ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Stock and Investment Talk

I envision a dead cat being thrown out of a very tall building, it falls a far distance but upon hitting the ground, it bounces.

But end of the day, the cat needs to be buried.
It’s not about the cat 😀

Nah, haven't researched those two, but outside of chart watching, I can't say I've done much research at all on these miners. I'm letting you guys do the research and make the recommendations.

After watching the video you posted a few days back, I did set up a small position in Bitfrontier as more of a homerun play. In general they trade as a group, but while RIOT is up 123% in the last month, BFCH is up 700%. So not surprisingly more beta from the penny play(though RIOT has shown more beta recently).

I also own DMGGF, and HIVE in addition to RIOT and BFCH, so I don't think I really need to add to the group, just cross the fingers that BTC continue upwards to that 100K level.
+1
You should keep an eye on that guy's YT channel. He posts a lot of videos about miner news and updates. The one from yesterday was good. Lots of info about all of the public miners.

While I would love a short-term pop, like with BFCH, I have been looking for companies with staying power and growth potential (high capacity, low market cap relative to RIOT and MARA).

I’m not a penny stock fan but I know some
In this thread are (@RU-05 , @T2Kplus20 ). My son’s friend knows this company well, ASTI, which just signed a deal with NASA. Stock is at .07.

Reactions: RU-05 and T2Kplus20
@RU-05

ChargePoint is now trading under CHPT. This is the dominant player in this space with a big market share. Crazy part is that it’s smaller than BLNK in market cap but has 10x the market share. I personally don’t like the sector. Rather be in the battery space.

Also a great article in The Motley Fool comparing the 2 companies.

Reactions: RU-05 and T2Kplus20
A new ETF ($BUZZ) will be hitting the NYSE tomorrow backed by Dave Portnoy. Interesting concept, it will use AI to monitor "social media sentiment" of the top 75 stocks each month. I've learned not to bet against Portnoy (except when it comes to actual gambling on games), so this will be fun to watch.

EvesgSxXEAEo_EW
https://investwithbuzz.com/

A new ETF ($BUZZ) will be hitting the NYSE tomorrow backed by Dave Portnoy. Interesting concept, it will use AI to monitor "social media sentiment" of the top 75 stocks each month. I've learned not to bet against Portnoy (except when it comes to actual gambling on games), so this will be fun to watch.

EvesgSxXEAEo_EW
Just when I thought I was running out of short ideas.

Reactions: patk89

EvesgSxXEAEo_EW
This is a crazy idea. But crazy can be good or bad, so let's wait and see. :)

EvesgSxXEAEo_EW

Hedge funds have been using social media inputs in the their quant models for a long time. Obviously Melvin never got the memo. 😀

Reactions: RUBlackout
@RU-05

While doing research for you on these charging EV plays, I bought Apr 1st 35 puts on BLNK. I’m going to blame you if I lose money. Bought 5 contracts at $3.

@RU-05

ChargePoint is now trading under CHPT. This is the dominant player in this space with a big market share. Crazy part is that it’s smaller than BLNK in market cap but has 10x the market share. I personally don’t like the sector. Rather be in the battery space.

Also a great article in The Motley Fool comparing the 2 companies.
Falling today, extending a recent trend, same as the charging company soon to be known as VLTA. Same for BLNK as you know. Same for the ev still known as CCIV. Same for the battery company soon to be known as Microvast. Same for NIO. Same for TSLA.

So much of the sector is cooling off after getting too hot, but maybe some of these stocks, like CHPT are just caught in the vortex?

FSR one of the few in EV universe that is performing well of late. Very well.

Man should I pull some profits on RKT? 66% overall which is good but not typically where I would pull profits. But 57% just today. Which makes me think it could give some, or more, of that back in the upcoming days.

Edit: Looks like RKT is currently a WSB's fave.

Last edited:
Anyone remember the other day when I said I was going to dedicate most of my beta plays towards crypto? I should have listened to myself.

Bought a few stocks which are down 20-30% in about a week.

Falling today, extending a recent trend, same as the charging company soon to be known as VLTA. Same for BLNK as you know. Same for the ev still known as CCIV. Same for the battery company soon to be known as Microvast. Same for NIO. Same for TSLA.

So much of the sector is cooling off after getting too hot, but maybe some of these stocks, like CHPT are just caught in the vortex?

FSR one of the few in EV universe that is performing well of late. Very well.
And FSR did the same thing post merger announcement too. Definitely seems like a trend with most of these.

Anyone remember the other day when I said I was going to dedicate most of my beta plays towards crypto? I should have listened to myself.

Bought a few stocks which are down 20-30% in about a week.
You should look longer term for cryptos. Thru 2024 and the next halfing bull run.

FYI- HIVE webcast from this morning is posted. I asked about a direct US listing and it's in the works.

Broke another rule today. Hit my target return but didn’t take it. Total YOLO move. I guess I’m expecting it go to the moon.

Nah RKT is part of a short squeeze.
The Reddit guys are just straight up manipulating the market. I like how they pretend to want to stick it to the hedge funds but it’s all BS. They are all in it for a quick buck. Soon enough, investors will lose confidence in the stock market and the regulators will have to step in.

Broke another rule today. Hit my target return but didn’t take it. Total YOLO move. I guess I’m expecting it go to the moon.
You know it! 🚀 🚀 🚀 🚀 🚀

Even my crypto plays are long-term, so I don't due that target/trading stuff. However, I do target prices to buy at.

The Reddit guys are just straight up manipulating the market. I like how they pretend to want to stick it to the hedge funds but it’s all BS. They are all in it for a quick buck. Soon enough, investors will lose confidence in the stock market and the regulators will have to step in.

