ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Stock and Investment Talk

As I’ve said before, my biggest regret last March was that I bought a lot but planned to buy so much more. But the market snapped back so quick that I was caught off-balance and was left with a bunch of cash I wanted to deploy.
The market has evolved a lot since that early bounce. First it was mega tech, then it went small cap, next run looks to be value.

I know people want to be "investors" but for this past year at least being a trader looks to be the prudent move.

Just my opinion but CW should have sold some TSLA when it was around $800, then waited till it got to $600 to stick her flag in the ground. And then buy more if it went lower.

Of course my opinion is not exactly what I did in my portfolio, and I imagine if I really looked at her moves it shows a fair amount of hedging.

She runs ETFs. Of course she is a long investor. D'uh.
Gave Plotkin had conviction that GME was circling the drain. Do you own any other funds that have a concentrated position like ARKK with Tesla? I’m just stating the obvious.

Ummm...what chart are you looking at?! ARKK went from about $20 in 2016 and by 2019 barely broke $50. Then it was around $30 when it started its epic climb like every other spec tech play. 2020 put ARKK on the map.
Good grief you amateur. Price charts don't include payouts and dividends. You need to look at Morningstar's $10k growth chart.

2017 - +87.3%
2018 - +3.5% (this was a down year for the market - beat the S&P and category by 10%)
2019 - +35.6%
2020 - +152.8%

ARKK has crushed the market for 4 years. Any questions?

Just my opinion but CW should have sold some TSLA when it was around $800, then waited till it got to $600 to stick her flag in the ground. And then buy more if it went lower.

Of course my opinion is not exactly what I did in my portfolio, and I imagine if I really looked at her moves it shows a fair amount of hedging.
She held at $800 and bought more at $600. This is what you do when you think the price will go up more over the long run.

Fast Money stock picks.

PLTR. They had a guy on whose company was monitoring WSB chatter and PLTR popped up. Also popped up on unusual options. Guy Adami also noted it was trading near a 23.50 support level.

I did buy some, which is risky given how many of my recent high flyers have bombed of late.

GE. The ultimate value trade. In so many fields including renewables, which isn't a hot sector at the moment but maybe a value pick works. Also has aero exposure. Lots of talk on GE lately.

Been hearing IBM's name come up a lot as well. In a lot of the hot fields. Block Chain, AI, etc. New CEO.

I've owned GE. Bought in IBM and PLTR today.

The market has evolved a lot since that early bounce. First it was mega tech, then it went small cap, next run looks to be value.

I know people want to be "investors" but for this past year at least being a trader looks to be the prudent move.
Small cap value. Increased my allocations for VIOV, IVOV, and PRSVX. If you want to have some fun, checkout RWJ. It is a small cap value ETF with an interesting management strategy (little more risky).

Reactions: RU-05

It’s a good point - at least if she took some profits around $800 she could have conditioned the market for future sales if and when necessary. But she just keeps buying.

I would argue Musk made the same critical mistake with BTC. It will be extremely difficult to sell now that he linked BTC with Tesla and has become such a BTC advocate. The second TSLA sells BTC there will be a major crypto correction.

She held at $800 and bought more at $600. This is what you do when you think the price will go up more over the long run.
Pretty sure she bought round $700. Which is fine I guess if the plan is to buy X% along the way down.

and I'm not really criticizing CW as she as killed it, just throwing in my 2cents.

Pretty sure she bought round $700. Which is fine I guess if the plan is to buy X% along the way down.

and I'm not really criticizing CW as she as killed it, just throwing in my 2cents.
Yes, she bought all the way down. ARK bought quite a bit today (though not much Tesla). See above.

It’s a good point - at least if she took some profits around $800 she could have conditioned the market for future sales if and when necessary. But she just keeps buying.

I would argue Musk made the same critical mistake with BTC.
It will be extremely difficult to sell now that he linked BTC with Tesla and has become such a BTC advocate. The second TSLA sells BTC there will be a major crypto correction.
Little different in that TSLA was thought to be at very high valuations already.

As I semi joked recently the beauty of BTC is that it can never really be thought to be overvalued.

But when you listen to CW talk, she doesn't value TSLA(or some of these other companies) the way others do. But imo, you should work other opinions to your favor if you believe they are missing what you believe to be concrete. So as a manager why not trade %'s around certain valuations?

Fast Money stock picks.

PLTR. They had a guy on whose company was monitoring WSB chatter and PLTR popped up. Also popped up on unusual options. Guy Adami also noted it was trading near a 23.50 support level.

I did buy some, which is risky given how many of my recent high flyers have bombed of late.

GE. The ultimate value trade. In so many fields including renewables, which isn't a hot sector at the moment but maybe a value pick works. Also has aero exposure. Lots of talk on GE lately.

Been hearing IBM's name come up a lot as well. In a lot of the hot fields. Block Chain, AI, etc. New CEO.

Do you have any buy and hold stocks?

Small cap value. Increased my allocations for VIOV, IVOV, and PRSVX. If you want to have some fun, checkout RWJ. It is a small cap value ETF with an interesting management strategy (little more risky).
Did you check the holdings? #1 is pretty funny.

Do you have any buy and hold stocks?
I have positions in 60 something companies. And many of those I haven't messed with in a while. VIAC, CRLBF, GM, F, GE, DIS, DKNG, GBTC. Just a few. AAPL is another but that is on thin ice. GOOGL too, but that one has much a longer leash as it has performed much better of late, and it is looked at as a reopening play, so probably no change there.

But if any of the above get too hot I will sell, or if they perform overly poorly for a stretch I might sell off that as well. Sold WMT today as an example. Is it at a buy low point? Maybe but it doesn't look that cheap and it's growth doesn't look that great. So to the curb.

I have positions in 60 something companies. And many of those I haven't messed with in a while. VIAC, CRLBF, GM, F, GE, DIS, DKNG, GBTC. Just a few. AAPL is another but that is on thin ice. GOOGL too, but that one has much a longer leash as it has performed much better of late, and it is looked at as a reopening play, so probably no change there.

But if any of the above get too hot I will sell, or if they perform overly poorly for a stretch I might sell off that as well. Sold WMT today as an example. Is it at a buy low point? Maybe but it doesn't look that cheap and it's growth doesn't look that great. So to the curb.
You should use two portfolios in E-Trade. One for longs and one for trading. And actually a third for cryptos! I like organization! :)

I’m sure she is a true believer. What we are saying is that she is too long. Think GME shorts in reverse. If she starts selling, people will front run it. If the biggest bull is selling, lookout below.

One of the reasons TSLA has gone up is that insiders never sell the stock. There are other reasons for the meteoric rise as well. So IF and only IF they start selling then TSLA is in trouble. From what I am hearing, that is unlikely.

Reactions: T2Kplus20

Two-thirds of ARK’s current holdings didn’t make a profit in the past year; live by the sword, die by sword. Let’s see how she navigates going forward.

Two-thirds of ARK’s current holdings didn’t make a profit in the past year; live by the sword, die by sword. Let’s see how she navigates going forward.
+1
Adapt and thrive. Needs to happen all of the time.

I wonder if you called E-Trade tech help someone can reorg it for you.
The problem is me. I have companies I want to hold but then I want to sell them.

Of I have money in one account but would rather have it in the other account.

I could organize what I have(via some buy and sells), but Id surely jumble it all up gain in short order.

The account thing just hasn't worked, in that way, for me.

Last edited:
The question is not whether or not they made a profit in the past year.

The question is how much of a profit will they make going fwd.

The supposed brilliance of CW is that she is finding these companies long before they reach that point, thus she is enjoying the ride upwards. TSLA at this point does look to be the shining example of her ability to find a truly disruptive company, and she has enjoyed that ride upwards, but I'm not sure how many of her other holdings will hold up to the scrutiny over time.

Fast Money stock picks.

Someone recommended IBM on CNBC. Talk about your pump and dump. That is probably just as bad if not worse than your UVXY guy. If you think, GME is a dying company, then IBM is a dying company with more money. Did you look at the last earnings report before investing in IBM? In a year where companies are looking to go big into cloud, IBM had one of the slowest growth in the cloud space. You can be in block chain, AI, cloud, etc but you still have to know what you are doing in those fields. I would wait for them to show some actual progress before investing there.

This video gives me confidence that the rotation from tech/innovation to crap stocks (as per Cramer) is going to be very temporary. Don't sleep on the Daq bounce back. Not sure when it will happen, but when it does, it will be very rapid.

Annual bonuses hit on Friday. It's buying season! :)

Some analyst moves this morning:

Susquehanna initiated Bumble with a positive rating.
Piper Sandler upgraded Qualcomm to overweight from neutral.
Morgan Stanley raised its price target on General Electric to $17 from $13.
Deutsche Bank upgraded Snowflake to buy from hold.
Cowen downgraded Planet Fitness to market perform from outperform.
Truist upgraded Anthem to buy from hold.
JPMorgan reinstated coverage of Charles Schwab as overweight.
Bank of America reiterated Exxon as a top pick.
Bank of America upgraded J.B. Hunt to buy from neutral.

Someone recommended IBM on CNBC. Talk about your pump and dump. That is probably just as bad if not worse than your UVXY guy. If you think, GME is a dying company, then IBM is a dying company with more money. Did you look at the last earnings report before investing in IBM? In a year where companies are looking to go big into cloud, IBM had one of the slowest growth in the cloud space. You can be in block chain, AI, cloud, etc but you still have to know what you are doing in those fields. I would wait for them to show some actual progress before investing there.

This board and their "pump and dumps". Comparing IBM to GME? C'mon.

It's buying low on the potential turnaround of a company that still makes a ton of money.

People would have hated on GE in a similar way not too long ago.

This video gives me confidence that the rotation from tech/innovation to crap stocks (as per Cramer) is going to be very temporary. Don't sleep on the Daq bounce back. Not sure when it will happen, but when it does, it will be very rapid.

Annual bonuses hit on Friday. It's buying season! :)

The rotation back to the techs stocks will be around the beginning of April when earnings will be coming out like the last two years. I dived in and purchased Appl, FB, AMZN and ADBE when they were down 14-15% from the high and they are now down 16-17%. I expect they can continue to go down to 20% from their highs. FB PE is only 25. AMZN is now 3,000 with the high of 3,550. I’m presently at 29% equities and will be purchasing more when I see the techs start turning upward. I’ve been doing this for the last two years each quarter and consider this safe trading. I don’t expect these stocks to recover 100% to their previous highs due to the change in the interest rate unless I wait a years but the minimum they will go back to 10% from their highs in a quarter.

Last edited:
The rotation back to the techs stocks will be around the beginning of April when earnings will be coming out like the last two years. I dived in and purchased Appl, FB, AMZN and ADBE when they were down 14-15% from the high and they are now down 16-17%. I expect they can reach 20% from their highs. FB PE is only 25. AMZN is now 3,000 with the high of 3,550. I’m presently at 29% equities and will be purchasing more when I see the techs start turning upward. I’ve been doing this for the last two years each quarter and consider this safe trading.
+1
Great companies at a solid discount. Can't go wrong!

This board and their "pump and dumps". Comparing IBM to GME? C'mon.

It's buying low on the potential turnaround of a company that still makes a ton of money.

People would have hated on GE in a similar way not too long ago.
Morgan Stanley raises its price target for GE to $17. Pump and Dump! LOL.

Good grief you amateur. Price charts don't include payouts and dividends. You need to look at Morningstar's $10k growth chart.

2017 - +87.3%
2018 - +3.5% (this was a down year for the market - beat the S&P and category by 10%)
2019 - +35.6%
2020 - +152.8%

ARKK has crushed the market for 4 years. Any questions?
No - I wasn’t talking total returns. Strictly price charts.
The rotation back to the techs stocks will be around the beginning of April when earnings will be coming out like the last two years. I dived in and purchased Appl, FB, AMZN and ADBE when they were down 14-15% from the high and they are now down 16-17%. I expect they can reach 20% from their highs. FB PE is only 25. AMZN is now 3,000 with the high of 3,550. I’m presently at 29% equities and will be purchasing more when I see the techs start turning upward. I’ve been doing this for the last two years each quarter and consider this safe trading.
Core tech names like Alphabet, FB, Amazon, etc. will continue to be the long term winners and are fairly safe bets unless regulators get cute. Alphabet in particular should benefit greatly from reopening as online search related to travel and leisure will boom. If people are getting stimulus money, they’ll be using Google to find the online places to spend it.

Core tech names like Alphabet, FB, Amazon, etc. will continue to be the long term winners and are fairly safe bets unless regulators get cute. Alphabet in particular should benefit greatly from reopening as online search related to travel and leisure will boom. If people are getting stimulus money, they’ll be using Google to find the online places to spend it.
GOOG and MSFT haven’t really dropped too much so I haven’t purchase them yet. If I see them drop below their 10% from their highs, I will purchase them.

Reactions: jtung230
The rotation back to the techs stocks will be around the beginning of April when earnings will be coming out like the last two years. I dived in and purchased Appl, FB, AMZN and ADBE when they were down 14-15% from the high and they are now down 16-17%. I expect they can continue to go down to 20% from their highs. FB PE is only 25. AMZN is now 3,000 with the high of 3,550. I’m presently at 29% equities and will be purchasing more when I see the techs start turning upward. I’ve been doing this for the last two years each quarter and consider this safe trading. I don’t expect these stocks to recover 100% to their previous highs due to the change in the interest rate unless I wait a years but the minimum they will go back to 10% from their highs in a quarter.
Just looking at the chart for FB, I don't think it backs up your trading strategy. It was trading higher going into earnings in April last year, and it traded higher on the back side of earnings. Traded pretty flat heading into earnings in July, then traded higher on the backside. Was trading up prior to earnings in October, sold off in the days ahead of it the bounced back on the backside. Fairly similar in Jan, traded higher pulled back just prior, bounced back a little on the backside, but then rolled over.

It has been in a bit of channel since early sept highs, so you could probably set some buy and sell levels that will work, but I'm not seeing this pattern around earnings that you are talking about.

Def looking fairly affordable with that p/e and solid growth expected.

If you use strictly price charts you will not get accurate information for mutual funds because it does not take into account capital gain distributions, 90% of which are rolled over into the mutual fund. So you own more shares but at a lower price and have the same account balance. My capital gain distribution from New Horizons this year equalled close to 10% of the account balance. It's not like normal dividends.

The question is not whether or not they made a profit in the past year.

The question is how much of a profit will they make going fwd.

The supposed brilliance of CW is that she is finding these companies long before they reach that point, thus she is enjoying the ride upwards. TSLA at this point does look to be the shining example of her ability to find a truly disruptive company, and she has enjoyed that ride upwards, but I'm not sure how many of her other holdings will hold up to the scrutiny over time.

well put, but was essentially my point. When you invest on speculation (investing before a company is mature), you can do very well or very poor on some companies..... hence:my live by the sword or die by the sword comment.

Just looking at the chart for FB, I don't think it backs up your trading strategy. It was trading higher going into earnings in April last year, and it traded higher on the back side of earnings. Traded pretty flat heading into earnings in July, then traded higher on the backside. Was trading up prior to earnings in October, sold off in the days ahead of it the bounced back on the backside. Fairly similar in Jan, traded higher pulled back just prior, bounced back a little on the backside, but then rolled over.

It has been in a bit of channel since early sept highs, so you could probably set some buy and sell levels that will work, but I'm not seeing this pattern around earnings that you are talking about.

Def looking fairly affordable with that p/e and solid growth expected.
The forward PE for FB is supposedly 24 which I don’t believe probably 23. They have been exceeding earning expectations almost every earning and they are probably controlling their earnings. In 1-2 years PE will be 20 which is definitely low. FB is presently viewed negatively due to the political landscape but overall won’t affect it in the long run.

ARK dropping again; keep a close eye on redemptions. This tug of war is fun to watch. Are these stocks still over priced or now a bargain? We know where T2K’s is, or at least was.

Last edited:
ARK dropping again; keep a close eye on redemptions. This tug of war is fun to watch. Are these stocks still over priced or now a bargain? We know where T2K’s is, or at least was.
ARK is a tech/Nasdaq multiplier. The Daq goes up 1% and ARK goes up 3%. The Daq goes down 2% and ARK goes down 6%. Interesting ride, but staying focused on the long term is what wins the day.

ADVERTISEMENT