ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Stupid Baseball Rule

colbert17

Heisman Winner
Aug 30, 2014
Bangkok, Thailand
Starting extra innings with a runner on second base. This caught my attention tonight watching TB/Red Sox game where the Rays had a no hitter through nine innings.
You can now lose a game without allowing a base runner. Example: Team has a perfect game through nine. Tenth inning a runner is placed at second base. First batter bunts him to third (I know, in todays baseball this would never happen)and next man hits a sac fly to score the runner. So in this scenario the team loses a game when their pitchers threw a perfect game.
MLB says the rule was put in to shorten games. Nine inning games are too long but in six + decades of watching baseball I've never heard anyone complain that an extra innings game took too long. IMHO the rule was put in because managers can't manage a bullpen.
Dumb rule.

Starting extra innings with a runner on second base. This caught my attention tonight watching TB/Red Sox game where the Rays had a no hitter through nine innings.
You can now lose a game without allowing a base runner. Example: Team has a perfect game through nine. Tenth inning a runner is placed at second base. First batter bunts him to third (I know, in todays baseball this would never happen)and next man hits a sac fly to score the runner. So in this scenario the team loses a game when their pitchers threw a perfect game.
MLB says the rule was put in to shorten games. Nine inning games are too long but in six + decades of watching baseball I've never heard anyone complain that an extra innings game took too long. IMHO the rule was put in because managers can't manage a bullpen.
Dumb rule.

Extra inning games can be too long.

I sat through one years ago that went 0-0 for like 15 innings, then got called for rain. I mean, wtf. That should not be a possibility. Should just allow a tie after maybe 12 but at least they're doing something. Open-ended OT is not great for anyone.

• Angry
Reactions: Rutgers56

I sat through one years ago that went 0-0 for like 15 innings, then got called for rain. I mean, wtf. That should not be a possibility. Should just allow a tie after maybe 12 but at least they're doing something. Open-ended OT is not great for anyone.
I agree that your scenario would suck.

Reactions: fsg2
Dumb rule.

Well there's always lacrosse.

Dumb rule.

I think it adds some drama and intensity; I don’t mind it in the regular season

I played college softball in the late 80's/early 90's and that was always the rule to start extra innings (the 8th, since 7 innings is regulation) with a runner on second. We always played double headers, so we never thought anything of it.

I don't like the rule but the main point of my post was that because of the rule a team can pitch a perfect game and lose the game. Just thought that it was an interesting twist.

The free runner rule was never intended to be permanent. To my knowledge, it still isn't.

It was implemented in the COVID short season of 2020, and was continued in 2021 when COVID was still a concern. The plan was to discontinue it in 2022. But given the short spring training, and the fact that they are squeezing 162 games into a compressed time frame, they decided to give it another year.

Like it or not, the rule has accomplished what it was intended to accomplish.

Reactions: colbert17
Dumb rule.
Was once a baseball fanatic, but not in decades, as baseball is almost dead to me, as it has become so slow and boring and other sports have replaced it (especially RU) for me. So I haven't paid much attention - are you shitting me that they now put a runner on 2nd in extra innings? WTF - seriously? That's an abomination to change the game like that. Next thing you know, they'll implement a designated hitter for the pitcher (that's sarcasm). Another reason not to come back to baseball, lol.

Reactions: RUaMoose
Dumb rule.
It was used for at least 1 season in the Atlantic league as a trial run for the Majors. I go to a few Patriot games every year and have seen it used a few times. I don't mind it. It gives the game a chance to end sooner.

I am as old school as they come and baseball has always been my #1 sport. But it needs more excitement. There is too much down time. I like the rule. And the perfect game is such a one off scenario that it should not, and won’t, be a consideration as to whether the rule is kept.

I am as old school as they come and baseball has always been my #1 sport. But it needs more excitement. There is too much down time. I like the rule. And the perfect game is such a one off scenario that it should not, and won’t, be a consideration as to whether the rule is kept.
I agree. I also don't understand how people can complain about games being too long and something is finally done about it and they complain about THAT.

I agree with you that the perfect game scenario shouldn't be a consideration. Again I was just pointing out that a team could allow no base runners in a game but lose.
Also as a compromise I like @mikebal9 's idea of starting it in the 12th.

Reactions: RUScrew85
Dumb rule.

