ADVERTISEMENT

OT-Tough Year for Michigan

RU Husky

All Conference
Sep 26, 2011
No bowl game and no NCAA hoops tourny in the same sports year. That must be a near all-time low for them-at least in the last 25 years. With their sports budget, winning tradition, salary structure, facilities,fan support and annual expectations, this must a bit much for them. I know they had a NCAA dry spell in hoops in the late 90's-early 2000's, but I'm not sure whether they've had a season where they've been shut out in both major revenue sports over the last 25-30 years.

We all know that RU hasn't been to the dance since 1991, but that's still not the worst in the conference. Northwestern has never made the NCAA tournament (they've hosted it). Of the P5 schools, I think Oregon State also has a longer dry spell-their last appearance was in 1990. The way things are going on the hoops side, it would not surprise me that either or both of them will be dancing before RU does again.

Edit- Just checked and it looks like it wasn't so long ago that UM was shut out- No bowl game and no NCAA in sports year 2008 (probably RichRod and Beilein)

This post was edited on 3/13 3:04 PM by RU Husky

Yes, tough year for Michigan. Basketball is in good shape. Beilein is a great coach. Injuries were the main problem this year. And I think it is safe to say football will be back on track before too long.

ADVERTISEMENT