ADVERTISEMENT

OT: The Open 2018. Who you got?

WhiteBus

Hall of Famer
Oct 4, 2011
So I start this thread because The Scottish Open has become such a big deal in the last 10 years or so. Has become a most play for the Americans. Now on live in the US on NBC, not the Golf Channel. Fowler is playing great. A nice run to the Open.
Who you got to win the Claret Jug at Carnoustie?
Love early morning sports. World Cup, Tour de France, The Open, Wimbledon. July is an awesome international sports month!

I would be much more interested in an Open Scotch, er, a Scotch Open.

So I start this thread because The Scottish Open has become such a big deal in the last 10 years or so. Has become a most play for the Americans. Now on live in the US on NBC, not the Golf Channel. Fowler is playing great. A nice run to the Open.
Who you got to win the Claret Jug at Carnoustie?
Love early morning sports. World Cup, Tour de France, The Open, Wimbledon. July is an awesome international sports month!
Roy McAvoy or David Simms will win, no doubt.

Think this is the week Fleetwood breaks through. Justin Rose has to be a favorite too with the way he's been playing.

Brandon Stone comes out of no where and shots a 10 under 60 to win the Scottish Open and punch his ticket to The Open.
Had 2 tries to get to 59 which has never happened on the European Tour. Long putt on 17. Makeable on 18.

Brandon Stone comes out of no where and shots a 10 under 60 to win the Scottish Open and punch his ticket to The Open.
Had 2 tries to get to 59 which has never happened on the European Tour. Long putt on 17. Makeable on 18.

Was thinking he was going to sink that one on 18. Amazing round. Agree on July international sporting events in the morning, especially this year with the World Cup thrown in.

No idea who's going to win, but it's been quite awhile since an Englishman won, so I'll go with Justin Rose (Fleetwood has been the pick of many). And the dry conditions that most of Ireland/England/Scotland have seen this summer are expected to continue through the tournament, with maybe a few showers, at most, on Friday (no major rain expected). Snedeker hit a 400-yard drive in practice...

Watching the replay of the Tour de France today. Featuring the ride with coblestones I knew with the Cup Final and working had no chance watching both. This stage isn't dissapointing at all. Tough, spills and a very important flat ride for everyone. Favors no one.
As for the Open and who is going to win I have no clue. Usually have an idea who is in form and ready to bust out. Not this year. Thinking it will be a great mix if favorites and first timers. Should be great.

Do the super dry conditions help the shorter hitters? I'll go with Fleetwood, Molinari, or Zach Johnson.

Do the super dry conditions help the shorter hitters? I'll go with Fleetwood, Molinari, or Zach Johnson.
Dry conditions can make it harder on all players. Yes the ball travels father but sometimes won't stop until it finds trouble. Harder to control.
Im playing today at Foresgate Country Club. Dry conditions won't be my problem, high humidity followed by storms ugh.

Francisco Molinari looked strong at the John Deere last week. But it’s hard to say who will play well at Carnoustie this week. So many top players there who could have a good week.

Francisco Molinari looked strong at the John Deere last week. But it’s hard to say who will play well at Carnoustie this week. So many top players there who could have a good week.
Agreed. That's why I threw three names out there. If one is in contention, I'll come back here to remind everyone how smart I am. If I had any balls, I'd pick Woods.

Reactions: Knightmoves
Dry conditions can make it harder on all players. Yes the ball travels father but sometimes won't stop until it finds trouble. Harder to control.
Im playing today at Foresgate Country Club. Dry conditions won't be my problem, high humidity followed by storms ugh.
Don’t forget to add 5 yards for humidity. I heard that on TV a few times.

Good luck and bring lots of water and maybe a few extra shirts. It was brutal last night at the Cedar Grove bocce league. We persevered and took 2, but the t shirts were drenched.

Good luck and bring lots of water and maybe a few extra shirts. It was brutal last night at the Cedar Grove bocce league. We persevered and took 2, but the t shirts were drenched.
Golfing on days like this require extra golf towels. One wet and the rest dry to clean the sweat off your arms and hands before every single shot. It becomes an extra part of your routine. Going to be a struggle today but its a fundraising, scramble format and in the end a fun day. 20+ years with this group.

