ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Sony PS Vue

ruknight87

Freshman
Oct 27, 2004
Has anybody tried this? Are local channels live? It looks like it is a real way to cut the cord and still get live sports on BTN and YES. Is it too good to be true?

I also am interested in cutting the cable cord. We pay Comcast a small fortune every month, but really watch only a small portion of the available channels. any opinions on Vue, Slingbox, Roku, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

My only two must haves are BTN and SNY. Thanks in advance .

Reactions: SufficientlyScarlet
I don't watch SNY or YES but I can confirm PS Vue works. I'm watching USC Cal right now. I use it on a Roku stick and FireTV. Of those I prefer FireTV

Has anybody tried this? Are local channels live? It looks like it is a real way to cut the cord and still get live sports on BTN and YES. Is it too good to be true?
Not all local channels are available. For example for my area only CBS. I would not get any other network programming live. In my opinion this is not cutting the cord anymore then switching from cable to satellite is cord cutting. While it a good price now it will slowly creep up in price as content producers demand more for carriage deals with Sony.

Reactions: Crazed_RU
I'm on day 7 of my 7 day free trial and have had no issues. I've been accessing PS Vue through the Kindle Fire TV and Fire Stick. I had no problems watching the college games on Saturday or the pro games on Sunday on the television. The Steelers/Patriots game was blacked out when i tried to watch on my phone but it did work on my TV. Hope that helps.

Tomorrow I cut the cord.

I have PS Vue and it has been great since I've had it (about 3 months now), provided you have a good internet connection. The middle tier package has all the sports channels you'll need. The only thing I don't know about is SNY since I don't live in the tri-state area, and local channels like CBS, NBC, ABC, Fox you don't get live, but I bought an HD antenna and get those local channels for free. Great thing is you can also use it as your cable provider sign-in information on any of the ESPN or BTN apps to stream stuff on your ipad or whatever as well.

Please tell me exactly what cord you'll be cutting. You will still pay for Internet service and still pay Sony for TV service. Make sure you add everything up, compare to all your choices, and make an all inclusive decision.

Reactions: wcfan10
Please tell me exactly what cord you'll be cutting. You will still pay for Internet service and still pay Sony for TV service. Make sure you add everything up, compare to all your choices, and make an all inclusive decision.
I agree with making sure you add all your costs up. For me, I pay $50/month for internet (and split that cost with a roommate) and Vue is $35/month. The other thing with Vue is that there aren't any 2 year contracts or boxes, installation fees or anything. You can cancel at any time without penalty so for someone like me who is really only interested in having access during football season, I can cancel after January when football ends and renew in August when it starts up again.

As long as you are in a major market area, the local channels will be live. I believe you can check on the sony vue website which market you would be in based on your zip code which determines which local channels you would get. In East Windsor I get the New York local channels. The sports channel availability on the medium package is fantastic. Someone asked about SNY -- I don't think that is available.

I agree it isn't fully cutting the cord, but for me it is definitely a great step in that direction and much cheaper than what I was paying previously.

So I pay $70 month for internet, $35 per month for PS Vue and $100 per year for Amazon Prime. So $115/month for everything. Last time I had cable I was paying $160/month and that was 5 years ago.

I hesitate to even include Amazon Prime because I use it for the shipping as much as movies but I'll use it to be conservative. Like others have said I only need PS Vue for football season although I'll probably keep it year round.

As long as you are in a major market area, the local channels will be live. I believe you can check on the sony vue website which market you would be in based on your zip code which determines which local channels you would get. In East Windsor I get the New York local channels. The sports channel availability on the medium package is fantastic. Someone asked about SNY -- I don't think that is available.

I agree it isn't fully cutting the cord, but for me it is definitely a great step in that direction and much cheaper than what I was paying previously.

There's also antennas for local channels.

Reactions: RUDutch and G-Bake
I recently was going to "cut the cord" for Vue, but I was able to get a comparable deal from TWC/Spectrum so I didn't make the change.

If it weren't for these options like Vue I likely wouldn't have been able to negotiate my current deal.

I "cut the cord" at the beginning of the month. I have Netflix, Amazon Prime and PS Vue and use Roku. My monthly cable bill was $205 but was increased to $242 in September. I pay $85 for Internet, $45 PS Vue, $10 Netflix, and Amazon Prime comes out to $8.33 a month. I get the New York CBS, NBC, FOX, ABC, BTN and the ESPN channels. It has been great for Football. As a Mets fan this is the only sports I am not going to be able to watch as SNY is not available.

The 2 biggest pains is that to flip around the channels you have to make a few clicks and search around and the content is on like a slight delay and is behind live TV.

question: does Vue stream older episodes like a DVR would?

Been a Tivo fan a long time and am used to setting up recordings and getting around to watching the shows when I can.

The problem I have seen with Netfilx and Xfinity streams is that the episodes, shows and streams have a limited lifespan. The xfinity streaming channel typically has something like the last 4-5 episodes. Have had cases where I cannot find one I have not seen.

I suppose there is a business reason for this.. like a DVD coming out on the recent season and protecting sales of that.

I am also curious if you can fastfoward thru commercials on Vue.

Thx

question: does Vue stream older episodes like a DVR would?

Been a Tivo fan a long time and am used to setting up recordings and getting around to watching the shows when I can.

The problem I have seen with Netfilx and Xfinity streams is that the episodes, shows and streams have a limited lifespan. The xfinity streaming channel typically has something like the last 4-5 episodes. Have had cases where I cannot find one I have not seen.

I suppose there is a business reason for this.. like a DVD coming out on the recent season and protecting sales of that.

I am also curious if you can fastfoward thru commercials on Vue.

Thx
This is absolutely the reason. The streaming and traditional tv providers negotiate with the content owners for those rights. Most of the rights give access to recent episodes on an on demand basis. They then disappear and reappear at times that make sense for the content owner - i.e. Make available in the weeks leading up to the new season launching, etc.

I agree with making sure you add all your costs up. For me, I pay $50/month for internet (and split that cost with a roommate) and Vue is $35/month. The other thing with Vue is that there aren't any 2 year contracts or boxes, installation fees or anything. You can cancel at any time without penalty so for someone like me who is really only interested in having access during football season, I can cancel after January when football ends and renew in August when it starts up again.
This is a great value proposition for someone like you. For others, particularly families, the traditional bundle makes sense. I have 3 kids all with streaming devices who watch content from all sorts of different channels and tiers. I watch all the sports and movies. My wife watches tons of cooking, network shows, etc. There's no way I could replicate easily all the content and viewing needs of my family without jumping through hoops.

Reactions: G-Bake
This is a great value proposition for someone like you. For others, particularly families, the traditional bundle makes sense. I have 3 kids all with streaming devices who watch content from all sorts of different channels and tiers. I watch all the sports and movies. My wife watches tons of cooking, network shows, etc. There's no way I could replicate easily all the content and viewing needs of my family without jumping through hoops.
Yeah I can definitely understand that someone with a family and 5 people all trying to do different things it can be a hassle. It's still not the most user friendly thing by any stretch and cable would be much more convenient.

There's also antennas for local channels.
This. People don't realize now that over the air has gone digital how good a quality TV is simply by hooking up an antenna. I have a cabin in the Adirondacks and I perfectly get all the local Syracuse channels like 80 miles away with a pair of rabbit ears.

Yeah I can definitely understand that someone with a family and 5 people all trying to do different things it can be a hassle. It's still not the most user friendly thing by any stretch and cable would be much more convenient.

Cable is definitely more convenient , but we are currently paying Comcast $265 month for phone, internet, and "digital preferred" TV. That's insane and I'm just trying to save some money. Already tried to get rid of the land line, which basically was gonna save us nothing. I kept it because at least I can give that number to businesses, since then telemarketers don't call my cell and wake me up all day (I work nights.) I leave the volume down on the house phone, and if someone leaves a message, I get an email.

Last edited:
I recently was going to "cut the cord" for Vue, but I was able to get a comparable deal from TWC/Spectrum so I didn't make the change.

If it weren't for these options like Vue I likely wouldn't have been able to negotiate my current deal.
This what happens to me when ever I consider changing from the cable company. Once I compare everything and call them to get their promotion to keep me as a customer it ends up cheaper or just a few dollars more just to stay with Comcast. This is the best part about services like Sony Vue is that it has forced cable companies to offer competitive pricing. You may need to make a few call or get to the right department but there are some really great deals out there.

This what happens to me when ever I consider changing from the cable company. Once I compare everything and call them to get their promotion to keep me as a customer it ends up cheaper or just a few dollars more just to stay with Comcast. This is the best part about services like Sony Vue is that it has forced cable companies to offer competitive pricing. You may need to make a few call or get to the right department but there are some really great deals out there.

I started this thread because I'm 11 months into my cable subscription at $100 per month. My bill says I am getting $99 worth of "promotions" which end in a month. I assume when I call them after a year they will probably give me about $50 worth of "current promotions" and end up at $150 per month. Also I'll have to call them back every 6 months to beg, plead and grovel to get the "new promotions" that I have not been notified about. If I forget, my bill goes up again until I waste 2 hours on the phone with them again.

I can probably get Internet for about $50 per month and Sony Vue for $45 a month which includes BTN and Yes, also ESPNU. If Vue gives me live local channels since I am in the NYC market (Morris County), I won't even have to buy the antenna and can save $50 x12 = $600 per year. A one time expense for Amazon Fire TV ($90) is paid for in two months. I may have to try this.

FYI, Vue is losing these channels today....:

BET channels

Centric

CMT channels

Comedy Central

Logo

MTV channels

Nickelodeon channels

Spike

Tr3s

TV land

VH1