
Sorry disagree. Its great food. Fresh ingredients. Are there better tasting burgers out there? Yeah, which are loaded up with all sorts of terrrible additives that make food addicting. However In n out has clean labels, fresh made, great service, and a low cost.

And take this from someone who works in the Fast Food industry.

Last edited:
Reactions: RUsSKii
Sorry disagree. Its great food. Fresh ingredients. Are there better tasting burgers out there? Yeah, which are loaded up with all sorts of terrrible additives that make food addicting. However In n out has clean labels, fresh made, great service, and a low cost.

And take this from someone who works in the Fast Food industry.
I promise you if you ever have a Zinburger you will never have an In n Out again.

I promise you if you ever have a Zinburger you will never have an In n Out again.
not debating you. You can't compare a place that has 10 locations to one that is servicing thousands. People do not understand the scale that these large business have to offer. We talking about fast food here... not best burger. In n out is hands down the best FAST FOOD burger for 5 bucks.

You can't even compare fast casual to fast food. Thats why the Taco Bell VS Chipotle arguments always make me laugh.

Reactions: RUsSKii
Maybe it was the location then. I found my in n out burger to be much too salty for my liking. My wife couldn't even finish hers.

To be quite honest, its been a long long time that I went into a restaurant, fast or not, spent 5 dollars, and said to myself that it was really good food.

Zinburger is just OK. I think they are already overexpanded. Just like ShakeShack. Ive been totally underwhelmed at both locations lately.

Zinburger is just OK. I think they are already overexpanded. Just like ShakeShack. Ive been totally underwhelmed at both locations lately.
Really? I go to the one in Parsippany, absolutely the best burger in the area. Better than Tiffs, Smashburger, Fuddruckers, 5 Guys, etc. (all of those are better than In n Out in my opinion)

Really? I go to the one in Parsippany, absolutely the best burger in the area. Better than Tiffs, Smashburger, Fuddruckers, 5 Guys, etc. (all of those are better than In n Out in my opinion)
Maybe I need to try that location. I go to the one in Paramus and we have one by my office in Jersey City. The burgers are messy and fall off the buns. Too much mayo and greasy. I prefer the burger places that use the Pat La Freida mix. You shouldn't have to put an condiments on a great burger. Just my $.02.

Maybe I need to try that location. I go to the one in Paramus and we have one by my office in Jersey City. The burgers are messy and fall off the buns. Too much mayo and greasy. I prefer the burger places that use the Pat La Freida mix. You shouldn't have to put an condiments on a great burger. Just my $.02.
They are greasy, but never feel there are not too much condiments. I like the greasy. And they cook it perfectly. Medium is medium not medium rare or medium well.

In the early 70's there was a Jack in the Box in Roselle Park, don't remember eating there disappeared after the food poisoning scare.
Also in New Brunswick was a place called Tico Taco on the corner of Eason and Somerset (also on Route 22 in Greenbrook). Did eat there a few times, not bad.

ADVERTISEMENT