ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Sous Vide cooking

ClassOf02

Heisman Winner
Sep 30, 2010
Anyone into it? Just bought one and used it tonight for the first time. Two great filet cuts cooked to 133 in the sous vide, then seared 1 minute on each side in cast iron skillet. Topped lightly with some garlic butter. Excellent result, cooked to perfection. I’m really interested in trying chicken, since I tend to overcook it out of an abundance of caution. It was sorta fun since it was the first time, but I could see the process getting a little cumbersome rather than just throwing it on a grill or cast iron.

Reactions: GoodOl'Rutgers
I use my sous vide more in the winter than I do in the summer. If you want to be certain about temp sous vide is definitely a great way to go.

I've done it with the prime rib that they sell sometimes at Trader Joe's. Marinated in garlic and olive oil and then sous vide for 4 hrs and then seared it on the cast iron. Came out great.

Anyone into it? Just bought one and used it tonight for the first time. Two great filet cuts cooked to 133 in the sous vide, then seared 1 minute on each side in cast iron skillet. Topped lightly with some garlic butter. Excellent result, cooked to perfection. I’m really interested in trying chicken, since I tend to overcook it out of an abundance of caution. It was sorta fun since it was the first time, but I could see the process getting a little cumbersome rather than just throwing it on a grill or cast iron.

What kind of container did you cook in? I know many people like to convert the Coleman 24 party stacker into a Sous Vide cooking vessel. The cooler also works well when you pull brisket off the smoker and need to let it rest or to transport it.

What kind of container did you cook in? I know many people like to convert the Coleman 24 party stacker into a Sous Vide cooking vessel. The cooler also works well when you pull brisket off the smoker and need to let it rest or to transport it.
Good idea using a cooler. We bought a container specific to the sous vide....it’s designed to fit the sous vide perfectly. Pretty sizable container, but not as big as a cooler.

I have one and love it. Everything literally comes out perfect and just needs a quick sear after. I've been cooking salmon in it and it's great...and the house doesn't smell like fish.

I like to do a 36hr cook on prime rib at 133 then sear it on the blackstone. Turns out great.

I like to put steaks in and let it do it’s thing while I make everything else. When side stuff is ready throw them in a cast iron pan on the grill.

Barely have time to use the smoker....lol I thought about giving it a try.
It’s great in the winter and it’s like a set it and forget it. Can run errands or sit and watch football and then it’s ready whenever you feel like eating. I don’t own a traditional BBQ, I use three smokers and I only cook with wood. I usually shut down and cover my outdoor kitchen after Turkey day so it comes in handy.

Reactions: RU Golfer
I use a clear restaurant polycarbonate food pan. It's about 5 gallons. I like to sous vide chicken parts for like 4 or 5 hours and then batter and fry it. It's bit of work but totally worth the trip.

I didn't like it. I know you're not doing it, but felt like I was simply boiling meat, just couldn't get over watching it cook in water. Then the gray slab that came out was unappetizing. We'd sear it but couldn't get that image out of my head.

I like cooking on high heat so I have a grill which sears. Like my mom always said, "blacken fat just adds to the flavor". For Prime Rib low and slow start in the oven at 6 am leave till dinner time at 122-125 degree interior and let rest. We never eat the whole thing so middle will be rare, perfect to sear for next day left overs.

Have been doing it for years...... Did amazing Filet Mignons this weekend - have a 38-hour brisket going right now.

you LoBro guys really need to jump on board (135-degrees for 30 hours... tender as can be).

Anova is good...... Sous Vide Supreme is next level good...

While I would use an air fryer for split chicken breasts - if you haven't made boneless chicken breast in a sous vide, you have no idea how amazing it can be... it's totally unreal!

41-NsSjoifL._AC_.jpg

014045324977.jpg

finishing in cast iron or on grill is great too... all works - and fun to try different -

Amazon product ASIN B07L6MH43T
51UqpFaXHxL._AC_SL1046_.jpg

or
61HD8LRA3GL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

Best resources:

Last Thanksgiving I did a TurDuckEn roll with sausage center.... OMFG... perfect!!!

Last edited:
love my sous vide....lesser/tougher cuts of meat shine in it. if you cook it for longer periods. I don't bother with a filet because it's already a tender cut. Ribs for 24 hours are awesome, and chicken breasts shine.

I use instructions from Jenji Lopez (see link), he explains the timing and temps very well.

Burgers are great too. evenly red unlike any grill can do imo.https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/topics/method/sous-vide

I didn't like it. I know you're not doing it, but felt like I was simply boiling meat, just couldn't get over watching it cook in water. Then the gray slab that came out was unappetizing. We'd sear it but couldn't get that image out of my head.

I like cooking on high heat so I have a grill which sears. Like my mom always said, "blacken fat just adds to the flavor". For Prime Rib low and slow start in the oven at 6 am leave till dinner time at 122-125 degree interior and let rest. We never eat the whole thing so middle will be rare, perfect to sear for next day left overs.
My kids have the same complaint. But as my mom says “when you are bring the meat you can have a say in how It’s cooked.”

Reactions: koleszar
you can sous vide year-round.. if you have a grill with a sear station combine the two. while I have not gotten into it.. several family members have and swear by it now.

agree hamburgers in sous vide are incredible...

and when you're ready - try homemade yogurt, cheese sauce and/or infused vodkas.......

agree hamburgers in sous vide are incredible...

and when you're ready - try homemade yogurt, cheese sauce and/or infused vodkas.......
I suppose if you can do yogurt you can also do a custard mix for an ice cream machine... hmmm.. yummm... just mix the stuff, put in the bag, seal it, slo-cook.. no possibility of burning like in a sauce pan or pot.. then allow bag to cool and then put in fridge for 24 hours to go into machine cold. Seems fairly convenient.

Last edited:
That looks incredible. So 40 hours in the sous vide....how did you sear it? Cast iron, grill, torch?

first, normally I'd go 143 - 145-degrees, but the wife likes medium - so I raised it a bit - it still comes out fall-apart tender (even if a bit less red)....

36-46 hours (you should always play around with time and temps and find-out what works best for you. (also depends a bit of thickness of the cut)

I usually sear in cast-iron or with Berzomatic - but, my secret for bark on brisket - is brush with BBQ sauce and in 600-degree broiler until just so....

Have been doing it for years...... Did amazing Filet Mignons this weekend - have a 38-hour brisket going right now.

you LoBro guys really need to jump on board (135-degrees for 30 hours... tender as can be).

Anova is good...... Sous Vide Supreme is next level good...

While I would use an air fryer for split chicken breasts - if you haven't made boneless chicken breast in a sous vide, you have no idea how amazing it can be... it's totally unreal!

41-NsSjoifL._AC_.jpg

014045324977.jpg

finishing in cast iron or on grill is great too... all works - and fun to try different -

51UqpFaXHxL._AC_SL1046_.jpg

or
61HD8LRA3GL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

Best resources:

Last Thanksgiving I did a TurDuckEn roll with sausage center.... OMFG... perfect!!!
Just got an Anova for Father’s Day. Looks pretty cool, and quite easy to use

I've done it with the prime rib that they sell sometimes at Trader Joe's. Marinated in garlic and olive oil and then sous vide for 4 hrs and then seared it on the cast iron. Came out great.

I like to do a 36hr cook on prime rib at 133 then sear it on the blackstone. Turns out great.

rib.jpg

8 hours in the sous vide and 15 in the broiler.
In my 26+ yrs I have had some incredible meals at work cooked for me by some very talented chefs.

I am not a big prime rib guy but one of my men recently purchased one of these things for the firehouse and it came out great. So good.

Reactions: RUfromSoCal?
rib.jpg

8 hours in the sous vide and 15 in the broiler.

I'm hoping you mean 15 minutes in the broiler?

In my 26+ yrs I have had some incredible meals at work cooked for me by some very talented chefs.

I am not a big prime rib guy but one of my men recently purchased one of these things for the firehouse and it came out great. So good.

I swear that with sous vide everything comes out perfect

I've done salmon in it a few times. Did boneless chicken breast & skirt steak last week.

I've been using one for years, I actually have 2 now that I use at the same time. Outside of the normal stuff mentioned above like steaks and salmon. I do a lot striped bass, vegis like asparagus, broccoli. For thanksgiving a I did a bird that was incredible. even did home made cranberry sauce. The best part is there was no drama worrying about overcooking, even did the white and dark meat at different temps so they were both cooked to perfection.

Reactions: MrsScrew
Interesting. I am into cooking but I had never heard of sous vide until today.

I smoked a 12 lb standing rib roast on a Pit Barrell Cooker yesterday. It is literrally "set it and forget it". Took 2 and half hours and came out perfectly.

I've been using one for years, I actually have 2 now that I use at the same time. Outside of the normal stuff mentioned above like steaks and salmon. I do a lot striped bass, vegis like asparagus, broccoli. For thanksgiving a I did a bird that was incredible. even did home made cranberry sauce. The best part is there was no drama worrying about overcooking, even did the white and dark meat at different temps so they were both cooked to perfection.

Cranberry sauce? do tell.

With the turkey did you just roast it for 15 minutes after to get crispy skin? were you able to get crispy skin?

For the cranberry sauce I used this receo
Cranberry sauce? do tell.

With the turkey did you just roast it for 15 minutes after to get crispy skin? were you able to get crispy skin?
For cranberry sauce I used this recipe. I've made it twice and people were blown away. I don't like cranberry sauce in the jar but I love this. What's great is you can pre make it and have it ready a day earlier.

For the bird I broke it down into sections so I could do different temps for the white and dark meat. I think I stated the dark 4 or 6 hours earlier at a higher temp, then lowered the temp and put the white in with the dark for another 6 hours. I pre seared all them in cast iron skillets before sous vide and after. A bit messy and logistically tougher. I will probably roast next year, much easier. I have a bunch of complainers so I thought they would not eat it if it looked weird not seared/crispy. People didn't care, we had 2 birds one the traditional way (made by the family matriarch) and the one I made. Everyone raved about the sous vide bird, I thought they were being nice but the traditional turkey there was lots of leftovers, the sous vide bird there was nothing left.

Reactions: MrsScrew
For the cranberry sauce I used this receo

For cranberry sauce I used this recipe. I've made it twice and people were blown away. I don't like cranberry sauce in the jar but I love this. What's great is you can pre make it and have it ready a day earlier.

For the bird I broke it down into sections so I could do different temps for the white and dark meat. I think I stated the dark 4 or 6 hours earlier at a higher temp, then lowered the temp and put the white in with the dark for another 6 hours. I pre seared all them in cast iron skillets before sous vide and after. A bit messy and logistically tougher. I will probably roast next year, much easier. I have a bunch of complainers so I thought they would not eat it if it looked weird not seared/crispy. People didn't care, we had 2 birds one the traditional way (made by the family matriarch) and the one I made. Everyone raved about the sous vide bird, I thought they were being nice but the traditional turkey there was lots of leftovers, the sous vide bird there was nothing left.

My sister is a Chopped Champion and fairly well decorated home cook. She loves sous vide. She attends an annual conference for it. Something she does fairly often that I haven't seen mentioned here is she makes cakes with it as an alternative to baking. Here is a link to her blog where she makes a sous vide chocolate cake.

Reactions: batts
ADVERTISEMENT