ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Squirrels

A lot of Harriman hikers store their food in the trees thinking bears cant get at it. The bears correct them.

A friend of mine tells the story about bow hunting in Pa. He's in a tree stand about 15 feet off the ground. He hears something coming crashing thru the brush. It turns out to be a black bear which he assumes was spooked by friends a distance away. The bear stops under the tree and sits right below him. The bear never noticed him. He sat motionless for what felt like an eternity till the bear wandered off.

Reactions: JRZEER
I was in a deer tree stand at friend's farm in Merryland. Sat all day from prior to sunup and being sprayed with Fox urine in the damn thing.

Only game I saw were a couple of those rats with bush tails running around below the tree.
Luckily I had brought a pillow, pepsis, snickers bars and a headlamp to read my paperback book.

Reactions: JRZEER
Year round open season in Arkansas versus squirrels using a pellet gun. I have eliminated the little bastards in my yard!
A friend of mine with roommates used to rent a house in Wayne. He'd sit at a 2nd floor window and shoot squirrels with his pellet gun.... then he butchered them and made squirrel stew. He said it tasted great but each one only gave a little meat from each rear thigh. I never tried it.

Turns out that Chickens are like garbage disposals, Mary Anne puts out all the old watermelon rinds and other over ripe veggies.

"Al, Just don't feed me to Wu's pigs !" Deadwood.
Chickens are basically decedents of Raptors. People always make the mistake that they're not carnivorous. We put ham, turkey and chicken carcasses in the chicken run and they pick it clean in an hour. We had a snake looking for eggs one day, big mistake, chickens pummeled it to death and ate it. Nothing goes to waste in this house.

Been finding fur and black “stuff” in the yard. The fox must be fat by now. The stench and flys from the black “stuff“ is god awfu.

A friend of mine with roommates used to rent a house in Wayne. He'd sit at a 2nd floor window and shoot squirrels with his pellet gun.... then he butchered them and made squirrel stew. He said it tasted great but each one only gave a little meat from each rear thigh. I never tried it.

Protein is protein.

A friend of mine tells the story about bow hunting in Pa. He's in a tree stand about 15 feet off the ground. He hears something coming crashing thru the brush. It turns out to be a black bear which he assumes was spooked by friends a distance away. The bear stops under the tree and sits right below him. The bear never noticed him. He sat motionless for what felt like an eternity till the bear wandered off.
Not for nothing, but if one is up in a tree stand waiting for an animal to wander by, are you really hunting....or just ambushing ?

Reactions: Proud NJ Sports Fan
My short haired pointer is eradicating the neighborhood of squirrels one at a time, the bears on the other hand are bountiful between mild winter and the idiot neighborhors feeding them off thier porch. They have BUSTED my bow hunting grounds!!! No deer just bears 600 lber. 400lber. 300-350 female 2 cubs a small 200-250 female 2 cubs and a young 200 lb male. Plus no state land hunt, they will be in yer backyard soon.
I hope when one of them bears gets hungry in December they break in thier house and ransack it.

Not for nothing, but if one is up in a tree stand waiting for an animal to wander by, are you really hunting....or just ambushing ?

Don't you jump down on the backs of bears and deer and wrestle them to the ground.

That sounds fair to me...

Bears losing all fear of humans in the parks...

H4QzwrR.jpg

Indeed, there are a lot of squirrels this year. I do not know why their population has increased so much, but it is a fact. Last summer, I saw about 5 different types of squirrels near my house. I've never seen so much before. They started to annoy me because they started sneaking onto my land and eating my corn. I also noticed that they just spoil the apples on my apple trees. In fact, it's very sad because I put a lot of effort into growing it all. I'm even thinking about going hunting this year. Let the animal rights activists forgive me, but it's just necessary.

Last edited:
An Ecology professor I had at Rutgers told me that many of the populations were brought in from Ontario Canada and deliberately released in parks in Princeton, Washington DC, Battle Creek, East Lansing, and Kent State among other locations. Mutations have led to them being found elsewhere as previously mentioned in this thread. When I was at RU many years ago I never saw them anywhere else in New Jersey except Princeton and Cranbury.

I prob spelled it wrong, who gives AF

But, there are so many more of them this September , alive and roadkill everywhere

Mild winter last year and so many less vehicles on the roads last Spring has equalled an overflow of the critters.
You nailed it in the 3rd sentence, as the car is the only natural predator left for varmints of all kinds...

ADVERTISEMENT