ADVERTISEMENT

OT: The Knicks are fun to watch this year

cm_13

Senior
Gold Member
Aug 28, 2018
With 16 games left to play, the Knicks (the Knicks!) are sitting in 7th place in the East and are just 1.5 games back from 4th place. As a long suffering Knicks fan, this team has been a pleasant surprise and an absolute joy to watch.

In my opinion, the way this team plays also has a lot to offer for people who are not fans of the modern NBA. For folks who find the defensive effort lacking in the NBA, this is a team whose identity is hard nosed team defense, and is winning games despite scoring the 4th fewest PPG in the league. For folks who feel the NBA is being ruined by too many 3 point attempts, this team is winning games despite taking the 3rd fewest 3 point attempts per game. Beyond that, watching Julius Randle emerge as a potential superstar has been a treat. This is a fun team to watch.

Last edited:
With 16 games left to play, the Knicks (the Knicks!) are sitting in 7th place in the East and are just 1.5 games back from 4th place. As a long suffering Knicks fan, this team has been a pleasant surprise and an absolute joy to watch.

In my opinion, the way this team plays also has a lot to offer for people who are not fans of the modern NBA. For folks who find the defensive effort lacking in the NBA, this is a team whose identity is hard nosed team defense, and is winning games despite scoring the 4th fewest PPG in the league. For folks who feel the NBA is being ruined by too many 3 point attempts, this team is winning games despite taking the 3rd fewest 3 point attempts per game. Beyond that, watching Julius Randle emerge as a potential superstar has been a treat. This is a fun team to watch.
I grew up a die hard Knicks fan. Listened to the Knicks - Lakers finals of the early 70s with my transistor radio under my pillow. Then, I lived and died with the Ewing Knicks of the 90s.
The Dolans have ruined the Knicks for me and haven’t watched a single in more than 3 years. It’s hard for me to watch any NBA game any longer.

The Nets are like the Clippers. You might be the sexy pick, but for some reason, the team that identifies with the town (Knicks & Lakers) controls the hearts of most fans and the local media perception.

As a huge Nets fan.....I sadly agree.

But doesn't bother me at all. I've never bothered with "winning NYC".
As a Nets, Mets, Devils fan it is what it is.

Rangers can have "NYC/NJ".
I'll take 3 stanley cups during my lifetime.

Reactions: hiwater
I grew up a die hard Knicks fan. Listened to the Knicks - Lakers finals of the early 70s with my transistor radio under my pillow. Then, I lived and died with the Ewing Knicks of the 90s.
The Dolans have ruined the Knicks for me and haven’t watched a single in more than 3 years. It’s hard for me to watch any NBA game any longer.
Hard to argue with that. James Dolan is one of the biggest assholes on the planet.

I will say - congrats to Obi Toppin.

Starting out with a strong entry in the "CBB POY underwhelming NBA career" narrative.
It's obviously less than 1 year in, but he's been the second best rookie on his own team since game 1.

Obi Toppin's rookie year followed by Luka Garza barely getting drafted is a little funny.

Reactions: cm_13
I also use to love the Knicks in the late 60's and early 70's up until the Ewing, Starks, Oakley years but I cannot stand the NBA now for quite a few years. AS a kid in the late 50's & early 60's I loved the Philadelphia Warriors with Wilt, Paul Arizin, Tom Gola, woody Sauldsberry, Guy Rodgers, Joe Grabowski and had the entire 80 card set of Topps basketball cards from 1957. I wish I still had those but now I only have a Paul Arizin who was my favorite player at the time.

Reactions: mr_wizard_65
Not always a joy to watch but I am following them more closely now. Long term I was not sure it was in their best interests in going for the playoffs this year as another high draft might be better. But the draft is a real crapshoot.

They have bought in to thibs and are a pretty hard nosed team. I am still not sure how many pillars they have to build on but Barrett has improved and I assume they will get something done long term with Randle. Toppin does not look good for a guy who played 4 years and Knox is buried on the bench. IQ looks the a keeper. Unsure about Mitchell Robinson

Under no illusion that this team is going far if they make the playoffs. Hoping Thibs doesn’t burn out several guys due to too many minutes. NY will always be a Knick city. Just wish the long suffering fans could be packing the garden to create a real home court advantage.

Knicks = Crappy Franchise with a Clueless Owner. NBA is a terrible and boring product. Haven't watched in years.

I will say - congrats to Obi Toppin.

Starting out with a strong entry in the "CBB POY underwhelming NBA career" narrative.
It's obviously less than 1 year in, but he's been the second best rookie on his own team since game 1.

Obi Toppin's rookie year followed by Luka Garza barely getting drafted is a little funny.

Obi has obviously disappointed (so far). That being said - he is also sitting behing Randal on the depth chart - so it would be difficult to get any consistent PT for most players in the league at the 4. Also, the "other" rookie on the Knicks you are referring to (Quickly) is currently ranked #3 in NBA Rookie performance rankings.

Nets are a much better team at least when 2 of their older stars manage to find the floor - Durant (injured), Harden (injured) and Irving (sulking).

Reactions: NickRU714
What matters in sports is winning.Basketball has changed dramatically with the shot clock and 3 pointers.Defense is secondary in the NBA,The Knicks are a feel good story bit they have very little chance of competing in the playoffs.The most successful teams have been those with the most super stars as seen with Golden State and the Los Angeles Lakers.The Brooklyn Nets are the latest example.

Obi has obviously disappointed (so far). That being said - he is also sitting behing Randal on the depth chart - so it would be difficult to get any consistent PT for most players in the league at the 4. Also, the "other" rookie on the Knicks you are referring to (Quickly) is currently ranked #3 in NBA Rookie performance rankings.

Nets are a much better team at least when 2 of their older stars manage to find the floor - Durant (injured), Harden (injured) and Irving (sulking).
That's the thing about Toppin, he plays a position similar to Randle so it's hard for him to get consistent minutes. He has shown flashes, but they have been few. Still rooting for him to succeed because I liked watching him in college.

That's the thing about Toppin, he plays a position similar to Randle so it's hard for him to get consistent minutes. He has shown flashes, but they have been few. Still rooting for him to succeed because I liked watching him in college.
The Knicks need to cut back on Randle's minutes. Randle is averaging like 38 minutes while Toppin is lucky to get 10 minutes a game. It's hard to develop when you don't see consistent playing time, and you run the risk of burning Randle out if they make the playoffs.

Last edited:
Knicks = Crappy Franchise with a Clueless Owner. NBA is a terrible and boring product. Haven't watched in years.
I tend to agree that NBA games are not something I normally go out of my way to watch. Between the number of guys resting each game, the lack of defense, the amount of three point shots taken, the constant whining about every foul call and replay stoppages I usually just catch portions of a Knick game

Reactions: RURM85
Ya. Totally boring.
Who wants to see the best of the best do amazing things?

Note - this beat out Steph Curry hitting 11 (yes eleven!) 3s as the top highlight from last night.

The Knicks need to cut back on Randle's minutes. Randle is averaging like 38 minutes while Toppin is lucky to 10 minutes a game. It's hard to develop when you don't see consistent playing time, and you run the process of burning Randle out if they make the playoffs.
Well, this is Thibs we’re talking about

What matters in sports is winning.Basketball has changed dramatically with the shot clock and 3 pointers.Defense is secondary in the NBA,The Knicks are a feel good story bit they have very little chance of competing in the playoffs.The most successful teams have been those with the most super stars as seen with Golden State and the Los Angeles Lakers.The Brooklyn Nets are the latest example.
Agreed, not the recipe for long term success by any measure, or for making much of any type of run in this years playoffs. But it has made for one of the more enjoyable Knicks seasons I’ve seen in a while. With the Knicks, I’ll take what little excitement I can get.

No NBA team is fun to watch. The game has become an absolute joke and unfortunately college basketball is trending that way.

a total waste of incredible talent
I mean, to each their own, but I’ve never had more fun watching basketball than this years Nets team (I’m a nets fan). Watching games in the 80s really highlights how much the game has evolved since then.

