ADVERTISEMENT

OT: The nightmare of what the transfer portal is doing to some teams

cubuffsdoug

Heisman Winner
Apr 8, 2002
I just read two articles about Brenden Rice, son of Jerry Rice, and how he transferred from Colorado to USC. First, there is no such thing as loyalty anymore. The transfer portal will destroy football for some programs. Basically, Rice put his name in the portal to see who would contact him. If he didn't like what he heard, then it's back to CU. Once Lincoln Riley contacted Rice, 15 minutes after he entered the portal, Rice made the decision to transfer. The original school never had a chance. My fear is Rutgers will, at times, suffer a similar fate.

https://thespun.com/more/top-storie...fhNmPLFOOTefGeJcKwBG7y3jZ_lj82AOM19xPGlUqsuDU

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nc...-pounced-on-portal-wr-brenden-rice/ar-AAVpMT2

It's definitely the wild west, very shocked that there hasn't been restrictions put on it and that they aren't looking to regulate it. With NIL, it really becomes a type of free agency with no strings attached.

Reactions: SBP and RUScrew85
Recruit kids who fit at your school - not just the football team. They’ll be more likely to stay.
Easier said than done. Most kids being recruited are not selecting schools because the campus is great or the student body is off the charts, or the professors are top-notch. That is secondary. The kids are spending most of their time with the coaches and players, so that is who they bond with and base their decisions on.

I just read two articles about Brenden Rice, son of Jerry Rice, and how he transferred from Colorado to USC. First, there is no such thing as loyalty anymore. The transfer portal will destroy football for some programs. Basically, Rice put his name in the portal to see who would contact him. If he didn't like what he heard, then it's back to CU. Once Lincoln Riley contacted Rice, 15 minutes after he entered the portal, Rice made the decision to transfer. The original school never had a chance. My fear is Rutgers will, at times, suffer a similar fate.

https://thespun.com/more/top-storie...fhNmPLFOOTefGeJcKwBG7y3jZ_lj82AOM19xPGlUqsuDU

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nc...-pounced-on-portal-wr-brenden-rice/ar-AAVpMT2
It's all Mel Tucker's fault on the loyalty.

Here are Brenden's comments when he committed to CU in 2019:

""Colorado was the pick for me because of the environment I felt out there; it's different," Rice told 247Sports. "I see what coach Mel Tucker's vision is and I have a vision for myself, and I want to be a part of building that program up and what he's doing there."

If coaches are not loyal, why should players be loyal?

As far as Rutgers, so long as recruits buy into Greg's culture and Greg stays here, I don't see the same thing happening unless Greg leaves, or once in a while a really fantastic player may choose to leave for greener pastures.

As predicted by some here.

And it's going to get worse.

Yes we will be affected. If a kid doesn’t think he’s playing enough, into the portal he goes.

Easier said than done. Most kids being recruited are not selecting schools because the campus is great or the student body is off the charts, or the professors are top-notch. That is secondary. The kids are spending most of their time with the coaches and players, so that is who they bond with and base their decisions on.

I fully appreciate that that is how it’s been for decades but it’s a totally different world with the new transfer rules. Kids’ values and what they value are different from our day. A player who loves his entire college experience is less likely to leave than one who loves his team but is a fish out of water in the classroom or at the school. The old transfer rules used to be something of a barrier to an unhappy kid transferring out.

Doug, It's hard to believe that #10 is in his 50's already.Where did the time go.? Wonderful to know that once an RU man always an RU man.

• Haha
Reactions: cubuffsdoug
I fully appreciate that that is how it’s been for decades but it’s a totally different world with the new transfer rules. Kids’ values and what they value are different from our day. A player who loves his entire college experience is less likely to leave than one who loves his team but is a fish out of water in the classroom or at the school. The old transfer rules used to be something of a barrier to an unhappy kid transferring out.
The creation of the NIL and the transfer portal has trampled values. It's about being a free agent. Developing loyalty to teammates, coaches, or the school is harder to achieve. Geo and Ron may be the exception to the rule these days.

Reactions: RUScrew85
Doug, It's hard to believe that #10 is in his 50's already.Where did the time go.? Wonderful to know that once an RU man always an RU man.
Recently, I watched an old video of the Syracuse game up in the dome from the early 90s. My daughter asked who that guy (#10) and I said it was me. She said he looks and moves nothing like you. Talk about a reality check.😥

Recently, I watched an old video of the Syracuse game up in the dome from the early 90s. My daughter asked who that guy (#10) and I said it was me. She said he looks and moves nothing like you. Talk about a reality check.😥

Ouch. LOL.

Reactions: cubuffsdoug
I think the NCAA was talking about a change in the transfer rule. You'll get one free transfer without sitting out, and if you transfer again, you sit one year.
They should also haves ie thing like if head coach leaves, you must sit out a year to play for him as well.

The portal is great for college football players. It takes a lot of power away from coaches and gives kids the opportunity to improve their situation. Now the grass isn’t always green and kids will make plenty of mistakes. Loyalty in college sports is now earned as it was forced in the past. you have to treat players well and help them improve or else you lose them. Seems fair.

The portal is great for college football players. It takes a lot of power away from coaches and gives kids the opportunity to improve their situation. Now the grass isn’t always green and kids will make plenty of mistakes. Loyalty in college sports is now earned as it was forced in the past. you have to treat players well and help them improve or else you lose them. Seems fair.
True. But don't forget to include Fan Loyalty into the equation. IF this is a semi-pro free for all then treating these players as just some sweet ol college kids who are immune to criticism isn't going to fly.
I'm sure sometime soon there will be a player who plays for 4 different schools over 4 years. I just wish there were some guardrails in the system. That includes coaches too.

True. But don't forget to include Fan Loyalty into the equation. IF this is a semi-pro free for all then treating these players as just some sweet ol college kids who are immune to criticism isn't going to fly.
I'm sure sometime soon there will be a player who plays for 4 different schools over 4 years. I just wish there were some guardrails in the system. That includes coaches too.
I just think fan loyalty is to the school, not the player. Good coaches will find ways to keep 99% of their players. Guardrails would be nice but just don’t see how the ncaa will be allowed to do anything. They have lost all control and suck at managing their sports.

The NCAA could have taken steps loooong ago to control this whole situation but they ignored the problem. Now it's a free for all. That's what happens when you have poor leader after poor leader.

You’ll never really know anymore because once money enters the picture it changes everything, and that my friends is the tech tip of the day.
This x 1000. Those with the Gold will get the best players in the portal. Alabama and a handful of other schools can cherry pick the best players at each position from everyone else.

Can you blame a kid for transferring when he can make 100K+ per season playing for a blue blood program and play for a natty?

I would suggest that a recruit being contacted 15 minutes after he enters the portal has nothing to do with the Transfer Portal.

Most likely the kid (or someone connected to him) had already made HC Riley aware of the situation in advance.
Or the USC AD has the most efficient process in the world to identify that he entered the portal and have HC Riley conveniently available to call him within 15 minutes.

However the Transfer Portal is 100% to blame. Sure. I mean, nobody went from school to school to school prior to the Transfer Portal.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Savage_(American_football)

And what exactly is the complaint?
A kid was looking to transfer and the Transfer Portal made it immediately available to all prospective schools?
How is that a problem.

If a kid wants to transfer, maybe he should have to post an advertisement in the local newspapers to notify people?
It's kids transfer that appears to be the "problem" (which I don't think it is) and not the efficiency of the system.

Reactions: rutgersfan1766
I would suggest that a recruit being contacted 15 minutes after he enters the portal has nothing to do with the Transfer Portal.

Most likely the kid (or someone connected to him) had already made HC Riley aware of the situation in advance.
Or the USC AD has the most efficient process in the world to identify that he entered the portal and have HC Riley conveniently available to call him within 15 minutes.

However the Transfer Portal is 100% to blame. Sure. I mean, nobody went from school to school to school prior to the Transfer Portal.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Savage_(American_football)
Agree. The transfer portal has revealed the underbelly of college sports. The evil that lives just below the surface is now public. You can't call it tampering because NCAA has no bite or the will to face the problem.

Agree. The transfer portal has revealed the underbelly of college sports. The evil that lives just below the surface is now public. You can't call it tampering because NCAA has no bite or the will to face the problem.

When did the NCAA "has no bite" or care to enforce rules really begin?
Might be a topic for a different thread.
I'm younger and didn't really follow college sports until attending Rutgers.

I know the SMU thing in the 80s. Was that just "too big to ignore"?
But then they did nothing with Miami and everything going on there and just spiraled further.

Why are people so worked up about a filtered database? Don't people use databases/CRM at their workplace? You guys are something...

I think the transfer portal is great. Makes it easy to see what players in each sport are interested in transferring.

When did the NCAA "has no bite" or care to enforce rules really begin?
Might be a topic for a different thread.
I'm younger and didn't really follow college sports until attending Rutgers.

I know the SMU thing in the 80s. Was that just "too big to ignore"?
But then they did nothing with Miami and everything going on there and just spiraled further.
If you can't beat them, then join them.

The NCAA would go after schools with more vigor back in the day. The NCAA now regrets what it did to the SMU program as it has never recovered from the death penalty. That is why the NCAA has a gentle approach these days. How else do you explain how the NCAA walked back Penn State's punishment?

I think the portal is fine as long as there is a non-compete added. You can transfer freely, but not to a team in the same conference or one that’s on the schedule in the next 4-years of the team you were on. I think that would take a lot of hurt out of the fans, alumni and donors, keep the players freedom, like others said you can’t force them to stay if a coach leaves

I think the portal is fine as long as there is a non-compete added. You can transfer freely, but not to a team in the same conference or one that’s on the schedule in the next 4-years of the team you were on. I think that would take a lot of hurt out of the fans, alumni and donors, keep the players freedom, like others said you can’t force them to stay if a coach leaves

Why should the opinions of fans, alumni, donors matter to someone making the best life decision for them?

It would be like you going to your town mayor to ask for incentive to stay in the town.... Your free to move wherever you want if you find it's no longer a match.

It's definitely the wild west, very shocked that there hasn't been restrictions put on it and that they aren't looking to regulate it. With NIL, it really becomes a type of free agency with no strings attached.
I think what this is revealing is that the NCAA.. the organizational structure.. the people working there... fear being eliminated... fear losing their gigs.

You got athletes wanting to be paid, wanting the right to transfer.. the big-time programs largely controlling their conferences, and those conferences always chatting up a separation from the NCAA.. so the NCAA folds on issue after issue that the big-time schools want.

The NCAA BBALL tourney is the money maker for the organization... if the big-time schools left and took their conferences with them.. the money disappear.. the perks disappear.

Reactions: Knightmoves
They'll look to regulate it when teams outside of the Blueblood bubble start winning championships.

Reactions: Knightmoves
What we have here fellas is similar to a car auction the big boys with the money get to look under the hood and have a handshake deal before the lower tier schools even get a chance to bid , as my grand papi used to say… The Rich will only Get Richer…

ADVERTISEMENT