ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Teen impaled by javelin during track meet

So many questions watching this video.

I remember this happening to a kid from St Joes Metuchen.

Well that was more than a little disturbing. Wasn’t expecting videos and pictures.

the best was the one of him sitting in a chair like nothing was happening

javelin-throw-40.jpg

That video shows how advanced our first responders are in treating and preparing for transport injured patients.
Compared to US transport That Indian ambo crew looked like Neanderthal transport.

Reactions: newell138
History does tend to repeat itself.In 1941,I was at a South side,NWK, baseball game at Schools STADIUM.A friend of mine,Berge Parigian,had just hit a homer.BERGE played FB for RU post war.At the South end,Central H.S. was having a track team practice session.A kid going over a low hurdle was impaled in the thigh while in full stretch.SURVIVED ,if memory serves me.The PILUM is one dangerous sukka.Back in the DAY they could have used it in battle instead of TRACK.

I once hit the prom queen in the face with a soft ball in gym class as she was running towards first base. I threw it a little up the line, but a good first baseman would have bailed me out.

Major reason why NJ HS track requires rubber tipped javelins. Here is an example with red rubber tips below.

ote-600g-rubbertip-javelinfamily_1.jpg

For anyone interested, Rutgers' own Joe Martinek in his 4 years of HS finished 4th, 3rd, 2nd and 2nd in Javelin event at the MOC.

Last edited:

It happened twice at St. Joe’s, I knew the thrower and catcher of the first incident.

I believe it also happened to a guy from South Plainfield in the early ‘70s - thru the leg.

That video shows how advanced our first responders are in treating and preparing for transport injured patients.
Compared to US transport That Indian ambo crew looked like Neanderthal transport.

The school has 0 toilets for males and 1 for girls
There are 3 women teaching in one classroom
There is no running water

This reminds me of a guy back in HS that was Marty Feldman ugly… he was a javelin catcher for the track team and goalie for the dart team 😉

Yeah and of course the first line of the article is a joke about the situation--"It looks like he got the point." Modern "journalism."
I am a USAT&F certified official, this should never have happened because in NJ you have to use a rubber tip. I know both of these coaches and they should have examined the javelins first to see if they had the rubber tips on.

I am a USAT&F certified official, this should never have happened because in NJ you have to use a rubber tip. I know both of these coaches and they should have examined the javelins first to see if they had the rubber tips on.
Not sure why you quoted my post, but either way this didn't happen in NJ or even the US.

I’m waiting for the post that lambasts this as the emasculation of sports.

“Back in my day, there were no rubber tips on the javelins. At practice, the coach used to lob them at us and we had to dodge, dip, duck, dive, dodge them. Kids today are soft.”

Clearly looks like a homemade javelin. In India I am assuming that the javelin is becoming super popular because the current gold medalist is from India and he is a national hero. I'm sure it's exploding and there are only so many people there that actually know what they are doing. It looked like a bamboo stick shaved to a point.

I’m waiting for the post that lambasts this as the emasculation of sports.

“Back in my day, there were no rubber tips on the javelins. At practice, the coach used to lob them at us and we had to dodge, dip, duck, dive, dodge them. Kids today are soft.”
Oooh I’ll start! Back in my day playing travel club lacrosse we once had a game vs a rival who taped upside down beer bottle caps to the butt of their sticks and tried jabbing us with them throughout the game. That caused a full fledged brawl on the field!!!

ADVERTISEMENT