ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Squirrels

I prob spelled it wrong, who gives AF

But, there are so many more of them this September , alive and roadkill everywhere

Mild winter last year and so many less vehicles on the roads last Spring has equalled an overflow of the critters.
Maybe you don’t appreciate nature’s beauty enough or you’re seeing double, not sure. All kidding aside, is this mating season for them or something? I have seen a bunch tearing ass chasing each other up trees and into the street nearly getting killed.

Reactions: miket007 and Jm0513
One sucker literally scared the bejeezus out of me a couple of weeks ago. Was working from home at our dining room table due to COVID, when all of a sudden I heard a bang at our dining room window. I looked up to see a squirrel staring back at me having just leapt from a tree in our backyard clinging onto our window screen. 😳

• Haha
Reactions: Jm0513
We just had this conversation the other night and everyone laughed at me.. There are sooooo many squirrels. I saw one carrying a whole slice of pizza last month.
They're preparing. They know something is coming..and I don't mean winter.
I saw a couple darker ones as well. Looked creepy.

• Haha
Reactions: Blitz8RUCrazy
Maybe you don’t appreciate nature’s beauty enough or you’re seeing double, not sure. All kidding aside, is this mating season for them or something? I have seen a bunch tearing ass chasing each other up trees and into the street nearly getting killed.

Nah, I'm in Sussex, love nature compared to NE NJ.

I sadly counted over 20 roadkills today, poor suckers

We had more squirrels than usual back in spring, but now it's all bunnies. They're all over at night. Always thought bunnies were smart and agile, but no longer.

I'm going to war here on the farm with squirrels. My barn cats are slacking. They decimated my peach harvest this year and I didn't have a great crop to begin with, with the late frost.

Got traps, have gun permit in process probably a .22 with scope and 24" flashing about 5' up around every tree close to orchard. Just got done cutting all low branches so no way up and down trees.

If that doesn't work I'm looking into Black footed cats, might have to smuggle in, but they have an astounding 60% successful hunting rate.

black-footed-cat.jpg

Last edited:
I thought it was all snakes and scorpions in Ogden

Plenty of rattlers in spring and summer - every time one of those squirrels would scurry through brush thought it was another. But there' s no mistaking that shake.

Never saw a scorpion. It is tarantula season, tho. Mixed with big-ass wolf spiders.

Plenty of rattlers in spring and summer - every time one of those squirrels would scurry through brush thought it was another. But there' s no mistaking that shake.

Never saw a scorpion. It is DEVIL season, tho. Mixed with big-ass wolf DEVIL'S
FIFY- I can't even look at the words. They have a season?
Omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg..I would ****ing die. @RutHut
My daughter was mad at me and to be funny she had one of the hideous beasts as her background on her phone. She's now grounded for 5 days.

FIFY- I can't even look at the words. They have a season?
Omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg..I would ****ing die. @RutHut
My daughter was mad at me and to be funny she had one of the hideous beasts as her background on her phone. She's now grounded for 5 days.

Ha. Yeah you tend to only see them in the fall when they come out of their underground habitat to mate. Have had them down at my house before, but usually just see them on the mountain. Have been up there at night a lot the past few weeks and see a few scurrying across the trail every time. Creepy at first, but they're not dangerous.

Bunnies are cute tho. 🐰

I don't know mating season for little critters, and I don't live out in the woods, but you want to talk about tearing ass and chasing each other it was deer mating this past spring. The suckers are BIG and REALLY fast.

Reactions: RUPete
Don't mind squirrels but can't stand chipmunks. The little holes they dog in the mulch annoys me.

Tried to go the trap route but ended up catching squirrels. Looked into an air gun or pellet gun to pick them off outside my office window but learned that's apparently a firearm and illegal in our silly state. Bastards

Ha. Yeah you tend to only see them in the fall when they come out of their underground habitat to mate. Have had them down at my house before, but usually just see them on the mountain. Have been up there at night a lot the past few weeks and see a few scurrying across the trail every time. Creepy at first, but they're not dangerous.

Bunnies are cute tho. 🐰
giphy.gif

Bunnies are cute tho. 🐰
Yes, bunnies are darling. I love all creatures big and small EXCEPT....
My heart is beating very fast as I write this, but umm.. how does one remove one of those creatures if they're found inside a home? With this?
I would never return. Like ever. Never ever.

Reactions: ashokan
Squirrels and chipmunks are everywhere in my neighborhood. I don’t ever recall seeing so many around

same here...especially chipmunks. Been in my house 27 years and have never seen so many.

Don't mind squirrels but can't stand chipmunks. The little holes they dog in the mulch annoys me.

Tried to go the trap route but ended up catching squirrels. Looked into an air gun or pellet gun to pick them off outside my office window but learned that's apparently a firearm and illegal in our silly state. Bastards

Year round open season in Arkansas versus squirrels using a pellet gun. I have eliminated the little bastards in my yard!

Reactions: beaced and RUaMoose
Had to laugh at the OP. We defiantly have more squirrels this year. A bunch of fukin juvenile delinquents this year, digging up everything I plant. My vegan, hippie, save the whales neighbor asked if she could borrow a pellet gun since they wreak havoc in her organic fair trade non-gmo woke veggie garden. 😂

I almost hit one on a bike ride with my wife yesterday. They’re everywhere and they don’t give AF about anything but their nuts 😉

We got a lot more of everything (including foxes) after the mild winter - but especially bears. Bears and cubs were all over the Hudson Valley. In my photo group, there were bear pics every day. Bears on decks, in pools, in trees, in cars - everywhere.

CpfpsqT.jpg

Reactions: RUDiddy777 and fsg2
We have crazy chipmunks here in Franklin Lakes this year. We can be taking a walk on the street and they have just plain run into our feet at times.

Reactions: Greg2020
We got a lot more of everything (including foxes) after the mild winter - but especially bears. Bears and cubs were all over the Hudson Valley. In my photo group, there were bear pics every day. Bears on decks, in pools, in trees, in cars - everywhere.

CpfpsqT.jpg

That shot is radness.

Reactions: ashokan
I saw a flying squirrel for the first time last week at work in Jersey City. I didn't know we had those around here.

Believe it or not flying squirrels are pretty common but obviously tough to see because they're nocturnal. It's easy to see bats because you see them in streetlights. I've only seen them a couple of times but I've heard them a bunch of times

I don't know mating season for little critters, and I don't live out in the woods, but you want to talk about tearing ass and chasing each other it was deer mating this past spring. The suckers are BIG and REALLY fast.

For the common Ground Squirrels mating season is late winter.

Reactions: DanRU04
This thread is rather Hitchcockian. Good Evening. Also a great story for a made for tv movie circa 1970s.

Reactions: beaced
ADVERTISEMENT