ADVERTISEMENT

OT: This state is killing me.... $415 permit fee ...

DennisHajekRC84

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Aug 9, 2001
for a stinking square 16' x 16' deck ....to replace my existing old 12" x 10" deck

if I lied and said it was less expensive it would save $27 per 1K of expense.
if I lied and said I was doing it myself it would have been like $50.
I live in the middle of the woods and could have just not gotten it and rolled the dice.
Doing the right thing is hard in this state.

Capitol upgrade = no taxes..but > 3% fee (cough...TAX) to approve the work for somebody already being paid from my taxes to do so....of this doesn't include the $50 ZONING Approval Fee.

Pretty sure that's muni, not state.

you could very well be right....but when I asked the manager she said it was coming from the state system and called them when I questioned the math. Then again she couldn't tell me how a $25 per $1k fee on a $13K PROJECT equaled a $390 charge (I did my best to show her how 13 x $25 = $325 but she wouldn't have it and said "its the system lol)

Ha! I'm about to start a similar process. New construction of a front porch (completely new frame, decking, roof, etc). So far only the zoning application fee ($75) has been disclosed to me. I'll find out what the permit fee is soon. I'm in West Amwell, so pretty close to you (is Rocktown technically part of West Amwell?).

Like @RU4Real said that's municipal not state. Try buying a small farm then having the town tell you where you can put stuff and where you can't. At one point I threw my Survey plan at the Township Land Use and Planning Manger and said, "how about you design my fvcking farm". Everyone down at my Municipal Complex is an utter moron. However, the inspectors who come out are nice as can be.

you could very well be right....but when I asked the manager she said it was coming from the state system and called them when I questioned the math. Then again she couldn't tell me how a $25 per $1k fee on a $13K PROJECT equaled a $390 charge (I did my best to show her how 13 x $25 = $325 but she wouldn't have it and said "its the system lol)

That add'l $65 is the kickback, not itemized of course. lol

We're all looking forward to the pix of the large block R that will be painted on the deck.

Reactions: RUSK97
maybe they are giving your permit increase fees to certain Sanctuary cities to fund programs?
Murphy is a disaster.

Reactions: goru1869
All of the inspectors I dealt with are incredibly nice and knowledgeable. Also extremely helpful...I don’t think they are use to people being polite, honest and non combative....my wife and I offered them all iced tea, should have seen the look on their faces. Actually saved us some money...

On the hand, I have met very few municipal workers who were empathetic, caring, knowledgeable etc...I get it they are getting yelled at all day and are extremely frustrated by the day to day rigors of the job.

If it wasn’t for the inspectors dealing with the lady in our twp after we were extremely frustrated we probably would not be living in our house today.

I did some work in my house and the contractor said not to bother with the permits. I never got caught or anything but I realize now it will cause major headaches if/when I sell.

Ha! I'm about to start a similar process. New construction of a front porch (completely new frame, decking, roof, etc). So far only the zoning application fee ($75) has been disclosed to me. I'll find out what the permit fee is soon. I'm in West Amwell, so pretty close to you (is Rocktown technically part of West Amwell?).

yes and no. It is split between East and West by where route 31 USED to cut thru before they moved it back behind my property many moons ago. But East uses West for Construction Permits and Inspections. So say hi to Gail when you go in there. Good luck.

yes and no. It is split between East and West by where route 31 USED to cut thru before they moved it back behind my property many moons ago. But East uses West for Construction Permits and Inspections. So say hi to Gail when you go in there. Good luck.
Oh I've already had a couple chats with Gail. God speed to you as well.

Are they making you get an architect as well?

I did some work in my house and the contractor said not to bother with the permits. I never got caught or anything but I realize now it will cause major headaches if/when I sell.
Any contractor that tells you not to bother is either a crook or dumb as shit. Guys that are legit will guide you through the process to get it as low as possible.
Also- are you serious you only figured out now that it may be an issue when you sell???

Are they making you get an architect as well?

Any contractor that tells you not to bother is either a crook or dumb as shit. Guys that are legit will guide you through the process to get it as low as possible.
Also- are you serious you only figured out now that it may be an issue when you sell???
Not all work requires permits. For example, in many towns, renovating a bathroom does not require permits if drains and supply lines are not moved. Redoing the interior of a house does not require permits if walls are not being moved or added. Rebuilding or replacing a deck with the same footprint (I think) does not require a permit.
Always best to check with the town and not rely on someone else's word.

Reactions: koleszar and RUnTeX
Not all work requires permits. For example, in many towns, renovating a bathroom does not require permits if drains and supply lines are not moved. Redoing the interior of a house does not require permits if walls are not being moved or added. Rebuilding or replacing a deck with the same footprint (I think) does not require a permit.
Always best to check with the town and not rely on someone else's word.

correct.

Your contractor should know better to put a lower amount on the permit.

The exact reason why such over burdening regulations make no sense. People just find ways around them.

What business does the government have if someone wants to improve their home, outside of the new assessed value for property tax purposes?

Reactions: goru1869
Every town is different. Just go to your town's website and they will have the details, they should also have an office number you can call if case you have any questions.

Some things like water heater and central AC/heat units need both permits (normally whoever is doing the install it get these themselves) and an inspection afterwards, which you set-up, once it passes they place a sticker on the unit.

Oops sorry @Knight Shift. Permits? We didn't need no stinking permits.

Seriously, Masonry's a little different. If you're redoing your steps and don't require new footings there's nothing to inspect. Do a masonry patio all you need to do is check with Land Use and Planning for coverage. But there is no inspection. However, if you do a pedestrian sidewalk(town walkway) they want you to get a $25 dollar sidewalk permit. But they never come out to inspect it.

A good rule of thumb with masonry, if you're not changing the existing footprint you don't need a permit. @1984 will need new footings and is changing the footprint so he has to get a permit.

Oops sorry @Knight Shift. Permits? We didn't need no stinking permits.

Seriously, Masonry's a little different. If you're redoing your steps and don't require new footings there's nothing to inspect. Do a masonry patio all you need to do is check with Land Use and Planning for coverage. But there is no inspection. However, if you do a pedestrian sidewalk(town walkway) they want you to get a $25 dollar sidewalk permit. But they never come out to inspect it.

A good rule of thumb with masonry, if you're not changing the existing footprint you don't need a permit. @1984 will need new footings and is changing the footprint so he has to get a permit.
Permits? Those small light green pieces of paper with Ben Franklin's picture on them?

I am going to close in a basement window with cinder block. I wonder if I would need a permit

There are definitely codes as relate to basement windows and occupancy. So I dunno, but I'm thinkin' "maybe".

We've done major work that has been permitted and inspected - addition, pool, retaining wall. But we've also done minor work that probably should have required a permit but we didn't bother. I fully expect some level of grief when we go to sell it.

I am going to close in a basement window with cinder block. I wonder if I would need a permit

From the sound of things in some of these towns, you'll not only need a permit for that, but will soon have to pay a fee every time a person goes down the basement to use it.

I had to get a permit to have trees removed.
Is that normal?

Luckily our tree guy also does work for the town.
According to the permit we only had 1 large birch tree removed.
In actuality we had about 15 trees of various sizes removed.

Permit fees are first 3 trees free then $100 per tree unless you are replanting or trees deemed “hazardous” and/or “dead - diseased”.

As someone said above, seems most people/contractors lie on the permit to reduce or remove costs.
Very effective process.

I think I'll get the permit.

You probably need approval from the fire dept. Too (kidding but then again....)

Yeah, spending an extra $7500 to add an extra 24 sq. Ft. ...could have resurfaced and replaced railing myself for 6k and no permit. Smh...marriage lol.

I had to get a permit to have trees removed.
Is that normal?

Luckily our tree guy also does work for the town.
According to the permit we only had 1 large birch tree removed.
In actuality we had about 15 trees of various sizes removed.

Permit fees are first 3 trees free then $100 per tree unless you are replanting or trees deemed “hazardous” and/or “dead - diseased”.

As someone said above, seems most people/contractors lie on the permit to reduce or remove costs.
Very effective process.
In our district...yes. Hell...we've got 50 foot setbacks and 15 acre property minimum restrictions for any building.

If its an egress window, you cannot close it off. If it is not an egress window (or if you already have another means of egress), I cannot see why you would need a permit and I wouldn't get one. The town does not have a record of how many windows are in your basement.

Reactions: koleszar and RUnTeX
There are definitely codes as relate to basement windows and occupancy. So I dunno, but I'm thinkin' "maybe".

We've done major work that has been permitted and inspected - addition, pool, retaining wall. But we've also done minor work that probably should have required a permit but we didn't bother. I fully expect some level of grief when we go to sell it.

If you do not add bathrooms, add living space, or change the footprint, no one has any clue what you did to your house.

If you do not add bathrooms, add living space, or change the footprint, no one has any clue what you did to your house.

Well, it was new when we bought it. The original drawings are on file. I have no idea how much difference the intervening 24 years would make.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT