ADVERTISEMENT

OT: The Annual "As God As My Witness" Thanksgiving at WKRP

Source

Heisman Winner
Aug 1, 2001
Most of us have seen it... over and over. But many weren't even born when this Thanksgiving episode aired in 1978. Inept WKRP in Cincinnati station manager Arthur Carlson personally takes Thanksgiving under his wing with a station promo he doesn't reveal to the staff. Hapless/nerd news man Les Nessman covers the event.

Extra kudos if you recognize the live coverage that mimicked the Hindenburg disaster. TV Guide ranked it #40 on TV's all time greatest episodes.

Last edited:
And here's the background to that episode based the real life story of "As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly."

Happy and safe Thanksgiving everyone!

It was a great episode in the run of a good show.

This thread would be incomplete without recognizing, generally, the fabulous talent that was the late Gordon Jump.

The man behind WKRP's Arthur Carlson started out in television in 1965 on an episode of Daniel Boone. He went on to appear in more than 35 different TV sitcoms until 1997. He also appeared in 22 movies and was, for a while, the "Maytag Repairman."

Jan Smithers was on the cover of Newsweek as a 17 year old sitting on a motorcycle.

b410faf932ffcc9ff49c816c4330b775--vintage-honda-motorcycles-jan-smithers.jpg

Reactions: G- RUnit
Most of us have seen it... over and over. But many weren't even born when this Thanksgiving episode aired in 1978. Inept WKRP in Cincinnati station manager Arthur Carlson personally takes Thanksgiving under his wing with a station promo he doesn't reveal to the staff. Hapless/nerd news man Les Nessman covers the event.

Extra kudos if you recognize the live coverage that mimicked the Hindenburg disaster. TV Guide ranked it #40 on TV's all time greatest episodes.

Laughed just as hard as I did when I first saw it as an 11 year old. Thanks.

For years...years, I could not talk about this episode without laughing so hard and being in tears.

Have to say that last 10/11 minutes IMO is the funniest in television history.

"...and then the turkeys mounted a counterattack. It's like they were...organized."

Last edited:
Reactions: sdwcpa and angmo
Great show, another one with great opening lyrics and music. They don't do that much anymore....

I always liked the drunk driving response time test episode with Johnny and Venus.

This is right up there with The March of the Wooden Soldiers as a Thanksgiving tradition.

Reactions: rags
ADVERTISEMENT