ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Think We Should Change Our Team Name To...

RutgersMO

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jun 24, 2001
Rutgers & NJ @ Heart
The Scarlet Choppers ... it's time. I'm tied to name SCARLET based on our history / the uniqueness factor.....but not crazy about Knights (there are plenty of teams with that moniker).

MO

Last edited:
Mo who lives in Missouri where they are the Tigers. Missouri is the 3rd most relevant Tigers in their own conference.

Reactions: BeantownKnight
Also as far as Scarlet Knights go, the Cannon and the Knight go hand in hand, RU’s revolutionary history with the Cannon it just all ties together. Plus a sword and an Axe also go together. UCF was the Golden Knights but are now just the Knights. Army has also changed their nickname to the Cadets (like the Navy Midshipmen), so no longer officially the Black Knights on the Hudson. So that pretty much just leaves us, and then there’s the Las Vegas Golden Knights hockey team which failed miserably not naming themselves the Golden Aces, or just the Vegas Aces. Or the Spades. Or anything besides what they did

IIRC, the only Knights are us, UCF, and depending on the year, Army. I know they change between Knights and something else (I did caveat with "IIRC" and refuse to Google it!)

So, not a fan of changing, sorry.

Hey Mo. keep it classy and stick to the reaction videos on YouTube. That’s your sweet spot.

Also as far as Scarlet Knights go, the Cannon and the Knight go hand in hand, RU’s revolutionary history with the Cannon it just all ties together. Plus a sword and an Axe also go together. UCF was the Golden Knights but are now just the Knights. Army has also changed their nickname to the Cadets (like the Navy Midshipmen), so no longer officially the Black Knights on the Hudson. So that pretty much just leaves us, and then there’s the Las Vegas Golden Knights hockey team which failed miserably not naming themselves the Golden Aces, or just the Vegas Aces. Or the Spades. Or anything besides what they did

Dave - you're telling me that a knight, in full (strangely red) armor, FROM THE MIDDLE AGES somehow goes hand in hand with a cannon and crew FROM THE REVOLUTIONARY WAR? Those two are several centuries removed from one-another. Also, the axe doesn't go with the sword. A mace on the other hand...

On a serious note, I keep thinking about a "checkerboard" pattern in the end zone (the kind that Tennessee does) but with Scarlet and White. I'm sure we'd be called "copycats". But, something needs to differentiate us from all of the other red / scarlet / whatever uniforms in this conference.

Reactions: ron313
The Red Scourge. Don't know what the actual mascot would look like maybe something like the Tulane Green Wave. To promote a terrifying battle cry we would have to win a bunch of games first.
Leave well enough alone.

giphy.gif

Reactions: rutgersguy1
Masque of the Red Death - that would be unique and get the English Department on our side.

Dave - you're telling me that a knight, in full (strangely red) armor, FROM THE MIDDLE AGES somehow goes hand in hand with a cannon and crew FROM THE REVOLUTIONARY WAR? Those two are several centuries removed from one-another. Also, the axe doesn't go with the sword. A mace on the other hand...

On a serious note, I keep thinking about a "checkerboard" pattern in the end zone (the kind that Tennessee does) but with Scarlet and White. I'm sure we'd be called "copycats". But, something needs to differentiate us from all of the other red / scarlet / whatever uniforms in this conference.

How'd you manage to out-MO MO in his own thread?

Checkerboard is the worst idea I've ever heard.

OMG! Give it a rest, please.

The Scarlet Knights are sacred, indivisible, one of a kind, and identified as only with Rutgers!

much the same with the Razorbacks. Only one school identified with EACH name.

Stay proud of who you are, no need to change anything!

On a serious note, I keep thinking about a "checkerboard" pattern in the end zone (the kind that Tennessee does) but with Scarlet and White. I'm sure we'd be called "copycats".
On not a serious note, with the holidays coming up how about Candy Stripes, you know, like on a Candy Cane.

• Haha
Reactions: ScarletDave
It’s the birthplace of college football

we should still be the Chanticleers!!!

Red and white checkerboard is Fresno State. Too late. Maybe we can go with red and white argyle and be the UNC of the north
cc25bdd8e6820de5b2eab0d4538d2619.jpg

• Haha

Agree with you. The Scarlet Knight never made any sense...Why would a medievil fighting unit pick the brightest color imaginable so they they could be seen clearly by their enemies from as far away as Mars?...and then our Scarlet Knight from the Middle Ages rides out on a horse with a Revolutionary cannon behind him....lol. I'd be fine with keeping the color and changing the nickname but I'd be afraid we'd wind up with the generic "Scarlet" or an even worse version of some politically correct ambiguous name like St. John's "Red Storm". I think we leave it alone and try not to think into too much....like I just did.

ADVERTISEMENT