ADVERTISEMENT

OT: The Open 2018. Who you got?

Think it's going to be a Euro. Have to put Spieth in my top three because he is the most creative player in his prime and the conditions are going to favor that.

1. Tyrell Hatton
2. Tommy Fleetwood
3. Jordan Spieth

Not to be a dick or anything but this history does punch a hole in your "If he gets the lead he's unbeatable." comment. LOL

It was meant as a humorous retelling of his history. Guess it failed.

I wasn't the first and won't be the last time but I'm not deterred. I'll keep trying.

Reactions: RUScrew85
OK I got:

DJ +1080
McIlroy +1660
Fowler +1530
Rham +1950

Couldn't get odds on Sergio on 5dimes.eu

It was meant as a humorous retelling of his history. Guess it failed.

I wasn't the first and won't be the last time but I'm not deterred. I'll keep trying.

No I got the meaning. No offense intended.

So 4+ hours away. Can't wait but won't get up early. Long weekend.
Im just guessing that a nobody is in the lead by the end of the day.

8am- No wind at all, lots under par so far, Kisner with the early clubhouse lead at 5 UNDER.
Speith and Pat Perez at 3 Under and still playing.
DJ just teed off, Tiger goes off at 10:20 am.

Brandon Stone, who just a week ago wasn't even qualified for The Open before Sundays 10 under 60, stays hot at -3 today.
Liked Tony Finau round. Can he break through. Someday he will.

Brandon Stone, who just a week ago wasn't even qualified for The Open before Sundays 10 under 60, stays hot at -3 today.
Liked Tony Finau round. Can he break through. Someday he will.
And then Stone headed over to The Old Course at St Andrews to play an afternoon round.

He lived every golfers dream today.

Reactions: WhiteBus
Fast greens, multiple levels on each, hilly. Great old school course.

My old roommate and I used to play Forsgate regularly with our Chem Eng'g Dept. Chair at RU. We were both about 7-8 handicaps and he was a 3 - perfect example of how important accuracy was, as we'd outdrive him by 20-30 yards, but he was always in the fairway and was more accurate with his irons into the greens and he'd almost always beat us. Great times, great course - haven't played there since the early 90s.

My old roommate and I used to play Forsgate regularly with our Chem Eng'g Dept. Chair at RU. We were both about 7-8 handicaps and he was a 3 - perfect example of how important accuracy was, as we'd outdrive him by 20-30 yards, but he was always in the fairway and was more accurate with his irons into the greens and he'd almost always beat us. Great times, great course - haven't played there since the early 90s.
The Palmer Course reminds me of the conditions today at the open. There are too many par fours where your drive can roll out into fairway water. Nice conditions, but not a fan of the layout. It's a disadvantage to the "bomb and gouge" golfer. Never played the Banks course

The Palmer Course reminds me of the conditions today at the open. There are too many par fours where your drive can roll out into fairway water. Nice conditions, but not a fan of the layout. It's a disadvantage to the "bomb and gouge" golfer. Never played the Banks course
We played The Banks. Historic course. Great East Coast golf course. Hilly, long par 5s, the toughest greens you will play in NJ. If you play always add a club on all the par 3s. You will thank me later. The Palmer Course while always in great shape is boring as hell.

Some wind, some rain welcome back to normal Scotland weather. People teeing off later should catch a break as rain and wind will die down. Some big names creeping up the scoreboard.

Well it looks like my boy Spieth figured out his putting - he's like -6 on par threes so far.

Some wind, some rain welcome back to normal Scotland weather. People teeing off later should catch a break as rain and wind will die down. Some big names creeping up the scoreboard.

The guys who teed off early yesterday and late today had a bit of a weather advantage.

Shaping up to be another fun weekend at the Open. Kisner and Zach Johnson tied for the lead at -6, although Kisner doubled the 18th, Fleetwood, Perez and Schauffele tied at -5, and Rory, Finau, Kuchar, Lombard and Van Rooyen tied at -4.

And quite a few other major winners within 6 strokes, including Spieth (-3), Willet (-2), Scott and Koepka at -1, and Tiger, Phil, Day, Ooshuizen and Cink all at even par. Justin Thomas, Dustin Johnson, Sergio, Rahm and Kaymer, to name a few, all missed the cut.

https://www.cbssports.com/golf/news...down-full-coverage-scores-round-2-highlights/

Fleetwood with the bad end of the draw still right there. Gotta give him the advantage going into the weekend.

Do the super dry conditions help the shorter hitters? I'll go with Fleetwood, Molinari, or Zach Johnson.
First 2 of your 3 are in great shape. Second we have the answer to your question. Long ball hitters sent home.

Reactions: RutHut
My pre-tourney pick, Justin Rose, who had to birdie 18 yesterday to make the cut, just shot a 64 to get to 4 under par. Some low scores are out there today - would expect the leader to be at at least -8 after the end of today's round.

Cant ask for a better start from Speith. Drives the first hole, sank the putt for eagle. Tiger making birdies just 2 back.

Tiger 5 under through 11 at -5 and just one shot back. Being much more aggressive, using driver 5-6 times already today.

Spieth just took the lead at -9, with Kisner at -8 and Johnson/Schauffele at -7. Tiger finished at -5 after a very lucky bounce on his drive on 18, which could've easily gone into the Burn, while Molinari and Chappell finished at -6. Tiger's certainly in contention now. And Rory (-5) just hit a 408 yard drive on 14 and has a 10-footer for eagle. Tomorrow's forecast is for sustained winds in the 15-20 mph range with gusts up to 30 mph for the leaders in the afternoon, but it'll be sunny and warm with temps in the low 70s. Should be a great day of golf.

Here's the leaderboard for those who didn't see the round. If none of the guys at -9 get to better than 11 under (possible, with the winds up), then the guys at -5 and even -4 still have a shot, although they'd need to shoot 65/64 to get to -11 (which will be tough with 20 mph winds).

Tiger's still never won a major where he didn't have at least a share of the 54 hole lead - he's unlikely to win, but I hope he at least plays well, as that will certainly add to the drama.

Pos Player R3 Thru Total
T1
wj9uZvn_vZrelLFGH8fnPA_48x48.png
K. Kisner -3 F -9
T1
J. Spieth -6 F -9
T1
X. Schauffele -4 F -9
K. Chappell -4 F -7
joYpsiaYi4GDCqhSRAq5Zg_48x48.png
F. Molinari -6 F -6

T6
W. Simpson -4 F -5
T6
M. Kuchar -1 F -5
T6
DTqIL8Ba3KIuxGkpXw5ayA_48x48.png
T. Fleetwood E F -5
T6
Uaq6Zrc_irttRAW_PZmsAw_48x48.png
R. McIlroy -1 F -5
T6
OkFlRvRsKMWb8Hk20L9Trw_48x48.png
A. Norén -4 F -5
T6
Z. Johnson +1 F -5
T6
T. Woods -5 F -5
T13
EGwD4_SUlmwZWbnHhcmTPA_48x48.png
E. van Rooyen E F -4
T13
A. Cook -4 F -4
T13
DTqIL8Ba3KIuxGkpXw5ayA_48x48.png
J. Rose -7 F -4
T13
T. Finau E F -4
T13
EGwD4_SUlmwZWbnHhcmTPA_48x48.png
Z. Lombard E F -4
T13
C. Hoffman -3 F -4
T13
jSgw5z0EPOLzdUi-Aomq7Q_48x48.png
A. Scott -3 F -4

Just got back from soccer and Tiger is at -7, only 1 shot back of Spieth and Schauffele with both of them looking at bogeys on the easy par 5 6th. Pepperell shot 67 to be in the clubhouse at -5. Kisner and Molinari at -6.

Edit: holy crap, Spieth just missed a 4-footer for bogey and is at -6. Tiger is tied for the lead with Schauffele at -7 (he's on hole 9). He's just about the only one of the leaders playing well.

This is must-see golf. The 3rd round leaders are coming back, while Tiger is grinding. Gotta love Pepperel's chances.

BTW, Tiger is about to be lone leader.

Tiger and Molinari, playing together, and are the only 2 players who are bogey-free in their rounds. Before the round Johnny Miller mused that if Tiger could just beat Molinari today, he might win.

ADVERTISEMENT