I will watch any college game. Heck, it could be Texas-Arlington vs. Northern Arizona. I just can’t stay awake watching the NBA. Could they at least move the 3 point line to the ABA spot? Last entire NBA game I watched was Jordan’s last year with the Bulls. One of my nephews is a fan and he mentions players names and I basically say Who ? I watch a ton of college basketball and never heard of many of these guys.

Reactions: RURM85 and knight82
As a die-hard Nets fan, I can see getting motivated to see the Knicks do well than it has in forever. It's cute. They play hard, will play in post-season (even if 8-10 they are in play-in games). They are built for regular season. Come post-season, they will get crushed. And yet, they still won't get any FAs, and while they got Quickley in Rd 2, they also missed picking Toppin (instead of Haliburton). They have had some player development under Thibs.

This is the Knicks ceiling. Enjoy it.

Reactions: PatrickRU92
I mean, to each their own, but I’ve never had more fun watching basketball than this years Nets team (I’m a nets fan). Watching games in the 80s really highlights how much the game has evolved since then.

Don't bother.
Another thread has resorted to CBB fans saying "The NBA is boring because the players are are too good. They make too many shots."

i.e. Missed baskets is fun? Does that translate to football? 2019 LSU was boring because Burrow completed too many passes? More incompletions!!

Ignore that everytime there is an "exciting" CBB game it's because both teams are going up and down the court making baskets.
See: UCLA-Gonzaga Elite 8 game.

I will watch any college game. Heck, it could be Texas-Arlington vs. Northern Arizona. I just can’t stay awake watching the NBA. Could they at least move the 3 point line to the ABA spot? Last entire NBA game I watched was Jordan’s last year with the Bulls. One of my nephews is a fan and he mentions players names and I basically say Who ? I watch a ton of college basketball and never heard of many of these guys.

That's because the elite level NBA players get the hell out of college after a year or two.

If they are in college long enough to become a "star" or "household name" it's because generally they aren't good enough to star in the NBA.
See: Luka Garza

Don't bother.
Another thread has resorted to CBB fans saying "The NBA is boring because the players are are too good. They make too many shots."

i.e. Missed baskets is fun? Does that translate to football? 2019 LSU was boring because Burrow completed too many passes? More incompletions!!

Ignore that everytime there is an "exciting" CBB game it's because both teams are going up and down the court making baskets.
Watching 26 + foot shots hoisted up every other possession isn’t basketball. Working hard to get a good shot is basketball to me.

The Nets are like the Clippers. You might be the sexy pick, but for some reason, the team that identifies with the town (Knicks & Lakers) controls the hearts of most fans and the local media perception.
nooooo. I live in L.A. and have lived in NJ and there is no comparison.

The Lakers are an actual real storied franchise. The Knicks are garbage--they're the Jets of the NBA (Im a Jet fan btw). The Nets have been far better as a franchise for 2 decades now (nets are 55-32 against the Knicks since the turn of the century) the Clippers were better than the Lakers maybe 3 years since I've lived here (which is now 25 years).

Knicks can get in the playoffs maybe this year. They aren't going anywhere and they are not even remotely close to being a contender. I hope they play the Nets and get that beatdown

nooooo. I live in L.A. and have lived in NJ and there is no comparison.

The Lakers are an actual real storied franchise. The Knicks are garbage--they're the Jets of the NBA (Im a Jet fan btw). The Nets have been far better as a franchise for 2 decades now (nets are 55-32 against the Knicks since the turn of the century) the Clippers were better than the Lakers maybe 3 years since I've lived here (which is now 25 years).

Knicks can get in the playoffs maybe this year. They aren't going anywhere and they are not even remotely close to being a contender. I hope they play the Nets and get that beatdown
There is usually one dominant team in each sport for NY. It doesn't matter if the team is good or not. The media will portray that team as the greatest. For example, the Rangers is the team the media loves, but I think the Islanders and the Devils have had more success (Stanley Cups). Still, both will never get the attention or love from the media, which shapes perceptions. The same can be said for the Knicks. The Knicks is one of the original NBA teams. The Knicks may have won only 2 titles 50 years ago, but the Nets haven't won one. The ABA doesn't count. The Knicks have several Hall-of-Famers and top 50 all-time greats. The Nets best player (Dr. J) is associated more with the 76ers. I agree with you the Nets are the better team, but you can't erase decades of perception just because you've been more successful for a few years.

Don't bother.

It's basically the same argument that people make reminiscing about how the country was with 1950's type of manufacturing. Everything evolves, including sports. Some people just can't appreciate any positives of that evolution and look to pick apart the "change" they are resistant to. Reminds me of a guy we used to call "Days Gone By" in HS. He would come by our baseball practices and only talk about how great things used to be.

As a die-hard Nets fan, I can see getting motivated to see the Knicks do well than it has in forever. It's cute. They play hard, will play in post-season (even if 8-10 they are in play-in games). They are built for regular season. Come post-season, they will get crushed. And yet, they still won't get any FAs, and while they got Quickley in Rd 2, they also missed picking Toppin (instead of Haliburton). They have had some player development under Thibs.

This is the Knicks ceiling. Enjoy it.

Congrats and Enjoy the Nets this season and next. The issue with the Nets is that they need to win either this year or next and then the run is done. They are severely capped out and have traded much of their draft capital away. They will be over the NBA Salary Cap "Apron" through the 2022-23 Season with basically just 5 players who will all be in their early to mid 30's. Being over the apron means they will not have much flexibility to trade nor the ability to bring in any free agents except for those willing to come for the vet minimum. They will have a very late first round pick in 2021.....after that, they may not own the rights to their own first round pick until 2028 due to the Harden trade.......none in 2022, likely late in 2023 (Rockets swap), none in 2024, likely late in 2025 (Rockets swap), none in 2026, likely late in 2027 (Rockets swap).

PS.....Quickly was a 1st round pick and Haliburton plays no defense which would not be the a great fit for Thibs who demands two way players. Toppin might have been a miss - but still too soon to tell.

Reactions: cm_13
There is usually one dominant team in each sport for NY. It doesn't matter if the team is good or not. The media will portray that team as the greatest. For example, the Rangers is the team the media loves, but I think the Islanders and the Devils have had more success (Stanley Cups). Still, both will never get the attention or love from the media, which shapes perceptions. The same can be said for the Knicks. The Knicks is one of the original NBA teams. The Knicks may have won only 2 titles 50 years ago, but the Nets haven't won one. The ABA doesn't count. The Knicks have several Hall-of-Famers and top 50 all-time greats. The Nets best player (Dr. J) is associated more with the 76ers. I agree with you the Nets are the better team, but you can't erase decades of perception just because you've been more successful for a few years.
Dominant how ? The fan base?

I could care less. The Knicks fans for 2 years on twitter have endlessly been touting how many more fans they have. That's because because they have nothing else. They assumed KD, Kyrie and Zion were all coming to save them and when the Nets pulled the carpet out from under them they needed something else to hang their hats on.

Knicks have more fans, whoop de damn doo. Nets are winners, Knicks are losers. Any sports fan knows that's all that matters.

I could care less. The Knicks fans for 2 years on twitter have endlessly been touting how many more fans they have. That's because because they have nothing else. They assumed KD, Kyrie and Zion were all coming to save them and when the Nets pulled the carpet out from under them they needed something else to hang their hats on.

Knicks have more fans, whoop de damn doo. Nets are winners, Knicks are losers. Any sports fan knows that's all that matters.
Dominant in perception. Also, Dolan is an *sshole even if you're not a Knicks fan. That played a role in the Knicks struggling to get any free agent of importance to look their way. The Knicks deserve their struggles because of Dolan. As for winners and losers, if you ain't winning championships, then you can't claim to be a winner. Fans can feel good about records, but I bet the players are not happy if a 'chip isn't a part of the deal.

Btw, if you're in L.A., why the hell are you us so early? 😁

Dominant in perception. Also, Dolan is an *sshole even if you're not a Knicks fan. That played a role in the Knicks struggling to get any free agent of importance to look their way. The Knicks deserve their struggles because of Dolan. As for winners and losers, if you ain't winning championships, then you can't claim to be a winner. Fans can feel good about records, but I bet the players are not happy if a 'chip isn't a part of the deal.

Btw, if you're in L.A., why the hell are you us so early? 😁

got a busy job! have to get up early! (having my coffee reading the RU boards)

Dolan is THE big problem, he's the Hess of the Knicks. They aren't winning with him in charge and he's the reason why FAs aren't really interested either.

Will agree with you the Nets need to win a championship but I like our chances if the injury bug doesn't bite us. And still gonna tout 55-32. Any team would be happy with that record.

The NBA is predictable and vanilla - Everybody is playing the same way, and it's been like that for years. You could watch the last 5 minutes of a game and gleam all the information you need to understand what's happening. I left off watching when every team played isolation ball, play after play where the best player would score from the outside or by driving, more often than not. Reading articles of today's game every team is putting the ball into its best ball handler or shooter’s hands and he’s either going to draw a foul, he’s gonna get a clean look at a three, or he’s going to drive inside and then kick it for a clean look for three. There's no physicality in the NBA game so nobody has to run plays and sets to create open shots. Every game looks the same which creates a boring product.

College Ball may be imperfect as players are at different development stages, however, you get everything. You can watch beautifully played games such as UCLA - Alabama and UCLA - Gonzaga. You can watch low scoring rock fights, sometimes due to kids still playing defense and sometimes due to players unable to put the ball in the bucket. You can still watch games won by physical battles of Centers playing in the post. You can watch up-tempo, transition teams and you can watch slow tempo teams such as Wisconsin and Houston. In other words, there's variety and unpredictability in the game.

While the Knicks have certainly not been winners since 1973. Just curious what the Nets have won?

If you want to base it on this year - the Nets are currently 2nd in the Eastern Conference Playoff Standing and the Knicks are 6th. Both would make the playoffs - not sure how that equates to "losers".

If you want to base it on recent years - Knicks have sucked and Nets have been slightly better - hardly equating to "winners"

got a busy job! have to get up early! (having my coffee reading the RU boards)

Dolan is THE big problem, he's the Hess of the Knicks. They aren't winning with him in charge and he's the reason why FAs aren't really interested either.

Will agree with you the Nets need to win a championship but I like our chances if the injury bug doesn't bite us. And still gonna tout 55-32. Any team would be happy with that record.

You're just spouting media & sports radio talking points. Dolan is certainly an entitled spoiled d1ckhead....but really not much different from most other owners. He has always been willing to spend money. His problem has been that he let incompetent Isiah Thomas have too much influence for too long in personnel decisions and to remedy that, he created more problems by hiring incompetent Phil Jackson - a coach with no front office experience to lead the franchise personnel decisions. With Leon Rose - he seem to have finally righted the ship.

While the Knicks have certainly not been winners since 1973. Just curious what the Nets have won?

If you want to base it on this year - the Nets are currently 2nd in the Eastern Conference Playoff Standing and the Knicks are 6th. Both would make the playoffs - not sure how that equates to "losers".

If you want to base it on recent years - Knicks have sucked and Nets have been slightly better - hardly equating to "winners"

You're just spouting media & sports radio talking points. Dolan is certainly an entitled spoiled d1ckhead....but really not much different from most other owners. He has always been willing to spend money. His problem has been that he let incompetent Isiah Thomas have too much influence for too long in personnel decisions and to remedy that, he created more problems by hiring incompetent Phil Jackson - a coach with no front office experience to lead the franchise personnel decisions. With Leon Rose - he seem to have finally righted the ship.
Good post. He always spent money, just never wisely. Phil Jackson should be forced to refund every last penny he was paid.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT