ADVERTISEMENT

OT: SpaceX Splashdown

Off the Panhandle coast at 2:48pm. Has anyone annouced they are covering it live on TV?

Are they “landing” like the boosters or splashing down like Apollo?

Speed at impact is about 15 mph thanks to 4 big parachutes.
I thought they used thrusters to land Space X? Which is why I really want my wife to watch it, she had no idea we had that capability. If it's just parachutes, we did that back in the 60's so who gives a sh*t.

Last edited:
I thought they used thrusters to land Space X? Which is why I really want my wife to watch it, she had no idea we had that capability. If it's just parachutes, we did that back in the 60's so who gives a fvck.
The boosters return with thrusters. Not the capsule. That whole fire thing on re-entry kind of makes it tough.

I thought they used thrusters to land Space X? Which is why I really want my wife to watch it, she had no idea we had that capability. If it's just parachutes, we did that back in the 60's so who gives a sh*t.

yeah sure - no big deal.......smh...... this capsule is twice as big as Apollo...

but, you are (probably) thinking about Boeing Starliner capsule (the other new manned system) which can land on either land or water for low orbit missions - though it must land on water for deep space (e.g., moon and beyond) - since it's travelling so fast on re-entry...

btw-- the Russians always land on "land"... mostly because the USSR had few, if any, warm-water landing location options - and didn't have the naval capabilities (water landings are actually much more complicated, time-sensitive and potentially dangerous). Also, that is why, to this day, the Russian capsules are so much smaller than the new Dragon and Starliner systems...

Last edited:
You should YouTube those booster landings. They are very cool like something from old sci-fi movies. Anybody have an update as to when we're getting the flying cars from the Jetsons?

Something the whole world should be watching and paying attention to..

The next stage for mankind is basically now starting

Reactions: hankee18

The booster stage lands with thrusters and is recycled for future launches; greatly improves the economics of launches.

I’m not sure if this specific capsule will be reusable, but ultimately SpaceX is hoping to be able to reuse capsules as well.

Something the whole world should be watching and paying attention to..

The next stage for mankind is basically now starting

When you look around at society today you cant help but laugh and shake your head. None of the crap we're arguing about is getting us to Mars anytime soon. Its sad

Reactions: ruready07
yeah sure - no big deal.......smh...... this capsule is twice as big as Apollo...

but, you are (probably) thinking about Boeing Starliner capsule (the other new manned system) which can land on either land or water for low orbit missions - though it must land on water for deep space (e.g., moon and beyond) - since it's travelling so fast on re-entry...

btw-- the Russians always land on "land"... mostly because the USSR didn't really have much warm-water landing location options - and didn't have the naval capabilities (water landings are actually much more complicated, time-sensitive and potentially dangerous). Also, that is why, to this day, the Russian capsules are so much smaller than the new Dragon and Starliner systems...
The boosters return with thrusters. Not the capsule. That whole fire thing on re-entry kind of makes it tough.
I'll watch it, as man it's humid as all hell out today so farm work has been put on hold. I just really liked watching the booster landings, now that's some Ad Astra movie stuff right there.

I'll watch it, as man it's humid as all hell out today so farm work has been put on hold. I just really liked watching the booster landings, now that's some Ad Astra movie stuff right there.

I posted a while back....... not only are those booster landing cool........ they are deceptively huge...

comment4wehomrle79utxlypqvm4ixdojlhfdfhjpg.jpeg

The blond haired lady in the middle of the front row is really annoying. Keeps looking at her phone and waving to people in the back of the room. Has not looked at her monitor once that I have seen.

opps that is the COO of spaceX. Looks like she is just getting FaceTime. But that explains her actions.

Last edited:
I posted a while back....... not only are those booster landing cool........ they are deceptively huge...

comment4wehomrle79utxlypqvm4ixdojlhfdfhjpg.jpeg
No sh*t, they definitely don't even look 1/4 that big on TV. The water just gives you no perspective on how big the barge and booster actually are. The workers really put it in perspective, now I want to watch another one.

The weather threshold for landing is 10 mph? That’s weak...

The creepy woman calling them “our space dads”...0__0

Hit the water at exactly 2:48!

Right when the cable box switched from :47 to :48.

Serious question. How do they shower? Is it waterless cloths to clean up??

Serious question. How do they shower? Is it waterless cloths to clean up??
Are you volunteering for the sponge bath job? Lol. There are some things I don't want to know about. Like how they go #2.

ADVERTISEMENT