ADVERTISEMENT

OT: The Tiger Woods Story

I read it earlier. Could have done with about 5000 less words on Tiger and the Navy Seals, no exaggeration.

Reactions: RICOelectric
I liked the bit about Tiger going out to get lunch with Navy Seals. When the check came the Seals all looked to Tiger to pay. When it became obvious that Tiger wasn't going to offer, they requested separate checks.

What a prick!

Reactions: PhDKnight
What the article does is establish how tiger was primed for a certain kind of success by his father, and never really had much of a personality, then when his father died, tiger was left to his own fantasies and pastimes, and those ultimately destroyed everything he had.

Good piece.
What ataylor1989x said above + basically tiger can't run or do any exercise except walking. Oh and basically he's done as anything close to an elite golfer, physically, mentally, and emotionally.

I liked the bit about Tiger going out to get lunch with Navy Seals. When the check came the Seals all looked to Tiger to pay. When it became obvious that Tiger wasn't going to offer, they requested separate checks.

What a prick!

Wait... Did that really happen?

Somebody should wrap a 7 iron around his neck. What a dick.

Tiger has had the reputation as a cheapskate for a long time. But for him to dodge a check with a group of Navy Seals may be a new low, even for him.

Interesting that the PGA Tour players generally love Tiger and hate Phil. Goes to show how removed the general public is from who these people are in real life.

Reactions: soundcrib
Tiger has had the reputation as a cheapskate for a long time. But for him to dodge a check with a group of Navy Seals may be a new low, even for him.

Interesting that the PGA Tour players generally love Tiger and hate Phil. Goes to show how removed the general public is from who these people are in real life.

I agree that dodging a check with navy seals(at a local diner, how much could it have been?) is pretty low, but where are you getting information that everyone hates Phil. There is a long list guys that like him and love playing practice rounds with him or teaming up with him at Ryder or Presidents cups.

Please name a player who hates Phil?

I have no idea where you got that players love Tiger and hate Phil. You have it completely backwords.

I have no idea where you got that players love Tiger and hate Phil. You have it completely backwords.

I have it backwards ? What are your sources ? Once you respond I will provide mine, guys who have played with Phil.

I have it backwards ? What are your sources ? Once you respond I will provide mine, guys who have played with Phil.
Phil is one of the most popular guys on the tour. His practice games are epic. Tiger has had maybe a dozen guys who liked him and most don't anymore. My sources are easily found on the internet.
Do you ever wonder why his coaches, his caddies and ex friends never defend him anymore. Mark O'meara his best friend in his early years doesn't even talk with him anymore. Tiger has jettison everyone that was considered a friend. He doesn't take anyone's calls.

Reactions: JPhoboken

Ok, Keegan Bradley and him are good buds, now go ahead, provide me the name of current tour players who hate phil.

And remember, its always possible for one guy to not like you for one reason or another.

I always take this "this one isn't popular" stories with a grain of salt. From what I have heard and read, Vijay isn't the nicest guy in the world. Yet from what I have heard from people who have seen him interact with players, he is fairly well liked. Who know?

From what we read, it seems that Phil would have way more friends on tour than TIger. A lot of guys know him, like notah begay who he went to college with, but he isn't known to have a lot of good friends. And Notah Begay is not a current tour player.

I know someone who worked players hospitality at a course that hosts PGA Tourneys. Didn't have a nice word to say about Tiger.

A lot of what this person said goes along with what I heard about the piece ESPN did. Hates the fame but isn't above using it to get what he wants. Not social at all. Treats fans with disdain. Pretty much universally disliked by other pros, caddies, and officials.

To go along with what Bus said, Phil on the other hand is the same guy when no cameras are around that we see on TV signing autographs for an hour after a round. Goes out of his way to be nice to everyone. When he talks to you he makes you feel like the star, not him.

Who hates mayonnaise??
Really?!
150202_FOOD_Hellmans.jpg.CROP.original-original.jpg

Reactions: rubigtimenow
I know someone who worked players hospitality at a course that hosts PGA Tourneys. Didn't have a nice word to say about Tiger.

A lot of what this person said goes along with what I heard about the piece ESPN did. Hates the fame but isn't above using it to get what he wants. Not social at all. Treats fans with disdain. Pretty much universally disliked by other pros, caddies, and officials.

To go along with what Bus said, Phil on the other hand is the same guy when no cameras are around that we see on TV signing autographs for an hour after a round. Goes out of his way to be nice to everyone. When he talks to you he makes you feel like the star, not him.

I'm sure that there are people that hate Phil and love Tiger. But, in general, Phil seems to be the much more social/happier guy. I was watching either the Thurs or Fri round of the Barclays at Westchester CC in, I'm pretty sure, 2002. Phil hits his drive into the woods near where I was standing. As he comes thru he sees a young kid with a FDNY hat and goes over to him and says hello. I think he thought that the kid's father may have been killed in 9/11 the way he interacted. Made the kid's day. No one told Phil to do it. One small example, but he is always smiling. Maybe all an act, but I hope not.

For those that don't like mayo do you hate sour cream and butter too????

@RU4Real Miracle Whip?? I'm surprised at you.

It has a more even flavor and doesn't have the same temperature sensitivities as mayo, which is important given that most applications are inherently long-holding.

Mayo actually tastes pretty good but I can't get past how gross it looks. That, and its awful for you so I avoid it. Sour cream also creeps me out and isn't particularly good for you, so I pass on that also.

Not sure why butter is being lumped in with those two.

Mayo actually tastes pretty good but I can't get past how gross it looks. That, and its awful for you so I avoid it. Sour cream also creeps me out and isn't particularly good for you, so I pass on that also.

Not sure why butter is being lumped in with those two.

we can never be friends. :(

(I lumped butter in there because it, like mayo and sour cream, taste wonderful but is not particularly good for you.)

Phil is one of the most popular guys on the tour. His practice games are epic. Tiger has had maybe a dozen guys who liked him and most don't anymore. My sources are easily found on the internet.
Do you ever wonder why his coaches, his caddies and ex friends never defend him anymore. Mark O'meara his best friend in his early years doesn't even talk with him anymore. Tiger has jettison everyone that was considered a friend. He doesn't take anyone's calls.
I Don't have a horse in the race. I do not dislike Phil. I appreciate his game. A good friend of mines nephew was a caddy for a few years down in Kiawah and would time to time get on a bag on tour. He would tell stories about the pros particularly their love hate with Phil Mickelson and how he was generally not liked on tour. Told us his nickname was FIGJAM by most pros. I have attached an article that best describes the meaning of FIGJAM.
http://www.gq.com/story/most-hates-athletes

As to why he was popular in practice rounds with the guys is because he made a habit of losing big money to most of the guys. You do not continue to play in rounds specifically big money rounds if you lose. That is why his practice rounds are legendary. One of the reasons he is now with Callaway was to satisfy an outstanding gambling debt.

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_...ermediary-was-part-illegal-gambling-operation

Last edited:
Reactions: soundcrib

yeah - and if you read the article, you'd understand why. but...I do agree that the general vibe is that Phil's more liked (but he does have his own weird skeletons as well)

look, I get it...people hate Tiger. I see a guy who is actually just really really socially awkward...and with a ton of issues. Reading the article gives a lot of insights into why

and the whole diner check thing...i agree that on its face, its dooshey...but maybe he just wanted to be treated like one of the guys? it must suck going through life with EVERYONE thinking you're going to pay for EVERYTHING, all the time cause your absurdly rich. i am not defending what he did, but sometimes things aren't so black and white. and I think that's one of the themes the writer was trying to get across

but I know this will fall mostly on deaf ears, because people just generally love to hate Tiger since his fall from grace

Reactions: Rokodesh
One reason why the pros in general LOVE Tiger is that it is because of him that the purses have skyrocketed. He might be a d-ck, but no one has lived and played golf under the same scrutiny he has.

Phil never met a microphone or camera he didn't like. I appreciate his game, but so much about him seems fake. There "just happened" to be a camera there when he gave a kid a $100 for a cup of lemonade... uh huh...

I have two sources, one for each guy. The Tiger being liked by fellow tour players may be a little dated since it was before his first marriage ended. A buddy of mine played in the Pro Am at the Wachovia tournament and observed Tiger up close with the other players over a two day period. Tiger was one of the boys among tour pros at that time, joking and laughing with most of them, although he treated everyone else at the Pro Am like crap. But as I say that may have changed in the past few years.

The source on Phil was from a PGA teaching pro in Scottsdale who was on the golf team with Phil at ASU and has known him for more than 20 years. A phony, a guy who plays to the camera and a guy not trusted or liked by the tour pros was the information I was given. I have seen him sign autographs for fans but I'm talking about his reputation among the other tour pros. Not to say that he doesn't have friends on the tour. I'm sure that he does, as does Tiger.

One reason why the pros in general LOVE Tiger is that it is because of him that the purses have skyrocketed. He might be a d-ck, but no one has lived and played golf under the same scrutiny he has.

Phil never met a microphone or camera he didn't like. I appreciate his game, but so much about him seems fake. There "just happened" to be a camera there when he gave a kid a $100 for a cup of lemonade... uh huh...

The person I know swears he's the same guy you see on TV. Does he do things that help his image? Probably but that doesn't take away from the fact that he appears to be a genuine nice guy.

I've never had Miracle Whip.. I was under the impression its essentially mayo with high fructose corn syrup.

Mayo and sour cream are both disgusting. Butter is hard to put in the same category, since it's used so much in baking. But say butter on bread or toast? Yeah, I don't like that.

15 years ago I was in a large meeting when the speaker revealed that Tiger had just made a $1 million contribution to a charity close to our company's heart. The speaker was immediately admonished by an executive in the front row because Tiger had made it clear that his gift was to be kept anonymous. Shortly after I was talking with one of my former bosses, who had moved to new role in the company that put him in direct contact with high profile athletes and celebrities, and he told me that Tiger was VERY generous with his charitable giving but always insisted on public anonymity.

Hate Mayo? What do you put on your Salami,on white,sandwich?
I would go mustard with salami personally. That being said, mayo is essential for any poultry on a sandwich, as well as any type of salad sandwich (tuna, etc.)

I would go mustard with salami personally. That being said, mayo is essential for any poultry on a sandwich, as well as any type of salad sandwich (tuna, etc.)
I have a simple rule. If there is lettuce and tomato on the sandwich than its definitely mayo. Otherwise it's a good mustard on all else. (Except tuna of coarse).
Mustard doesn't go well with lettuce and tomato

The person I know swears he's the same guy you see on TV. Does he do things that help his image? Probably but that doesn't take away from the fact that he appears to be a genuine nice guy.

Tell us more about the person you know. A guy from the bar or someone who is closer to Tiger ?

Tell us more about the person you know. A guy from the bar or someone who is closer to Tiger ?
Do you know Tiger??? You keep giving accounts that counter everything that is said about Tiger and Phil. Phil goes to every tournament and reacts with the club members, the greens Superintendent.
You keep defending Tiger like you kept defending Kyle Flood

ADVERTISEMENT