What would regulation look like? Ban online forums? Ban country club gatherings where hedge fund owners and us senior managing directors discuss stocks?

Reactions: T2Kplus20
What would regulation look like? Ban online forums? Ban country club gatherings where hedge fund owners and us senior managing directors discuss stocks?
LOL. You really are all-in. No one is saying you can’t share ideas but pump and dump is a different story.

How long would someone remain a member of that country club if they engaged in a pump and dump?

Talking stocks on the golf course with a few folks is one thing. However, inviting or recruiting thousands of people to a golf course for the sole purpose of convincing them to buy a particular stock and drive it higher in my view is market manipulation. That’s essentially what Roaring Kitty did with GameStop. If Roaring Kitty rented the Prudential Center and took the stage in front of 20K people telling them to all go buy GameStop so everyone can get rich (although he really likes the company LOL) would that be a problem?

Talking stocks on the golf course with a few folks is one thing. However, inviting or recruiting thousands of people to a golf course for the sole purpose of convincing them to buy a particular stock and drive it higher in my view is market manipulation. That’s essentially what Roaring Kitty did with GameStop. If Roaring Kitty rented the Prudential Center and took the stage in front of 20K people telling them to all go buy GameStop so everyone can get rich (although he really likes the company LOL) would that be a problem?

People do that on CNBC all the time. They invest or short a stock and then announce it on the network. This will almost always result in stock price movement as well. This Roaring Kitty fellow did not sell the stock when it skyrocketed and has supposedly bought more stock of GME, so hard to prove "pump and dump". He also did not coerce anyone into buying the stock. He did not know anyone on the forum. He did not really even have any credibility before making his presentation. He was a random, anonymous person making a case for a stock that he "believed" in. I don't know how that can be proved to be illegal. More regulation is not the solution. The solution is better educating the investor. The forums may have to attach a disclaimer of some sort to each of these stock tips which maybe all that can be done. Even that is a slippery slope.

People do that on CNBC all the time. They invest or short a stock and then announce it on the network. This will almost always result in stock price movement as well. This Roaring Kitty fellow did not sell the stock when it skyrocketed and has supposedly bought more stock of GME, so hard to prove "pump and dump". He also did not coerce anyone into buying the stock. He did not know anyone on the forum. He did not really even have any credibility before making his presentation. He was a random, anonymous person making a case for a stock that he "believed" in. I don't know how that can be proved to be illegal. More regulation is not the solution. The solution is better educating the investor. The forums may have to attach a disclaimer of some sort to each of these stock tips which maybe all that can be done. Even that is a slippery slope.
Just so we are on the same page - I don’t know if Roaring Kitty did anything illegal. However, when a financial professional that works for MassMutual goes on Reddit, YouTube, Twitter, etc. preaching the virtues of GameStop it’s for one reason and one reason only - to pump up the stock price. He can tell everyone he believes in the company, wants to screw Wall Street, etc., but he was motivated by one thing - to build a tidal wave around GameStop to get rich. And, as far as I know he’s sold a bunch of stock. Although he’s bought stock recently too mostly on the advice of his lawyer.

Off the topography my head:

More training and a time lag to be able to be an accredited investor and be able to invest in options.
T+1 or T+0
Modified margin requirements
Monitoring what someone says and seeing if trading patterns match
More capital requirements for the Robin Hood type firms
Clarification on “market manipulation” and “pump and dump”
SPACs are just an easy way to avoid the disclosure, cost and time required in the Traditional IPO process. The increased prevalence poor quality SPACs will blow up the market or part of the market at some point.
Possible revisions to short selling processes and parameters.
Possible disclosure requirements for short sales and market positions.
More

There is a lot at stake here. If investors lose confidence at the stock market or thinks that it is no longer “efficient”, it brings in lows that’s unimaginable.

Reactions: phs73rc77gsm83
Off the topography my head:

More training and a time lag to be able to be an accredited investor and be able to invest in options.
T+1 or T+0
Modified margin requirements
Monitoring what someone says and seeing if trading patterns match
More capital requirements for the Robin Hood type firms
Clarification on “market manipulation” and “pump and dump”
SPACs are just an easy way to avoid the disclosure, cost and time required in the Traditional IPO process. The increased prevalence poor quality SPACs will blow up the market or part of the market at some point.
Possible revisions to short selling processes and parameters.
Possible disclosure requirements for short sales and market positions.
More

Oh, no, no, no. Ban country clubs where "the man" plots his next move.

On a more serious note, modifying margin requirements would prevent a lot of pain.

Of course I'm sure Roaring Kitty let his options expire without selling or exercising them as his heart is pure and "sticking it to the man" is it's own reward.

Reactions: phs73rc77gsm83
Just so we are on the same page - I don’t know if Roaring Kitty did anything illegal. However, when a financial professional that works for MassMutual goes on Reddit, YouTube, Twitter, etc. preaching the virtues of GameStop it’s for one reason and one reason only - to pump up the stock price. He can tell everyone he believes in the company, wants to screw Wall Street, etc., but he was motivated by one thing - to build a tidal wave around GameStop to get rich. And, as far as I know he’s sold a bunch of stock. Although he’s bought stock recently too mostly on the advice of his lawyer.

As a registered rep of Mass Mutual he broke numerous security laws.

There needed to be some air released, but this might be more along the lines of the market being oversaturated with supply. There's a new green spac coming out every other day.
I jumped into some EV etfs, but avoided green energy options. Those are way too tied to the whims of DC (just like weed stocks).

Any idea what is going on with DMG today? Down 20% while the crypto market is up. Didn't find any news (except good news from yesterday about a new partnership! LOL. ).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT