ADVERTISEMENT

OT: The Osprey in Manasquan closed for 2020 summer season

NotInRHouse

Legend
Oct 17, 2007
Anyone else hear about this? Major bummer. No word from other big shore spots yet, but I have heard a few spots are planning to open if allowed.

Yes heard about this a few days ago. I would have thought they would try to get a half season in if possible but don't see how we're not going to be wearing masks even into the summer. I do think there could be a window though where with the humidity and such it won't spread as easy even though it will still be around. So all in all we have no idea what this will look like in a few months so surprised they announced so early but not like they can't change their mind.

Yes heard about this a few days ago. I would have thought they would try to get a half season in if possible but don't see how we're not going to be wearing masks even into the summer. I do think there could be a window though where with the humidity and such it won't spread as easy even though it will still be around. So all in all we have no idea what this will look like in a few months so surprised they announced so early but not like they can't change their mind.

I was thinking they're basically the only shore spot that isn't open during the day and doesn't serve food. So the others stand some chance to still make money if people are allowed to go down.

Can someone explain to me why the Delsea Drive-In, the only Drive-In left in the state, is not being allowed to open ?

Reactions: DirtyRU
Anyone else hear about this? Major bummer. No word from other big shore spots yet, but I have heard a few spots are planning to open if allowed.

Let's go to our Osprey Bar correspondent knightfan7 on First Avenue in Manasquan.... knightfan7, what's the story down there?

70th Anniversary article dated 2016. Did not know Bruce Springsteen had his first legal drink at The Osprey:
https://www.app.com/story/entertain...shore-legend-years-osprey-manasquan/88936518/

Last edited:
Reactions: NotInRHouse
Can someone explain to me why the Delsea Drive-In, the only Drive-In left in the state, is not being allowed to open ?
Now that is strange. Because Jackson just OK'd and the state approved for a popup drive in the town. Basically he sets up the screen and projector in a field then you tune into a certain station and Wala drive in movie and it's cheap since you bring your own drinks and food.

John met a girl in Leggett's just before he went on his summer cruise after his Plebe year.
She quit her job in NYC, sublet her apt in Hoboken and moved to Annapolis while he was at sea.
3 years later they were married at USNA Chapel before he went to Pensacola.
10 years later they have 2 kids and live off exit 109.

Now that is strange. Because Jackson just OK'd and the state approved for a popup drive in the town. Basically he sets up the screen and projector in a field then you tune into a certain station and Wala drive in movie and it's cheap since you bring your own drinks and food.
That is ticking off the Delsea owners even more. Article on nj.com.

Reactions: koleszar
Was never into the late night club scene. The day I got my drivers licence I was hired at Spring Meadow Golf Course. Opened everyday so work began at dawn. More of a day drinker.
I was only in the Osprey once. Late afternoon. My god what a filthy place. Leggits was my Squan spot than and now. Exceptions were CBGBs and Baby O's (sp?) but always took days to recover.

I recall the Nerds playing at Zetamania ~1988-89. Zeta Psi would cover their entire parking lot with sand and have a blowout. Is my memory any good?

dude yes....Zetomania was like the best thing ever. My best party experiences ever at RU whether it was Around the World Night or Zetamania, I think the best one was 92 I think, not the Nerds but another band but it was like a 80 degree day in late March and i still remember alot of details of that day. So much drinking and fun that day. Also had good times at Big Orange Freakout at Chi Phil which usually would be later in April and of course who could forget the open debauchery allowed on Cook during Ag Field Day

Any late night single love to mingle type bar at the Jersey Shore was/is a place where you will cringe if you get there during daylight.

You aren't there for the ambiance...

Jimmy Byrne's Sea Girt; Anyone old enough to remember hitting that place ? Literally would shake like a 3.0 on the Richter scale. First room on the left, The Bamboo Room, literally the NJSP never bought a drink there. A $ 20 tip as you left was the cost of the night. (other than a massive headache the next morning, and driving with the oxygen mask/tank on the seat next to you.)

Reactions: WhiteBus
I was just talking about this with someone.

They, most likely got government money and my guess is the economics work out that they make more money closed vs. open. Just a guess here.

Other scenario is that they are using this as a opportunity to update the place.

I was just talking about this with someone.

They, most likely got government money and my guess is the economics work out that they make more money closed vs. open. Just a guess here.

Other scenario is that they are using this as a opportunity to update the place.

Yeah a lot of bars will need to decide if it makes sense to open if you’re not that busy. Not sure how many people are going to feel like being crammed in a bar this summer.

Gee Gee’s?

Friend of mine was a night manager at Gee Gee's.

You don't want to know....

Used to work my guys hard and the single ones would complain that they had no time to meet girls. So I made up an idea. Told they to go to Parker House in Sea Girt, dress nice casual, no jeans/shorts/t's; Nice golf shirt, regular pants, shaved. Go upstairs and buy a bottle of decent Champaign with a $ 100 bill and tell the bartender to put another one on ice. Use another $ 100 for that bottle.
"What do I do next ?", they would ask.
"Nothing, they will come like moths."

It actually worked and I know 2 guys that married girls using that bs that I made up...

One of my Nieces lived in Manhattan, couldn't meet nice guys, she was a buyer for Saks. Told her to get a house out on Hampton's. Next fall she and 2 of her friends from Saks that shared the house were engaged !

And before The Nerds, 'Salvation' was the house band at the Osprey in the 70s and early 80s. Leggetts would get the overflow.. A great shore town.

With Chuck Wepner in the white panama hat in his usual spot right in front of the bandstand.

If you want some memories, here ya go....

Last edited:

Used to work my guys hard and the single ones would complain that they had no time to meet girls. So I made up an idea. Told they to go to Parker House in Sea Girt, dress nice casual, no jeans/shorts/t's; Nice golf shirt, regular pants, shaved. Go upstairs and buy a bottle of decent Champaign with a $ 100 bill and tell the bartender to put another one on ice. Use another $ 100 for that bottle.

It actually worked and I know 2 guys that married girls using that bs that I made up...

One of my Nieces lived in Manhattan, couldn't meet nice guys, she was a buyer for Saks. Told her to get a house out on Hampton's. Next fall she and 2 of her friends from Saks that shared the house were engaged !

...not that I've been asked a ton but when people have approached me with this subject, I usually tell them to stop looking, use that time to better themselves and don't forget to have fun/ keep an open mind. People are generally attracted to others that come across as confident and personable...and generally don't like being creeped on.

Joe P.

With Chuck Wepner in the white panama hat in his usual spot right in front of the bandstand.

If you want some memories, here ya go....

Heard a rumor this AM that bars will not be operate in town (so Leggetts/Salty Whale as restaurant only) and all gatherings limited to 10 people...any word on this?

"Drunk and Stupid is not a good way to go thru life !"

The Bayonne Bleeder would go around with Art Stock and drink for nothing at all of Art's 'clubs' back in the day. Nice guy and would put up with the drunks that wanted to shadow box with him.

In New Orleans for a Super Bowl, one of the guys with me had a few too many local cocktails. Sees Eric Dickerson behind a celebrity rope. Ducks under the rope and tackles Eric ! Much to do with the bouncers, Eric was THE MAN in the NFL that year.
"Man what are you doing ?", Eric D.
" I just wanted to see what it felt like to tackle an All Pro !", Alan Clayton.
"Man, you crazy, you hang with me !", Eric D.
Away Alan went....of the Manasquan Clayton's....(lot's of them..) He later married a girl he met at The Parker House, very nice girl.

Heard a rumor this AM that bars will not be operate in town (so Leggetts/Salty Whale as restaurant only) and all gatherings limited to 10 people...any word on this?

Not as much detail as you have. I had heard Leggetts had every intention of opening as soon as they get the ok.

Town Council meeting tomorrow. One topic on agenda is extending the rental ban past the 15th. No idea which way that'll go. They're also going to decide what to do if people want a refund on their badges.

