ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Springsteen cited for DWI at Sandy Hook

whole thing is a joke in that a beer here or there shouldn't be seen in such a negative fashion At the end of the day, don't the taxpayers own the park? If an adult wants to have a beer, I see no issue with it

Reactions: RUDiddy777
Cops hate Bruce from his 41 Shots song. Interrupted their ability to gun down POC with wallets in their pocket

Never heard of that song.
But since I have him on my car radio channel 13 (IIRC), i'll listen more.

Does that make me a bad Trooper or a good Trooper ?

It makes you open to finding out about the back story and that you have the intellectual curiosity to understand the issue.

That's the backstory of the song, not the incident. The Bronx DA screwed the pooch big time by overcharging, particularly the 2 cops who were not on the porch, and the grand jury (there WAS a grand jury) reacted by not indicting.

whole thing is a joke in that a beer here or there shouldn't be seen in such a negative fashion At the end of the day, don't the taxpayers own the park? If an adult wants to have a beer, I see no issue with it

For most, a couple two, three was not the problem. The issue would be the idiots who overdid the consumption and couldn't walk under their own power or became unconscious. Now with alcohol banned on The Hook, I get to smell weed being smoked every other five minutes.

That sounds right to me. Thank you to you and the other posters who have educated me on this issue. As I say, I'm not a drinker, so I don't know about the practical effects of a drink or two on a practiced drinker.

There is one thing that I want to ask about. My impression is that grown people do not chug beers, but tend to sip them gradually. At least I've never seen anyone above college age drink beer quickly. But in this case we're talking about shots of tequila, and my impression is that shots are consumed quickly. So I wonder whether two shots taken quickly might have a greater effect than two or three beers consumed over time.

I would say rapid succession could have an effect, depending on the person, especially again (eg, smaller, lower weight would be more dangerous than a bigger person). But it's not a guarantee. Some people would be drunk on sipping two beers and some people could have 3 shots quickly with minimal effect.

Some grown people do chug. Personally, beer fills me up, I know a lot of other people feel that way. I'd rather chug a mixed drink, especially a non-carbonated one.

Cops hate Bruce from his 41 Shots song. Interrupted their ability to gun down POC with wallets in their pocket

Listen, what Bruce did was very vicious, songs criticizing policemen are much more outrageous than say, police having their eye gouged out with the American flag which we are told we need to "move on" from.

Reactions: MADHAT1
I would say rapid succession could have an effect, depending on the person, especially again (eg, smaller, lower weight would be more dangerous than a bigger person). But it's not a guarantee. Some people would be drunk on sipping two beers and some people could have 3 shots quickly with minimal effect.

Some grown people do chug. Personally, beer fills me up, I know a lot of other people feel that way. I'd rather chug a mixed drink, especially a non-carbonated one.

But isn't the point of much drinking is to savor the flavor, rather than to get wasted as soon as possible?As a non-drinker, I wouldn't know.

BTW, being a non-drinker means that the slightest bit of alcohol (a sip of a friend's bottle of wine at dinner) has a considerable effect on me. I don't get violent or anything like that, but I do feel high.

Reactions: NotInRHouse
Never heard of that song.
But since I have him on my car radio channel 13 (IIRC), i'll listen more.

Does that make me a bad Trooper or a good Trooper ?

You've got some serious ties to what was your occupation, to the point it's your identity.

You've got some serious ties to what was your occupation, to the point it's your identity.

That's not a problem. I am now a retired law professor, and there is just so much about me that is influenced by that. @BigWill is entitled to feel the same way. Law enforcement people acquire a strong identity from that having been their profession. So don't try to put him down.

For most, a couple two, three was not the problem. The issue would be the idiots who overdid the consumption and couldn't walk under their own power or became unconscious. Now with alcohol banned on The Hook, I get to smell weed being smoked every other five minutes.

Isn't Sandy Hook mostly federal land? NJ is terrible about bans everywhere, but surprised the feds ban it, too. Usually they do not give af.

Isn't Sandy Hook mostly federal land? NJ is terrible about bans everywhere, but surprised the feds ban it, too. Usually they do not give af.

That portion of Sandy Hook is federal property -- I don't know about the rest of it. That's why Springsteen appeared in federal court rather than state court. I imagine that the Feds ban alcohol there for the same reasons NJ bans it. Obviously, though, the ban isn't enforced vigorously except where a policeman thinks he can make a splash -- there's no mention of the police going after other drinking going on at the same time.

Reactions: fsg2
That portion of Sandy Hook is federal property -- I don't know about the rest of it. That's why Springsteen appeared in federal court rather than state court. I imagine that the Feds ban alcohol there for the same reasons NJ bans it. Obviously, though, the ban isn't enforced vigorously except where a policeman thinks he can make a splash -- there's no mention of the police going after other drinking going on at the same time.
Right and it used to be legal on the beach there up until a couple years ago .
The question is what happened to the other people? I am surprised none of them have come forward or sold their story to a tmz

Yes, federal land and the ban is enforced to an extent. I have seen people ticketed and their booze dumped out into the sand in front of everyone. As you might guess, limited law enforcement due to probable budgetary constraints makes vigorous enforcement difficult. Plus a little creativity and an eagle eye go a long way for those who want to consume.

Don't understand why NJ does it, either. I know it's banned at all state parks and I believe forests and most beaches, too.

Which is the polar opposite of much of the country.

Reactions: RUTGERS95
respectfully, he had a .02 and most people are not representive of the few a$$holes that get drunk stupidly in public places. Either way, I don't really care, I don't care if people get drunk and live and let live

respectfully, he had a .02 and most people are not representive of the few a$$holes that get drunk stupidly in public places. Either way, I don't really care, I don't care if people get drunk and live and let live

That last post wasn't in reference to Bruce. But yes, the A-holes are the ones who ruin it for others. And that is why alcohol is not allowed on the federally run land on Sandy Hook..including the beaches.

Last edited:
Reactions: retired711
But isn't the point of much drinking is to savor the flavor, rather than to get wasted as soon as possible?As a non-drinker, I wouldn't know.

BTW, being a non-drinker means that the slightest bit of alcohol (a sip of a friend's bottle of wine at dinner) has a considerable effect on me. I don't get violent or anything like that, but I do feel high.

Haha...that question is largely dependent on the person.

To me there's sipping tequila, sipping whiskey, occasions when you're having ONE drink where you're sipping something with a nice taste like mezcal or gin and tonic (but some would consider those acquired tastes).

But then there's others where you are just trying to get drunk. Like taking 5-6 shots of vodka before you leave the dorm in college for a party...which I have "heard" about lol.

It's like anything, I guess it changes with age. It'd be hard for me to finish a fat sandwich now like I could have in college, for example.

It was legal until a few years ago. Not sure what changed or why and if it was everywhere.

Technically Sandy Hook is part of the Gateway National Park which also includes the western area of the Rockaways which has surged in popularity recently.

It was legal until a few years ago. Not sure what changed or why and if it was everywhere.

Technically Sandy Hook is part of the Gateway National Park which also includes the western area of the Rockaways which has surged in popularity recently.

Thought maybe it was a factor of pop/visitation, but checked Golden Gate Nat'l Recreation Area for comparison - the most-visited national park unit by a wide margin, iirc - and looks like they allow beer/wine.

Looks like even the Pine Barrens bans alcohol.

A legit complaint about NJ state overreach.

Reactions: NotInRHouse
Thought maybe it was a factor of pop/visitation, but checked Golden Gate Nat'l Recreation Area for comparison - the most-visited national park unit by a wide margin, iirc - and looks like they allow beer/wine.

Looks like even the Pine Barrens bans alcohol.

A legit complaint about NJ state overreach.

Gateway is federal so not sure what the rationale for the recent change is. Especially if it's OK at other national parks. The funny thing is we have privately run beaches like Pt Pleasant where you can drink on the beach so they're basically screwing themselves out of revenue.

Right and it used to be legal on the beach there up until a couple years ago .
The question is what happened to the other people? I am surprised none of them have come forward or sold their story to a tmz

Begs the question of how TMZ found out about it in the first place, MONTHS after the incident.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT