ADVERTISEMENT

OT: The nightmare of what the transfer portal is doing to some teams

I think the NCAA was talking about a change in the transfer rule. You'll get one free transfer without sitting out, and if you transfer again, you sit one year.
The NCAA one free transfer rule above has been in effect for the past year. Hopefully the NCAA won't decide to relax the rules even more anytime soon, to make it easier for athletes to transfer more than once.

In rare situations an athlete can get a waiver to also play immediately after his second transfer and not sit a year, but waivers are only granted for the following situations:

Per current NCAA guidelines:

"In order to compete immediately after a second transfer, a student must meet either the current education-impacting disability guideline or an updated guideline that addresses a ā€œreal and imminent health and safetyā€ threat.

The disability guideline requires the transferring student to provide documentation showing that the student-athlete needs support services and/or treatment that was unavailable or inadequate at the previous school but available at the school to which they are transferring.

The health and safety guideline requires schools to provide timely, objective documentation demonstrating that the transfer was due to unique, extenuating and extraordinary circumstances outside the studentā€™s control and caused by an imminent threat to the studentā€™s health or safety."

True. But don't forget to include Fan Loyalty into the equation. IF this is a semi-pro free for all then treating these players as just some sweet ol college kids who are immune to criticism isn't going to fly.
I'm sure sometime soon there will be a player who plays for 4 different schools over 4 years. I just wish there were some guardrails in the system. That includes coaches too.
Based on the coaches pay, its pro ball.

Reactions: DennisHajekRC84
Based on the coaches pay, its pro ball.
and college education, room, board, high-level health care, training, facilities.. worth zero?

those that can go straight to the NBA often do... they are getting trained to maybe make a big payday. And any of them can take the same path the highly-paid coaches did to become highly-paid coaches.

We do not need to pay college athletes. Let them all go start their own professional leagues if it is money they seek., Allow colleges to continue to compete using amateur athletes and all will be fine.

Reactions: DennisHajekRC84
and college education, room, board, high-level health care, training, facilities.. worth zero?

those that can go straight to the NBA often do... they are getting trained to maybe make a big payday. And any of them can take the same path the highly-paid coaches did to become highly-paid coaches.

We do not need to pay college athletes. Let them all go start their own professional leagues if it is money they seek., Allow colleges to continue to compete using amateur athletes and all will be fine.
Tell That to the schools that are making money from all the TV contracts. Donā€™t put the games on TV and youā€™ll get the amateur status back.

When did the NCAA "has no bite" or care to enforce rules really begin?
Might be a topic for a different thread.
I'm younger and didn't really follow college sports until attending Rutgers.

I know the SMU thing in the 80s. Was that just "too big to ignore"?
But then they did nothing with Miami and everything going on there and just spiraled further.
If I recall correctly, the evidence they had against Shapiro and Miami was substantive but they screwed up the manner in which it was gathered and processed and thus could not use most of it to enforce a penalty. Incompetence at the highest levels. Besides the NCAA is just a puppet of the major schools who chose to stay under its umbrella. Several have hinted of going off on their own if things became too stringent. This will likely still happen at some point.

They only way I see things changing is if the university presidents decide they have had enough of essentially being the NFL developmental league. Yes the movement of college coaches is an effective rebuttal against any change that limits student movement and this past offseason did nothing to minimize the point. However if you try to look at the bigger picture and determine what is good for the overall health of the sport the current trends are unsustainable without some major casualties. Certainly this goes well beyond just football.

Tell That to the schools that are making money from all the TV contracts. Donā€™t put the games on TV and youā€™ll get the amateur status back.
That is an insane take. Atheltic programs (all sports) takes money as to facilities. That money comes from TV for football and basketball but is spent everywhere. Most schools LOSE MONEY on sports.. you can say they make millions.. but they SPEND those millions and more.

NIL and paying athletes will kill the golden goose that allows so many young people to attend college on scholarship while also pursuing their athletic interests.

As someone else said.. the rich will get richer.. and that is because they make the rules. In the end, there will be an NFL-sized superconference of teams that can afford to pay athletes and even they don't offer as many sports as they could because they pile their money into 2 sports.

Eventually, only elite athletes will get paid and only elite programs will compete. And when that happens, you will not recognize college sports.

Only 13 different teams have made the CFP college football playoffs. While the NCAA Tourney is about cinderellas like Saint Peters showing what they can do, soon the best players who were overlooked in HS recruiting will just transfer out.. some to the highest bidders.. and we'll see the AQs from lesser conferences become non-competitive.. and that might happen within conferences as well as the better players will collect themselves in the "name" programs that can offer the most money/exposure. Yeah.. that happens now with blue-chip recruits... but the blue-chip busts will be moved aside for the overlooked.

This ain't good for anyone.. except the few athletes who can cash in.

Last edited:
That is an insane take. Atheltic programs (all sports) takes money as to facilities. That money comes from TV for football and basketball but is spent everywhere. Most schools LOSE MONEY on sports.. you can say they make millions.. but they SPEND those millions and more.

NIL and paying athletes will kill the golden goose that allows so many young people to attend college on scholarship while also pursuing their athletic interests.

As someone else said.. the rich will get richer.. and that is because they make the rules.
we are in the B1G. A lot of schools can say we are part of the Rich. Itā€™s all relative.

When did the NCAA "has no bite" or care to enforce rules really begin?
Might be a topic for a different thread.
I'm younger and didn't really follow college sports until attending Rutgers.

I know the SMU thing in the 80s. Was that just "too big to ignore"?
But then they did nothing with Miami and everything going on there and just spiraled further.
Part of reason that the NCAA landed all over SMU was that they were stealing elite recruits from the bluebloods, and the bluebloods complained to the NCAA about it. After they gave SMU the Death Penalty and effectively destroyed the program for about 2 decades, the NCAA was reluctant to really punish anyone else that severely.

Reactions: NickRU714
To me, it's more about going to a school that gives them the best shot at a NIL contract. Eliminate that outrageous rule, and I'd bet you'd eliminate 60% of the transfers.

we are in the B1G. A lot of schools can say we are part of the Rich. Itā€™s all relative.
but we are not.. it costs more than we have to compete in the B1G. We don't have a lot of extra dollars to pay for new "entitlements".

I look at it this way...

For many decades when the "name" programs were making their names.. sure, they cheated.. and once they had their names the names attracted many many recruits... they had top talent stacked deep... what did recruits know? Programs could take.. what was it, 105 schollies if they could pay for it? Most programs could not. That is how the name programs STAYED name programs. Built the long lists of donors and season-ticket holder rights bidders

DEPTH.

Then the NCAA.. in amove that actually INCREASED competition.. they put in an 85 schollie limit across 4 years... no more than 25 in a class.

That spread the talent a bit. And the name programs still cheated.. brown bag payoffs.. grey shirts.. stocking talent at JCs, prep schools.. just in case they needed them.

But that was not enough. The internet, recruiting services, made knowledge of top talent easier to acquire.. as could offers of schollies.

What did the name programs do?

Take Bama... they went outside the Bear Bryant coaching tree and paid big money for a coach who had won national championships.

Michigan stayed within the family and hired an NFL coach.

Notre Dame dried for Urban Meyer.. but Ohio State got him (and alum, iirc).

Then we start hearing about paying the athletes. And ESPN and their buddies the SEC LOVE THAT IDEA. NIL was a way to get that done... TRANSFER RULE - FREEDOM OF OPPORTUNITY!

But all it really does is give the name programs another angle to work. Now the lesser programs can stockpile and train talent for them.. 85 schollie limit be damned.. they have potential players at 100 schools.

Do you guys not see that story arc?

That is what is happening here.

Reactions: zoby
Agree. The transfer portal has revealed the underbelly of college sports. The evil that lives just below the surface is now public. You can't call it tampering because NCAA has no bite or the will to face the problem.
The transfer portal has revealed tampering? That's the big issue here?

I just read two articles about Brenden Rice, son of Jerry Rice, and how he transferred from Colorado to USC. First, there is no such thing as loyalty anymore. The transfer portal will destroy football for some programs. Basically, Rice put his name in the portal to see who would contact him. If he didn't like what he heard, then it's back to CU. Once Lincoln Riley contacted Rice, 15 minutes after he entered the portal, Rice made the decision to transfer. The original school never had a chance. My fear is Rutgers will, at times, suffer a similar fate.

https://thespun.com/more/top-storie...fhNmPLFOOTefGeJcKwBG7y3jZ_lj82AOM19xPGlUqsuDU

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nc...-pounced-on-portal-wr-brenden-rice/ar-AAVpMT2
If you are a prized destination school like Ohio State or Alabama, why even bother giving out 20 scholarships to freshman? Just wait for other schools to develop players and then transfer them in as Jrs and Srs. You could have an entire roster of 20+ year olds, like a semi-pro team. Honestly, what's stopping that?

Reactions: RUfinally2008
For better or worse, the portal is here to stay, mostly due to coaches having the freedom to jump from team to team, and players came to the realization that they should be afforded those same rights if they don't like their situation at their current school.

There is a big difference from
32 NFL teams/53 man roster, 1696 jobs
There is only a handful of job openings each year
250 or so draft picks, plus UDFAs, each year doesn't guarantee a job.

130 FBS/85 scholarships, 11,050 student athletes.
Good % of those players might make hustle money to get by for their NIL.

NIL has always existed, it is more out in the open and legal, now.

Last edited:
If you are a prized destination school like Ohio State or Alabama, why even bother giving out 20 scholarships to freshman? Just wait for other schools to develop players and then transfer them in as Jrs and Srs. You could have an entire roster of 20+ year olds, like a semi-pro team. Honestly, what's stopping that?
I'm thinking Saban would rather develop the players in his program, rather having that player develop elsewhere.

Not to mention he get's plenty of underclassman who are solid contributors if not impact players.

In general I don't think Saban is looking to reinvent the wheel at this point. His current system has worked pretty well. Sure take advantage when it makes sense, but not recruiting players out of HS? That's pretty far out there.

I could see this in basketball.

The NCAA would go after schools with more vigor back in the day. The NCAA now regrets what it did to the SMU program as it has never recovered from the death penalty.
Iā€™d agree to the point that the NCAA did not realize the impact of the SMU actions.
That is why the NCAA has a gentle approach these days.
I disagree that is a reason for the less vigor. Iā€™d say it has more to do with what specific schools were going to be investigated.
How else do you explain how the NCAA walked back Penn State's punishment?
To keep it simple, they werenā€™t based on infractions of NCAA rules, and letā€™s just say who knows what would have been exposed in a lawsuit that wasnā€™t going their way.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT