ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Songs where the background singers shine and make the song

Not a background singer, but Van Halen playing guitar on Michael Jackson's Beat It.

And amusingly, Rick Derringer played the guitar solo on Weird Al's parody of the song Eat It.
Eddie supposedly recorded it for free to boot.

Elvis's original backing band was pretty damn good: Moore, Black, Fontana, and Cramer. Plus the band that backed him from his comeback in the late 60's until he died, the TCB Band, was really good.

Drake - Hold On, We're Going Home... the older crowd on this thread may not be familiar, but one hell of a song

Reactions: Jm0513
Also, The Wall has one of the most memorable background vocals with the English kids. No dark sarcasm in the classroom...

Reactions: wheezer
Eric Clapton one of the back-up singers along with Phil Spector, keyboard player Bobby Whitlock (and two others identified by Harrison as “Cyril” and “Betty”) on George Harrison's My Sweet Lord. As many probably know, Clapton would go onto marry Harrison's ex-wife Patty Boyd, the inspiration for Layla.

Reactions: RU848789
Great Indigo Girls song— Michael Stipe takes it to the next level with his backups around 2:20 mark

Reactions: Jm0513
I guess the most obvious answer, if you go back far enough, is the anonymous bassman on Johnny Cymbal's "Mr. Bassman". He was the focal point of the song, and wasn't even credited!

Also "Witch Doctor" by David Seville. His backup band, the Chipmunks, soon captured top billing.

I'll give a second nomination to Kate Pierson. This one for REM's "Shiny Happy People".

The video was masterfully reprised on Sesame Street, with Pierson's role played by a Muppet. Note the wardrobe attention to detail!

Kate Pierson was a freakin' showstopper in the '80's-90s. Superstar talent, beauty, presence...

Reactions: NewJerseyGuy
Not sure if anybody mentioned it yet, but a song that immediately pops into my head is “Long Black Veil” from the Listener Supported live album by Dave Matthews Band! Song is incredible in itself, but the “Lovely Ladies” really shine!

Offspring......Come out and Play. "Keep em separated" sung by friend of frontman Dexter Holland (had to look it up).

ADVERTISEMENT