ADVERTISEMENT

OT: TikTok Phenomenon Revives 8-year old punk/pop song, "Freaks," by Surf Curse...

RU848789

Legend
Gold Member
Jul 27, 2001
Metuchen, NJ
I know we have a lot of music threads, but I thought this was such a cool/unusual story that it might be worth its own thread. "Freaks" is actually an 8-year old song from the pop/punk band Surf Curse (who have been around for years and have had some play on SiriusXMU), which I vaguely reall from years ago, but which now has become a phenomenon, via TikTok, with 150 million + views. I've never actually watched TikTok until today when this story came across my FB feed, so I asked my son's girlfriend, who is a TikTok nut, and she said, oh yeah, it's all over TikTok and she loves it. I'm way behind on pop culture, lol.

Cool story about the song's history in the link below and the "video" is also below (song is now in Spotify's top 50, so I wonder if they'll do a "real" video for it) - the linked video is something someone put together with clips from the 2016 film 20th Century Women, which is set in 1979 and features a fantastic punk soundtrack, so setting the scenes to "Freaks" is pretty damn cool (very good film, too). Love this tune and they have a bunch of other good songs, too. Enjoy.

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/music/story/2021-07-19/surf-curse-freaks-tik-tok

Wow, no posts. Ok, here's another song with a somewhat similar history that went from a fairly obscure indie track ("Coffee") by UK/Filipina artist Beabadoobee to a viral TikTok phenomenon and worldwide hit, renamed "Death Bed (Coffee for your Head)," in early 2020, as Canadian rapper Powfu added some lo-fi raps/beats to it.

https://www.cbc.ca/music/how-a-song...-bed-and-its-steady-rise-to-the-top-1.5607847

It's fascinating how songs can now take very non-traditional routes directly from the artist to the world via social media, bypassing the usual record label support model. The most famous example of this might be Lil Nas X, whose "Old Town Road" became a runaway viral phenomenon on TikTok and YouTube before becoming the longest-running No. 1 song in Billboard chart history.

ADVERTISEMENT