ADVERTISEMENT

OT- Ticket on NJ Turnpike

Originally posted by GoRutgersGo:
It's a lot cheaper to obey the traffic laws and not put others at risk.
barry.gif

Have her speak to the prosecutor and request he amend the charge to NJSA 39:4-56 (Delaying traffic). Its usually a $56 fine and $33 court costs. No surcharge and no points.

Originally posted by camdenlawprof:
Originally posted by RU4Real:

Originally posted by camdenlawprof:
try talking to the prosecuting DA at the hearing. Maybe he or she will let you plead to "careless driving," which carries no points. On the other hand, it means a huge fine. In effect, the state of New Jersey is blackmailing you; "pay us a whole lot of money and we won't tell anyone about it."
Careless driving absolutely carries points. What's more, it carries a hefty surcharge.

What you want to plea out to, if you're looking to just pay money and not have points, is called "Unsafe Operation". The prosecutors will agree to that with zero argument.

This post was edited on 3/11 7:49 PM by RU4Real
thanks for the correction . . . it's been a while since I've had to talk to a DA about it!
Try to negotiate to a violation of the obstruction of traffic statute:

39:4-67.
Obstruction of Traffic

39:4-67. Obstructing passage of other vehicles or street cars prohibited; clearance of intersections

No vehicle or street car shall be permitted by the owner or driver thereof to so occupy a street as to interfere with or interrupt the passage of other street cars or vehicles, nor shall the driver of a vehicle or street car drive such vehicle or street car into an intersection if preceding traffic prevents immediate clearance of the intersection.
Prosecutors used to agree to this all the time, even for speeding, because they got some money -- $80-90 -- and drivers got no points. But years go the NJ Supreme Court stopped the over-use of this statute by prosecutors for plea bargaining because what the statute prohibited -- obstructing traffic -- way too often had nothing to do with what the driver was charged with -- for example, speeding. In your case, you may be able to make an argument -- you obstructed traffic by clogging the left lane and not being able to move over. You can always try to fight, but you'll likely lose.

By the way, in response to the Supreme Court limiting the use of this statute for plea bargaining, the legislature created the "unsafe driving" statute that some here have mentioned. It carries with it no points (but you can use it only twice in five years), but has the hefty $400 surcharge. If you can't get the obstruction plea bargain, this may be your only other option for a plea. Otherwise, you fight.

This post was edited on 3/12 8:52 AM by willisneverrana43

"A minute or two" in the left lane is an eternity. "She" was in the wrong.

Originally posted by RUb-it-in:
Corrected: She is properly called a "LEFT LANE LOAFER!"
Ooooohhhhhh, I think if I was behind her, I could have thought up much more appropriate names than that.

Originally posted by HPNJRUfan:

That video never gets old.
I've seen it at least a thousand times and I laugh just as hard every time. NJSP at their best.
How in the hell have I missed that video for 4 whole years? That's brilliant!

Originally posted by DJ Spanky:
That video never gets old.
I can't believe I've never seen that - that was great!
I've seen the NJSP do it a few times. Always enjoy seeing it live

I'm not for reckless driving but someone not keeping up with the flow of traffic in the left or middle lanes usually leads to more chaos as people coming up fast are taken by surprise, especially in a state known for its "faster" drivers

Originally posted by RUsSKii:

Originally posted by Knight Shift:
I am familiar with municipal ticket and accepting a lower/no point violation. Anybody know how it works with a ticket from the State Police?

A friend at work had this happen. Worth going to court to plead to a lower offense?

Got a moving violation ticket on the jersey turnpike around Exit 9 for
"failure to yield to the right."
(39:4-88A).
When I got on the turnpike I generally move
into the center lane to avoid the cars merging onto the turnpike. I was in the center lane and moved into the
left lane to pass the guy in front of me who was going 60. When I moved into the left lane the police
officer pulled up behind me so I went 65 (the speed limit) and didn't go faster
for fear of getting a speeding ticket,
but at 65, I clearly couldn't get over because there were cars in the
center lane.

39:4-88A says: "A vehicle shall normally be driven in the lane nearest the right-hand
edge or curb of the roadway when that lane is available for travel,
except when overtaking another vehicle
."
To end my rant, I'll leave this informative link..
Looks like Route 78 near Watchung/Warren. And that is infuriating when cars drive that slowly in the left lane. I don't mind as much when there is a gap in the middle lane to go around them, but when they clog things up (as that driver did with the cop), few things get the blood going--stupidity is a damn disease, and camping out is stupidity. It's now a toss-up as to which state's drivers are the worst about camping out, as New York's used to be in 1st Place. But then PA's started catching up. I still have to give the nod to New Yorkers, as even the livery drivers camp out for miles at a clip.

...and there's the NJ law enforcer sense of entitlement that everyone here loves. That's his personal lane, RU1977, don't ever forget it.

Have never seen that Video...

Priceless. Should happen more often.

Hate the left lane cloggers
chairshot.r191677.gif

"But then PA's started catching up"
They have surpassed the New York drivers by leaps and bounds..I take 78 everyday and its amazing the problems PA drivers cause by hanging out in the left lane.

Originally posted by billhobo:
...and there's the NJ law enforcer sense of entitlement that everyone here loves. That's his personal lane, RU1977, don't ever forget it.
Hey, at least according to this thread, that Trooper probably could have actually pulled the car over and ticketed them. Instead, the driver gets freaked out, confused, and hopefully learns a lesson, while everyone else gets a laugh and a newly cleared left lane. He's cool in my book.

Originally posted by billhobo:
This is silly. He was clearing the lane because some idiot was sitting in it, holding up traffic and breaking the law.

ADVERTISEMENT