ADVERTISEMENT

OT: The ESPY's

LOL!!

In a video from TMZ Sports published Sunday, Favre was asked if he thinks Kaepernick has reached the stature of a figure such as Jackie Robinson or Muhammad Ali and if he belongs in the Hall of Fame based on his work on and off the field.

Why stop at Jackie Robinson? I would put him right up there with Martin Luther King and Rosa Parks!

Reactions: Spare130
LOL!!

In a video from TMZ Sports published Sunday, Favre was asked if he thinks Kaepernick has reached the stature of a figure such as Jackie Robinson or Muhammad Ali and if he belongs in the Hall of Fame based on his work on and off the field.

Why stop at Jackie Robinson? I would put him right up there with Martin Luther King and Rosa Parks!

You’re laughing, but Roger Goodale isn’t. Favre might be an old redneck from southern Mississippi, but he is no fool.

ESPN may be dead to you, but it is far from dead.
ESPN used to be the channel that nearly all sports fans watched in the morning or evening for a review of sports and sports news.
Now--not so much. Don't know why that is, but it seems to be. Maybe it is still alive, but barely. Their college football pre-game show is a good watch still. Their MLB coverage is terrible.

LOL!!

All the names you cite are currently viewed much more favorably in historical context than they were in their own time. I suspect Kaepernick will be as well. Goodell is trying to stay ahead of the curve, or at least keep pace with it.

All the names you cite are currently viewed much more favorably in historical context than they were in their own time. I suspect Kaepernick will be as well. Goodell is trying to stay ahead of the curve, or at least keep pace with it.
You seem to be a voice of reason. Can you sort through the noise and provide links about Kaeprenick and when he started kneeling versus his purported decline in QB skills? Some say that his kneeling was a way of drawing attention to himself in view of his declining skills. My comments have nothing to do with the message behind his kneeling. Athletes, especially elite athletes, can be powerful voices for social change in America. Jackie Robinson and Muhammad Ali are two excellent examples.

To the argument that his skills declined-- his stats were fairly solid the last year he played at the Niners:
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/K/KaepCo00.htm
However, he was plagued with injuries. And in 2016, his final season, the Niners won one game with Kaepernick as the starter (he started 11 games). But, the Niners had Chip Kelly as their head coach in 2016. A lot to unpack and sort out.

You seem to be a voice of reason. Can you sort through the noise and provide links about Kaeprenick and when he started kneeling versus his purported decline in QB skills? Some say that his kneeling was a way of drawing attention to himself in view of his declining skills. My comments have nothing to do with the message behind his kneeling. Athletes, especially elite athletes, can be powerful voices for social change in America. Jackie Robinson and Muhammad Ali are two excellent examples.

To the argument that his skills declined-- his stats were fairly solid the last year he played at the Niners:
However, he was plagued with injuries. And in 2016, his final season, the Niners won one game with Kaepernick as the starter (he started 11 games). But, the Niners had Chip Kelly as their head coach in 2016. A lot to unpack and sort out.

I believe he had become the backup when he started kneeling

ESPN used to be the channel that nearly all sports fans watched in the morning or evening for a review of sports and sports news.
Now--not so much. Don't know why that is, but it seems to be. Maybe it is still alive, but barely. Their college football pre-game show is a good watch still. Their MLB coverage is terrible.
Obviously all sports outlets are being hammered right now, since without live sports they have no reason for being. This too shall pass.

Competition is another issue. ESPN no longer has monopoly status in the 24/7 sports space. CBS, NBC, and Fox all offer credible alternatives. Plus a plethora of blogs and streaming options.

And yes I admit ESPN does swing left. I personally am fine with this but I can certainly see how not everyone would be. Exercise your alternatives and let the marketplace sort it out.

All of that said, ESPN is still the standard against which the competition measures its progress.

Obviously all sports outlets are being hammered right now, since without live sports they have no reason for being. This too shall pass.

Competition is another issue. ESPN no longer has monopoly status in the 24/7 sports space. CBS, NBC, and Fox all offer credible alternatives. Plus a plethora of blogs and streaming options.

And yes I admit ESPN does swing left. I personally am fine with this but I can certainly see how not everyone would be. Exercise your alternatives and let the marketplace sort it out.

All of that said, ESPN is still the standard against which the competition measures its progress.
I wasn't referring to now in terms of ESPN. I was referring to pre-pandemic. You are right about competition.
Just guessing, but would think a lot (maybe a large majority) of people view sports (and music) as entertainment, and they want to be entertained. Sports and music are an escape from the toxic news on both sides. Some people are on the left or the right may not want to hear about political issue (especially those they disagree with) when seeking escape from politics. They have a choice- don't watch or change the channel.

It's been a while since I have watched ESPN. Actually saw that they had the Coppa Italia live last week and watched it for a bit. Horrible game, even worse commentary. Maybe it was partially due to lack of atmosphere & I believe ESPN made the decision to not add a crowd soundtrack, which to my ears was distracting & didn't help with the spectacle.

ESPN has definitely been hurt by Covid, but they were already getting hurt by the twin impacts of more cable sports rivals plus people cutting the cord. I don't go out of my way to avoid ESPN, but they definitely have become second or third tier in terms of the sports channels I regularly watch. Don't even have them on in the background any more for highlights.

It's been a while since I have watched ESPN. Actually saw that they had the Coppa Italia live last week and watched it for a bit. Horrible game, even worse commentary. Maybe it was partially due to lack of atmosphere & I believe ESPN made the decision to not add a crowd soundtrack, which to my ears was distracting & didn't help with the spectacle.

ESPN has definitely been hurt by Covid, but they were already getting hurt by the twin impacts of more cable sports rivals plus people cutting the cord. I don't go out of my way to avoid ESPN, but they definitely have become second or third tier in terms of the sports channels I regularly watch. Don't even have them on in the background any more for highlights.

ESPN is still a Giant in Live College Football, College Basketball, College Baseball, and College Softball.. From late August to late June I watch a Ton of live games on any one of 5 ESPN platforms.

I have never watched one minute of the ESPY's. It's a ridiculous concept with moronic awards. Would anyone care if it just went away?

Wait I correct myself!! I've watched a Youtube clip of Norm MacDonald's opening monologue in 1998. Some of Norm's jokes would get him crucified today. His joke about Charles Woodson is a classic at the 7:50 mark and is one of the ballsiest jokes ever. Humor is dead.

Here's an article from fivethirtyeight.com from 2017. Title says it all "Colin Kaepernick is not supposed to be unemployed". It notes that the Ravens coach and GM wanted to sign him, but the owner dragged his feet.
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/colin-kaepernick-is-not-supposed-to-be-unemployed/

Teams danced around the issue of signing Kaepernick while trying to evade the 800 pound gorilla - they didn't want him kneeling for the anthem. The most ludicrous explanation at the time was offered by Pete Carroll - Kaepernick deserved to be a starter and the Seahawks couldn't offer him a starting job, therefore they couldn't sign him. Oh really Pete? Since when have you been concerned about stockpiling too much talent?

With each passing year it became easier for teams to rationalize not signing him. You know, because game rust and all that.

I have never watched one minute of the ESPY's. It's a ridiculous concept with moronic awards. Would anyone care if it just went away?

Wait I correct myself!! I've watched a Youtube clip of Norm MacDonald's opening monologue in 1998. Some of Norm's jokes would get him crucified today. His joke about Charles Woodson is a classic at the 7:50 mark and is one of the ballsiest jokes ever. Humor is dead.

Norm is incredibly funny - severely underrated

Reactions: RUonBrain
A huge part of that shift is media availability. You wanted highlights you watched sports center. Now, can go to YouTube and watch 5 min highlights of whatever game I want. Commoditization of score / highlights is large reason why network has tried to shift away from that and towards personalities and opinions.

ESPN is still a Giant in Live College Football, College Basketball, College Baseball, and College Softball.. From late August to late June I watch a Ton of live games on any one of 5 ESPN platforms.

Never said they didn't have a lot of content. It just tended to not be what I have been watching lately. As I noted, I caught some of the Coppa Italia match (soccer), but wound up watching more of the EPL restart matches on NBCSN, as they have a better product. They have a truly dedicated soccer production, not like ESPN who turns up about once every 4 years, if even that.

College basketball? College football? BTN, thank you, since ESPN tends to ignore RU, or at best puts us on secondary channels. Even when I watch other conferences, I usually catch them on other channels, not ESPN. Caught some of the BCS games on ESPN, but I really haven't been enthralled with what ESPN has anymore. ESPN highlight shows used to be must watch TV, but too many competitors has produced a glut of content & I know I just don't have as much time to waste an hour like when I was much younger.

I think ESPN's problem is that they have to cover EVERYTHING, while other channels can concentrate on a few sports. Their product, while still good at some areas, seems weak vs rivals who can put more effort in their promoted sports.

A huge part of that shift is media availability. You wanted highlights you watched sports center. Now, can go to YouTube and watch 5 min highlights of whatever game I want. Commoditization of score / highlights is large reason why network has tried to shift away from that and towards personalities and opinions.

ESPN's time has past. I'm 9000 miles away and I can stream nearly every college basketball and football game being played.
It's about as relevant as a typewriter. Usable but obsolete.

LOL!!

a guy who took the money and stfu is being compared to them LOL. Sad.

ESPN may be dead to you, but it is far from dead.
Their ratings have been going down the drain for years... The numbers say it's on life support. It's more a political network now than sports, which helped destroy it. The only good thing they have is 30 for 30

TO THE KAEPERNICK SUCKED ON THE FIELD CREW:
I'm not saying that he had seasons like Mahomes, L. Jackson, or Russell Wilson. But:
1. His 14-2 TD ratio, even as a starter half the season, was pretty good compared to Peterman, Trubisky, Tyrod Taylor, Minchew, and some of the other starting QBs who popped up last few years. In fact his career stats were better than those above but hey... they knew their place.
2. No excuse but I would like to see Tom Brady, Big Ben, Peyton and Eli, Mahomes, Wilson, Jackson, and some of the other elite QBs behind those offensive lines. In fact I would like to see those QBs with Jim Tomsula as their head coach or Chip Kelly after the NFL figured out how he runs his offense.

