ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Smoked Country Style Ribs

RUSK97

Heisman Winner
Dec 28, 2007
CNJ
Planning my Memorial Day menu and I was going to quick-smoke some slabs of ribs (3-5 hrs). But then I came across these boneless country style ribs and was wondering if I can apply the same technique and get good results since they're easier to eat? Thinking rib rub followed by 200 degree indirect heat. Would require less time too. Would it work or would they dry out too easily?

That being said I use them to make pork candy and they are a huge hit at tailgates or BBQ's as apps

Reactions: SouthJerseyRU
Pork candy??!?
Yup. Also kind of a poor mans burnt ends.
Cover country ribs with spicy mustard and your rub of choice
Smoke at 250 until meat hits 170
At that temp they are still firm enough to cut into cubes.
Place cubes in aluminum pan and coat with BBQ sauce and rub. Mix it up.
Put them back in smoker for another hour or two until they are as burnt as you like them.
I serve with tooth picks.

Yup. Also kind of a poor mans burnt ends.
Cover country ribs with spicy mustard and your rub of choice
Smoke at 250 until meat hits 170
At that temp they are still firm enough to cut into cubes.
Place cubes in aluminum pan and coat with BBQ sauce and rub. Mix it up.
Put them back in smoker for another hour or two until they are as burnt as you like them.
I serve with tooth picks.
That sounds good! Thanks for the tip.

"Country Style Ribs" are the biggest ripoff in the meat department. They take a $1.99/lb shoulder blade roast and cut it into strips so they can charge triple. Buy the whole 4 lb roast, dry rub it and brown it on all sides in a low stock pot. Then put the lid on the pot and slide it into a preheated oven at 300 and don't touch again for 4 hours. It makes the best pulled pork ever.

So 250 is quite a bit higher than I'm used to, but approx. how long does it take to hit 170?
You can drop it to 225, which I have. Remember, not trying to slow cook them. Need them on there just long enough to absorb your smoke and get to 170.

"Country Style Ribs" are the biggest ripoff in the meat department. They take a $1.99/lb shoulder blade roast and cut it into strips so they can charge triple. Buy the whole 4 lb roast, dry rub it and brown it on all sides in a low stock pot. Then put the lid on the pot and slide it into a preheated oven at 300 and don't touch again for 4 hours. It makes the best pulled pork ever.
I was all over the Internet trying to figure out what the heck these 'country ribs' are...that said, If I'm not mistaken, they're easier to find than shoulder blade roasts.

You can drop it to 225, which I have. Remember, not trying to slow cook them. Need them on there just long enough to absorb your smoke and get to 170.
I'm so doing this for Memorial Day weekend. Small batch as I'll likely screw it up somehow. They're on sale at Stop&Shop for about $2 a pound.

Another way to cook them is Jamican Jerk style. Liquid jerk sauce overnight. than dry jerk seasoning and grill hot and fast. Outside char, tender inside. I agree this isn't the best meat to slow and low for a long time.

I was all over the Internet trying to figure out what the heck these 'country ribs' are...that said, If I'm not mistaken, they're easier to find than shoulder blade roasts.
At this point they are by far. From the meat department's perspective, it makes so much more sense to do a little cutting and get triple the price, never mind the fact that most folks up north just don't know how to make pulled pork so they won't buy the roast. If I want a bone in shoulder blade roast I have to get one from the Amish market or give the guy at the store a few days' notice. Even the Amish guys I have to ask in advance a lot. Down south it's still pretty common to find the blade roasts but here not so much...

Boston pork butt ..... smoke over hickory and apple until 135 internal temp at 225 grill temp ...... put in a grill pan with apple cider and cover ..... wait until 195 ..... let cool
...... pulll ..... serve

At this point they are by far. From the meat department's perspective, it makes so much more sense to do a little cutting and get triple the price, never mind the fact that most folks up north just don't know how to make pulled pork so they won't buy the roast. If I want a bone in shoulder blade roast I have to get one from the Amish market or give the guy at the store a few days' notice. Even the Amish guys I have to ask in advance a lot. Down south it's still pretty common to find the blade roasts but here not so much...
Op said they are on sale for 1.99 right now. While I wouldn't use them for my pulled pork it's a nice little alternative the way i described. If I want to make pulled pork I simply smoke the butt until done. If I'm feeling lazy, I will only smoke it for a few hours. Then put in crock pot with BBQ sauce for 12 hours. Pull it apart and then out back in with fresh sauce for another hour.

Op said they are on sale for 1.99 right now. While I wouldn't use them for my pulled pork it's a nice little alternative the way i described. If I want to make pulled pork I simply smoke the butt until done. If I'm feeling lazy, I will only smoke it for a few hours. Then put in crock pot with BBQ sauce for 12 hours. Pull it apart and then out back in with fresh sauce for another hour.
Yeah, I saw that, but they're of no use to me cut up, tbh, unless I'm going to dice it and use it to make a green chili Denver/Santa Fe style or maybe Hungarian Kolosvar layered cabbage. Your method does sound delicious but smoking is such a huge time commitment. The way I make the pulled pork there's a good half inch of mixed broth, aspic and melted fat in the pot when you pull it out of the oven, so you mix that back in with the pulled meat and add half the bbq sauce or less than you normally would because it's just so juicy already. Try it. Barring doing a whole pig in a La Caja China or Cajun Microwave, I have found no better way to make pulled pork, and certainly no easier, not by a long shot.

Yeah, I saw that, but they're of no use to me cut up, tbh, unless I'm going to dice it and use it to make a green chili Denver/Santa Fe style or maybe Hungarian Kolosvar layered cabbage. Your method does sound delicious but smoking is such a huge time commitment. The way I make the pulled pork there's a good half inch of mixed broth, aspic and melted fat in the pot when you pull it out of the oven, so you mix that back in with the pulled meat and add half the bbq sauce or less than you normally would because it's just so juicy already. Try it. Barring doing a whole pig in a La Caja China or Cajun Microwave, I have found no better way to make pulled pork, and certainly no easier, not by a long shot.
I'm kind of spoiled because my smokers are pellet smokers. I simply set the temp(like an oven) and the device keeps temp steady for up to 24 hours. Basically the set it and forget of smokers. If I want to tend to the smoker all day I also have a hasty bake oven.

Reactions: Son of Red
I'm kind of lazy because my smokers are pellet smokers. I simply set the temp(like an oven) and the device keeps temp steady for up to 24 hours. Basically the set it and forget of smokers. If I want to tend to the smoker all day I also have a hasty bake oven.
FIFY [winking]

I understand the ease of using pellet or electric smokers but to me BBQing is an event in itself. There is a challenge and a time commitment but that is a fun part of it. I may start brisket in the oven in the middle of the night but the smoker is fired up by sunrise and a majority of the cooking is done the hard way. To that end I only make certain great meats when I have the time to dedicate to it.

This is my new smoker. It's a beast. heavy gauge and big, as you can tell as it makes Scarlet look small.

5347_1100492153317213_969276506896387333_n.jpg

Last edited:
FIFY [winking]

I understand the ease of using pellet or electric smokers but to me BBQing is an event in itself. There is a challenge and a time commitment but that is a fun part of it. I may start brisket in the oven in the middle of the night but the smoker is fired up by sunrise and a majority of the cooking is done the hard way. To that end I only make certain great meats when I have the time to dedicate to it.

This is my new smoker. It's a beast. heavy gauge and big, as you can tell as it makes Scarlet look small.

5347_1100492153317213_969276506896387333_n.jpg
While I agree it's an event and this is cheating which is why it's banned from competition. Also have to take into account work, 3 kids, sports etc. If I want to bring BBQ to tailgates/parties it's this or nothing right now.

While I agree it's an event and this is cheating which is why it's banned from competition. Also have to take into account work, 3 kids, sports etc. If I want to bring BBQ to tailgates/parties it's this or nothing right now.
Like I said. I must plan to BBQ. There are benefits to both. Pellets and electric are less creative, for a lack of a better word but the opportunities are abundant. BBQ is time consuming but an art form.
Locally we do 4 events a year. Strict BBQ for 3 of them but Super Bowl Sunday is a wing contest and any cooking method can be used.
BBQ events are great.

My dad makes the best Zeberka Wieprzowe with Kapuscie (Pork ribs and cabbage) using Country Style ribs. I realize the ribs are not smoked, but it is my favorite way to eat Country Style ribs.

My dad makes the best Zeberka Wieprzowe with Kapuscie (Pork ribs and cabbage) using Country Style ribs. I realize the ribs are not smoked, but it is my favorite way to eat Country Style ribs.
To me "Country Style ribs" are poorly named. They are more like pork chops not ribs at all. If cooked correctly still delicious but different and do not require the low and slow method.

I'm kind of spoiled because my smokers are pellet smokers. I simply set the temp(like an oven) and the device keeps temp steady for up to 24 hours. Basically the set it and forget of smokers. If I want to tend to the smoker all day I also have a hasty bake oven.
My next door neighbor has one of those. I've been really tempted, it's such a sweet setup. If I was to take the plunge and buy a pellet smoker, what should I look for as far as must have features, and nice to have and so forth? I asked the neighbor, but the only response I got was "My wife bought it on QVC, I put the pellets in the side, it's great." Can't tell if it's because it was just so new for him or maybe he's just dumber than a bag of rocks.

ADVERTISEMENT