ADVERTISEMENT

OT: They (psu) STILL don't care

If you could write a more descriptive headline, I might be tempted to click on the story but as it is now, you've lost me. Just trying to help...my aim is true.

My edit...you've added the (psu) to the headline...that's better but if you could say what they don't care about, it would be even better. I'm guessing it's a reference to showergate...

Last edited:
Why do we care? Seriously. It's enough with the psu crap every time they have a news article on this. It does not affect us in the least. We have all made our minds up about them one way or another. Lines in the sand have been drawn. There is no need for us, as Rutgers fans, to constantly rehash this stuff.
And yes I could have skipped over the post and no I didn't click on the article. It's just enough already

tenor.gif

Why do we care? Seriously. It's enough with the psu crap every time they have a news article on this. It does not affect us in the least. We have all made our minds up about them one way or another. Lines in the sand have been drawn. There is no need for us, as Rutgers fans, to constantly rehash this stuff.
And yes I could have skipped over the post and no I didn't click on the article. It's just enough already

I'm sure Ohio State & Michigan fans and Auburn & Alabama fans would definitely skip any chance they could to needle their rival fan base. It could have been any topic, but the fact that it's about kids again makes it more relevant to the recent past, whether you want to hear it or not.

I'm sure Ohio State & Michigan fans and Auburn & Alabama fans would definitely skip any chance they could to needle their rival fan base. It could have been any topic, but the fact that it's about kids again makes it more relevant to the recent past, whether you want to hear it or not.
Are we really a rival at this point in football? Maybe in your mind. Let's beat them on the field a bunch of times before this becomes a rivalry.

Reactions: RUaMoose
OSU-Michigan
Auburn-Alabama
Penn State-Rutgers

Which one doesn't belong in a discussion about rivalries?

Reactions: RUaMoose
I'm also sick of the constant bashing. Paints a picture of a jealous fan base with an inferiority complex. Get over it already! :thumbsdown:

Reactions: Dpgru
OSU-Michigan
Auburn-Alabama
Penn State-Dauphin County Court

Which one doesn't belong in a discussion about rivalries?
FIFY

Oh good. I was just thinking it has been far too long since we've had a nice PSU-Sandusky-Paterno obsession thread. o_O
So now you can get back to your regularly scheduled sheep molesting.

Sure, it's old new, but what really gets me is how we bent over backwards for Ped State when they complained about a certain flag at a tailgate on campus.Are you kidding me,really? They looked the other way for 30 years, but someone's flag rubbed them the wrong, and Rutgers even said they would take away their season tickets if found. Please,Ped. State doesn't deserve that kind of protection from non physical abuse,sorry,I'm expecting the snowflakes to kill me on this.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Are we really a rival at this point in football? Maybe in your mind. Let's beat them on the field a bunch of times before this becomes a rivalry.

I'll say it one more time: there is more to a most rivalries than who wins the games. Much more. There have been HUGE rivalries in the SEC, ACC, Big 8, SWC, Big Ten and Pac-10, that are beyond lopsided and in some instances saw one side not win for decades (or win maybe once or twice).

- we are border states
- there is animosity in many walks of life between the states
- our kids go there, their kids go here
- we've got long-time athletic relationships in many sports
- we live there, they live here

...the reasons go on and on but you get the idea. I mean there's even a trophy in Hoboken called the "River Street Rivalry" for the football series. This is a rivalry between schools, and states, not just "football."

Reactions: rutger80
I'll say it one more time: there is more to a most rivalries than who wins the games. Much more. There have been HUGE rivalries in the SEC, ACC, Big 8, SWC, Big Ten and Pac-10, that are beyond lopsided and in some instances saw one side not win for decades (or win maybe once or twice).

- we are border states
- there is animosity in many walks of life between the states
- our kids go there, their kids go here
- we've got long-time athletic relationships in many sports
- we live there, they live here

...the reasons go on and on but you get the idea. I mean there's even a trophy in Hoboken called the "River Street Rivalry" for the football series. This is a rivalry between schools, and states, not just "football."
It's only a rivalry if both sides agree it's a rivalry. That is not the situation here. My wife, sister in law and friends are Penn St grads. I agree with everything you said above to create a rivalry. Most PSU fans just don't see it that way. It's all once sided. Just my $0.02. I know you feel differently and we can agree to disagree.

Reactions: RU31trap
It's only a rivalry if both sides agree it's a rivalry. That is not the situation here. My wife, sister in law and friends are Penn St grads. I agree with everything you said above to create a rivalry. Most PSU fans just don't see it that way. It's all once sided. Just my $0.02. I know you feel differently and we can agree to disagree.

No argument, all good, lol! See I look at it differently: when a group goes out of their way to hate on, despise, and put down another, whether or not they THINK it's a "rivalry," in essence, it actually is one.

We will never be a rival!

It's filthy that we even have to play them. Get lost Creeps, go climb back under your stained rock. We all need a hot shower after playing then just to wash away the Creep State stench of child molestation, murder, bigotry, homophobia.,.

Reactions: 1873

Sorry honey. : (

No argument, all good, lol! See I look at it differently: when a group goes out of their way to hate on, despise, and put down another, whether or not they THINK it's a "rivalry," in essence, it actually is one.
The way I see it is the RU-PSU rivalry is one sided out in the open.
Rutgers fans make no bones about considering Penn St their biggest rival.
Penn St fans hide their feelings about considering Rutgers a rival, but sweat out each game between their Nittany Lions and the Scarlet Knights worrying about losing to them more than they do any other opponent.
Nit fans might not admit it, but they consider Rutgers their biggest rival, but (right now) won't acknowledge that because RU hasn't shown they can beat the Nits on any given day.

The way I see it is the RU-PSU rivalry is one sided out in the open.
Rutgers fans make no bones about considering Penn St their biggest rival.
Penn St fans hide their feelings about considering Rutgers a rival, but sweat out each game between their Nittany Lions and the Scarlet Knights worrying about losing to them more than they do any other opponent.
Nit fans might not admit it, but they consider Rutgers their biggest rival, but (right now) won't acknowledge that because RU hasn't shown they can beat the Nits on any given day.

Have you guys run this by Pitt fans? I think they hold the self proclaimed title of "our biggest rival." We were definitely 1st tiers rival at one time but I don't think it's quite the same as it was and even tough we have this 4 game series it's still in decline.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. The potential for a 1st tier PSU-RU rivalry is there, but there's not one yet. Our traditional rivalries faded when we joined the B1G. In recent history we've played OSU as competitively as anyone in the league but we're not 1st tier rivals, maybe 2nd or 3rd tier.

The B1G tried to force a PSU-MSU rivalry for a while but that tired & once Nebraska joined and more division realignment took place it was in full decline. Given we were on opposite ends of the conference, and the conference outsiders, I was hopeful that us and Nebby could build a rivalry playing the last game of the regular season but expansion.

I think a lot of Penn State fans like me are kinda burnt out being told who our rival is. So get competitive and I think a real rivalry develops but right now its just meh.

Its a rivalry. Not much of one, but it is one. They know it. We know it.

And all you gotta remember is the look on Franklin's face when they stole that first game vs us in the Big Ten.

I get it that no one wants a rival who doesn't have the same "status" as they have achieved. Syracuse didn't think of us as a rival even though we had beaten than 7 of the last 10 and they were scheduling games in New Jersey having lost much of their recruiting power here. Admitting that Rutgers was a rival is basically admitting how far you have fallen.

It will happen to Penn State.

Reactions: Big East Beast
Have you guys run this by Pitt fans? I think they hold the self proclaimed title of "our biggest rival." We were definitely 1st tiers rival at one time but I don't think it's quite the same as it was and even tough we have this 4 game series it's still in decline.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. The potential for a 1st tier PSU-RU rivalry is there, but there's not one yet. Our traditional rivalries faded when we joined the B1G. In recent history we've played OSU as competitively as anyone in the league but we're not 1st tier rivals, maybe 2nd or 3rd tier.

The B1G tried to force a PSU-MSU rivalry for a while but that tired & once Nebraska joined and more division realignment took place it was in full decline. Given we were on opposite ends of the conference, and the conference outsiders, I was hopeful that us and Nebby could build a rivalry playing the last game of the regular season but expansion.

I think a lot of Penn State fans like me are kinda burnt out being told who our rival is. So get competitive and I think a real rivalry develops but right now its just meh.

My wife is a PSU alum and according to her, the Cheeseheads are PSU's football rival. She admits they can't measure up to OSU-UM & everyone else is, in effect, beneath them. Pitt isn't much on the radar for her & friends.

Pitt, if played every year or close to it could become PSU's rivalry game until
RU starts showing the Nits that the Scar;let Knights can beat them any given game.
But ( correct me if I'm wrong Nit and Pitt fans) WV was Pitt's biggest rival until those programs stopped playing one another.
Rutgers being in the same conference and division has the better shot now for making the RU-PSU game (every year) known as one of the better rivalry games.
But RU fans and the B1G won't make that happen, the Scarlet Knights team will be the one to do that once they start beating the Nits and playing more competitively in just about every match-up with them.

Right now the rivalry is RU fans wanting it and PSU fans dreading Rutgers becomes good enough to become one in the eyes of the media.

IMHO a rivalry game originates from decades of seesaw battles. Back and forth games that make and break seasons. Penn State definitely has the upper hand, but a great deal of their success is owed to NJ athletes. PSU knows full well that Jersey kids have been a big part of their success. For this reason I believe that Joe Paterno advocated hard for Rutgers to join the B10, an undisputable fact. The Penn State fans (at least the ones I know) sincerely root for Rutgers and want us to start winning. I believe OSU and Michigan is a Rivalry game, I believe USC and UCLA hate each other and I'm sure there are several in the SEC. Madhat's post is 100% correct, right now there's no rivalry.

Last edited:
Pitt, if played every year or close to it could become PSU's rivalry game until
RU starts showing the Nits that the Scar;let Knights can beat them any given game.
But ( correct me if I'm wrong Nit and Pitt fans) WV was Pitt's biggest rival until those programs stopped playing one another.
Rutgers being in the same conference and division has the better shot now for making the RU-PSU game (every year) known as one of the better rivalry games.
But RU fans and the B1G won't make that happen, the Scarlet Knights team will be the one to do that once they start beating the Nits and playing more competitively in just about every match-up with them.

Right now the rivalry is RU fans wanting it and PSU fans dreading Rutgers becomes good enough to become one in the eyes of the media.

If we played Pitt every year or at least 2 of 4 so every kid that came through our programs played a home and away game in the rivalry it would return to a 1st tier rivalry in no time. I do think Pitt-WVU was a bigger rivalry for those schools than Pitt-PSU. However, both seriers were 1st tier rivalries.

Honestly I think PSU-UMD has a better chance at developing into a 1st tier rivalry. The negative force is UMD has traditional rivalries from their ACC days that I think their fans are going to resist developing a new rivalry. They are still a border state and about the same distance but have been more competitive since joining the B1G and not just in football.

The advantage RU-PSU has is neither school really has a true rival so there is a void to be filled. But competitively it's going to struggle. Your stadium emptying and allowing our fans to take over the student section can never happen again. And I admit it was a douchey thing to do but it was a purposeful and deliberate display of dominance. But it's moments like those that add the fuel to develop a rivalry. Maryland not shaking hands in 2014 was a similar moment.

Contrary to what most seem to think I think most PSU fans want a rivalry game. They're more fun. Rivalries help bring out the best in each team.

The ingredients are there to develop a rivalry, but until we start beating them with frequency to the point they feel it is an accomplishment on their part to beat us, it's not a rivalry.

Reactions: RU31trap
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT