ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Sorry but it has to stop

Status
Not open for further replies.

yesrutgers01

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Nov 9, 2008
I get the reaction by staff to shut down the CE board. I don't like what I read in there but it was a bad decision all the way around and just lazy.

Now, we are seeing threads that are OT being closed as soon as a moderator gets bored with the conversation. And we know that at least one of the most active mods got his rocks off on forcing every thread he didnt like into a 1 rating in his previous life. For the life of me, no idea how someone that did that for years ever got into that position.
Not realizing that this is how many friendships have happened on this board.

If a thread is going on for pages and it is not controversial and you do not have a handful of posters turning it into a 6th grade fight, just let your members talk about what types of animals they have running around their yards or what type of grill they like or some vacation information.

We get it, it is a football board. But it is also a community. And we can only talk about a make believe season or recruits that we may or may not see play another down in HS.

But a lot of us just enjoy chatting about everything and anything. Allow it! But make the effort to weed out the instigators.

It certainly would help if people stopped the personal attacks. There is no place for it, I have been guilty of it myself at times but its time for everyone to grow up. Its OK to disagree with someone but no need to call out someone because of their career or if they happen to still live w/ their parents at age 30.

Lets face it. THERE ARE NO SPORTS to talk about, everything is kind of OT at this point.

I get the reaction by staff to shut down the CE board. I don't like what I read in there but it was a bad decision all the way around and just lazy.

Now, we are seeing threads that are OT being closed as soon as a moderator gets bored with the conversation. And we know that at least one of the most active mods got his rocks off on forcing every thread he didnt like into a 1 rating in his previous life. For the life of me, no idea how someone that did that for years ever got into that position.

If a thread is going on for pages and it is not controversial and you do not have a handful of posters turning it into a 6th grade fight, just let your members talk about what types of animals they have running around their yards or what type of grill they like or some vacation information.

We get it, it is a football board. But it is also a community. And we can only talk about a make believe season or recruits that we may or may not see play another down in HS.

But a lot of us just enjoy chatting about everything and anything. Allow it! But make the effort to weed out the instigators.
200.gif

Richie and the team are going to need to figure out a good balance here or risk chasing people away.

Reactions: Jm0513
This is an opportunity for this board to collectively grow.

Blinders only work for so long. Sooner or later, you'll hit a wall.

Not naive enough to think we will all get along and agree- but discourse on uncomfortable topics should continue.

The coaching staff gets it- why can't this board?

If TKR wants to censor...it is well within their right. This is not a public space, believe it or not. No one HAS to be here. They own it and can manage it as they see fit.

Getting rid of the CE board was, in my opinion, a dumb idea because it removed the only valve to funnel that type of talk to but, it is their house and they can do with it whatever they want. Now that CE like posts are starting to pop up here more often there’s no to do with them except lock them up.

shrugging/arms up in the air emoji

We are trying to keep the board as civil as possible and I get that this is a community, so we try to let as many OT threads go as long as possible as long as they stay on track and in the topic of discussion. The one thing I do ask is that everyone refrain from posting threads about politics, as they get way too controversial and cause heated arguments that never end well. Thank you!

I definitely understand the tough decision about the CE board and its toxicity. But I agree with OP. Don’t let the pendulum swing so far that it takes the charm away from this board. Weed out the 5th grade nonsense but let harmless, non-offensive threads run their course.

Tricky time for the owner of this site and its moderators. Be careful, you could risk losing quite a bit.

I definitely understand the tough decision about the CE board and its toxicity. But I agree with OP. Don’t let the pendulum swing so far that it takes the charm away from this board. Weed out the 5th grade nonsense but let harmless, non-offensive threads run their course.

Tricky time for the owner of this site and its moderators. Be careful, you could risk losing quite a bit.

The CE board could still exist but the rules needed to be enforced with an iron hand - first personal attack? 2 week time out. Second? Banned.

Threads were allowed to run wild until there was no exchange of ideas - just insults.

Now I realize that's a full time job, maybe two full time jobs and that would require a lot of resources. If the owners didn't think it was worth in the cost then they did the right thing.

If you want to yell at folks you don't know on the internet go to huffpo.

Reactions: ClassOf02

Don't necessarily disagree. But are you applying to @Richard Schnyderite to be a moderator? :Wink:
Would not want to moderate these boards.

The CE board could still exist but the rules needed to be enforced with an iron hand - first personal attack? 2 week time out. Second? Banned.

Threads were allowed to run wild until there was no exchange of ideas - just insults.

Now I realize that's a full time job, maybe two full time jobs and that would require a lot of resources. If the owners didn't think it was worth in the cost then they did the right thing.

If you want to yell at folks you don't know on the internet go to huffpo.

I wasn’t over there too much. But it wasn’t hard to figure out who were the ones causing the problems

Reactions: RU85inFla
I don’t think it was the personal attacks that got rid of the CE board. The subject matters was starting to go over the limits and the tone of the thread. Even the subject matters were discussed in the past but the tone and attitude changed the last few years.

No one has explained to me the nuances of “abolishing police” or “defunding police”
I’d really like to know what that means???

