ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Squirrel Removal

Zak57

All American
Jul 5, 2011
Last week a squirrel got into my gf's car at our house and damaged her main engine harness by making a nest and chewing wires. We got the car fixed and brought it back Friday night. On Sunday morning the same thing had happened and to a visitors car that we had over. We had sprayed the engine with peppermint rodent repellent but that did not work.

We've been told by the insurance people and mechanic that some parts are made with oils that squirrels are attracted to.

In my car I placed moth balls and a device that makes noise and emits ultrasonic sounds to try and deter from entering my engine. We've called some wild life removal businesses but a little pricey and they might trap some squirrels but we won't know if it's the same.

Is there anything I can do around the yard to try and deter them away? I've read everything online but thought some people here would have some other suggestions. And no I won't shoot them.

Reactions: Jm0513
Last week a squirrel got into my gf's car at our house and damaged her main engine harness by making a nest and chewing wires. We got the car fixed and brought it back Friday night. On Sunday morning the same thing had happened and to a visitors car that we had over. We had sprayed the engine with peppermint rodent repellent but that did not work.

We've been told by the insurance people and mechanic that some parts are made with oils that squirrels are attracted to.

In my car I placed moth balls and a device that makes noise and emits ultrasonic sounds to try and deter from entering my engine. We've called some wild life removal businesses but a little pricey and they might trap some squirrels but we won't know if it's the same.

Is there anything I can do around the yard to try and deter them away? I've read everything online but thought some people here would have some other suggestions. And no I won't shoot them.
Cat.

You can trap them with a Haveahart trap, and drive them relatively far away and release them in the woods. Put the trap not far from the car with peanut butter bait.

Find a Ferral cat, claws intact and feed him. He'll stay by your home and the squirrels will go somewhere else. I used to feed one on the farm, made him a little makeshift house and everything.. He would stalk rabbits, field mice and squirrels all day. Sadly, Hercules got squished by a car one night. Best animal I ever had on the farm, did his job for mere pennies of food a day.

Last edited:
Shotgun (edit I just read your last sentence)

kidding.. whatever you choose make sure it is humane.
This happened with chipmunks and the father of my child. I didn’t believe him until reading your post. He hates little creatures and I thought he just didn’t want them in his yard.

Jerk put traps all over filled with peanut butter. I saw an innocent blue bird with it’s head smushed.
I took a broom and set them all off. He had no clue…
hope he isn’t on this forum…
Hahaha

Does your girlfriend need a haircut?
I remember reading if you sprinkle hair near a garden the little animals smell the scent of the human and won’t bother it. Not sure if that would work.

Last edited:
You say , “ no I won’t shoot them”. Would you be willing to poison them? Squirrels are rats with just a fury tail. They harbor diseases such as the plague which is not good. Very few positives to extol about destructive this rodent species which causes more harm than good. The more trees in or around your property the larger the squirrel population. BTW: Did you park the repaired vehicle in the same spot ?

You say , “ no I won’t shoot them”. Would you be willing to poison them? Squirrels are rats with just a fury tail. They harbor diseases such as the plague which is not good. Very few positives to extol about destructive this rodent species which causes more harm than good. The more trees in or around your property the larger the squirrel population. BTW: Did you park the repaired vehicle in the same spot ?
You're a real treat.
Poisoning is a slow, excruciating, painful death.
I have never heard of any squirrel diseases problems.

Put out some birdseed in a little dish and gradually move the food further and further away from your car. You'll sleep with a clean conscious.

If you don't want to kill it, havahart and carry like Knight Shift said is the only option. If you don't kill it or remove it it will keep coming back.

Don't use poison whatever you do. Some other animal (hawk, fox, dog, etc) will eat that and the poison will pass to them.

Cat.

You can trap them with a Haveahart trap, and drive them relatively far away and release them in the woods. Put the trap not far from the car with peanut butter bait.

Thanks. This was my plan so good to see it might work. I heard peanut butter or marshmallows.

If you try trapping and relocating just remember two things - check local ordinances regarding relocating wildlife and move them FAR. My buddy at work was relocating squirrels from his yard about 5 miles away and he kept saying he had a never ending supply. One day he trapped one with half a tail and 2 days later it was back. Just to confirm the next one he trapped he spray painted the suckers tail yellow. Two days later yellow tail was back. He started dropping them of 15 miles away and that seemed to work.

I want to get rid of it humanely. I will do the trap. Definitely no poison.
That's wild the squirrel(s) went for wiring on two different cars.

Forget how we did it with a different trapped animal, but be sure to have a long stick or pole to open the trap so that you are not to close to the trap when you open it. Most squirrels will not attack but you don't want that one from Christmas Vacation!

c558cb4e4887f131bc6fd0893548091c.gif

Forget how we did it with a different trapped animal, but be sure to have a long stick or pole to open the trap so that you are not to close to the trap when you open it. Most squirrels will not attack but you don't want that one from Christmas Vacation!

2 different cars but same make/model so I think it's attracted to the parts.

I follow a girl on Instagram who saved a baby squirrel and now he is her pet. The woman makes little hats for it. Kinda odd but she is adorable. Maybe Zak wants a tiny pet?
8n7IKNg.jpg

You're a real treat.
Poisoning is a slow, excruciating, painful death.
I have never heard of any squirrel diseases problems.

Put out some birdseed in a little dish and gradually move the food further and further away from your car. You'll sleep with a clean conscious.
I’m more than a treat I’m not a squirrel lover nor a RAT lover… squirrels carry disease… destroy property… just ask the guy who posted about his cars electrical harness being destroyed twice… I love nature and animals except those which do more harm than good. Did you ever get squirrels in an attic or loft or wall? And as I told him, why did you park it again where the destruction started? I sleep real well but “ Rocky “ the squirrel I can live without.

Did I stutter? You ran like a little squirrel from the Billions thread after I had proof from the co creator about Dollar Bill.
Squirrel killer!
Yeah you stuttered … you need to take pause troll… The Billions thing is still stuck in your craw? Shows what drives some on here. I was given incorrect info. In this era you should well understand that some things need to be further researched. My bad… now get some rest.

• Haha
Same thing happened to my son when he was at Monmouth. Apparently, it was known to happen in the lots behind the dorms.

I follow a girl on Instagram who saved a baby squirrel and now he is her pet. The woman makes little hats for it. Kinda odd but she is adorable. Maybe Zak wants a tiny pet?
8n7IKNg.jpg

No thanks!! Cute pic though!

Funny story. Lived in Pinehurst NC for a couple decades. A very conservative, fru-fru environs. Well, one on my neighbors had this elaborate garden. Picture perfect. Squirrels were wreaking havoc. The lady of the home was a Brasilian. She "live" trapped the offenders. A half dozen. Put them in a canvas bag. And drowned them in a bath tub. She was also very prominent in the croquet circle at the resort/club. We laughed at her and with her. Often.

• Haha
Reactions: mildone
I lost a lawn mower to a mouse building a nest in the engine

Mickey died in the fire

But so did the mower

• Sad
Cat.

I actually did that some years ago. Even put out two traps in the morning, each had a squirrel when I returned from work. Drove them out 5 miles away before releasing them into a wooded area. Still they came until I had trapped and removed 26 of the critters. Even sprayed their tails with black paint to make sure they weren't finding their way back. Finally gave up. Apparently when one squirrel leaves his territory, another moves right in!

I actually did that some years ago. Even put out two traps in the morning, each had a squirrel when I returned from work. Drove them out 5 miles away before releasing them into a wooded area. Still they came until I had trapped and removed 26 of the critters. Even sprayed their tails with black paint to make sure they weren't finding their way back. Finally gave up. Apparently when one squirrel leaves his territory, another moves right in!

It's like a mafia war. You need to take out the whole family.

I’m more than a treat I’m not a squirrel lover nor a RAT lover… squirrels carry disease… destroy property… just ask the guy who posted about his cars electrical harness being destroyed twice… I love nature and animals except those which do more harm than good. Did you ever get squirrels in an attic or loft or wall? And as I told him, why did you park it again where the destruction started? I sleep real well but “ Rocky “ the squirrel I can live without.
You're more likely to get struck by lightning than a squirrel making you sick.

If you're set on killing things, I would reconsider poisoning as the method of disposal. It's inhumane. The animal will suffer a horrible death.

If you're set on killing things, I would reconsider poisoning as the method of disposal. It's inhumane. The animal will suffer a horrible death.

I see you’ve never spent time out in the west or southwestern portion of the US ? A squirrel is a rat or rodent which resembles Mike Krezyswski . They can and have spread disease at times.

Shoot them. 😀

Cat.

Or, one can kill two birds with one squirrel and release them into the garages of people who piss ya off.

Find a Ferral cat, claws intact and feed him. He'll stay by your home and the squirrels will go somewhere else. I used to feed one on the farm, made him a little makeshift house and everything.. He would stalk rabbits, field mice and squirrels all day. Sadly, Hercules got squished by a car one night. Best animal I ever had on the farm, did his job for mere pennies of food a day.
So actually, this may not work so well. Our neighborhood has about 4-5 feral cats. A couple neighbors apparently feed them, so they're kind of like neighborhood pets at this point, always around.

However, while they occasionally do a bit of hunting for sport, their little lazy cat hearts just aren't into it. So the squirrel population in our neighborhood is fairly high despite all the feral cats. And the squirrels run around in plain view of the cats while the cats are out sunning themselves on my back deck.

I suspect if the neighbors didn't feed them, they'd be more into hunting and killing squirrels. If the squirrels get into my garage and mess w/my engines, I'm gonna shoot them. But then, if any of my neighbors get into my garage and mess w/my cars, I'd probably want to shoot them too. Might not eat the neighbors like the squirrels, though. Depends.

Reactions: ScarletEd
Shotgun (edit I just read your last sentence)

kidding.. whatever you choose make sure it is humane.
This happened with chipmunks and the father of my child. I didn’t believe him until reading your post. He hates little creatures and I thought he just didn’t want them in his yard.
Wait. You shot your ex with a shotgun because he came in your yard with some chipmunks? I'm so confused.

• Haha
Cat.

then once trapped, drop the trap in a large tub of water and Cee-ya. The most humane way to permanantly get rid of the flea-bitten, rabbies spreading varmit.

ADVERTISEMENT