Good Times article from last August on the relationship between both events.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/11/sports/golf/scottish-open-british-open.html

Peter Adams, director of international championships at the European Tour and until 2017 the Scottish Open tournament director, attributed what he described as “the year-on-year growth of the tournament” partly to the fact that “it’s a good barometer — a good form guide” for the British Open.

Adams said that there was actually a very strong statistical correlation between those golfers who play at the Scottish Open and then play well at the British Open. “It’s an important factor for the tournament — the links factor.”

Reactions: WhiteBus
Good Times article from last August on the relationship between both events.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/11/sports/golf/scottish-open-british-open.html

Peter Adams, director of international championships at the European Tour and until 2017 the Scottish Open tournament director, attributed what he described as “the year-on-year growth of the tournament” partly to the fact that “it’s a good barometer — a good form guide” for the British Open.

Adams said that there was actually a very strong statistical correlation between those golfers who play at the Scottish Open and then play well at the British Open. “It’s an important factor for the tournament — the links factor.”
After fighting the style and wiffing at The Open, Phil embraced the concept goes over and works on his game and finally wins The Open in 2013 a week after he won his first Scottish Open. Since than a lot of US players look at the Scottish Open as a must play.

After fighting the style and wiffing at The Open, Phil embraced the concept goes over and works on his game and finally wins The Open in 2013 a week after he won his first Scottish Open. Since than a lot of US players look at the Scottish Open as a must play.

Remember that year vividly and was going to mention Phil in 13' when you posted this. He really carried that momentum well into the open.

Have not followed the game as closely the past several years but the Open is always a must watch.

Scores will be low. Key is to have a good game plan and sticking to it. Should come down to a putting contest.

Golfing on days like this require extra golf towels. One wet and the rest dry to clean the sweat off your arms and hands before every single shot. It becomes an extra part of your routine. Going to be a struggle today but its a fundraising, scramble format and in the end a fun day. 20+ years with this group.

Scrambles are fun but can tamper w your swing if you swing too hard that day. But inherent to Scrambles are free flowing beer on the golf carts, prizes, auctions, mulligans and, of course, cheating in many forms. The team format actually encourages cheating in a scramble, especially when they sell mulligans. But it’s usually for a charity so the greater good is served in the end.

I picked Justin Rose to win the US Open and see no reason why he won't be in contention come Sunday. Molinari has been en fuego the past 2 weeks but this is a much different type of course and it's difficult to continue playing at that level. I like Ricky Fowler.

I haven't checked the forecasts but just like the US Open tee times Thu and Fri could go a long way toward setting up the leaders come Sat and beyond.

I always put a couple of bucks down on the majors. Here are my bets:

Rose: 14-1
Fowler: 16-1
Fleetwood: 18-1
Molinari: 28-1
Reed: 33-1

The short courses means more players will have a chance but the long hitters will always have an advantage.
Here's the logic, in general terms: the longer the course, the more it favors long hitters; the shorter the course, the less it favors long hitters.

Where's my invite?

I'm going with an unknown. I think Jean Van de Velde has the game to win there. If he gets the lead he's unbeatable.

Didn't he fall apart a decade or so putting the ball in a tiny stream near the end to lose?

Didn't he fall apart a decade or so putting the ball in a tiny stream near the end to lose?

That would be him. All he needed to win was a double bogey on 18. He hit the Driver into the high grass on the right, didn't play safe with his 2nd shot, put #3 into the water, dropped, dumped #5 into a trap, and ended up making a 6-8 foot put to escape with a triple bogey 7. Lost in a 3 way playoff to Paul Lawrie.

That would be him. All he needed to win was a double bogey on 18. He hit the Driver into the high grass on the right, didn't play safe with his 2nd shot, put #3 into the water, dropped, dumped #5 into a trap, and ended up making a 6-8 foot put to escape with a triple bogey 7. Lost in a 3 way playoff to Paul Lawrie.

Yeah that poor bastard. LOL.

IIRC his 2nd shot initially made it over the water but he sliced it so bad that it hit a grandstand pole support and careened backwards ending up on the same side it was hit from.

Now that sucked.

Not to be a dick or anything but this history does punch a hole in your "If he gets the lead he's unbeatable." comment. LOL

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT