ADVERTISEMENT

OT: The XFL Will Live On

This is great. I hope it comes together. I enjoyed the AAFL and XFL games. The leagues, did their job in providing a good product and developing players for the NFL. i.e PJ Walker.

As long as the new ownership understands what they have, what fans want and not bite off more than they can chew, they should succeed.

There are plenty of adequate lower rent stadiums to play. No need to rent NFL stadiums. Here in Atlanta, a team could play in 5/3 Field at Kennesaw State, a very nice 10K seat stadium. They can grow to the newly reconfigured Turner stadium where Georgia State plays. San Antonio will nicely fill the Alamodome. Seattle will support and root for anything with legs. St. Louis drew well.

This can be done. It just needs good capital and patience.

They have a chance considering the turn of events. People have been hating NFL HQ for years. Now the HQ is flipping fans the bird, and aligning with what are simply domestic enemies sworn to toppling the US. The NFL wont be excusing their way past that. They've crossed the Rubicon and people see it . If the XFL tacks back to normal they have a chance to catch on. It will probably take awhile for players, teams, execs to realize they are not as indispensable as they thought they were. They might need a new league to return to in 5-7 years.

They have a chance considering the turn of events. People have been hating NFL HQ for years. Now the HQ is flipping fans the bird, and aligning with what are simply domestic enemies sworn to toppling the US. The NFL wont be excusing their way past that. They've crossed the Rubicon and people see it . If the XFL tacks back to normal they have a chance to catch on. It will probably take awhile for players, teams, execs to realize they are not as indispensable as they thought they were. They might need a new league to return to in 5-7 years.

LOL . Politics aren’t going to bring down the NFL . Two guys I know from the local bar started last season not watching the NFL . By week 4 they were at the bar watching again and by the Super Bowl they were planning the a party and running the box pools .
This is the norm . Until the product on the field sucks, fans will watch and bet .

I don't think the political genie is ever going back in the bottle. Nor do I think the NFL will be looking to the militias for talent. If they did, the players would be speaking about issues that concern militias. People are going to use their platforms to speak their minds about issues that concern themselves and their families.

The NFL will survive challenges to its dominance.
.Challenger USFL (1983-1986) the most successful challenge to the NFL, the USFL succeeded in luring several stars to its rosters,
It was successful playing spring football, but going to fall didn't work out as planned.
1983 through 1985. The league played a spring/summer schedule in each of its active seasons. The 1986 season was scheduled to be played in the autumn/winter, directly competing against the NFL. But , the USFL ceased operations before that season was scheduled to begin.

XFL (1999-2001) Promoted as football with fewer rules and bigger hits
Initially drawing widespread publicity, the XFL’s ratings quickly plummeted and the league folded after just one season, and reportedly lost $70 million.

The UFL (2009-2012) play its schedule in the fall and was in constant financial trouble. The UFL collapsed after its 2012 seasons amid lawsuits from players and coaches s who alleged they were owed back salary.
For 3 of it's 4 seasons the USF was a 4 team league.
In 2010 it expanded to 5, but was back at 4 in the 2011 season

, the AAF (2019) ( didn't last even one season , even though it looked like it might catch on, but it failed to prove it would and only played 8 of he originally scheduled games before folding.

People claimed when the first kneeling started they were done with the NFL, but went back into the fold after a game or two.
Now the cry again is no NFL for me, but most will end that boycott and those that don't will be replaced easily.

College players are starting to become more outspoken, so I expect to be hearing:
collage football is not for me by some fans of the game, they will not stop what's happening and if never return, missed by some programs slightly, according to the type of booster they were.

Last edited:
LOL . Politics aren’t going to bring down the NFL . Two guys I know from the local bar started last season not watching the NFL . By week 4 they were at the bar watching again and by the Super Bowl they were planning the a party and running the box pools .
This is the norm . Until the product on the field sucks, fans will watch and bet .

I'm not talking about "politics."

"Last season" is a light year away from where you are now.

There's an old story about King Solomon. Two women claimed to be the mother of a baby. Nobody knew who the real mother was, and so they were brought to Solomon. Solomon asked them questions and probed for the truth.

Ultimately he couldn't tell who the real mother was, so he told a soldier to cut the baby in half - letting each mother have a half. One of the woman shrieked and cried out to Solomon. "That's the real mother" Solomon said and he gave her back her baby.

Right now, there are Americans who are like the real mother of the child. They see the sword drawn and ready to do damage. The NFL and other sports teams are helping to raise the sword. The smarter people get it - seems to be about a third of the people. Which is all you need really

.Challenger USFL (1983-1986) the most successful challenge to the NFL, the USFL succeeded in luring several stars to its rosters,
It was successful playing spring football, but going to fall didn't work out as planned.
1983 through 1985. The league played a spring/summer schedule in each of its active seasons. The 1986 season was scheduled to be played in the autumn/winter, directly competing against the NFL. But , the USFL ceased operations before that season was scheduled to begin.
The USFL was fine in the spring and probably wouldve had a better run than it did. Unfortunately the majority of the owners were bamboozled into thinking that it could compete vs the NFL. Guess wrong.

The RockFL.

tenor.gif

Reactions: ruready07
I'm not talking about "politics."

"Last season" is a light year away from where you are now.

There's an old story about King Solomon. Two women claimed to be the mother of a baby. Nobody knew who the real mother was, and so they were brought to Solomon. Solomon asked them questions and probed for the truth.

Ultimately he couldn't tell who the real mother was, so he told a soldier to cut the baby in half - letting each mother have a half. One of the woman shrieked and cried out to Solomon. "That's the real mother" Solomon said and he gave her back her baby.

Right now, there are Americans who are like the real mother of the child. They see the sword drawn and ready to do damage. The NFL and other sports teams are helping to raise the sword. The smarter people get it - seems to be about a third of the people. Which is all you need really
I think you are wrong. You are too hopeful. Here's what corporations and other entities like the NFL are thinking... no.. calculating is a better term.

The NFL thinks people who like pro football will watch it. They are a captured audience. Advertisers want the young urban demographic. always have since the majority of the population became urban in the 60s. Heck The Beverly Hillbillies was canceled because of such a calculation. They had ratings.. but lacked the "right" demographics.. people in cities with disposable income. The advertisers made the call.

So the NFL has to keep advertisers happy. They do this by avoiding controversy that could result in the woke masses leading boycotts against their advertisers.

Think of the recent Washington Redskins controversy. All their sponsors made antiRedskins statements.

Same for the NFL.

Same for every business out there.

The easy thing to do.. the wise thing to do.. is to cave to political correctness... because the audience that wants your product will "understand" while the activists will use whatever leverage they can muster to get what they want.

Squeaky wheels get the grease.

Unless you see counter-protests and boycotts of corporations that cave to this radical and activist pressure.. entities like the NFL will continue to calculate that appeasement is the right move.

Its just business.

The first time,they brought us 9/11.This time,it's COVID-19.

Of course,one could say the same about Schiano.

I think you are wrong. You are too hopeful. Here's what corporations and other entities like the NFL are thinking... no.. calculating is a better term.

The NFL thinks people who like pro football will watch it. They are a captured audience. Advertisers want the young urban demographic. always have since the majority of the population became urban in the 60s. Heck The Beverly Hillbillies was canceled because of such a calculation. They had ratings.. but lacked the "right" demographics.. people in cities with disposable income. The advertisers made the call.

So the NFL has to keep advertisers happy. They do this by avoiding controversy that could result in the woke masses leading boycotts against their advertisers.

Think of the recent Washington Redskins controversy. All their sponsors made antiRedskins statements.

Same for the NFL.

Same for every business out there.

The easy thing to do.. the wise thing to do.. is to cave to political correctness... because the audience that wants your product will "understand" while the activists will use whatever leverage they can muster to get what they want.

Squeaky wheels get the grease.

Unless you see counter-protests and boycotts of corporations that cave to this radical and activist pressure.. entities like the NFL will continue to calculate that appeasement is the right move.

Its just business.

People don't look at the big picture. In some corner of the universe the NFL has "business decisions." In another corner, you have a self described communist mayor of NYC tying the hands of NYPD while criminals have a field day/week/month. State Police and other policing agencies have told their members to stay out of NY. Truckers aren't far behind .

You have the same rioting taking place in other cities while state and city leaders take the sides of the criminals. Antifa are not "protestors" unless you're psychotic. Shootings, murders, robberies etc are escalating exponentially. BLM is lead by self-described "queer Marxists" who call for replacing US gov, nuclear family, male authority etc. They dont just want "reparations" they want to be able to take homes, retirements etc. They are full on subversives who want an insurgency - and in a few weeks US businesses gave them 2 billion dollars - despite not even knowing what they are about. Americans are just stupefied and shallow beyond belief.

Polls DO NOT support removing police, statues etc. Polling isn't even close. The NFL is not avoiding is controversy - they know they are doing damage but figure they are rich enough it doesn't matter. They are supporting violent and subversive groups - BLM (often white) Antifa, anarchists et al - it doesnt matter. Uniformed and armed milititias are already popping-up all over (its pre planned). This week it was UK.

NY Times makes fake history and you also have a shell party that is functionally dead and supporting the subversion. This isn't the 60s with a few boutique radicals vs the establishment - they have the establishment (who they bullied) in their pocket (media, academics, corporations, sports etc). A lot of these movements/groups have a lot of people in them that are killers. None of this resembles MLK etc etc. It looks more like Cuba, Maoist China, Venezuela etc.

https://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2020/08/blm-fascists-harass-restaurant-patrons.php

The USFL was fine in the spring and probably wouldve had a better run than it did. Unfortunately the majority of the owners were bamboozled into thinking that it could compete vs the NFL. Guess wrong.
Yup. They blew that call. There was some very good talent in that league and the level of play was good. Had a good niche and screwed it up. I wish the XFL well. At the end of the day, it’s all about the product not politics. Football fans love the sport, but they know a crap product when they see it and won’t watch. Hopefully this version of the XFL will be better.

The bamboozler was Donald Trump.
Correct. Trump was angling for a merger and NFL ownership. Had he gotten it, maybe the history of the world would have unfolded differently.

Like if instead of naming Milwaukee Brewers owner Bud Selig commissioner, the other owners had given it to a fellow owner (who probably wanted it more), George W Bush.

Correct. Trump was angling for a merger and NFL ownership. Had he gotten it, maybe the history of the world would have unfolded differently.

Like if instead of naming Milwaukee Brewers owner Bud Selig commissioner, the other owners had given it to a fellow owner (who probably wanted it more), George W Bush.
At the end of the day, the “merger” impact was several high profile players migrating to the NFL to affect the trajectory of franchises. Jim Kelly, Reggie White, and Steve Young to name just a few.

They will probably have another team in New Jersey with an owner who failed geography and doesn’t have a map.

Reactions: goru1869

XFL (1999-2001) Promoted as football with fewer rules and bigger hits
Initially drawing widespread publicity, the XFL’s ratings quickly plummeted and the league folded after just one season, and reportedly lost $70 million.

The UFL (2009-2012) play its schedule in the fall and was in constant financial trouble. The UFL collapsed after its 2012 seasons amid lawsuits from players and coaches s who alleged they were owed back salary.
For 3 of it's 4 seasons the USF was a 4 team league.
In 2010 it expanded to 5, but was back at 4 in the 2011 season

, the AAF (2019) ( didn't last even one season , even though it looked like it might catch on, but it failed to prove it would and only played 8 of he originally scheduled games before folding.

People claimed when the first kneeling started they were done with the NFL, but went back into the fold after a game or two.
Now the cry again is no NFL for me, but most will end that boycott and those that don't will be replaced easily.

College players are starting to become more outspoken, so I expect to be hearing:
collage football is not for me by some fans of the game, they will not stop what's happening and if never return, missed by some programs slightly, according to the type of booster they were.

Someone correct me on the USFL. Donald Trump wanted to buy the Buffalo Bills, but the NFL owners said no. Trump, of course, owned the NJ Generals and was the leader on taking the USFL to compete directly with the NFL by playing a fall schedule. This caused the league. Which was too bad - the USFL was great as a a spring league.

At the end of the day, the “merger” impact was several high profile players migrating to the NFL to affect the trajectory of franchises. Jim Kelly, Reggie White, and Steve Young to name just a few.

And Hershel Walker. And, of couse, Doug Flutie - though he went on to Canada.

For what it was the USFL was great.

Really enjoyed it. Same for the NFL Europe, the old WLAF.

Good ideas at the time.

Last edited:
After the XFL builds up , it will merge with the NFL and we will have promotion and relegation .

players will be signed from age 18 and placed in some sort of development program allowing the athlete to bypass college football if he chooses.

Hey don’t get mad at me , that’s just what’s going to happen

I don't think the political genie is ever going back in the bottle.
I honestly believe there is HUGE opportunity for black players to lead the way back from the brink. And that they SHOULD... because it is the right and moral thing to do.

I often say, think of what BLM could be if they ever looked at a situation and said, yeah, the cop was right to shoot in that instance... the suspect should have obeyed. Same for "All Lives Matter".. imagine if BLM saw that, heard that and then ADOPTED IT saying.. yes "All Lives Matter" is exactly what we are about.

There is an opportunity there still.

I honestly believe there is HUGE opportunity for black players to lead the way back from the brink. And that they SHOULD... because it is the right and moral thing to do.

I often say, think of what BLM could be if they ever looked at a situation and said, yeah, the cop was right to shoot in that instance... the suspect should have obeyed. Same for "All Lives Matter".. imagine if BLM saw that, heard that and then ADOPTED IT saying.. yes "All Lives Matter" is exactly what we are about.

There is an opportunity there still.

They can't shake down companies with All Lives Matter. It isn't combative enough.

They can't shake down companies with All Lives Matter. It isn't combative enough.
Sure they can.. Jesse Jackson did it without that BLM slogan... Al Sharpton also... you are correct int hat it did move them to the top of the list of who gets paid off...

After the XFL builds up , it will merge with the NFL and we will have promotion and relegation .

players will be signed from age 18 and placed in some sort of development program allowing the athlete to bypass college football if he chooses.

Hey don’t get mad at me , that’s just what’s going to happen

I highly doubt relegation in any sport can exist in this country. People who buy into the franchises buy into the top league and expect to make a profit. Relegation would be too much risk.

I highly doubt relegation in any sport can exist in this country. People who buy into the franchises buy into the top league and expect to make a profit. Relegation would be too much risk.

depends on how much extra money the additional clubs can bring to the overall contract ...

If the XFL starts taking viewership away from the NFL and in turn their profits... a domino may be forced to fall

(also some hopeful wishing on my part)

Add Sam Mills,.
The Field mouse. Sam was one of my favorite players growing up with Harry Carson. Saw him play a couple times at Montclair St. next door neighbor played with him. Dude was a wrecking machine.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT