ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Tell your sob story

HeywoodGiant

Senior
Gold Member
May 5, 2019
Amuse me with your story of how in your youth a coach didn’t recognize your talent or treated you unfairly and you otherwise would have been a contender.

FedKl39.png

I kind of have a weird gallop, but I would have been deadly on the kickoff team.

Reactions: goru1869
Never had any issues with athletics, but some of my teachers didn't recognize my brilliance.
Here's some film of me when I was little.

My gym teacher in HS was a AA OR AAA PROSPECT for the As. A complete and total asshole. Because I was not a particularly good baseball or softball player (can’t remember what we were playing then nor care) and there were not enough gloves to go around, I was sent to what i can only call, extra deep left field.

After attempting to argue with this Neanderthal that fielding balls to the outfield without a glove was not a good idea, I decided to just stand there and just let them roll on by. Man it pissed him off and delighted me.

Shore Regional High School sucked and I hated it. 😊

My Little League Coach was my sob story. lol
I was always on the small side so was never going to hit for power. But a very good fielder, good arm, speed and hit for contact. I was a kid that also started school early and right at the very young borderline. I would say about 6 months younger than most of my classmate. The good thing was that I was good enough to get into LL at 9 when most of kids started at 10. Thus, allowing me to be playing on teams along with the kids in my class that were older.
So, Coach would play me pretty much 6 innings each game either at 2b or SS and I always responded with very good D and somewhere between .365-.600 for my 4 years in LL but...it was almost always all singles with a few doubles mixed in. Of course, ended up on 2b or 3b many times as my speed allowed me to just keep going as soon as an OF made a mistake. All sounds good except- the F-ing guy would never select me for the All Star team that traveled for Tourney's. He would send a couple of kids on the team that would barely hit .300 but could hit HR's. I also asked him if I could take a shot pitching- I always had a pretty good arm for a small guy. One summer league- he gave me a shot. I pitched 12 innings and maybe gave up 5 or 6 hits and struck out somewhere between 10-12 hitters. Come the regular season, and he refused to let me pitch. I went to his house one day at like 11 years old and asked him why he had such an issue with me. I'm sitting down with him and asked why he wouldn't let me pitch- his answer, you are too small. Even when I pointed out how well I did for him during the summer. But he kept just repeating that in his opinion, I was too small. OK- so, I ask, what was his problem with me and never selecting for the AS team when I was his SS best fielder and the previous year batted something like .545 and that he sent a kid that hit under .300 but had 2 HR. His answer- is that he didn't feel I was a good enough hitter because too many of my hits were to CF and RF...I really wanted to punch this guy in the face but figured it was my final year and then on to Babe Ruth League and a new coach.
So, the next year- we have the BR tryouts and then the draft. I am waiting at my phone waiting for that call(you guys remember how gut wrenching that was in the days were everyone DID NOT get a trophy. lol
So- phone rings- I know from friends that they are still calling the kids that made it so I am excited as hell until I answer the phone. That MF'r, who I spent 4 years hating playing for and who told me hitting to right and center field was a sign of a bad hitter, drafted my ass to play for him again. - freaking 3 more years of the same shit except with my speed, I was able to add SB's to my game. Still played SS, still hit near .500 and still all singles and doubles but taking extra bases like crazy and still not getting any recognition from this AH...

Reactions: HeywoodGiant
My Little League Coach was my sob story. lol
I was always on the small side so was never going to hit for power. But a very good fielder, good arm, speed and hit for contact. I was a kid that also started school early and right at the very young borderline. I would say about 6 months younger than most of my classmate. The good thing was that I was good enough to get into LL at 9 when most of kids started at 10. Thus, allowing me to be playing on teams along with the kids in my class that were older.
So, Coach would play me pretty much 6 innings each game either at 2b or SS and I always responded with very good D and somewhere between .365-.600 for my 4 years in LL but...it was almost always all singles with a few doubles mixed in. Of course, ended up on 2b or 3b many times as my speed allowed me to just keep going as soon as an OF made a mistake. All sounds good except- the F-ing guy would never select me for the All Star team that traveled for Tourney's. He would send a couple of kids on the team that would barely hit .300 but could hit HR's. I also asked him if I could take a shot pitching- I always had a pretty good arm for a small guy. One summer league- he gave me a shot. I pitched 12 innings and maybe gave up 5 or 6 hits and struck out somewhere between 10-12 hitters. Come the regular season, and he refused to let me pitch. I went to his house one day at like 11 years old and asked him why he had such an issue with me. I'm sitting down with him and asked why he wouldn't let me pitch- his answer, you are too small. Even when I pointed out how well I did for him during the summer. But he kept just repeating that in his opinion, I was too small. OK- so, I ask, what was his problem with me and never selecting for the AS team when I was his SS best fielder and the previous year batted something like .545 and that he sent a kid that hit under .300 but had 2 HR. His answer- is that he didn't feel I was a good enough hitter because too many of my hits were to CF and RF...I really wanted to punch this guy in the face but figured it was my final year and then on to Babe Ruth League and a new coach.
So, the next year- we have the BR tryouts and then the draft. I am waiting at my phone waiting for that call(you guys remember how gut wrenching that was in the days were everyone DID NOT get a trophy. lol
So- phone rings- I know from friends that they are still calling the kids that made it so I am excited as hell until I answer the phone. That MF'r, who I spent 4 years hating playing for and who told me hitting to right and center field was a sign of a bad hitter, drafted my ass to play for him again. - freaking 3 more years of the same shit except with my speed, I was able to add SB's to my game. Still played SS, still hit near .500 and still all singles and doubles but taking extra bases like crazy and still not getting any recognition from this AH...

But no hard feelings, right? 😀

One of my hs soccer teammates invited his girlfriend to an away game that was being played in his hometown. Hoping to impress her with his playing skills, he found out just before the game that he would be a DNP - coach’s decision after being a starter all season. To this day he still rants and raves and hates on the coach to friends on FB, accusing him of intentionally embarrassing him and knowing that he was bringing his gf to the game. The game was played more than 40 years ago.

Still waters run deep.

Last edited:
Reactions: HeywoodGiant
I WAS a contender, but my HS coach didn’t believe in hydration and my skills diminished.

In middle school I was one of three 7th graders to make the baseball team. Then the next year the head coach retired and was replaced by another teacher at the school and the new coach cut me, even though I killed it in tryouts, plus it was unheard of to make it in 7th grade but not 8th. I asked him why and his reason was that he wanted to give someone else a chance. I was convinced, along with a lot of other kids and parents, that he just forgot me. All good though, I moved on and kept playing HS the following years as three year varsity starter.

Last edited:
I was last guy cut from Pony League team. According to a friend on the team it was between me and Bob to get the spot. Coach picked Bob because his dad (and Rotary Club buddy of the coach) told coach he had just bought Bob a new first baseman’s mitt. My friend was more po’d than I was and still claims that the decision cost them the league title because Bob couldn’t catch a ball thrown to first to save his life. My buddy still complains about it 50+ years later.

Reactions: Knightmoves
ADVERTISEMENT