ADVERTISEMENT

OT: the NBA has to move the 3 point line back

kennyschiano

All Conference
Gold Member
May 12, 2005
when 7 footers like Durant can shoot 3s and the game is all about 3s it means it's time for the NBA to move the line back to where it was back in the 80s. The cavs hit 24 3s last night! These guys are just too tall and too good for the current line.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
It's interesting that in the not too distant past, people complained about how NBA players lacked skills compared to earlier eras. All the "get off my lawn" people complained about how Michael Jordan had influenced a generation of players who never learned shooting and fundamentals because all they wanted to do was dunk.

Fast forward more than 2 decades and the "get off my lawn" people are now complaining that Steph Curry is a bad influence because he's influencing a generation of players who want to shoot long jumpers instead of posting up.

In the 90s people complained that the game was too physical and low-scoring, now they're complaining that there's too much scoring and it's not physical enough.

There's just no pleasing some people, though I think that the larger issue is that people who complain about the NBA's quality of play are usually people who don't actually watch or understand the game. That's why a lot of the criticism is usually ignorant.

Moving the line back isn't going to affect most of the better shooters in the NBA. Durant and Curry would be close to 40% 3 point shooters or better even if the line was moved back. How many times have you seen them pull up and drain 35 foot jumpers?

I would prefer no 3 point line.
No 3 point line ?
This is what you'll see:
giphy.gif

serge-ibaka-missed-dunk.gif

when 7 footers like Durant can shoot 3s and the game is all about 3s it means it's time for the NBA to move the line back to where it was back in the 80s. The cavs hit 24 3s last night! These guys are just too tall and too good for the current line.
It's the same 23'9" as the 80s. But yeah evolution. It's like a layup for these guys. Move it back.

Reactions: RUinOhio
The rim needs to be raised at least 6 inches. And the court Needs to be be 10feet longer. . The game was created when players were much smalller . The athletes today are much bigger, and very much better athletes.

Unfortunately, this will never happen.

The rim needs to be raised at least 6 inches. And the court Needs to be be 10feet longer. . The game was created when players were much smalller . The athletes today are much bigger, and very much better athletes.

Unfortunately, this will never happen.

They should play on a football field and the rims should be 15 feet high.

That should do it.

Same length it's always been. There was a short period in 90s when they shortened it but then quickly moved it back. Agree that the game has gone too much in the other direction. Enforcement of rules disproportionately benefits offense. They need to start calling more carrying the ball and stop with this ridiculous continuation calls.

With all this said, I also agree that the quality of long range shooting in this league is better than it has ever been. Back in the 80s, most players were given 5 ft of space at the 3 point line (except Bird and a handful of others). These days, you can't leave anybody open...

I hate the 3 point line and a 24 second shot clock.

I do think teams will adjust and defend the line better.

I have not watched a second of playoff basketball and am shocked by the high scoring games.

Maybe it's effort or maybe the shooting is out of this world.

The defenses are behind the offense right now

Teams need to hedge so much better then they currently do to stop the fast ball movement leading to a lot of WIDE open looks

I hate the 3 point line and a 24 second shot clock.

I do think teams will adjust and defend the line better.

I have not watched a second of playoff basketball and am shocked by the high scoring games.

Maybe it's effort or maybe the shooting is out of this world.

Not an effort issue in the playoffs. There are flying all over the place. Quality of shooting is that good and officiating let's everybody carry, which makes it impossible to guard anybody

One reason (other than their offense) that the Warriors have been so good is their defense. They've been one of the best defensive teams in the NBA over the last 3 years. Most NBA teams do things defensively that college players can't even understand. If RU defended even half as well as the Warriors do, they'd be winning 20 games every year. Draymond Green is one of the 2 best defensive players in the NBA. Offense in the NBA is on a totally different level. Guys like James, Durant, and Curry are going to get 30 against good defense. They're that skilled.

The issue is not three point lines or posting up players or easy layups. It comes down the creative GMs and coaches that can evolve and adjust their teams to win by creating matchup problems in different ways along with players having a team first mentality.

The Warriors tried the "big man" route and just never were able to build a team in that way. When Curry came along, followed by Klay, they realized they may be able to play the game different and evolved the team into a shooting one. They also got rid of cancerous players and focused on players that put team over individual stats.

What may the next evolution of yesterdays Celtics, Lakers, Bulls, Spurs, or Heat or todays Warriors or Cavs looks like? I don't know, but two places I would peak --- the Celitics, Jazz and Bucks. Those teams are assembling a pretty good nucleus of young players. The challenge will be to continue to augment their core while still keeping everyone in a team first mentality. Not easy to do with kids today given the number of kids brought up with the mentality "but mommy/daddy said I am the star".

The refereeing in the NBA is the problem.

That b.s. with the changing of the tech foul on Green was one of the most ridiculous calls in ever made in pro sports.

The NBA should be ashamed.

Watched a few possessions. Defense non existent. No defensive rotations off the ball and guys can't stay in front of their men.

Also a few questionable screens. With guys able to do so much offensively the refs have to clean up illegal screens, traveling, double dribbles etc.

Watched a few possessions. Defense non existent. No defensive rotations off the ball and guys can't stay in front of their men.

Also a few questionable screens. With guys able to do so much offensively the refs have to clean up illegal screens, traveling, double dribbles etc.

you can't rotate because then your man is left wide open for 3. in theory you should stop the easy 2 but the 3 is so easy that it's not worth it anymore.

illegal screening is definitely a problem.

MLB should take a page from this discussion:
1. Make the DH universal (people love offense)
2. If they're going to move the 3 point line back, why not create a 4 / 5 point line? While we're at it, give extra runs for longer HR's (e.g. 1 run for <450 ft,; 2 runs for > 451 feet + whoever is on base

MO

ADVERTISEMENT