ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Tour de France started this morning

Interesting to see Lance Armstrong being rehabilitated by The Tour

Low US ratings will do that. When Armstrong was racing, US TV ratings were over 600k a day. They fell to 300k a day after the retirement. No US riders have been doing well at all the last years. Time to roll out Lance lol

Reactions: mikefla
Interesting to see Lance Armstrong being rehabilitated by The Tour
I was shocked to see Armstrong on the tour coverage so far this year as I figured he'd at least have to do a few more years penance before anyone would give him time - ash..... is probably right. Plus with only 4 American riders in the tour, that can't help. Back to Lance, a friend of mine suggested Betsy Andreau be given equal time :) I'll admit to listening to his podcast a few times last year and thought he and George were pretty good.

And I agree with the previous poster (WB?) that Bob Roll is doing a really job in the sorely missed Paul Sherwen seat.

Reactions: WhiteBus and zoby
That finish to yesterday's stage was as difficult as any one I can remember and I've been watching since the Greg LeMond days. 24% gradient at the end, even for a relatively short distance, is just insane.

Reactions: ashokan and zoby
It's on NBCSH. Started at 4:29 this morning. I record it and watch at leisure
There are other Rutgers fans who watch the TdF? I’m all in! I started watching during the the Lance years and love the sheer magnitude of the event, the weird traditions, the team/individual interplay, etc. Hate the doping scandals but it’s still an amazing race.

There are other Rutgers fans who watch the TdF? I’m all in! I started watching during the the Lance years and love the sheer magnitude of the event, the weird traditions, the team/individual interplay, etc. Hate the doping scandals but it’s still an amazing race.
I hope there are more than just us! We need to keep this thread going.

Reactions: kjbikes
Like someone said in a previous post, going to Paris and seeing the finish is in the bucket list.

I ride one day events out here in CA and can’t imagine riding another 100 miles the next day and the next day and so on. Riding the 100 is just as much mental as it is physical. The guys that ride the tour are tough.

Reactions: zoby
What kind of bike does everyone here ride? Got my first "10 speed" Schwinn La Tour, my senior year at Rutgers [1975] when a judge took away my drivers license for breaking about 7 laws riding my Indian motorcycle. Said he would throw me in Rahway if he caught me driving in New Jersey. Next was a steel Bianchi [with of course down tube shifters] which I rode for 34 years til I got hit by SUV. Now I have a steel Bianchi Vigorelli. 105s work perfectly for me. Ride about 3500 miles ayear. Enjoy group rides on the weekend. Sometimes 10 people show up, sometimes 50. Can still spin 50 miles in a peloton going 20 -22 mph.

Last edited:
Reactions: ashokan
What kind of bike does everyone here ride? Got my first "10 speed" Schwinn La Tour, my senior year at Rutgers [1975] when a judge took away my drivers license for breaking about 7 laws riding my Indian motorcycle. Said he would throw me in Rahway if he caught me driving in New Jersey. Next was a steel Bianchi [with of course down tube shifters] which I rode for 34 years til I got hit by SUV. Now I have a steel Bianchi Vigorelli. 105s work perfectly for me. Ride about 3500 miles ayear. Enjoy group rides on the weekend. Sometimes 10 people show up, sometimes 50. Can still spin 50 miles in a peleton going 20 -22 mph.

Specialized Roubaix - Ultegra

What kind of bike does everyone here ride? Got my first "10 speed" Schwinn La Tour, my senior year at Rutgers [1975] when a judge took away my drivers license for breaking about 7 laws riding my Indian motorcycle. Said he would throw me in Rahway if he caught me driving in New Jersey. Next was a steel Bianchi [with of course down tube shifters] which I rode for 34 years til I got hit by SUV. Now I have a steel Bianchi Vigorelli. 105s work perfectly for me. Ride about 3500 miles ayear. Enjoy group rides on the weekend. Sometimes 10 people show up, sometimes 50. Can still spin 50 miles in a peleton going 20 -22 mph.
Trek 5000 the first of their OCLV carbon fiber frames. Have changed components over the years and newer Mavic wheels. Got rid of the standard road handle bars and raised them as well for a much more comfortable ride.
Work weekends so most rides are solo. Advantage riding solo about is I can change route on the fly. Downside is I'm out front pulling the whole way.
At 1,200 mile so far this year. Have no target for miles this year's but have several long rides (60miles +) I like to get done. Rode around Saratoga and up to Saratoga National Park this week. They have an 11 mile road loop with great views. (don't let the 9 mile sign fool you, it's longer and hilly).

What kind of bike does everyone here ride? Got my first "10 speed" Schwinn La Tour, my senior year at Rutgers [1975] when a judge took away my drivers license for breaking about 7 laws riding my Indian motorcycle. Said he would throw me in Rahway if he caught me driving in New Jersey. Next was a steel Bianchi [with of course down tube shifters] which I rode for 34 years til I got hit by SUV. Now I have a steel Bianchi Vigorelli. 105s work perfectly for me. Ride about 3500 miles ayear. Enjoy group rides on the weekend. Sometimes 10 people show up, sometimes 50. Can still spin 50 miles in a peloton going 20 -22 mph.
'83 or '84 Celeste Bianchi Alloro. Swapped out most of the components for a friend's Shimano 600 stuff several years ago. Bike is not light but it looks great and rides so well, I can't part with it.

Speaking of weird traditions, I noticed awhile ago that bike racers rarely have tattoos. I still haven't seen one this year. This week I noticed that I dont see tats on spectators either - at least not on the non-urban roads

Speaking of weird traditions, I noticed awhile ago that bike racers rarely have tattoos. I still haven't seen one this year. This week I noticed that I dont see tats on spectators either - at least not on the non-urban roads
Hmm - never noticed that but you’re right. Not aerodynamic? The ink is too heavy? They get destroyed by road rash? Haha

Reactions: ashokan
Wow. The best stage of 2019 so far. Usually the day before the rest is wild but that was awesome.

I have follower the TDF since Greg LeMond years and more so during the Lance years. I LOVE the visuals with the beautiful small towns. During the LA years I lived in the UK & followed by van a few years...watching finishes then getting to the next finish town in time to get the free food samples, wine and chocolates they give out in advance of each venue finish. On some of the mountain finishes I would park my campervan near the end to see the contenders struggling UP the huge inclines,,,it was amazing.

Think about it,,,+/- 21/23 days.....in July.....2,000+ miles.... UP HILL

I would HAVE to have major drugs...just to finish

14671183_151879148608879_3881224845735937049_n.jpg
23000340_334218843708241_8030238774675033858_o.jpg

Old school, notice the 1950s style Zefal pump

zoby,
Nice bike. Celeste is the best bike color ever, imo. I still have the same style pump that yours has, came with the bike, still works well, Celeste color, Bianchi shield in gold on it. Impero might be the brand.

About a year ago, I changed the saddle. Now have a Brooks Swift. Love it. Added a quarter pound of weight, but lost I 10 pounds in the next two months.
Wout van Aert, while leading in the Individual Time Trails, crashes and is out of the race!

Last edited:
First, Bob Roll is doing a fine job.. but I do miss Paul Sherwen, (RIP)

sorry, I hate seeing Armstrong...and just fast forward past it.........

First, Bob Roll is doing a fine job.. but I do miss Paul Sherwen, (RIP)

sorry, I hate seeing Armstrong...and just fast forward past it.........
I mentioned Bob Roll earlier and he has been great. But Paul Scherwen is very missed and Roll would be the first to say it.
I expect a big tribute by the NBCSports on the lead into Paris.

Part of yesterday's interview with Bradley Wiggins during Stage 16 cracked me up. He was talking about what an interesting tour this has been so far this year and, when asked about what it was like when Sky was winning the tour year after year after year, he basically said he didn't give a crap how boring it was as long as they were winning.

It's been a seriously hot last two days. Will be an interesting 3 days starting tomorrow.

Everyone keeps trying to write Alaphilippe off, but he keeps proving them wrong.
Tomorrow is the day.
What has helped him is that his main rival and last year's TDF champ Geraint Thomas has had 3 major falls this year. Two in the TDF with one recently.

I hope Allaphilippe wins. Everybody keeps saying this is the day he get knocks out. Everyday he makes one big move to keep his lead. How about that descent?

I hope Allaphilippe wins. Everybody keeps saying this is the day he get knocks out. Everyday he makes one big move to keep his lead. How about that descent?
That descent was awesome...and dangerous at the same time.

Reactions: kjbikes
One of my favorite riders, Tony Martin [PanzerWagon], got screwed. Should not have been kicked out of Tour.

I can't imagine riding in weather like that. They postponed the BMX World Championships in Belgium for heat.

That descent was awesome...and dangerous at the same time.
Agree - I love to descend (although I’ve never tried huge mountains like that) and I was holding my breath each time he approached a corner.

Wow- controversy today. Yellow jersey changes. Stage stopped early. Snow, hail. Enjoying the fact we are through so many stages and there is no Froome to have it locked up already.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT