ADVERTISEMENT

OT: solar. Looking into system. Buy or lease advice ....

nutfromSEC117

All American
Nov 2, 2002
no tree removal needed. Plenty of sun directly on roof. Anyone have solar ? Do’s and don’ts. Potential scams ?

Thanks !!!

A lot has changed, especially since Nov. 2016. The current administration has proposed large incentives and rebates for residential coal burning facilities and is sunsetting solar power incentives and rebates.

Reactions: RUinOhio
Mine works great..it powers my entire chick magnet bachelor pad including my electric commode and Eight Track player. Note, sometimes the music pauses when I flush, but it always resumes!
1462223270860.gif

Be careful. If you lease; any one buying your home later on will have to be approved by your solar company. I have had instances where a buyer qualified for a mortgage with a credit score of 680 but the solar company required 720 and would not approve the buyer causing the deal to die. I have given seminars or the legal aspects of these agreements and the benefits vs. the costs. PM me if you have specific questions.

I heard something got through the legislature that sunsets the benefits from solar in 3 years.

I heard something got through the legislature that sunsets the benefits from solar in 3 years.
Right, our Chief Exec says collection of solar energy is a bad business that doesn’t cause enough environmental damage. We need to speed up burning dino fuel of all types before the others get to it.

Right, our Chief Exec says collection of solar energy is a bad business that doesn’t cause enough environmental damage. We need to speed up burning dino fuel of all types before the others get to it.
No, I'm talking about the NJ Legislature. A friend of mine who put in solar 2 years ago told me about it last week: she's furious because with the program ending in 3 years there's no way she'll make her money back.

No, I'm talking about the NJ Legislature. A friend of mine who put in solar 2 years ago told me about it last week: she's furious because with the program ending in 3 years there's no way she'll make her money back.
https://solarindustrymag.com/solar-groups-applaud-n-j-legislature-passage-of-clean-energy-bills

According to Vote Solar, the legislation would stabilize the solar market through 2021, close the current solar renewable energy credit program in an orderly way, adjust the cost of the Solar Alternative Compliance Payment to reduce impact on consumers’ rates, and set in motion a process for considering the next generation of solar incentives in New Jersey.

A.3723 and companion bill S.2314, which would do as follows, according to the groups:

Create a community solar program to ensure all customers have access to the benefits of solar, including low-income and multifamily-residence customers; and

-----
Because having solar energy is a fundamental right, and everyone is entitled to the benefits of solar. :rolleyes:

Consider the age of your existing roof and if you would be coming up on a replacement interval prior to the end of your payback period on the solar, you may want to consider the cost impact of removing and remounting, which would negatively impact your payback.

I have 48 panels on my roof (I own it all outright). They paid for themselves within 5 years.

However, panels might soon be a thing of the past now that Tesla has brought Solar City. I think it won't be too long before they are doing solar shingles, which would definitely be the way to go.

Reactions: Unionst
I have 48 panels on my roof (I own it all outright). They paid for themselves within 5 years.

However, panels might soon be a thing of the past now that Tesla has brought Solar City. I think it won't be too long before they are doing solar shingles, which would definitely be the way to go.

I think they have started installing them this year, but the prices look crazy IMHO. It is still cheaper to install new normal shingles and standard panels. For now it looks like the solar roof tiles will be mainly for luxury homes where the design and look of the solar tiles (versus normal panels) outweighs the cost.

I drove by a home on the Jackson Freehold border that had them on the ground next to the house

On properties with.large lots I wonder why that us not more common

Congrats on reducing the future price of your home by 5-10%.
Why's that? Just curious. I don't have them, but is that a thing? Because they don't want to take on a lease? What if the system was purchased outright?

If you are only assessing solar based on economics and payback then you just really don't get it. If you're not also quantifying the benefit of looking down your nose at the environmentally irresponsible behavior of everyone else that uses non-renewable forms of energy than you're missing the real point of getting solar.

Just kidding - I do think it's a good thing even if it costs some extra money compared to other sources. I do worry about long term maintenance and roofing impacts though.

Are asphalt shingles really that attractive to you? Oooo, look, there's tar and crushed gravel on that roof - that gets me so hot.
I think you are missing what my neighbor has in his back yard. His backyard (not his roof) is a mini solar farm:

20.jpg

That is not an actual picture, but he has a bunch of those in his backyard. I only see them in the winter, and when the trees/foliage grows in, I don't see it, so it is no big deal. My next door neighbor has to look this though.

If you are only assessing solar based on economics and payback then you just really don't get it. If you're not also quantifying the benefit of looking down your nose at the environmentally irresponsible behavior of everyone else that uses non-renewable forms of energy than you're missing the real point of getting solar.

Just kidding - I do think it's a good thing even if it costs some extra money compared to other sources. I do worry about long term maintenance and roofing impacts though.
We're Americans. We consume 25% of the world's resources with only 5% of the world's population. We never have cared about the environment and never will. POTUS says there's no such thing as climate change, so fuhgedaboutit.

I think you are missing what my neighbor has in his back yard. His backyard (not his roof) is a mini solar farm:

20.jpg

That is not an actual picture, but he has a bunch of those in his backyard. I only see them in the winter, and when the trees/foliage grows in, I don't see it, so it is no big deal. My next door neighbor has to look this though.
Shifty - beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but I don't see anything wrong with that. The weeds surrounding the panels in this picture...well it's pretty unkempt, but that land is being used. I'm going to guess most would disagree with me, but it's functional. I don't think solar panels are the most gorgeous thing in the world, but they serve a purpose. I feel the same way about garage doors. Seeing two big garage doors on the facade of a house...not the prettiest things, but they serve a purpose.

Reactions: Unionst
Shifty - beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but I don't see anything wrong with that. The weeds surrounding the panels in this picture...well it's pretty unkempt, but that land is being used. I'm going to guess most would disagree with me, but it's functional. I don't think solar panels are the most gorgeous thing in the world, but they serve a purpose. I feel the same way about garage doors. Seeing two big garage doors on the facade of a house...not the prettiest things, but they serve a purpose.
Thinking about it more, there are equally unattractive yard structures such as those enormous playsets, or some sheds. Not the worse thing in the world. But still, they seem out of place in a residential neighborhood. Perhaps if the neighborhood was zone for 3 or 5 acre lots or larger it would be less of an issue.
That said, my neighbor has a really ugly old shed with moldy and cracked siding 5 feet from the property line, when the code for his lot calls for 25 feet. When I mentioned to him that we were going to put up a 6 foot privacy fence in our backyard, he said he did not want us to do that because he did not want to look at a fence. The fence goes up next week. We want to be good neighbors, but he seems a bit off base with his request that we do not put up a fence.

Reactions: RUSK97
We're Americans. We consume 25% of the world's resources with only 5% of the world's population. We never have cared about the environment and never will. POTUS says there's no such thing as climate change, so fuhgedaboutit.
In all seriousness, I do care and don't make just dollars and cents decisions around stuff like this. No different than recycling in a lot of ways - sometimes it takes a little more effort to recycle something than to toss it into the trash (i.e. cleaning that mac and cheese aluminum tray from Costco so it can be recycled rather than go to the landfill). Like I say to my kids all the time - if we don't give a crap, who will? If we don't try to make a difference why do we think someone else will? So if solar costs me 10-20% more in energy costs over time, oh well. It still feels right.

Reactions: RUSK97 and Unionst
I would get these, they look so nice:

pkms_tesla-solar-roof_blog.jpg
When I first bought my house, I did one of their online price quotes...$40,000 plus the cost of a Tesla PowerWall (required). The roof tiles were guaranteed to last 100 years, the PowerWall has a habit of needing replacement every 10 years or so.

no tree removal needed. Plenty of sun directly on roof. Anyone have solar ? Do’s and don’ts. Potential scams ?

Thanks !!!
I have been in the business for 8 years. I would NEVER endorse a lease scenario. Too restrictive if and when you want to sell your house. And every year your rates will go up by 2.9% and the production will go down for 20 years. My opinion, lease is a scam.

Buy a system if you want to go solar. Current average payback is 5 years and then it's free energy for another 20 under warranty. Even if SRECS go away in a couple of years, at least you're well on your way to energy independence. The Federsl Tax Credit equal to 30% of the cost is a great incentive.

Thanks !!!
I did a solar prepaid lease with Solar City for about $7000. Paid about $8200 total with replacing roofing under panels. I am saving $1,100-$1,200 per year on electric bill. Lease is for 20 years and my electric rate was 5.3 cent per Kwh(PSE&G is charging 18 cent Kwh). So my pay back period is around 7 years and after that I get free energy from panel for 13 years. At the time I had money in the bank earning 0.5%, so it seem a better return for my money and it does not hurt to be a little more green. I believe there is no problem when selling house with new owner having to qualify for lease because it already paid off. Was a little concern with high winds with the panels but went through Sandy with them and had no problems. Only thing I do not like is the system disconnects when a power outage. I safety feature being it is grid tie.

- make sure roof won't need fixing anytime soon
- I would only do inconspicuous sections of my roof for aesthetic reasons and resale
- I would go loan. If you have a company with an hic license, I would buy through them and lease it to yourself. You get more benefits from writing off the system in full, year one. Just make sure the lease is what a normal company would charge for something of that size.
- be careful of snow shedding. There's a few design means and products that can help.
- I would utilize optimizers. Meets the latest code of shutting down at module level, easy for maintenance and monitoring.
- Make sure your home owners insurance covers them.

Questions you can call, 609.658.0233. I do mostly commercial systems, but install some high-end residential from time to time.

Ron

Last edited:

They're talking about ending the program for new installations in three years. She'll still have five to ten years of srecs left with a limited supply. They're already up this year and will likely remain much higher for her. It's actually beneficial to her. They might cut off a few years at the end of her 15, but I would guess not.

I drove by a home on the Jackson Freehold border that had them on the ground next to the house

On properties with.large lots I wonder why that us not more common
Probably because it looks horrible. Whenever I see them on a roof I just wonder why someone would complete ruin the look of their home to save a few dollars.

In all seriousness, I do care and don't make just dollars and cents decisions around stuff like this. No different than recycling in a lot of ways - sometimes it takes a little more effort to recycle something than to toss it into the trash (i.e. cleaning that mac and cheese aluminum tray from Costco so it can be recycled rather than go to the landfill). Like I say to my kids all the time - if we don't give a crap, who will? If we don't try to make a difference why do we think someone else will? So if solar costs me 10-20% more in energy costs over time, oh well. It still feels right.

Well, have I got news for you. You don't need to clean anything to recycle it. All of those systems wash, re-sort, and then basically cook off all remaining impurities. It wouldn't make a difference if you recycled the tray full of mac and cheese.

Reactions: Crazed_RU
Solar is still pretty much a scam, it's way, way more expensive than other forms of energy, so you are relying on the government to make up the difference. And we all know, you can't trust or rely on Trenton for too long without getting screwed.

Well, have I got news for you. You don't need to clean anything to recycle it. All of those systems wash, re-sort, and then basically cook off all remaining impurities. It wouldn't make a difference if you recycled the tray full of mac and cheese.
Sweet - I've been liberated !

Reactions: Ole Cabbagehead
ADVERTISEMENT