ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Springsteen cited for DWI at Sandy Hook

Prosecutors said they could not meet the legal burden for drunken driving, revealing the 71-year-old’s blood alcohol content was .02, well below the .08 threshold.

Live footage from the posters who tried to force their cancel culture on the BOSS!!

egg.jpg

Yeah the Police did their job, despite the 'fame' of the operator of the motorcycle.

How awful...

Prosecutors said they could not meet the legal burden for drunken driving, revealing the 71-year-old’s blood alcohol content was .02, well below the .08 threshold.

Live footage from the posters who tried to force their cancel culture on the BOSS!!

egg.jpg

The Boss just stepped up to Ownership!

BRUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCE!!!!!

Reactions: NotInRHouse
Yeah the Police did their job, despite the 'fame' of the operator of the motorcycle.

How awful...
The police did the job that are supposed to do without caring about the celebrity status of the person being arrested.
The celebrity answered the police officer's questions truthfully , not trying to get out of trouble by lying.
When all was said and done it was the police doing their job and the person accused cooperating with the police and not trying to use his celebrity status to be let off the hook for his actions.

It turned out drinking in a prohibited area was the only chargeable crime committed and that was what the celebrity pleaded to and was punished for.
This thread had [people acting like that famous person done a real dirty deed and needed to have the book thrown at him, while others acted like his rights were infringed upon.

The truth is: justice was served and we all can go on to find other celebrity to attack or defend because the Boss got his just due and the prosecutor and court were satisfied with the outcome based on the evidence they could use.
Bruce accepted his punishment and shown respect for the law all though his questioning , arrest and court appearance.

Now on to the roll over beethoven thread to see if that tiger is out of the woods yet.[roll]

It seems like a case in which both Springsteen and the cops did something wrong: Springsteen by drinking two shots of tequila that were offered to him, and the police by charging him with DUI despite lacking the slightest evidence. To me, the cops were *more* in the wrong; at the very least, they should have abandoned any thought of charging him with DUI after seeing the breath test result, and, instead of trying to collect $500, just lecturing him on not drinking in the area again no matter what he's offered.

It seems like a case in which both Springsteen and the cops did something wrong: Springsteen by drinking two shots of tequila that were offered to him, and the police by charging him with DUI despite lacking the slightest evidence. To me, the cops were *more* in the wrong; at the very least, they should have abandoned any thought of charging him with DUI after seeing the breath test result, and, instead of trying to collect $500, just lecturing him on not drinking in the area again no matter what he's offered.

BTW, is a shot of tequila equal to a beer? I read somewhere that a shot of tequila contains eight times the alcohol of a beer. Is drinking two shots prior to driving really an OK thing to do?? I ask because I'm not a drinker.

• Angry
Reactions: rotorocker
BTW, is a shot of tequila equal to a beer? I read somewhere that a shot of tequila contains eight times the alcohol of a beer. Is drinking two shots prior to driving really an OK thing to do?? I ask because I'm not a drinker.

A shot of Tequila is nowhere near 8X a beer. Two I'd buy, but remember it's 1.5 oz. of Tequila and 12 oz. per beer.

Somewhere in this morass of posts I explained ESTIMATES of how to judge BAC.

Suffice it to say 1 normal size alcoholic beverage is the same as another.

Just like the normal/average burn off rate of 1 drink per hour, means you could drink an alcoholic beverage one an hour for 10 hours and still be legal as far as the breathalyzer reading is considered.

Somewhere in this morass of posts I explained ESTIMATES of how to judge BAC.

Suffice it to say 1 normal size alcoholic beverage is the same as another.

Just like the normal/average burn off rate of 1 drink per hour, means you could drink an alcoholic beverage one an hour for 10 hours and still be legal as far as the breathalyzer reading is considered.

But would you be impaired as a matter of reality even though you'd pass the breathalyyzer test? I'm sorry I missed your earlier post comparing various means of consuming alcohol. I was surprised by what I read because I always thought a shot was equal to a beer, and two beers does not strike me as incapacitating unless consumed very quickly, and maybe not even then. BTW, the item I saw was an effort to persuade young women to resist drinking shots, and I wouldn't be surprised if was overblown.

I am the furthest thing from a Springsteen fan (especially his political nonsense) but if the reports are accurate and he blew a .02 then this is a BS charge. End of story. I used to drink on Sundays at the Seagull Nest on Sandy hook - not too long ago and that was OK - why a .02 now - I call BS.
It seems that much of this stems from Bruce being pretty stupid.
Pure speculation but if an officer sees him drink, even if just a single shot, notices the bike is running and Bruce sitting on it with a good chance he will drive away shortly...he should come over, assess the situation.
upon doing so and feeling Bruce may be impaired, asks him if he was planning to drive, Bruce answers yes...
At that point, said officer is in the right to ask him to either take a breathalyzer or do some walk a straight line...
Bruce fails the physical part of it, refuses the breathalyzer and still insists he plans to drive...
There is no choice at that point.
He should have just told the officer from the start that he can hang out for a while not drinking or driving or calling someone to get him.
My guess, is that all of this would have been avoided.

Reactions: BigWill
By volume. A shot of tequila is equal to one 12 ounce beer. So your concerns are misplaced.

I may not be "impaired" but If I took 2 shots in quick succession, I would certainly feel it.

Depends on the beer.
In the US technically that is incorrect. In the US, a standard drink contains approximately 0.5 ounces (14.7 ml) of alcohol. Therefore, a 12-ounces (355 ml) beer with 5% ABV is one standard drink. Any brew labeled with the word "Beer" on it and no ABV listed is 5% or less. They are referred to as Domestic. Bud Miller etc. Craft Brews with alcohol above 5% must list the ABV on the label with a very few exceptions. Also most Craft and higher ABV Imports do not use the word beer on the label.
That is why brews like Colt 45 are labeled a Malt Liquor

In the US technically that is incorrect. In the US, a standard drink contains approximately 0.5 ounces (14.7 ml) of alcohol. Therefore, a 12-ounces (355 ml) beer with 5% ABV is one standard drink. Any brew labeled with the word "Beer" on it and no ABV listed is 5% or less. They are referred to as Domestic. Bud Miller etc. Craft Brews with alcohol above 5% must list the ABV on the label with a very few exceptions. Also most Craft and higher ABV Imports do not use the word beer on the label.
Interesting in terms of gov't level technicalities, and how they can turn the simple into mumbo jumbo. Higher ABV's not using the word beer? I never noticed that.

But in the real world it depends on the beer. Vast differences.

I think there might be a lot of overzealous policing in NJ. The cops down in Texas are great.

My brother lives in Dallas. For a long time (it may still be the law) you were allowed to have an open container while driving. There were numerous attempts to change the law, but legislators from rural West Texas and the Panhandle always blocked it. One time I was visiting, we were driving through the neighborhood and as we drove past one corner he mentioned that this is where they set up a DWI checkpoint every year during the holidays.

Me: " Well don't people realize that and avoid it?"

Him: "Those aren't the people they're after."

Interesting in terms of gov't level technicalities, and how they can turn the simple into mumbo jumbo. Higher ABV's not using the word beer? I never noticed that.

But in the real world it depends on the beer. Vast differences.
Yes most Craft Brews are defined on the label by style. IPA, Lager etc. They will have an ABV on it even if it is 5% or under. There are exceptions. Dogfish Head 120 doesn't list it's ABV as it varies by batch. It can be stamped on anywhere. It's range is between 16% and 20%. Eisbock's are also common for this.

Reactions: RU-05
My brother lives in Dallas. For a long time (it may still be the law) you were allowed to have an open container while driving. There were numerous attempts to change the law, but legislators from rural West Texas and the Panhandle always blocked it. One time I was visiting, we were driving through the neighborhood and as we drove past one corner he mentioned that this is where they set up a DWI checkpoint every year during the holidays.

Me: " Well don't people realize that and avoid it?"

Him: "Those aren't the people they're after."
When I was in Texas, lot of people would stop at the 7-11 and buy 1 beer to drink going home especially after work, I never did. They are very lenient down there from my experience.

It's purely politics - folks on the right hate Bruce for his political stances on a number of issues. And this will be less than a speed bump for his career/image. In fact, as a rock and roller, one would think bending the law a bit (without completely mangling it) as an old guy might just help his image with some. He's 70 and still riding his bike.

Thought it was pretty cool of him to stop and have some shots with the regular folks who support him. Seems even more bizarre that the right wants to tear down an actual working class hero - a man whose music is a tribute to the working class, while putting a phony who has spent his career defrauding the working class on a pedestal.

Thought it was pretty cool of him to stop and have some shots with the regular folks who support him. Seems even more bizarre that the right wants to tear down an actual working class hero - a man whose music is a tribute to the working class, while putting a phony who has spent his career defrauding the working class on a pedestal.
They’re crazy for Trump.

We're the people pouring the tequila and I assume drinking it also pulled over and ticketed?

I would say it's at best 3 beers and given Bruce is a pretty averaged sized man it should be evident without a severe medical issue to the police that would not make him drunk.

I would say it's at best 3 beers and given Bruce is a pretty averaged sized man it should be evident without a severe medical issue to the police that would not make him drunk.

That sounds right to me. Thank you to you and the other posters who have educated me on this issue. As I say, I'm not a drinker, so I don't know about the practical effects of a drink or two on a practiced drinker.

There is one thing that I want to ask about. My impression is that grown people do not chug beers, but tend to sip them gradually. At least I've never seen anyone above college age drink beer quickly. But in this case we're talking about shots of tequila, and my impression is that shots are consumed quickly. So I wonder whether two shots taken quickly might have a greater effect than two or three beers consumed over time.

That sounds right to me. Thank you to you and the other posters who have educated me on this issue. As I say, I'm not a drinker, so I don't know about the practical effects of a drink or two on a practiced drinker.

There is one thing that I want to ask about. My impression is that grown people do not chug beers, but tend to sip them gradually. At least I've never seen anyone above college age drink beer quickly. But in this case we're talking about shots of tequila, and my impression is that shots are consumed quickly. So I wonder whether two shots taken quickly might have a greater effect than two or three beers consumed over time.

What typically happens is that people are already drinking beer, and then have a shot or 2. This compresses the amount of time that they are adding alcohol to their system, instead of 2 beers in an hour, the shot equates it to 3 drinks in that same hour, so less time for it to wear off. Obviously, your blood alcohol level will be higher is you have 3 drinks in an hour and get tested than it would be if you have the same 3 drinks over 3 hours and are tested.

It seems that much of this stems from Bruce being pretty stupid.
Pure speculation but if an officer sees him drink, even if just a single shot, notices the bike is running and Bruce sitting on it with a good chance he will drive away shortly...he should come over, assess the situation.
upon doing so and feeling Bruce may be impaired, asks him if he was planning to drive, Bruce answers yes...
At that point, said officer is in the right to ask him to either take a breathalyzer or do some walk a straight line...
Bruce fails the physical part of it, refuses the breathalyzer and still insists he plans to drive...
There is no choice at that point.
He should have just told the officer from the start that he can hang out for a while not drinking or driving or calling someone to get him.
My guess, is that all of this would have been avoided.
It's not illegal to have a drink or two and drive. By this reasoning the cops should set up shop outside every bar in NJ and pull people over just for leaving the bar.

It's not illegal to have a drink or two and drive. By this reasoning the cops should set up shop outside every bar in NJ and pull people over just for leaving the bar.

But drinking is legal in a bar. It may be a minor infraction, but drinking was prohibited were he was drinking.

IMHO now is the time for this to fade away.

Only bad part about this whole thing was that Jeep pulled that ad. I thought it was a silly piece of advertising, myself, but the way it triggered the "patriots" was glorious!

But drinking is legal in a bar. It may be a minor infraction, but drinking was prohibited were he was drinking.

IMHO now is the time for this to fade away.

Yup. He owned it and then provided a cheeky “Your honor, I think I can pay that right now”.

Cops hate Bruce from his 41 Shots song. Interrupted their ability to gun down POC with wallets in their pocket

ADVERTISEMENT