ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Snow Thread For Feb 6th & 7th Super Bowl Sunday

As of 2:45 PM, we had 7.5" down here in Wayne.

Sbc7Ri9.jpg

q0sVAqF.jpg

Reactions: RU848789
Then you're 8 miles from me as I'm right on the border of Jackson. Have about 4" here. Picked up about a 1/2" in the last hour and one more hour to go. Still coming down heavy.

You are over by the new Quick Chek on New Prospect on the road that goes behind Walmart? I am about 10 miles from there. I am closer to the section of Howell west of the Stewarts on 9 over by Farmingdale Road

I am old and out of shape but I can jog to Freehold and Millstone

accumulating snow over in Belle Mead, we are shy of 7 inches, snow is compacting rapidly, yes its wetter but its not your normal heavy 7 inches as the soft pillowly cotton flakes were more bark than bite

Reactions: RU848789
You are over by the new Quick Chek on New Prospect on the road that goes behind Walmart? I am about 10 miles from there. I am closer to the section of Howell west of the Stewarts on 9 over by Farmingdale Road

I am old and out of shape but I can jog to Freehold and Millstone
Over by Kent Rd. the road that goes behind the Walmart on 9.

At 1:50 pm, we're up to 5.5" as we got 1/2" the past hour. Snow just picked up in intensity, but looks like we're near the end, although I think we'll make it to my prediction of 6" for my house here in Metichen. Still 32F.

As of 3 pm, we have an even 6.0" of snow in Metuchen, which is actually what I predicted, which is kind of a miracle, given what the models looked like yesterday/last night. Snow is falling lightly and mostly over - could pick up another 1/4" or so. Fantastic, beautiful, easy-to-shovel snowfall - just finished shoveling round 3. As I said earlier, don't wait until after the SuperBowl to shovel as everything will freeze solid with temps in the teens by morning!! Still 32F and once the snow started falling in earnest this morning, cooling the column of air, temps were never above 32F. I know most don't want to hear it, but on to Tuesday, Thursday and maybe Sunday - the pattern that keeps on giving - up to 33.3" this winter.

We’re done in Lambertville. Just came in from clearing it all. 7” here...easy work for the snowblower and light and fluffy to shovel. Get out now and do whatever clearing you have to do while it’s still light and temps haven’t started dropping.

Wonder if it will be easier to shovel then. I may do that instead of getting the blower out get a workout too. Around 4" here so far
If you do it in shots, it's easy to do with a wide broom, pushing everything to the edge of the driveway and then just using the shovel to toss it over the bank of snow. I did 3 separate shovels of about 2" each that way. Probably tough to do more than 3-4" that way.

We’re done in Lambertville. Just came in from clearing it all. 7” here...easy work for the snowblower and light and fluffy to shovel. Get out now and do whatever clearing you have to do while it’s still light and temps haven’t started dropping.

I figure I will go out for the 3rd and final time around 4:30

Biggest measurement between my house and the beer store 4 blocks away(I walked with a tape measure) was a 1/4 inch on my grill. Temp never got below 34 so with that and the very wet conditions nothing stuck after hitting the ground.
I'm going to guess Wilmington might post nothing. So a complete whiff again.
However they also missed really low in Upper Bucks. Part of the 1-3" group got 8"

The gradient in Philly is unlike anything I've ever seen almost - just look at the snowfall reports below, where elevation and distance from the urban heat island are probably the biggest reasons for the differences. A decent amount of it had to be the heat island, since Cherry Hill, due east of Philly at the same elevation as PIA, reported 2.8" of snow.

...Philadelphia County...
Chestnut Hill 6.0 in 0230 PM 02/07 Public (far NW Philly, elev 450')
1 SW Somerton 3.5 in 0224 PM 02/07 Fire Dept/Rescue (far NE Philly, elev 200')
1 NNW Philadelphia 1.0 in 1146 AM 02/07 Public
Philadelphia International 0.7 in 0100 PM 02/07 ASOS (far S Philly at the river, elev 35')

The snow has pretty much stopped falling in Cherry Hill. Judging from the grill cover (of course, not a reliable measure), we got maybe three inches. The snow was really heavy in the late morning and early afternoon. I slept in, and so I don't know if there was rain this morning, but it was all snow by the time I got up.

The gradient in Philly is unlike anything I've ever seen almost - just look at the snowfall reports below, where elevation and distance from the urban heat island are probably the biggest reasons for the differences. A decent amount of it had to be the heat island, since Cherry Hill, due east of Philly at the same elevation as PIA, reported 2.8" of snow.

Philadelphia International 0.7 in 0100 PM 02/07 ASOS (far S Philly at the river, elev 35')

Philadelphia International nearly always runs low on snow amounts. Chester Hill is toward the north of the city, telling me that the north and west probably got a fair amount of snow.

Stopped about 45 minutes ago in NP. My side street is blacktop- DPW did a good job. Probably got 5-6 inches. Surprised at how light it was.

If you do it in shots, it's easy to do with a wide broom, pushing everything to the edge of the driveway and then just using the shovel to toss it over the bank of snow. I did 3 separate shovels of about 2" each that way. Probably tough to do more than 3-4" that way.
I did do it with a shovel. Snow was heavy but was compacted. Was higher earlier. Was a good little workout. Sun is coming out towards the west. Sky turning blue in a few spots. Looking to the next one. Maybe next weekend I heard?

Last edited:
Philadelphia International nearly always runs low on snow amounts. Chester Hill is toward the north of the city, telling me that the north and west probably got a fair amount of snow.
The Airport outdid South Philly where it was at best 1/4". You are right though, that the city can be more, sometimes dramaticly more.

Finished up between 4 and 4:30. Topped out at 7.5 inches. Sun was out after 5, really pretty out there.

Latest update is even worse, lol...

Fox Chase 3.0 in 0330 PM 02/07 Trained Spotter (NE Philly at the river, elev 190')
Philadelphia Internati 0.7 in 0100 PM 02/07 ASOS (far S Philly at the river, elev 35')

And Cherry Hill, across the river with 4.8" at elev 40'

NYC doesn't have that kind of difference, usually. For this event, Central Park had 4.5", EWR had 5.6", LGA had 4.2" and JFK had 6.5". JFK usually has less than the rest if mixing is an issue, but it wasn't for this storm and being closer to a further offshore storm was more important, so they got the most in NYC. For last week, CPK, EWR and LGA all had 17-18", while JFK only had 12.6" (with less due to mixing, as it's closest to the water and at the lowest elevation).

Latest update is even worse, lol...

Fox Chase 3.0 in 0330 PM 02/07 Trained Spotter (NE Philly at the river, elev 190')
Philadelphia Internati 0.7 in 0100 PM 02/07 ASOS (far S Philly at the river, elev 35')

And Cherry Hill, across the river with 4.8" at elev 40'

NYC doesn't have that kind of difference, usually. For this event, Central Park had 4.5", EWR had 5.6", LGA had 4.2" and JFK had 6.5". JFK usually has less than the rest if mixing is an issue, but it wasn't for this storm and being closer to a further offshore storm was more important, so they got the most in NYC. For last week, CPK, EWR and LGA all had 17-18", while JFK only had 12.6" (with less due to mixing, as it's closest to the water and at the lowest elevation).
Fox Chase isn't near the river. Far NW.
Chestnut Hill has serious elevation most can't ride their bike up into that section but very nice area.

What did Wilmington DE get?

Franklin Lakes- seems to be about 8 here...first time on driveway around 11am had a good 4 inches and at least that much again at 4:30...

One good thing is like 6” of snow is like a walk in the park after two feet.
Simple cleanup! Just an annoyance.
Do you know what's better? Not getting 4 inches earlier this week and getting nothing today! Winner Winner, Chicken Dinner!

Reactions: MulletCork
ADVERTISEMENT