ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Talk about living in the past

beaced

Hall of Famer
Jul 18, 2004
sunrise fl
Just watched Yankees/Dodgers 1952 ,World Series.7th game.How much better could this be? Up at t he plate Jackie Robinson. Behind the Plate Yogi Berra..Awesome. Then I got into the modern era. Watched some of the 2007 team's International Bowl Game. All very nice BUT I am hoping that this year will give us good things to remember about the current team.

Beached must be nice to have watched Jackie Robinson or Yogi Berra play back then.

I think I feel the same way when talking about Tom Seaver or Lawrence Taylor to some of these younger Mets and Giants fans.

Just watched Yankees/Dodgers 1952 ,World Series.7th game.How much better could this be? Up at t he plate Jackie Robinson. Behind the Plate Yogi Berra..Awesome. Then I got into the modern era. Watched some of the 2007 team's International Bowl Game. All very nice BUT I am hoping that this year will give us good things to remember about the current team.
I keep tellin' ya...you need to keep up your exercise routine. We want you still around when it happens.

I would have liked olde-tyme baseball.

Fans don't admit it but steroids broke the link. It mutated and they still talk about adding the juice montsers to HOF

When I was 10, I was introduced to Jackie Robinson in the dugout before a Dodgers game. Major thrill. I even remember exactly what he said to me!

I was also at the game in Ebbets Field where he stole home against the Cubs. There's a well publicized photo of that play at the plate.

Baseball in the early 1950's was totally important to me as a kid! I still cannot forgive Ralph Branca, though may he rest in peace.

On a Sunday evening in the 1970's my wife and I had a reservation to play tennis at an indoor tennis club just off of 287 near Somerville. As we walked into the club, there was a tall handsome gray-haired fellow in tennis whites speaking with someone at the desk. I recognized him at once and said to my wife "You see that guy. He ruined my life." She looked at me quizzically and said "Huh?" It was Bobby Thomson, who I understood lived nearby in Warren Township.

Last edited:
As a kid I can remember my father taking me to a clothing store in Newark - for the life of me I can,t remember name - where players used to “work” in the off season. Met Yogi and Rizzuto there. Gene Hermanski lived in same apartment my parents were living in waiting to move to Florida in North Plainfield NJ. In later years met both Bobby Thompson and Ralph Branca at a couple of charity golf outings. Those were the days

Reactions: beaced
I keep tellin' ya...you need to keep up your exercise routine. We want you still around when it happens.
Thanks as always. I am looking forward to seeing the good stuff happening.I do what exercise I can.For a guy who worked out religiously 3 times a week ,with weights,what I do now isn't even a sweat breaker. BUT,I do try to get it in a couple of 2-3 times a week.I have very bad rotator cuff problems and some structural ones as well . But all else is quite good. The only scrip med I take is aciphex for reflux,related to a good size hiatal Hernia that was a gift from my heavy lifting days.BUT,as Doris Day said for 97 years,"Que Sera,Sera".

One thing that is odd about the "good old days" of MLB, is that even with much lower ticket prices (compared to inflation), attendance was still much lower. It used to be rare for a team to sell one million seats per season.

Reactions: RUaMoose
As a kid I can remember my father taking me to a clothing store in Newark - for the life of me I can,t remember name - where players used to “work” in the off season. Met Yogi and Rizzuto there. Gene Hermanski lived in same apartment my parents were living in waiting to move to Florida in North Plainfield NJ. In later years met both Bobby Thompson and Ralph Branca at a couple of charity golf outings. Those were the days

Here you go.

Yogi Berra and Phil Rizzuto, suit salesmen

In the '50s, stars didn't get much brighter than Berra and Rizzuto: MVPs, All-Stars and key cogs on the Yankees teams that won five straight titles from 1949-1953.

But hey, even superstars have to make a living, Bronx Bombers included. So, in the winter of 1951, any gentleman in need of a suit in Newark, N.J., could purchase one from a couple of future Hall of Famers.

Berra_Rizzuto_j9na6wg7_hhw1kx1s.jpg

That's 1952 MVP Bobby Shantz trying on a suit while 1951 MVP Berra takes measurements and 1950 MVP Rizzuto jots them down at Newark's American Shops.

Gene Hermanski, there's a name. Good ballplayer.

One thing that is odd about the "good old days" of MLB, is that even with much lower ticket prices (compared to inflation), attendance was still much lower. It used to be rare for a team to sell one million seats per season.
Robinson sold appliances at Sears.

Here you go.

In the '50s, stars didn't get much brighter than Berra and Rizzuto: MVPs, All-Stars and key cogs on the Yankees teams that won five straight titles from 1949-1953.

But hey, even superstars have to make a living, Bronx Bombers included. So, in the winter of 1951, any gentleman in need of a suit in Newark, N.J., could purchase one from a couple of future Hall of Famers.

That's 1952 MVP Bobby Shantz trying on a suit while 1951 MVP Berra takes measurements and 1950 MVP Rizzuto jots them down at Newark's American Shops.
Used to buy suits there. They were on the East side of Broad St. Near Market St.Upstairs was Steele's Pool Room. Spent part of lunch hour there back in '43.

Here you go.

Thanx for reminding me of name

I would have liked olde-tyme baseball.

Fans don't admit it but steroids broke the link. It mutated and they still talk about adding the juice montsers to HOF
Does anyone still air the old home run derbys? Still in black and white, 9 innings, 3 outs per inning, any swing that doesn’t result in a hr is an out. When the player wasn’t batting he sat at a table with the announcer and chatted about the day, on air. It was waaaay before my time, but growing up my friend’s dad introduced us to them. Some channel aired them regularly.

I’m sure they’re on YouTube.

Here you go.

Shantz, a lefty, went on to pitch for the Yankees, although I don't think he was part of the starting rotation. He was known as an excellent fielding pitcher.

Here you go.

Thank you Jethro Tull..When I get to baseball heaven this is who I will have a beer and a smoke with. Eli Grba. Earl Torgeson.Mudcat Grant. Mike De La Hoz. Lindy Mcdaniel.Joe Nuxy Nuxhall.Rip Ripulsky..Smoky Burgess. Pumpsie Green. George Crowre. Sweet Lou Johnson. The 61 Reds and the 62 Giants. Bill Monbouqette.Stu Miller.Tom Tresh.Felix Mantilla. Don Demeter.Hector Lopez.Ken Hubbs. Frank Lary. Gates Brown.And the ringmaster shall be Manager Fred Hutchinson

Reactions: retired711

less games, smaller stadiums, US population was half what it is today.

If memory serves me center field at old Yankee Stadium was 467 ft. Wonder how many fly ball outs over 407 Mantle had in his career. Would have been HR in today’s world

Forget about it...heck, put Mays in one of these band boxes

Reactions: TODDB33
If memory serves me center field at old Yankee Stadium was 467 ft. Wonder how many fly ball outs over 407 Mantle had in his career. Would have been HR in today’s world
On the other hand, it was 296’ down the RF line.

I can still remember racing home from school to watch the games on WPIX channel 11. Then, the monuments in center honoring Miller Huggins, Gehrig and Ruth were in the field of play along with the flagpole. It didn't happen often, but every once in a while a ball over the center-fielders head would bounce and end up behind the monuments. funny to see the fielder go in one way to get the ball and come out the other side.

Thank you Jethro Tull..When I get to baseball heaven this is who I will have a beer and a smoke with. Eli Grba. Earl Torgeson.Mudcat Grant. Mike De La Hoz. Lindy Mcdaniel.Joe Nuxy Nuxhall.Rip Ripulsky..Smoky Burgess. Pumpsie Green. George Crowre. Sweet Lou Johnson. The 61 Reds and the 62 Giants. Bill Monbouqette.Stu Miller.Tom Tresh.Felix Mantilla. Don Demeter.Hector Lopez.Ken Hubbs. Frank Lary. Gates Brown.And the ringmaster shall be Manager Fred Hutchinson
Some great names and players on your list.

I can still remember racing home from school to watch the games on WPIX channel 11. Then, the monuments in center honoring Miller Huggins, Gehrig and Ruth were in the field of play along with the flagpole. It didn't happen often, but every once in a while a ball over the center-fielders head would bounce and end up behind the monuments. funny to see the fielder go in one way to get the ball and come out the other side.
I never thought of it before but I wonder how that affected the layout of the field for the Giants when they played there?

yank08960.jpg

Last edited:
Speaking about players working during the off season, Billy Hands who pitched for the Cubs used to deliver Keller Home Heating Oil to my house during the winter.

Here you go.

I am named after Phil Rizzuto. My Mom, a life long Yankee fan, grew up in Hillside. Phil often shopped at my Grandfathers Deli on the border of Hillside and Elizabeth. I met him a few times when I was young

Phil was hilarious and afraid of everything under the sun.
Bugs, smoke, crowds, planes and figuring out where he was.
The players would kid him and practical joke him,to death, and he always took it with a big laugh... what a great man.
I used to bring him up the elevator to his room in all the team hotels in 85-86... he would hand me his key because there was no way he could find his room in a big hotel.

Phil was hilarious and afraid of everything under the sun.
Bugs, smoke, crowds, planes and figuring out where he was.
The players would kid him and practical joke him,to death, and he always took it with a big laugh... what a great man.
I used to bring him up the elevator to his room in all the team hotels in 85-86... he would hand me his key because there was no way he could find his room in a big hotel.
When I was at Rutgers I worked at the old Price Club (now Costco) on 27 in Edison. Phil and his wife used to shop there all the time. He couldn't have been nicer. Very polite but the after a few visits the people did get a little pushy. Cora was not happy and after that he just stayed in the car.

When I was at Rutgers I worked at the old Price Club (now Costco) on 27 in Edison. Phil and his wife used to shop there all the time. He couldn't have been nicer. Very polite but the after a few visits the people did get a little pushy. Cora was not happy and after that he just stayed in the car.
It’s shocking how many people are idiots.
Gawking comes with the territory, you get used to that and accept it.
It’s the obsession for interaction that can become borderline physical that older guys have problems with.
If you crowded Phil, he was gonna get scared

It’s shocking how many people are idiots.
Gawking comes with the territory, you get used to that and accept it.
It’s the obsession for interaction that can become borderline physical that older guys have problems with.
If you crowded Phil, he was gonna get scared
It is one of the cool things in my area around Mahwah. Joe Morris always working out at the NYS club and no one bothered him, Harry Carson at Starbucks every Sunday morning etc...the guys were just left alone.

One of the funny stories of that sort of thing is when my son was playing for the Jaguars. He, E Monroe and a couple of the other OL and TE’s would go out to a local supermarket or the Mall down there together. He told me it took him a while to figure out why people would just stop and yell go Jags or just run up for autographs. He couldn’t figure it out for the life of him as none of them were wearing football or sporting type clothes...plus, as OL and TE’s no one knew their faces.
Until I pointed out that it was an easy guess when there are 3-4 athletic monsters at 6’5 270 or better walking around together in a small area like that.
It cracked him up he never even thought of that. Lol

Hitting 500 home runs in Candlestick, a lot of it before they closed it in is one of the greatest feats ever for a right handed batter.

The Newark clothing store was called the American Shop
He didn’t have it easy in NY either before they moved to SF...I think Mays may be the greatest power hitter of all time.

Reactions: zappaa
He didn’t have it easy in NY either before they moved to SF...I think Mays may be the greatest power hitter of all time.
He might be the greatest player of all time.
Right there with DiMaggio.
A completely healthy Mantle would have been right there with Mays Yes.

Clemente and Musial, not to shabby

Obviously, your Dad was one of the great hitters and players too but as a catcher, don't think he could be in the same class as an athlete.
You played with some great ones and saw some of the greats you mentioned first hand and up close as a kid and teenager. Did these guys just stand out above and beyond everyone else? Anyone in todays game that even come close to being at their level? If not for Steriods, Arod may have been in that class and a Griffey Jr in his prime but I am hard pressed to really pick out many others

A completely sober Mantle I'm sure that hurt his totals and injuries. Cant burn both sides of the candle

ADVERTISEMENT