Reactions: jreinsdorf
Part of my lost summer at the shore circa late 60's.
Started out as a life guard Jenkinson's Pavilion, quit and got a job at the Osprey checking ID's and a bouncer. Owner was a little round guy who trusted nobody. He would put little wax stick marks on the bottles and, I guess, come back to check them later against the take.
Some of the bartenders would erase his mark and put another one on.
The manager was a guy with a short arm. Kind of a weird guy. We had the house band get into a fight with each other and after we broke it up, they were fired. Now, this is really late on a Sunday night and we all had to hang around while the band broke everything down and left. The band's women were screaming at each other based on the side the band members were on. Since much of the "conversation" between these girls were four letter words, this short armed guy says, "I really get turned on when women curse".

Reactions: BigWill
"Drunk and Stupid is not a good way to go thru life !"

The Bayonne Bleeder would go around with Art Stock and drink for nothing at all of Art's 'clubs' back in the day. Nice guy and would put up with the drunks that wanted to shadow box with him.

In New Orleans for a Super Bowl, one of the guys with me had a few too many local cocktails. Sees Eric Dickerson behind a celebrity rope. Ducks under the rope and tackles Eric ! Much to do with the bouncers, Eric was THE MAN in the NFL that year.
"Man what are you doing ?", Eric D.
" I just wanted to see what it felt like to tackle an All Pro !", Alan Clayton.
"Man, you crazy, you hang with me !", Eric D.
Away Alan went....of the Manasquan Clayton's....(lot's of them..) He later married a girl he met at The Parker House, very nice girl.

First time I was ever behind the bar was at The Parker House filling in. Back then it was called The Sea Girt Ale House. Owned by some guys from Montclair

Any late night single love to mingle type bar at the Jersey Shore was/is a place where you will cringe if you get there during daylight.

You aren't there for the ambiance...

Jimmy Byrne's Sea Girt; Anyone old enough to remember hitting that place ? Literally would shake like a 3.0 on the Richter scale. First room on the left, The Bamboo Room, literally the NJSP never bought a drink there. A $ 20 tip as you left was the cost of the night. (other than a massive headache the next morning, and driving with the oxygen mask/tank on the seat next to you.)

I was at JB’s Sea Girt Inn one July 4th. Used the bathroom downstairs and looked up and the floor had to be moving 6 inches. I just don’t know how it didn’t cave-in.
Memories of Salvation . Wasn’t Chuckie the lead singer?
I bartended at the Royal Manor (North Brunswick) for several years. That entitled me to drink for free at most of the short clubs. Of course, some huge tips left behind. Some crazy years

Let's go to our Osprey Bar correspondent knightfan7 on First Avenue in Manasquan.... knightfan7, what's the story down there?

70th Anniversary article dated 2016. Did not know Bruce Springsteen had his first legal drink at The Osprey:
https://www.app.com/story/entertain...shore-legend-years-osprey-manasquan/88936518/

A lot of what you're hearing is 2nd and 3rd hand. I hate to add anything I don't know personally. What I heard about Leggetts was from someone who would have good info but with what's going on things change daily.

I was at JB’s Sea Girt Inn one July 4th. Used the bathroom downstairs and looked up and the floor had to be moving 6 inches. I just don’t know how it didn’t cave-in.
Memories of Salvation . Wasn’t Chuckie the lead singer?
I bartended at the Royal Manor (North Brunswick) for several years. That entitled me to drink for free at most of the short clubs. Of course, some huge tips left behind. Some crazy years

Loved Jimmy Byrnes. Lynch Boys were always fun. Some places where you'd stand on the main floor made you feel like you were bouncing on a trampoline.

There was a time when the SGI would close at 3am. There'd be a line of cars waiting to get in around 2am after the other bars closed.

I can't remember ever going to the Osprey, Leggett's, Gee Gee's afterward, or the Parker House on Sunday afternoon while ever having the goal to get married. :)

I recall the Nerds playing at Zetamania ~1988-89. Zeta Psi would cover their entire parking lot with sand and have a blowout. Is my memory any good?
You are correct! I was there, invited by one of the brothers! That was a great great party!!!!

ADVERTISEMENT