ADVERTISEMENT

OT: The rules of golf stink

Its is interesting. If you take too long you can be put on the clock and the next offense is a penalty. Since Speith was not on the clock at the point, I believe he could take as long as he wanted and would only get a warning at worst case.

Not that it matters in this case but they had already been asked to speed it up before the issue on 13. I believe the next time they would have been put on the clock.

Well, speaking of caddies, I played so bad last week...
my caddie was throwing clubs.

Last edited:
Well, speaking of caddies, I played so bad last week...
my caddy was throwing clubs.
On the last hole of a tournament, I had 160 yards to the pin. I asked my caddie if an 8 iron would get me there. With a deep sigh he responded "Yes, eventually"

Reactions: Purple-Ed
Why is it relevant whether I have or not? I know the rules. Yes what he did was within the rules. I said the rule stinks. The fact that you can save yourself multiple strokes by taking a one stroke penalty is stupid.
If, according to you, the ball was playable, precisely how did he save himself "multiple strokes."

Last edited:
On the last hole of a tournament, I had 160 yards to the pin. I asked my caddie if an 8 iron would get me there. With a deep sigh he responded "Yes, eventually"

Well you could have hit the 8 and if it didn't work, blame the caddie. That's what happened to me.

Decades later and I'm still carrying a grudge. Should have planted him right there.

Reactions: WhiteBus
Unplayable should not be stroke and distance. unplayable lies like a ball plugged in a bunker face under a lip, a ball in a deep depression in the rough or behind a tree, a ball in the roots of a tree or a ball stuck in a tree. These are the types of examples where unplayable lies occur and they should not be penalized stroke and distance.

Thanks for WhiteBus trying to explain. Reading the decisions are great.

Nope sorry. These are exact examples of what should be stroke and distance. This rule is far too often used to a players advantage. Problem is speed of play, on every level. I recognize that. But it doesn't change my opinion.

Funny thing is this guy is proving my point, every example he used above would have been the result of a bad/missed played shot. Which is every time I have ever seen a unplayable taken. These shots should not be rewarded just for knowing the basic rules of golf.

Unplayable should not be stroke and distance. unplayable lies like a ball plugged in a bunker face under a lip, a ball in a deep depression in the rough or behind a tree, a ball in the roots of a tree or a ball stuck in a tree. These are the types of examples where unplayable lies occur and they should not be penalized stroke and distance.

Thanks for WhiteBus trying to explain. Reading the decisions are great.

Nope sorry. These are exact examples of what should be stroke and distance. This rule is far too often used to a players advantage. Problem is speed of play, on every level. I recognize that. But it doesn't change my opinion.

Funny thing is this guy is proving my point, every example he used above would have been the result of a bad/missed played shot. Which is every time I have ever seen a unplayable taken. These shots should not be rewarded just for knowing the basic rules of golf.
So you are saying all red and white out of bounds should be white. Because a ball in the water is worse than anything I used as an example.

Btw - The R&A and USGA don't agree. They are moving in the exact opposite of your thinking.

Everyone faces the same rules so how is it an advantage?

Just an educated guess. The people who thought that Speith had an advantage must have had a wager on Kucher.
The OP originals post was the dumbest post I have ever seen on this board. Yet some of you are making a great run for the 2nd most stupid post. And I know none of you are good golfers. You talk a stupid game. Unreal

An example of a dumb rule was one where Tiger Woods hit his ball under a boulder at TPC Scottsdale. He ended up getting a crowd of his fans to move this 2-ton boulder so it could be called a "loose impediment". The rules officials allowed it.

Just an educated guess. The people who thought that Speith had an advantage must have had a wager on Kucher.
The OP originals post was the dumbest post I have ever seen on this board. Yet some of you are making a great run for the 2nd most stupid post. And I know none of you are good golfers. You talk a stupid game. Unreal
This is one I disagree with you on. There have been many far dumber posts regarding RU football.

So you are saying all red and white out of bounds should be white. Because a ball in the water is worse than anything I used as an example.

Btw - The R&A and USGA don't agree. They are moving in the exact opposite of your thinking.
I agree 85. From what I am hearing they are going the way of everything will be a red stake vs white stake.

I once told my caddie that I was going to drown myself in the water hazard if I put another ball in there. He told me he doubted I could keep my head down that long.

So Im standing on the 18th waiting for the group in front of us to clear. Im having a good day, for me. I turn to the caddie and ask "its been 17 holes now, so what do you think of my game?" He says "Tremendous! Never seen anything like it. However, I prefer golf"

Reactions: MYHATINTHERING
And we can't ignore George Carlin's opinion on golf...

ADVERTISEMENT