ADVERTISEMENT

OT: The Bowling Alleys at Rutgers - Photo

Source

Heisman Winner
Aug 1, 2001
Thought this post card currently on ebay would provide a quick memory for some of the "classic" alumni on the Board. Where the bowling alleys were is now the current entrance to the Red Lion Cafe in the basement of the Rutgers Student Center. If memory serves, I believe it was 3 games for $1 back then. I could be mis-remembering that however.

By the way, bowling was a huge sport at Rutgers at the start of the 20th century. Back then, Rutgers had intercollegiate competitions but in a unique way. Using the honor system, Rutgers would bowl and telegraph the results to its opponent. The opponent would do the same wherever they were!

Anyone remember the bowling alleys in Loree Gym over at Douglass? About 6 lanes if I remember correctly. The pins had to be manually set. You could earn money being a pin setter. You were supposed to stand behind the lanes and then hop up over the back of the lane (probably about 5 feet high) when the pins needed to be set. You were not supposed to sit up on the back of the lane and wait as flying pins were a danger. Saw a few nasty accidents as pin setters did not always follow that rule.

Reactions: newell138
Anyone remember the bowling alleys in Loree Gym over at Douglass? About 6 lanes if I remember correctly. The pins had to be manually set. You could earn money being a pin setter. You were supposed to stand behind the lanes and then hop up over the back of the lane (probably about 5 feet high) when the pins needed to be set. You were not supposed to sit up on the back of the lane and wait as flying pins were a danger. Saw a few nasty accidents as pin setters did not always follow that rule.
What I remember the most was manually setting up the pins.

Was team captain and MVP of the Spring 2006 Rutgers Intramural Bowing league on those lanes.
Still have my “Rutgers Intramural Champion” mug.

Lanes were so dry they marked the hell out of my ball. Luckily it was an old ball and I replaced it afterwards anyway.

Reactions: RULoyal

There is also a video of the lanes in action. I re-listed the site below because my computer wouldn't load up when I clicked on the site immediately above:

I played there a few times. You had to step on a pedal that raised spikes that you set the pins in if I recall correctly

Yeah.. I did that.. not for money.. but just to bowl for free with friends a couple places growing up. One was a basement of a poltiical club somewhere. So LOUD back there. Both times everyone took a turn setting.. but we only did one game. It took too much enrgy setting up pins. Working for the money and going to a real alley was by far the better deal.

Looks like they tried that blacklight gimmick at some point.
xfn7joujgau01.jpg

Last edited:
Was team captain and MVP of the Spring 2006 Rutgers Intramural Bowing league on those lanes.
Still have my “Rutgers Intramural Champion” mug.

anyway.
I have mine somewhere too.

Can’t remember if it’s for floor hockey or softball though. LOL

Not sharing the year. Safe to say it might have been made with lead paint.

I did a few sessions pin setting to earn some cash. This was like 1990/1991

I remember the rifle range in the basement of the barn. It’s NJ, I’m sure that’s long gone. 😉

Thought this post card currently on ebay would provide a quick memory for some of the "classic" alumni on the Board. Where the bowling alleys were is now the current entrance to the Red Lion Cafe in the basement of the Rutgers Student Center. If memory serves, I believe it was 3 games for $1 back then. I could be mis-remembering that however.

By the way, bowling was a huge sport at Rutgers at the start of the 20th century. Back then, Rutgers had intercollegiate competitions but in a unique way. Using the honor system, Rutgers would bowl and telegraph the results to its opponent. The opponent would do the same wherever they were!

What a cool place. Too bad it was before my time. Those are the kind of fun, social activities that students need (and will remember).

Had the high game of my life (221) playing in some sort of league for us resident students 1972-1973 school year. Hardenburgh 4th floor.
Reminds me that back then before cell phones and personal computers our connection to the outside world was a pay phone booth at the end of the hall. Incoming calls were not frequent but closest to the booth would answer and go see if the intended callee was around. A different world.

ADVERTISEMENT