Should Kaepernick automatically be a starter right now? No he should earn his way back like everyone else. But hes still better than that middle group of QBs listed above. And to say he sucked because you dont agree with him is condescending IMO.

IN

Reactions: Greg2020
I have no objection or negative feelings whatsoever after watching that. A very well-thought out and powerful message. One item that should have been part of the message is finding ways to improve policing in this country. As a strong supporter of police and having several friends who are police officers, some departments could use training and continued retraining to deal with the stress of the job and deescalation. It is a very difficult job--very few human beings can process the myriad of issues alone--training and and open discussion of the issues are needed.

I have no objection or negative feelings whatsoever after watching that. A very well-thought out and powerful message. One item that should have been part of the message is finding ways to improve policing in this country. As a strong supporter of police and having several friends who are police officers, some departments could use training and continued retraining to deal with the stress of the job and deescalation. It is a very difficult job--very few human beings can process the myriad of issues alone--training and and open discussion of the issues are needed.

The message they are spouting is that we are living in a racist country. Sorry, its just not true. Are there racist people? racist cops? Yes, of course, there are also racist doctors, lawyers, judges and racist blacks, asians and hispanics. Some people are just racist, but its a small part of society.

For the most part we live in a country where no one cares about your skin color, just what type of person you are and its a proven fact that if you work hard, you will be successful, regardless of your race.

TO THE KAEPERNICK SUCKED ON THE FIELD CREW:
I'm not saying that he had seasons like Mahomes, L. Jackson, or Russell Wilson. But:
1. His 14-2 TD ratio, even as a starter half the season, was pretty good compared to Peterman, Trubisky, Tyrod Taylor, Minchew, and some of the other starting QBs who popped up last few years. In fact his career stats were better than those above but hey... they knew their place.
2. No excuse but I would like to see Tom Brady, Big Ben, Peyton and Eli, Mahomes, Wilson, Jackson, and some of the other elite QBs behind those offensive lines. In fact I would like to see those QBs with Jim Tomsula as their head coach or Chip Kelly after the NFL figured out how he runs his offense.

Should Kaepernick automatically be a starter right now? No he should earn his way back like everyone else. But hes still better than that middle group of QBs listed above. And to say he sucked because you dont agree with him is condescending IMO.

IN
3-16 last 19 games I believe. got benched for Gabbert.
I have to go back and check when I have a minute but I think SF's PPG during that stretch was dead last. He sucked. But it's not because I don't agree with him. He should be able to kneel if he wants to voice his opinion. The same way drew brees should be allowed to voice his opinion also.

People must really be bored/desperate at this point if they are investing time to complain about a network manufactured award show that was originally created as filler content during the low sports activity period after the Super Bowl.

Their ratings have been going down the drain for years... The numbers say it's on life support. It's more a political network now than sports, which helped destroy it. The only good thing they have is 30 for 30
They are still pulling in the big time subscriber fees, which is their lifeblood.

It may be that the market for broadcast all-sports networks is saturated. Perhaps they are all destined for extinction. But if so, ESPN will be the last one standing.

Consider how this board and other Rutgers sports boards have chosen to disassociate with politics.

That is ESPN's failure.. trying to be about MORE than sports... trying to "important".

By every objective measure, the problems BLM and Kapernick protests have never been better. This BLM-mania is out of control and the media constantly reinforcing the idea that it is so horrible to be black in America is exactly the wrong thing the nation needs.

good post. The video was over the top IMO. When the one woman said "do black lives matter to you when they're not throwing touchdowns" I cringed.

Didn’t Kaepernick not even show up to his open tryout?
Let's dispel that myth right here and now.

The leagues was to provide a tryout venue for him, however, they couldn't reach agreement on terms. Something to do with liability I think. Kapernick then held his own tryout at a nearby venue, with eight NFL scouts present. The tryout was livestreamed and sent to every team. Crickets.

They are still pulling in the big time subscriber fees, which is their lifeblood.

It may be that the market for broadcast all-sports networks is saturated. Perhaps they are all destined for extinction. But if so, ESPN will be the last one standing.
I think even if you have the ability to go ala carte with your service provider not sure you can so no to ESPN, as it is usually part of the first package above basic 2-13. And if you get one you’re probably getting a couple with the main channel (ESPN2, ESPNEWS, ESPNU, ESPNdeSportes, etc.).

So yeah, they got you there.

Consider how this board and other Rutgers sports boards have chosen to disassociate with politics.

That is ESPN's failure.. trying to be about MORE than sports... trying to "important".

By every objective measure, the problems BLM and Kapernick protests have never been better. This BLM-mania is out of control and the media constantly reinforcing the idea that it is so horrible to be black in America is exactly the wrong thing the nation needs.
BLM and Kaepernick have been primarily focused on one particular problem - police brutality against African-Americans. By what objective measure has that improved even incrementally?

ADVERTISEMENT