ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Some delivery people starting to push back

RUich

Heisman Winner
Aug 2, 2001
Saw this on TV this morning. Looks like some of the people are starting to worry about themselves coming into contact with the virus. Can hardly blame anybody when you see the spread numbers and death tolls.
Just another serious problem developing from this pandemic. Many people are totally dependent on food deliveries and other things with the extension of the stay at home to the end of April.

There are already TONS of open jobs out there. And I am not surprised by this. All these current workers must certainly be concerned.
I haven't bought groceries in about 10 days but trust me when I say I will be tipping the cashier and bagger (if one) next trip.

Reactions: 1coastalknight
I've been working part-time at Amazon since August. You can see fewer people showing up for their scheduled shifts, which is fair enough, as they could be sick & I'd rather not see ailing employees showing up, even it is just a normal cold. They have been hiring, but not the large batches that you might see in the ramp up to holiday season. Possible that HR is keeping the groups small as a precaution.

here we go--more "stuff" to get the masses panicked--what a waste of time and anxiety

One of the things I have wondered about...I havent done delivery for food or meals but how are they sending pizza? Is it still a pizza directly on a cardboard box? Is that actually safe?

One of the things I have wondered about...I havent done delivery for food or meals but how are they sending pizza? Is it still a pizza directly on a cardboard box? Is that actually safe?
How isn't that safe??

Even before this stuff, when out or ordering from outside I tend to stick with hot food over cold food generally. Heat has a better chance of killing anything that may be on something vs say having salad or a wrap or what not. If it's a concern I'd just take the pizza out of the box, reheat it a little in the oven and wash your hands after handling and I think should be pretty low risk as you can expect.

The chances aren't zero but surface handling isn't really the way this thing is mainly transmitting it's mostly through droplets in the air. That's why if everyone was wearing a mask or some sort of facial covering (tshirt/bandana etc.) it could offer some "herd protection" because everyone is keeping their germs to themselves. It could dampen the effect of asymptomatic spreaders.

I ordered pizza last weekend and it was.

Other food deliveries in a bag I notice the bag being folded down and repeatedly stapled shut.

They all come in something shaped like this...

captain-america-civil-war-24-shield.jpg

Reactions: DennisHajekRC84
How isn't that safe??

Cardboard box- my understanding is that cardboard carries the virus. And even if the guy putting the pizza in the box has gloves, driver wears gloves, etc how do you know if someone may have sneezed. coughed or anything else on it? It is just a question I have.

“No contact “ delivery has been available for years. It’s becoming almost standard at this point.

You don’t want to see the delivery person and they don’t want to talk to you anyway. You pre-pay with a credit card and they leave it at your door and ring your bell and leave. You open the door spray the bag with some disinfectant, bring it inside and spray whatever is inside with a little disinfectant too. unpack everything put all the paper back in that bag and throw it out.

if you’re terrified pizza boxes are infectious, then stop ordering pizzas.

How is this complicated?

Last edited:
Cardboard box- my understanding is that cardboard carries the virus. And even if the guy putting the pizza in the box has gloves, driver wears gloves, etc how do you know if someone may have sneezed. coughed or anything else on it? It is just a question I have.
The guy putting the pizza in the box isn't putting the pizza in the box with his hands. He uses what is called a pizza peel. No human contact. Pizza is cut by a pizza cutter and than the box is closed. The first person to touch the pizza is you. The driver didn't open the box and touch your pizza. The Coronavirus is not found or transmitted by cardboard.

24 hours is the duration on cardboard. But you know just because it's living on a surface doesn't mean it's still potent enough to cause any harm anymore depending on surrounding conditions. It's not zero but it's low risk. Just wash hands after handing the box or what not and reheat things if your'e worried and you should be fine. Whatever gives you a little piece of mind, do it.

I guess sort of like the stock market, only go out as far out on the risk curve as you can handle and sleep at night. Same thing here.. wash hands, reheat food, wash clothes whatever gives you that peace of mind...do it. Everyone is different.

Last edited:
24 hours is the duration on cardboard. But you know just because it's living on a surface doesn't mean it's still potent enough to cause any harm anymore depending on surrounding conditions. It's not zero but it's low risk. Just wash hands after handing the box or what not and reheat things if your'e worried and you should be fine. Whatever gives you a little piece of mind, do it.

I guess sort of like the stock market, only go out as far out on the risk as you can handle and sleep at night. Same thing here.. wash hands, reheat food, wash clothes whatever gives you that peace of mind...do it. Everyone is different.
I request a special box that I made for my pizzeria--it is made out of vinyl siding, which is impermeable to the virus. I read it on another thread on this forum, and the person who posted that is a genius--so it must be true!!

Even before this stuff, when out or ordering from outside I tend to stick with hot food over cold food generally. Heat has a better chance of killing anything that may be on something vs say having salad or a wrap or what not. If it's a concern I'd just take the pizza out of the box, reheat it a little in the oven and wash your hands after handling and I think should be pretty low risk as you can expect.

The chances aren't zero but surface handling isn't really the way this thing is mainly transmitting it's mostly through droplets in the air. That's why if everyone was wearing a mask or some sort of facial covering (tshirt/bandana etc.) it could offer some "herd protection" because everyone is keeping their germs to themselves. It could dampen the effect of asymptomatic spreaders.
Direct hands to face is how it spreads... yes it’s an airborne virus however the chances are if you are not congregating in groups closely... maintain safe distances...and wash your hands religiously... infections are less likely... all said that could easily change as more studies are done on covid19... Trust China isn’t that correct?

Reactions: bac2therac
Direct hands to face is how it spreads... yes it’s an airborne virus however the chances are if you are not congregating in groups closely... maintain safe distances...and wash your hands religiously... infections are less likely... all said that could easily change as more studies are done on covid19... Trust China isn’t that correct?
Everything I read is that the mechanism of transmission is more through droplets in the air than surface touching. It doesn't mean surface touching and then to face isn't a mode of transmission but not the main reason. There was that patient 31 in that SK church group that accounted for 1100+ transmissions. That's not likely happening through surface touching. It's happening through the air. It's likely the reason in most of these clusters you see pop up.

Social distancing is probably more important than even the cleaning of things IMO but herd protection through masks would help...especially if we want to hasten and maintain some sort of normalcy in the future. If things go back to normal to some degree social distancing is harder to do as more people are out and about. IMO universal mask wearing can help hasten that return and maintain it as these cases will still likely pop up here and there in the future.

Everything I read is that the mechanism of transmission is more through droplets in the air than surface touching. It doesn't mean surface touching and then to face isn't a mode of transmission but not the main reason. There was that patient 31 in that SK church group that accounted for 1100+ transmissions. That's not likely happening through surface touching. It's happening through the air. It's likely the reason in most of these clusters you see pop up.

Social distancing is probably more important than even the cleaning of things IMO but herd protection through masks would help...especially if we want to hasten and maintain some sort of normalcy in the future. If things go back to normal to some degree social distancing is harder to do as more people are out and about. IMO universal mask wearing can help hasten that return and maintain it as these cases will still likely pop up here and there in the future.

Everything you just wrote reflects my understanding as well

we have been using instacart for groceries the past 2 weeks and the delivery people all have masks on. In this environment it is tough work where normally it is not.

We have been tipping more but the group that wants to strike is right that they should get paid a bit more when there is a health pandemic.

As for the retail jobs available, most are temporary so it is unlikely those hired will still be there 6 months to a year from now.

I guess sort of like the stock market, only go out as far out on the risk curve as you can handle and sleep at night. Same thing here.. wash hands, reheat food, wash clothes whatever gives you that peace of mind...do it. Everyone is different.

Correct on 24 hours of "viability" of the virus on the cardboard (and up to 72 hours on stainless steel and some plastics; the definitive study is linked below - viability of a greatly reduced level of virus on a surface doesn't mean one will become infected by it, but it shows the worst case), as per a controlled study, so best bet is to decon the cardboard and then take the pizza out of the box and put it on a clean surface/plates - the food, itself, especially hot food should be fine as ingestion is not a route of infection. The vast majority of transmissions are from close contact with the infected, either through directly breathing in virus-laden droplets from sneezes, coughs (or even breath, if very close) or from touching a virus-laden person (far more virus particles on an infected person than on any inanimate surface) and then touching ones eyes/nose/mouth.

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc2004973?query=featured_home

While transmission from objects is a far less common occurrence, not enough is truly known about it, so precautions simply make sense for anything you could touch, whether it's in a store, takeout, packages or mail. And remember to always wash your hands, preferably for >20 seconds in warm soapy water if available (sanitizer also works, but is more technique dependent and alcohol isn't quite as effective as soap) after touching any suspect surface (and especially any person).

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/02/...-spread-transmission-face-touching-hands.html

Last edited:
Tests in lab conditions that show the virus can live on a surface (such as cardboard) for hours or days, do not mean that it would survive in real world conditions for that period of time.
The hot pizza box in the insulated pizza delivery bag is a very different environment from a piece of cardboard in a petri dish. Its probably close to sterile when its delivered.

Tests in lab conditions that show the virus can live on a surface (such as cardboard) for hours or days, do not mean that it would survive in real world conditions for that period of time.
The hot pizza box in the insulated pizza delivery bag is a very different environment from a piece of cardboard in a petri dish. Its probably close to sterile when its delivered.
The chance of the inside of a pizza box being contaminated is extremely remote to begin with. Add in the pizza comes out of a 500-600 degree oven and goes straight into the box, is sliced and closed with out human contact with the inside of the box at all. It is silly to worry about pizza delivery as a way someone might acquire the Coronavirus. The chances are near zero.

Wrong, the outside of the box is not that hot and it takes temps of about 130F to destroy viral activity quickly and the outside of the box is not that hot - it's why we remove the pizza or any hot takeout food from the container - it's the outside of the container (and any bags) that is the main risk and yes that risk is low, but wiping the box in 5 seconds and taking the hot food out and washing one's hands takes negligible effort.

Reactions: thegock
The chance of the inside of a pizza box being contaminated is extremely remote to begin with. Add in the pizza comes out of a 500-600 degree oven and goes straight into the box, is sliced and closed with out human contact with the inside of the box at all. It is silly to worry about pizza delivery as a way someone might acquire the Coronavirus. The chances are near zero.
This. Imnmore worried about the buttons on the elevators in my apartment building when I go down to get the pizza.
And wouldn’t Yes be more worried about his mail then his pizza.

here we go--more "stuff" to get the masses panicked--what a waste of time and anxiety

Come to the hospital dude. I'll give you a 5 minute walking tour through some of our most special areas. Maybe with a mask, maybe without. Then you can have the opportunity to make that same statement. Ignorance ain't bliss with this virus. Unfuvking believable.

# :chairshot:

so you come inside, wash your hands, remove the pizza from the box, toss the box in the trash and wash your hands again

Reactions: jtung230 and Jm0513
Wrong, the outside of the box is not that hot and it takes temps of about 130F to destroy viral activity quickly and the outside of the box is not that hot - it's why we remove the pizza or any hot takeout food from the container - it's the outside of the container (and any bags) that is the main risk and yes that risk is low, but wiping the box in 5 seconds and taking the hot food out and washing one's hands takes negligible effort.
Think outside the box.
If I ordered pizza, would set the box on fire to kill any germs. Never have to touch the thing.

Saw this on TV this morning. Looks like some of the people are starting to worry about themselves coming into contact with the virus.

People worry about themselves, but I think people underestimate the concern workers have for bringing the virus home. I read about a doctor coming home from work and sleeping in a tent at home. Who wants to be the carrier to bring a virus home to family?

The guy putting the pizza in the box isn't putting the pizza in the box with his hands. He uses what is called a pizza peel. No human contact. Pizza is cut by a pizza cutter and than the box is closed. The first person to touch the pizza is you. The driver didn't open the box and touch your pizza. The Coronavirus is not found or transmitted by cardboard.

You forgot to say the pizza guy blows air from his mouth under the pizza before it goes in the oven. Common practice.

Think outside the box.
If I ordered pizza, would set the box on fire to kill any germs. Never have to touch the thing.
And if you get one from the place next to the ShopRite on 35 in Wall it might make it taste better. LOL

Never heard of having to order a pizza as “well done” if you want it done right.

If you are so worried and paranoid about catching something on a pizza box or other bags coming in then you should just huddle in the corner with a blanket over your head and stay there until kingdom come.

And if you get one from the place next to the ShopRite on 35 in Wall it might make it taste better. LOL

Never heard of having to order a pizza as “well done” if you want it done right.
Do you mean on 35 (the really old Shop Rite) or 34 (the newer one)?
Several years ago, my next door neighbor left a pizza box with pizza inside on the stove top. Their labrador was hungry, and he propped his paws up on the stove igniters, catching the pizza box on fire. Fortunately, the damage was minimal, and the dog was not injured. That dog was ahead of his time in fighting the spread of germs in a pandemic.

Do you mean on 35 (the really old Shop Rite) or 34 (the newer one)?
Several years ago, my next door neighbor left a pizza box with pizza inside on the stove top. Their labrador was hungry, and he propped his paws up on the stove igniters, catching the pizza box on fire. Fortunately, the damage was minimal, and the dog was not injured. That dog was ahead of his time in fighting the spread of germs in a pandemic.
Vinny’s by the old Shop Rite on 35.

I know more than a few who really like theirs. Also supposed to have great cheese steaks.

Reactions: ManasquanMike
we have been using instacart for groceries the past 2 weeks and the delivery people all have masks on. In this environment it is tough work where normally it is not.

We have been tipping more but the group that wants to strike is right that they should get paid a bit more when there is a health pandemic.

As for the retail jobs available, most are temporary so it is unlikely those hired will still be there 6 months to a year from now.

To have a job and be making money while other people are losing their jobs and losing money - it seems better than a raise . That is, until the government goes ahead and starts paying the unemployed . There are no easy decisions in situations as serious and far-reaching as this

It’s a tricky debate, but as of now, I’m leaning towards believing that those with jobs and uninterrupted income should not be flexing their capitalistic muscles . Once groups start thinking financially instead of compassionately in time like this, trouble starts

Here's another article referencing through the air transmissions. Sounds somewhat similar to patient 31 in SK where she too was singing in their gathering. One article I read said something along the lines of singing "boisterously" for lack of a better term projects the droplets out farther.

This one is about a church choir in Washington before the prohibitions of gathering...60 people, no one sick, no coughing, no sneezing they say, all with their own sheet music, no hugging or handshaking and trying to keep a little distance and 3 weeks later 45 have tested positive and 2 have died.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/choir-decided-ahead-rehearsal-now-023414705.html

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT