ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Temperature in Phoenix

Any heat that raises your internal body temp is dangerous... but high humidity in hot temps is the worst. If both are going to kill you I'd pick the hotter dry heat every day of the week. And, yes, I've spent a summer in Phoenix before where windshields were popping out of some 90s car model.. hmm.. Toyotas I think.. and the airport would close runways or taxiways due to the heat. With the wet heat when you go back inside you have to change out of your drenched clothing.. in a dry heat you don't have to do that.

Back in 1980 I was visiting my brother who built his first home in Peoria Arizona. Across from the Astros spring training camp 1/4 mile across rte # 66 . The first morning I asked him if there was a supermarket nearby? Sure he says it’s 1 mile , easy walk and so we began our journey... it was 112 ... and after living in Texas I figured this can’t be hard. In the distance was a Bashas Supermarket and a MacDonalds with a lonesome Royal Palm and when we finally reached it , we immediately asked for water( ice water all the time) . Called my brother and told him “ get your ass here cause we’re not walking back... his reply , “ you’ll get used to it.” Sorry you NEVER get used to that type of heat.

It’s gonna get worse — global warming IS real. Start packing for Canada, cause the Mexicans and Central Americans will come here, wall or no wall

Just for fun I did a check on that Saudi s***hole, Dhahran

12:10AM temp 93, dew point 83

that’s a 116 heat index!

there is an innumerable number of reasons never to set foot in that hole...this is right up there!:Fire

I love this hot, humid weather, for me its the perfect weather for mountain biking, one you're in the shade so the sun don't beat down on you, there is hardly any traffic on the trails from other riders or hikers so you have the woods to yourself, and it's the best way to get in shape........or keel over from heat exhaustion.

A couple of days in the mid 80's and the black flies in the Adirondacks usually disappear. Just wear a hat to deep the deer flies off your hair and all is good.

Long Lake to Tupper Lake NY is a great ride (about 20 M) with a nice wide shoulder and very light traffic. An ice cream store at both ends for stopping for a cone.

I was in Phoenix one summer for a week and it was almost 120 every day. Sat under an umbrella and it was perfect. Not one bead of sweat. Here I’m sweating before I’m done toweling off after a shower.

Kansas City, was about 115 for a week, at around 4 PM the shadow of the hotel would cover the pool and I would sit in the shallow end on a chair and have Transfusions sent out.

Wait - it's hot in Phoenix in the summer?

holly cow....... alert the media.....

It’s gonna get worse — global warming IS real. Start packing for Canada, cause the Mexicans and Central Americans will come here, wall or no wall

I'm moving to Martha's Vineyard, just like our President # 44 has, he's so smart that there is no way global warming is happening....

Reactions: scottsdaleal
Kansas City, was about 115 for a week, at around 4 PM the shadow of the hotel would cover the pool and I would sit in the shallow end on a chair and have Transfusions sent out.
Midwest summers are gross. Well so are their winters. Lol

Reactions: BigWill
Wait - it's hot in Phoenix in the summer?

holly cow....... alert the media.....

Phoenix has already had a record-setting summer, setting a new mark for most days 110 degrees or higher in a single year with 36, a number that's expected to climb over the next 7 days as temperatures soar to 115 degrees.

Phoenix has already had a record-setting summer, setting a new mark for most days 110 degrees or higher in a single year with 36, a number that's expected to climb over the next 7 days as temperatures soar to 115 degrees.

They are forecasting 110 or higher for the next week.

Even those of us who have gotten used to it are melting

Since my gym is closed, I've been running up a flood control spill way in Pecos Park here in Phoenix. I'm always very hydrated.1.5 mile walk to spill way. It's about 30 yards long, 25 degree incline. 20 reps. up and down. 1.5 mile walk back. 3 times a week. Top temp 112 during run. I'm 78 and under psychiatric care. The hardest part about enduring the heat is the monotony, especially in August when overnight low is near 90 every night.

Reactions: rurichdog
Since my gym is closed, I've been running up a flood control spill way in Pecos Park here in Phoenix. I'm always very hydrated.1.5 mile walk to spill way. It's about 30 yards long, 25 degree incline. 20 reps. up and down. 1.5 mile walk back. 3 times a week. Top temp 112 during run. I'm 78 and under psychiatric care. The hardest part about enduring the heat is the monotony, especially in August when overnight low is near 90 every night.

This

I use to go to the movie theatre to get out of the heat when I was in Phoenix.

Movies were always a big summertime place for us to get out of the heat.

We all commented back in the spring, before it got hot, how lucky we were that we could be outdoors during the shutdown. 6 months later it's definitely changed with the heat. The wife and I can handle a few hours outside on the patio (in the shade with our misters on) but not much more than that. I even hate our pool this time of year because you still have to do all the work to keep it up but, can't enjoy it because it's so hot

Movies were always a big summertime place for us to get out of the heat.

We all commented back in the spring, before it got hot, how lucky we were that we could be outdoors during the shutdown. 6 months later it's definitely changed with the heat. The wife and I can handle a few hours outside on the patio (in the shade with our misters on) but not much more than that. I even hate our pool this time of year because you still have to do all the work to keep it up but, can't enjoy it because it's so hot

Every time I go to Phoenix, I'm baffled as to why anyone thought that it was hospitable enough for human life to settle there, let alone build a top 10-size city. With the Brown, sun-beaten mountains all around, it feels ike a huge, natural solar oven.

Reactions: Knightmoves
Do people migrate from Arizona in the summer, i.e. head up to Canada or something as a respite from the extreme heat? Kind of a reverse snowbird deal?

We normally rent a place in La Jolla for 4 weeks in the summer to get away but this year because of the craziness the owners of the house we go to decided to not rent it and use it for themselves

Reactions: RUnTeX
Every time I go to Phoenix, I'm baffled as to why anyone thought that it was hospitable enough for human life to settle there, let alone build a top 10-size city. With the Brown, sun-beaten mountains all around, it feels ike a huge, natural solar oven.

And Gary Bettman put a hockey team there. Smh

Any good bars that sell ice cold Bud?

And Gary Bettman put a hockey team there. Smh

Any good bars that sell ice cold Bud?

Scottsdale is fun for bars. Has a touristy downtown with a bunch close together. Closed one local dive down doing shots with the bartender and groups of other out of towners.

I'd stick to Flagstaff in this heat, tho. Also a nice downtown, with a few good bars and microbreweries.

Scottsdale is fun for bars. Has a touristy downtown with a bunch close together. Closed one local dive down doing shots with the bartender and groups of other out of towners.

I'd stick to Flagstaff in this heat, tho. Also a nice downtown, with a few good bars and microbreweries.

Sounds like a good time, maybe next Spring

For now with funds limited, I'm pretty much indulging in my supply of Bud cans and Beam.

Bud should last through Labor Day, I may have to flip over to Natty Light again if I can't find a new job

Sounds like a good time, maybe next Spring

For now with funds limited, I'm pretty much indulging in my supply of Bud cans and Beam.

Bud should last through Labor Day, I may have to flip over to Natty Light again if I can't find a new job

Hopefully things will be back by then. Had been going to Flag every spring prior to this year. Usually a road trip, fun way to kick off summer season (except the year it snowed).

Hope you find something. No man should have to step down to Natty anything :Wink:

We moved my mom up here after 25 years of living in Florida. She is constantly cold and keeps the thermostat at 78 at all times. She really suffers in the winter.
When you say up here, is that Albany? (Yeah, the power of deductive reasoning). If Albany, how do you like living in Albany?

ADVERTISEMENT