Read up on Camden, circa 2013.

In short, the department was a mess, crime was skyrocketing and complaints of police brutality were escalating. The state and the city agreed to disband the Camden PD and allow the NJSP to assume enforcement duties while local law enforcement was reorganized.

The former Camden PD was relaunched as the Camden County Police, with different administration, different operational guidelines and an emphasis on community policing. Since that time, all of the relevant metrics have moved dramatically in the right direction - crime is down, especially violent crime. The relationship between the community and the PD has improved and the city of Camden, itself, has begun a resurgence.

I wasn’t over there too much. But it wasn’t hard to figure out who were the ones causing the problems

I think I agree but I was at my wits end dealing with them when I stopped by and had most of them on Ignore. So I'd recuse myself on that question just because of the fact I missed so many posts on my Ignore list.

In short, the department was a mess, crime was skyrocketing and complaints of police brutality were escalating. The state and the city agreed to disband the Camden PD and allow the NJSP to assume enforcement duties while local law enforcement was reorganized.

The former Camden PD was relaunched as the Camden County Police, with different administration, different operational guidelines and an emphasis on community policing. Since that time, all of the relevant metrics have moved dramatically in the right direction - crime is down, especially violent crime. The relationship between the community and the PD has improved and the city of Camden, itself, has begun a resurgence.

Minny police are already deep into Community Policing. All that's left is changing the name. I'm not sure a name change is what they are talking about - they seriously want to disband the police in Minny.

I can't wait. (Hey where's the popcorn emoji?)

Reactions: Caliknight
No one has explained to me the nuances of “abolishing police” or “defunding police”
I’d really like to know what that means???
Might mean fire the current cops, rehire the good cops and get rid of cops with a bad records and attitude. The unions have prevented management from firing only the most difficult ones after several years just like the teachers union. Corporations more recently In a takeover terminate everyone, interview them and hire who they want.

So the defunding of the Minneapolis police force has nothing to do with defunding state police ?
State police would assume the responsibility of law and order for the city?

Might mean fire the current cops, rehire the good cops and get rid of cops with a bad records and attitude. The unions have prevented management from firing only the most difficult ones after several years just like the teachers union.
If this is the case I wish they’d say it like that?
We are defunding our current police force and assembling a new one.
Normal people would like to think you can call a policeman for help

The new "county" PD is bought, run, and controlled by Mr. George Norcross. They cleaned up one mess, but signed up for another long term mess. Norcross essentially controls Camden now.

So the defunding of the Minneapolis police force has nothing to do with defunding state police ?

No they will ultimately have their own law enforcement organization

We are trying to keep the board as civil as possible and I get that this is a community, so we try to let as many OT threads go as long as possible as long as they stay on track and in the topic of discussion. The one thing I do ask is that everyone refrain from posting threads about politics, as they get way too controversial and cause heated arguments that never end well. Thank you!
Thank you Thank you Thank you There are a zillion places out there for folks interested in politics or current events.

Reactions: Phi_1055
I believe the moderators on this site do a terrific job given the tremendous pressure they are under dealing with the competing forces on this board.
Fine, I'll let you have a scotch at my next tailgate.

Thing is, if they implemented the approach you describe (one that I've advocated as well), it would only be a "full time job" for a short while. Those who couldn't control themselves would be weeded out pretty quickly.

Maybe somewhere down the road a new off-topic or CE type board can be started, once things have calmed down. But it would need a strict set of rules that were enforced equally, with either neutral moderators or moderators from both sides of the political spectrum.

As for the OT threads here, the key is to avoid capricious moderation, which is probably worse than none. Non-political OT threads have always been acceptable during the offseason. If there are going to be rules about how long those threads are allowed to go, they should be enforced consistently. Threads should not be shut down just because someone with moderation power got bored with them.

Tom,
If one of your loved ones get robbed and beat up, who do you call?
Who do I call if a stranger is attempting to break into my house?
giphy.gif

The watered down "police" they want to use as a replacement department will not cut it. They will be "police" in name only and have to adhere to the rules and restrictions of the ultra left.

Well, obviously somebody will. I don't know what the state vs. county vs. local LE landscape looks like in Minnesota. States do these things differently - here in New Jersey, we have zero first-hand experience with county law enforcement (outside of Camden, now) because the various county sheriff departments don't have enforcement duties - they police the courts and jails and perform investigative and apprehension tasks for the county prosecutor's offices, but that's pretty much it.

Here in NJ, when you have towns that don't have local law enforcement, the NJSP handles patrol and response. Millstone Twp. here in MonCo comes to mind. What you don't have are vast tracts of land which are "unincorporated" municipalities (such as in, say, Florida) where the county sheriff's office handles law enforcement.

The hard right is making huge noises about "defunding police", trying to convince people that it's the desire of progressives to eliminate police, altogether. That's absurd, it's completely fabricated and is nothing but a lame scare tactic targeted at low-info voters. The model is very much precisely what it was in Camden: Deconstruct the existing department and reconstruct a law enforcement agency that has a different mission and different operational guidelines, with a strong emphasis on community relations. Yes, there will be less manpower and, yes, it is something of an experiment. The goal of that experiment is to demonstrate that if you can engage inner city communities at levels which precede engagement with law enforcement - via enhanced education, community involvement, an increased sense of community pride and ownership - you can essentially intervene in the criminal development cycle and mitigate the necessity for overwhelming law enforcement.

If you think about it, this is the very thing that moderate conservatives have been advocating for years. We have always maintained, as a fundamental premise, that "the police aren't here to save you" and that, with regard to inner city populations in general and minority populations in particular, the real solution starts with education and responsibility. The current conversation represents the first steps in that direction.

There's no doubt that the road will be bumpy. But properly executed, it's the right path.

The new "county" PD is bought, run, and controlled by Mr. George Norcross. They cleaned up one mess, but signed up for another long term mess. Norcross essentially controls Camden now.

Again, this right here is the reason why we're now prevented by Rivals from having substantive conversations about things.

You have admitted on several occasions that you are a troll re: these conversations. It would be nice if we could have substantive discussions that reflect intellect and philosophy but given your admitted inability and unwillingness to do so, perhaps the best solution is that you simply be banned from them.

The hard right is making huge noises about "defunding police", trying to convince people that it's the desire of progressives to eliminate police, altogether. That's absurd, it's completely fabricated and is nothing but a lame scare tactic targeted at low-info voters. The model is very much precisely what it was in Camden: Deconstruct the existing department and reconstruct a law enforcement agency that has a different mission and different operational guidelines, with a strong emphasis on community relations. Yes, there will be less manpower and, yes, it is something of an experiment. The goal of that experiment is to demonstrate that if you can engage inner city communities at levels which precede engagement with law enforcement - via enhanced education, community involvement, an increased sense of community pride and ownership - you can essentially intervene in the criminal development cycle and mitigate the necessity for overwhelming law enforcement.

Isn't it the left that is using the term "defunding"? Maybe "reforming" would have been a better choice of words.

Well, obviously somebody will. I don't know what the state vs. county vs. local LE landscape looks like in Minnesota. States do these things differently - here in New Jersey, we have zero first-hand experience with county law enforcement (outside of Camden, now) because the various county sheriff departments don't have enforcement duties - they police the courts and jails and perform investigative and apprehension tasks for the county prosecutor's offices, but that's pretty much it.

Here in NJ, when you have towns that don't have local law enforcement, the NJSP handles patrol and response. Millstone Twp. here in MonCo comes to mind. What you don't have are vast tracts of land which are "unincorporated" municipalities (such as in, say, Florida) where the county sheriff's office handles law enforcement.

If you think about it, this is the very thing that moderate conservatives have been advocating for years. We have always maintained, as a fundamental premise, that "the police aren't here to save you" and that, with regard to inner city populations in general and minority populations in particular, the real solution starts with education and responsibility. The current conversation represents the first steps in that direction.

There's no doubt that the road will be bumpy. But properly executed, it's the right path.
We have a vacation home outside of the city limits of Sedona, and we are covered by the County Sheriff. We had someone repeatedly trying to enter codes to our front door to get into our house. Called the County Sheriff, and they arrived 24 minutes after the call. Not ideal. Minneapolis/St Paul will need a local law enforcement agency (ies).

Reactions: T2Kplus10

Tom,
If one of your loved ones get robbed and beat up, who do you call?
Who do I call if a stranger is attempting to break into my house?

Probably not the Minneapolis PD

Mo

Reactions: T2Kplus10
I never heard of this so I looked it up.

From what I understand, for the majority of calls to 911, a police officer isn’t necessarily needed, such as calls related to fires, medical needs or nuisances that don’t really rise to criminal mischief. And we know that the police are being put in situations where they have not been trained to deal with it (i.e., Drug addiction, mental health, homelessness, etc.) where cops are being asked to be social workers rather than police officers.

The police would still be needed to respond to actual crimes and I imagine would be on hand where situations may go off the rails, but the idea would be to respond to many of these situations with social workers and mental health professionals rather than directly and solely with police.

So they want to respond to certain situations where police aren’t needed with an appropriate person trained to handle the situation in question. In doing so, they would defund police and fund these other initiatives.

Richie,

Thanks for the note. If that doesn't work, one possible option is to do what they do on the College Football Soundoff Board. They have pinned threads for Current Events and Politics. Much easier to moderate/delete thread if needed. This way those that want to post do so in single threads.

The most hated/unappreciated jobs in America.

Collection Bureau caller..
Teacher.
Police.

Again, this right here is the reason why we're now prevented by Rivals from having substantive conversations about things.

You have admitted on several occasions that you are a troll re: these conversations. It would be nice if we could have substantive discussions that reflect intellect and philosophy but given your admitted inability and unwillingness to do so, perhaps the best solution is that you simply be banned from them.
Everything I mentioned is true. Sweeney and Norcross pushed this idea for years and cut a deal with Christie to sign off on it (and to give the Camden mayor at the time who opposed it a sweetheart deal). The Camden County police force in the city is completely and utterly a Norcross operation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT