ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Squirrel Removal

Out here pack rats can be a major problem... The neighbors on each side of us park their cars in their driveways and both have had serious engine damage from pack rats chewing through the wiring multiple times.. Peppermint oil and peppermint based repellents didn't stop it. But for the past year both have been using the little Rid-A-Rat strobelights under the hoods of their cars and haven't had any additional problems. Don't know if that would work for squirrels though.

Last edited:
However, while they occasionally do a bit of hunting for sport, their little lazy cat hearts just aren't into it. So the squirrel population in our neighborhood is fairly high despite all the feral cats. And the squirrels run around in plain view of the cats while the cats are out sunning themselves on my back deck.

I suspect if the neighbors didn't feed them, they'd be more into hunting and killing squirrels.
Hercules got one meal a day at night. He used to wait for me on my retaining wall. During the day I'd see him in the pasture stalking his prey. Sure at times he would run around trying to catch butterflies like an idiot, but just his presence kept the squirrels in the wetlands and out of the orchard.

Word must have gotten around in the squirrel community not to fvck with him. He probably killed their leader. 😁 My wife has barn cats but they suck and don't hold a candle to the Legendary Hercules.

Last edited:
Reactions: mildone
Curious what the C stands for..isn’t it usually GFYS?
He basically asked me to perform an anatomically unlikely act while also sharing his belief as to my sexual preferences. I'm still laughing that it took it him three attempts to post it correctly, and he STILL didn't get it right. ROFL

Reactions: Jm0513
So actually, this may not work so well. Our neighborhood has about 4-5 feral cats. A couple neighbors apparently feed them, so they're kind of like neighborhood pets at this point, always around.

However, while they occasionally do a bit of hunting for sport, their little lazy cat hearts just aren't into it. So the squirrel population in our neighborhood is fairly high despite all the feral cats. And the squirrels run around in plain view of the cats while the cats are out sunning themselves on my back deck.

I suspect if the neighbors didn't feed them, they'd be more into hunting and killing squirrels. If the squirrels get into my garage and mess w/my engines, I'm gonna shoot them. But then, if any of my neighbors get into my garage and mess w/my cars, I'd probably want to shoot them too. Might not eat the neighbors like the squirrels, though. Depends.

LOL...LOL

Try this (squirrel catapault … i hear no squirrels are injured 😉)

I have squirrels in my porch roof right now. Just sprayed some brake cleaner on a rag and plugged the hole. They’ll be gone tomorrow. I’ve done this every week since the hole appeared about a month ago. It works … it’s my temp solution until I can do a real repair.

Canned air horns - one of civilizations most underappreciated tools

Great of golfers/gophers too.

mqdefault.jpg

72c238a4-e4fa-49b4-b6db-be14b31f2141_text.gif

Reactions: ashokan
Out here pack rats can be a major problem... The neighbors on each side of us park their cars in their driveways and both have had serious engine damage from pack rats chewing through the wiring multiple times.. Peppermint oil and peppermint based repellents didn't stop it. But for the past year both have been using the little Rid-A-Rat strobelights under the hoods of their cars and haven't had any additional problems. Don't know if that would work for squirrels though.
had to look this up

Strobes don't work for everyone, but many people, including my neighbors, have used them with good results.

The strobe units that my neighbors use are under 50 bucks, and are about the size of a deck of playing cards.... The device comes in a wired version that you connect to the car battery, or a battery operated version that uses 2 AA batteries that last at least several months... Both contain magnets for easy connection to the underside of the car's hood or other metal surface.

According to the manufacturer's website:

"It works on the principle that the light causes repeated contraction of the iris and therefore causes eye fatigue. This interferes with the ordinary behavior and causes rats and other small animals to seek other shelters for nesting, which is the primary reason vehicles are targeted as a safe shelter for rat pups/young."

https://rid-a-rat.com/about-our-product

Last edited:
Reactions: Knight Shift
Strobes don't work for everyone, but many people, including my neighbors, have used them with good results.

The strobe units that my neighbors use are under 50 bucks, and are about the size of a deck of playing cards.... The device comes in a wired version that you connect to the car battery, or a battery operated version that uses 2 AA batteries that last at least several months... Both contain magnets for easy connection to the underside of the car's hood or other metal surface.

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/81D1pLe0mpL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
Here is a link to the product and some reviews that mention squirrels:

Amazon links don't work here:

Thanks I got something similar to that product already for our other car. Using multiple tactics here!

To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case my enemy is a varmint. And a varmint will never quit -- ever. They're like the Viet Cong -- Varmint Cong. So you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower.

Several years back, my wife called me at work and said her car wouldn’t start. When I got home, I popped the hood, and there was a doomed squirrel that got sucked into the main belt when she tried to start it.

ADVERTISEMENT