Agree. If the game is too long, go home or change the channel and watch the Kardashians.

Dumb rule.
Do they also start with 1 out like my rec softball league ? What a joke. I was losing interest long before they moved the AS game but that was like the coup de grace for me

Reactions: RUScrew85
Agree. If the game is too long, go home or change the channel and watch the Kardashians.
It’s not really that the game is too long. It’s the lack of action relative to the time it now takes to play. I read somewhere, and I think the math probably bears this out, that there is a ball put into play on average once every 4 minutes in an MLB game. That’s the problem.

In softball many leagues start the batter with a 1-1 count when stepping into the batters box. Batters are reluctant to take the first pitch because that can lead to a 1-2 count in favor of the pitcher.

Makes the game move much faster. Possible solution for extra innings?

Play up to 10 innings and if there is still a tie have a tie

Teams do not want to extend games because of what it does to their pitching for the next week

It’s not really that the game is too long. It’s the lack of action relative to the time it now takes to play. I read somewhere, and I think the math probably bears this out, that there is a ball put into play on average once every 4 minutes in an MLB game. That’s the problem.
Good point. And the shift combined with baseball metrics is a part of that problem. The shift forces the batter to try to hit through the shift according to the metrics. This leads to more hrs, fewer hits and many more strikeouts.

Boring.

I wasn't aware management prevented you from leaving until the game is over. Those bastards!

The extra inning rule is awful. I hate it. As are many other baseball rules.

If a fielder tags a runner -- say at home plate for example -- but the ball pops out of the catchers glove upon making contact with the runner, the runner is ruled "safe"? Why? How come the runner isn't out the split second when contact is made? The ball came out because there was contact ... ergo ... the runner should be out.

Also, if a batter strikes out, but the catcher drops the ball, the batter can run to 1st. What does one have to do with other? Makes no sense whatsoever.

The extra inning rule is awful. I hate it. As are many other baseball rules.

If a fielder tags a runner -- say at home plate for example -- but the ball pops out of the catchers glove upon making contact with the runner, the runner is ruled "safe"? Why? How come the runner isn't out the split second when contact is made? The ball came out because there was contact ... ergo ... the runner should be out.

Also, if a batter strikes out, but the catcher drops the ball, the batter can run to 1st. What does one have to do with other? Makes no sense whatsoever.

I'd say the first is like the reception rule in football. You have to control the ball through the process.

The second is likely a holdover from when the game was young and very different.

Instead of extra innings, they should just have a home run derby.

Works for the NHL.

Reactions: goru1869
Instead of extra innings, they should just have a home run derby.

Works for the NHL.
My family and I went to see the Sussex Miners play the NJ Jackels last year and this is what they did to decide the game. Problem was not many of the players could hit the ball over the wall.

If people are going to talk about the lack of action in a baseball game, they must also point out the lack of action in a football game. We see the linemen lined up with their ass pointing in the air more than anyone running down the field. A few years ago, I saw a study about how much time is actually spent PLAYING the game. It is only a few minutes of play time in about 3 hours. More action in hockey and basketball.

Reactions: Rutgers56
Dumb rule.
A very dumb rule. Remember what they taught these players growing up for now two generations , “ no reason to keep score.” “ EVERYONE gets a trophy .” Another reason to not watch baseball . One of the best and most tense situations were extra inning games. Long sure but for many a big part of what base ball was . Today not only the players but fans need to get home . Better things to do. TV has had a major impact on this baseball issue. They lose money by having games go for say 15-16 extra innings . They should do this in basketball as well. At the end of regulation and if a tie game. Each team gets 3 shots from the mid court line. Or how about best of 10 free throws wins.Glad I never played or coached with these “ new” rules.

If people are going to talk about the lack of action in a baseball game, they must also point out the lack of action in a football game. We see the linemen lined up with their ass pointing in the air more than anyone running down the field. A few years ago, I saw a study about how much time is actually spent PLAYING the game. It is only a few minutes of play time in about 3 hours. More action in hockey and basketball.
What you say is true. But IMO it is the very reason why football is the perfect TV sport. A brief period of intense action. Followed by a reasonable period to dissect, analyze, and yes appreciate the action.

If anything, the recent trend of no-huddle offenses has slightly diminished my appreciation of TV football. Things now happen too fast!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT