ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Stock and Investment Talk

Your timeline is what I have in mind as well (for BTC and ETH). My daughter graduates HS in 2030, so this will be our party money! LOL.

Lol. I know you're trying to own the coins through traditional means, but youre essentially owning IOU's. Im a big believer in self custody

Reactions: T2Kplus20
Your timeline is what I have in mind as well (for BTC and ETH). My daughter graduates HS in 2030, so this will be our party money! LOL.

I have one who will be class of 2029. But keeping her NY State 529 in market index funds. Good luck!

Lol. I know you're trying to own the coins through traditional means, but youre essentially owning IOU's. Im a big believer in self custody
Yeah, just using Grayscale. I'm not that up to speed on self custody. I'm looking at these as LT investments, so going traditional is so easy!

Reactions: bob-loblaw
I have one who will be class of 2029. But keeping her NY State 529 in market index funds. Good luck!
+1
We are also using NY 529 for our daughter (college and private school expenses). We were in 75% growth portfolio for the past 2 years, but reallocated in December. Using a more diverse equity mix now, but still only 20% bonds.

The party money I mentioned above is for me and the wife. 😁

Being reading more about blockchain technology. Is there a leading company? Or is this market/tech scattered among many?
Just in terms of established stock names. RIOT and MARA I think are the leaders. BTBT and FTFT are relatively new players and both, but especially BTBT, went on rocket runs very recently. BTCS, is an OTC play that was .30 when I found it, it was jumping 80% a day (or there abouts) a couple days last week. Got up to $3.00, now at $1.30. In a high beta group, BTCS is the high beta play.

There are money flow considerations within the group where one stock is super hot one day and then that one cools while another gets of fire, but they predominantly trade up and down together following the price movements of BTC, and they are all down since BTC began pulling back.

IBM is an interesting play not just for Blockchain tech(not sure if they actually mine for crypto) but also AI.

They are a declining revenue story as well, and that's while they have those cheap multiples, but I wonder if, like F and GM with EV, if/when they turnaround the revenue trend, the stock price really take off because they have their hands in these market coveted sectors. They are up about 20% in the past couple months, but still about 20% down off their precovid levels.

Some lady was on CNBC, I think she was a fund manager or something in the cannabis sector.

She said her current estimates for future revs/earning, don't even include a state like NJ yet, which has already voted legal, but is not actually up and running. Never mind states like NY that look like they are ready to come on board, or those states which are dragging their feet now but in time will likely go legal as well. Estimates are already for super strong growth, add in these other states?

Have some holdings already, it's been hot since the covid dip, but I think I'm going to increase my exposure.

Just in terms of established stock names. RIOT and MARA I think are the leaders. BTBT and FTFT are relatively new players and both, but especially BTBT, went on rocket runs very recently. BTCS, is an OTC play that was .30 when I found it, it was jumping 80% a day (or there abouts) a couple days last week. Got up to $3.00, now at $1.30. In a high beta group, BTCS is the high beta play.

There are money flow considerations within the group where one stock is super hot one day and then that one cools while another gets of fire, but they predominantly trade up and down together following the price movements of BTC, and they are all down since BTC began pulling back.
Blockchain ETF! :)

IBM is an interesting play not just for Blockchain tech(not sure if they actually mine for crypto) but also AI.

They are a declining revenue story as well, and that's while they have those cheap multiples, but I wonder if, like F and GM with EV, if/when they turnaround the revenue trend, the stock price really take off because they have their hands in these market coveted sectors. They are up about 20% in the past couple months, but still about 20% down off their precovid levels.

Was looking at IBM this morning. 5% div to boot.

Some lady was on CNBC, I think she was a fund manager or something in the cannabis sector.

She said her current estimates for future revs/earning, don't even include a state like NJ yet, which has already voted legal, but is not actually up and running. Never mind states like NY that look like they are ready to come on board, or those states which are dragging their feet now but in time will likely go legal as well. Estimates are already for super strong growth, add in these other states?

Have some holdings already, it's been hot since the covid dip, but I think I'm going to increase my exposure.

My spec here is CURLF.

Reactions: SBP
IBM earning is after the bell. The stock will either go up or down a couple of points. Planning a spin off of the old business which might be a good thing.
At which point a current IBM stock holder would then own both stocks right?

Figure the growth side of the equation would then jump, while the other half, the reverse.

My spec here is CURLF.
Ya, they seem very solid actually. 3x rev's 2019 to 2020. 2x expected next year. Continued solid growth beyond and as I mentioned I don't think that even factors in those states which are not yet up and running, but will be very soon.

I own CRLBF and IIPR(a REIT), and my speculation is SNDL, bought it at .30 cents, currently high .60's. Thinking it will eventually jump above a dollar as so many NASDAQ companies do when they need to meet compliance.

At which point a current IBM stock holder would then own both stocks right?

Figure the growth side of the equation would then jump, while the other half, the reverse.
You would own both stocks. Actually might be a good play because the new IBM will be valued at a higher PE while the old IBM with the dividend will be a little lower PE. The new IBM should zoom.

My father had EBAY and that split into EBAY AND PYPL. PYPL was about $35 when it split and now 240 in about 6 years. EBay didn’t do much of anything.

I just brought some IBM. Will buy more after earnings

Last edited:
Blockchain ETF! :)

No sign of RIOT is kind of interesting.

HIVE and HUT8 look like good pure play block chain options.

Think those big names are more fintech with a side of blockchain.

Last edited:
You would own both stocks. Actually might be a good play because the new IBM will be valued at a higher PE while the old IBM with the dividend will be a little lower PE. The new IBM should zoom.

My father had EBAY and that split into EBAY AND PYPL. PYPL was about 40 when it split and now 240 in about 6 years. EBay didn’t do much of anything.

I just brought some IBM.
They were using that EBAY-PYPL example last night as to why GM should NOT spin off it's autonomous driving business.

Might not be good for the IBM half of the business but the spinoff like you say, will likely takeoff.

Do we know when that happens?

They were using that EBAY-PYPL example last night as to why GM should NOT spin off it's autonomous driving business.

Might not be good for the IBM half of the business but the spinoff like you say, will likely takeoff.

Do we know when that happens?
I just read some article when I was googling IBM. I sold my father PYPL at about $185 thinking it was high already and started trading it at that point.

Only way to get into a IPO before it goes public. I don’t know how to buy stocks before the IPO especially when I do my own trading. I guess if you’re a huge account the brokerage might let you buy a few shares. Anyone out there given the opportunity to buy stock before the company goes public?

Last edited:
No sign of RIOT is kind of interesting.

HIVE and HUT8 look like good pure play block chain options.

Think those big names are more fintech with a side of blockchain.
RIOT is in the portfolio.....2.25%. First bought 8/7/20. This ETF covers blockchain creators and users (trying to capture the entire value chain).

Reactions: RU-05
Ya, they seem very solid actually. 3x rev's 2019 to 2020. 2x expected next year. Continued solid growth beyond and as I mentioned I don't think that even factors in those states which are not yet up and running, but will be very soon.

I own CRLBF and IIPR(a REIT), and my speculation is SNDL, bought it at .30 cents, currently high .60's. Thinking it will eventually jump above a dollar as so many NASDAQ companies do when they need to meet compliance.
Have you looked at the ETF MSOS? It's a new one that just started in the fall. It's invested only in US-based companies as opposed to other cannabis ETFs like MJ that are mostly Canadian. Since it is still gradually being legalized in the US, I think MSOS has more potential than others, and it's been off to a great start so far.

Reactions: RUTGERS95
Have you looked at the ETF MSOS? It's a new one that just started in the fall. It's invested only in US-based companies as opposed to other cannabis ETFs like MJ that are mostly Canadian. Since it is still gradually being legalized in the US, I think MSOS has more potential than others, and it's been off to a great start so far.
interesting, have been looking at the pot play but unsure of how to really jump in as it's not my typical venue

hope you guys are buying xom today

I just read some article when I was googling IBM. I sold my father PYPL at about $185 thinking it was high already and started trading it at that point.

Only way to get into a IPO before it goes public. I don’t know how to buy stocks before the IPO especially when I do my own trading. I guess if you’re a huge account the brokerage might let you buy a few shares. Anyone out there given the opportunity to buy stock before the company goes public?
Funny you mention that EBAY PYPL relationship as I've held it since then and it is my biggest gainer life time. Been buying more over the years and most recently due to the crypto relationship plus mobile payments etc. That was a fun trade all the big boys were in on.

interesting, have been looking at the pot play but unsure of how to really jump in as it's not my typical venue

Have to be careful in that space as companies come and go plus there was some fraud in the past, forget the name. The one I mentioned CURLF is well positioned and more on the mature side.

Reactions: RUTGERS95

Remind me, why are you so high on XOM? Morningstar pegs its FMV at 74.00.

I'm not an ETF'r, I prefer to pick individual stocks.

I do like the US stocks though. If it ever goes legal at the federal level, and the US companies can join the major exchanges, I think they jump at the expense of the Canadian companies.

Reactions: robcac26

I’ve had a couple opportunities to get in on IPOs before they traded but these were situations where I was involved with the company. Generally, retail investors don’t have access before the stock starts trading. Pre-IPO access is typically allotted to the underwriters and broker dealers involved in the offering, as well as institutional investors, along with some managers of the company, maybe employees , “ friends of the family,” and maybe some very high net worth investors. This is particularly true with “quality” or highly sought after offerings. As a general retail investor, you may have access to some of what I’d call lower quality offerings depending on your brokerage. You may also have access in a spin-off transaction.I would always read the S-1 registration statement if I were going to invest in an IPO (pre or post trading). In markets like this, you see a lot of lower quality IPOs and SPACs that may have a high element of risk.

Last edited:

I'm just going to throw this one at you, IIPR, it's a REIT which rents space to the growers.

Already profitable, with fantastic growth, if, in addition to the pure plays, you want to diversify your exposure, this may be a solid option.

Remind me, why are you so high on XOM? Morningstar pegs its FMV at 74.00.
well that's a 54% return on todays' price!

well positioned for this administration with short-term price target of $60/share and $82 longer out with a great dividend yield. The more we exit the chinese virus, the better it is for energy and also, everytime those liberal dimwhits talk green, economic reality hits them in the face with just how prevalent oil is.

I'm just going to throw this one at you, IIPR, it's a REIT which rents space to the growers.

Already profitable, with fantastic growth, if, in addition to the pure plays, you want to diversify your exposure, this may be a solid option.
I'll take a look, thanks!

Think @T2Kplus20 mentioned BIIB recently as a value play with potential upside.

Up 10% ytd, perhaps it is starting it's move.
MS FMV for Biogen is 346. I started my career there as a full-time consultant for 2 years (while still living in NJ, so I did the EWR to BOS commute about 100 times). Exceptional company.....just avoid Biogen conferences during a pandemic outbreak! :)

INTL meanwhile jumping in extended, beat eps with 1.5 vs 1.1 expected.

third big jump in a few weeks. approaching it's all time highs.

a 35% discount to fair market value and a 7.23% cash return on your money isn't enough reason? Put a couple bucks in there, reinvest the dividend, and in 10 years the dividend will be 25% of your initial investment every year.
I agree. That div is sexy. I have concerns it is going to get chopped down though

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT