ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Town Recommendations

Murphy regularly hangs out in Metuchen. His former COS was the mayor. While his time as governor will come to an end at some point Metuchen will stay.
Who got fired within a few months. Metuchen will be gone within 5-10 years.

So it looks like my company may be moving a few of us from Boston to New York at some point over the next year or two. I'm looking for recommendations on towns to look into. I grew up in Middletown, so I know the Monmouth County area reasonably well, but I'm open to other alternative areas if it makes sense.

A few things about our situation and what would be important:
1. Reasonable commute to Midtown.
2. Not a super congested area and a nice downtown within a reasonable distance (something as large as Red Bank but could be smaller).
3. We have a 7 month old...so good schools and reasonable property taxes.
4. Open to places outside of NJ (Long Island (feel dirty saying that), Connecticut, NY State)), but with family in NJ, all else fairly equal, NJ would get the nod.
5. Budget-wise, we have a budget that should work in most places, even if we have one of the more modest homes. I'd rather the worst house in a great area than the best house in a bad area.

Wife is from Iowa, but we currently live in Back Bay Boston and were in the Minneapolis suburbs before that. Boston has surprised us by not being too busy and when we go down to New York, my wife always comments how busy and high energy it is, so all things considered, something that doesn't feel too busy is ideal.

Any suggestions appreciated.
Basking Ridge is the best kept secret between Warren and Mendham--come take a look but don't tell anyone about it. NJ Transit commute might be a bit long to NYC Penn St, about 1 1/2 hr.

Graduate of Middletown South. Like the feel of Monmouth County (Middletown, Fair Haven, Rumson, Colts Neck, Marlboro) but the office is in Midtown by Times Square. So taking the train and a subway doesn't appeal too much (pretty long commute). Not sure how the boat/subway would look as a commute.

I know a bit about north of Driscoll Bridge New Jersey, but not enough to really know what are the good commutes, places the wife would like, etc.

i live in time square and commute to the shore on weekends. It’s 1 hr 22 minutes to Penn Station from Redbank. It’s 51 minutes from Summit to Penn Station. Train will be pricey. But it’s not that bad a commute. From Penn Station you can just walk it, because it’s close enough.

another option is to live in Bergen County and drive roughly 1/2 an hour to the Vince Lombardi Park and Ride. That puts into play towns like Tenafly, Teaneck, Demarest, and Closter. Bus is much cheaper and its roughly a half hour to Port Authority. On Fridays I would drive in, because there wasn’t much traffic on the GWB.

ive heard boat is great but pricey. Good Luck.

another option is to live in Bergen County and drive roughly 1/2 an hour to the Vince Lombardi Park and Ride. That puts into play towns like Tenafly, Teaneck, Demarest, and Closter. Bus is much cheaper and its roughly a half hour to Port Authority. On Fridays I would drive in, because there wasn’t much traffic on the GWB.

I did that 20 years ago, so things may have changed. But while ride in was great, the ride out was often subject to long waits when the busses headed back into the PA got caught up in inbound traffic at the Lincoln Tunnel.

Reactions: BigWill
I live in Caldwell right now too . Also lived in Madison and my wife took the train when she worked in the city . Like others have said , if she missed a train , that would add at least another 45 minutes on to the commute . It got old quick and once we have kids , she switched jobs . Both Madison and Caldwell are great with nice downtowns and close to the city but the commutes suck despite being not to fat from the city . My brother in law lives a few blocks from me in north Caldwell and drives into the city for work ( not since march) and has been doing it forever . He gets home consistently at 730/8 or later . Not fun despite making a ton of money .
Yeah I miss it. Had to move for work and the wife too. Small town vibe. Great downtown. Super cool old big architecturally significant houses and down to earth people. It’s also sandwhichee between rich (north Caldwell) and filthy dripping rich (Essex fells). Also Grover Cleveland park is so nice. Miss that too.

Reactions: Shell21
Basking Ridge is the best kept secret between Warren and Mendham--come take a look but don't tell anyone about it. NJ Transit commute might be a bit long to NYC Penn St, about 1 1/2 hr.
If this wfh becomes a more permanent thing I’m heading your way. BR is a nice town. I won’t mind the 90min ride if I’m only going in once a week.

I moved back to NJ 5 years ago with a similar list - I'm a researcher so here is an excel file that may be helpful.

I cared most about train & schools. In end distance to my in-laws was the final decision.

Link
That is an awesome document, and it is very nice of you to share!

Based on everything OP said, New Providence is the best fit. I think Maple is a close second. It's better in every aspect other than schools and taxes.

I did that 20 years ago, so things may have changed. But while ride in was great, the ride out was often subject to long waits when the busses headed back into the PA got caught up in inbound traffic at the Lincoln Tunnel.

it still is an issue, which can be mitigated by leaving work after rush hour.

Thanks everyone. A lot to sift through. We've got at least a year so we can be thoughtful and patient but it's helpful to see some of the same places come up again and again.

I'm mostly dreading a commute since I currently walk to work, but at some point we'd move from boston to the burbs anyway so the status quo was always going to change.

If this wfh becomes a more permanent thing I’m heading your way. BR is a nice town. I won’t mind the 90min ride if I’m only going in once a week.

jmc11201 - since you have a lax helmet as an avatar you should give BR a look - high level lax, a great town with top notch schools.

BR resident since '95, but only until next spring/summer when the youngest graduates Ridge HS. Will have a gently used house with plenty of room with all the pool, patio and deck you would ever need for entertaining. Just sayin...

Love it there..
9hCOZAG.jpg

Nice park ;)

I think your family will really like Madison. If fits all the requirements except for commute.

I think your family will really like Madison. If fits all the requirements except for commute.
TBH, even though I am from Montville and mentioned it is a great town, the first town I thought of was Madison, the Rose City. Great town in NJ. The only concern I would have is public transportation is more limited than say Montville because Montville is very close to Wayne Park and Ride.

TBH, even though I am from Montville and mentioned it is a great town, the first town I thought of was Madison, the Rose City. Great town in NJ. The only concern I would have is public transportation is more limited than say Montville because Montville is very close to Wayne Park and Ride.
Yeah...poking around this morning and it looks like a nice option. Looks like an hour on the train...a bit less expensive than Summit/Chatham, 20 minutes to the airport/Prudential Center, nice looking downtown. Definitely one to put on the list.

Reactions: wisr01
Your baby is so young that 5 years till school is a LONG time to go with what is happening these days.

I would rent in the East 70's in Manhattan, till kid needs to hit Kinder or First Grade. RE taxes are so onerous now in both NY and NJ that it's worth considering changing careers or jobs and living elsewhere in the US.

How far is your final location from Port Authority/Penn Station/Grand Central/ferry boat docks has to be taken into consideration. Is it walkable, MTA, cab, uber ? My first job in NYC was at Saks and took bus from Bloomfield (hour with express bus lane) and would walk (10min) or take the MTA depending on the weather.

I've commuted by Ferry, Car, Bus, Train and Helicopter. Never lived in Manhattan which would have made the most sense in commute time, commute costs and probably quality of life.

Your baby is so young that 5 years till school is a LONG time to go with what is happening these days.

I would rent in the East 70's in Manhattan, till kid needs to hit Kinder or First Grade. RE taxes are so onerous now in both NY and NJ that it's worth considering changing careers or jobs and living elsewhere in the US.

How far is your final location from Port Authority/Penn Station/Grand Central/ferry boat docks has to be taken into consideration. Is it walkable, MTA, cab, uber ? My first job in NYC was at Saks and took bus from Bloomfield (hour with express bus lane) and would walk (10min) or take the MTA depending on the weather.

I've commuted by Ferry, Car, Bus, Train and Helicopter. Never lived in Manhattan which would have made the most sense in commute time, commute costs and probably quality of life.
50th and Broadway

I never liked commuting on a daily basis by helicopter either so decide on NJ Trans instead.

Reactions: RU205
50th and Broadway
i had a client there several years ago. its only 2 stops on the red line from Penn Station. about a 10 min walk from PA Bus Terminal when it's not rush hour. More like 15 if it is. The wall of people walking down 8th ave is pain to deal with. i would actually take the subway that 1 stop to get to PA just to avoid the sweaty mess of people walking.

What's the commute look like? Doesn't look too far out from NYC on the map.
NJ Transit will tell you the train takes 57 min. What they don't tell you is that it will only be on time 5% of the time. The majority of the time (70%) it will take you 1:10 min. The good news is that it is it's a direct train so you can get some stuff done. The actual distance is irrelevant in NJ/NY area. Everything I said so far only pertains to the commute into the city. For leaving the city, add 15 mins to everything and subtract the percentages by half. You do not want to know what happens the rest of the time. But the town is great for family, good public schools and property taxes is much better than nearby options.

NJ Transit will tell you the train takes 57 min. What they don't tell you is that it will only be on time 5% of the time. The majority of the time (70%) it will take you 1:10 min. The good news is that it is it's a direct train so you can get some stuff done. The actual distance is irrelevant in NJ/NY area. Everything I said so far only pertains to the commute into the city. For leaving the city, add 15 mins to everything and subtract the percentages by half. You do not want to know what happens the rest of the time. But the town is great for family, good public schools and property taxes is much better than nearby options.
Also, trains on the Morris-Essex line travel at much slower speeds than on the NEC line. Not sure about the NJCL or the Bergen lines, but even though actual miles from Morristown/Madison/Chatham are fewer than say, Middlesex or Mercer county, the commute from Metropark or Princeton Jct can be about the same.

Reactions: T2Kplus10
This. Biggest problem with the city commute.

Reactions: MoobyCow
Seastreak from Atlantic Highlands or Highlands is the ABSOLUTE BEST way to commute to NYC. Rumson, Fair Haven, Middletown, Little Silver all close by. If you must commute & can afford to pay a little more of a premium you will never go back to any other way of getting in and out of NYC.

50th and Broadway
Oh, so you could throw a football to Port Authority. You might want to consider Edgewater. It's got stunning views, albeit a little busier than some others, they have free weekday bus service for residents to the Edgewater Ferry stop, drops you off at 39th St. That's an easy walk, and a better ride than the bus (although costlier). They've got an elementary school in town, but send high schoolers - which is years down the line for you guys - to Leonia H.S.

Last edited:
Reactions: NotInRHouse
50th and Broadway

I work just east of there in Rock Plaza. I walk from Penn which is really not much longer than jumping on a subway. I commute in from Rockville Centre on the LIRR (people in NJ hate LI and they think NJ is a cesspool). Train station in town, 38 minute train ride, and then the walk to the office. About an hour door to door. Good town, good schools, close to the beach, restaurants, etc. but traffic can be brutal. Given the location of your family, I would stay in NJ as driving to visit my relatives requires driving on the notorious Belt Parkway, then thru Staten Island.

Also, trains on the Morris-Essex line travel at much slower speeds than on the NEC line. Not sure about the NJCL or the Bergen lines, but even though actual miles from Morristown/Madison/Chatham are fewer than say, Middlesex or Mercer county, the commute from Metropark or Princeton Jct can be about the same.
NE Corridor is just as bad. Add 10 to 15 min to what NJ transit tells you.

Reactions: T2Kplus10
Moved back to NJ from the west coast about 2 years ago. Pre COVID - would take the Seastreak Ferry into Manhattan, get off at Wall St & take the 2/3 up to 34th street. Ferry is amazing - 1 time in 2 years it wasn't running on time. Enjoyable commute - but pricey. If we ever go back into city, will likely stay on the ferry until East 35th & walk over to the west side to avoid the subway. Regardless - after doing the ferry I would never, ever set foot on NJ Transit again. Did that for 8 years from Princeton Junction & Metropark. Worst years of my adult life.

Loved the Ferry, nap on the way in, cold beers on the way back. Getting to the parking lot was the pain.

50th and Broadway

Wife working ?

If not, E 73 to 85, so she can use baby carriage to Central Park.

Sister lived on E 49 at First and walked to work every day off Fifth, but UN raises rents in that area.

Good thing about Manhattan is that you can dump the car/cars and save all those expenses.....need an occasional car for a day outing ? Zipcar works.

Quality of life on the commute ? 1 1/2 hours each way, and I know people that would fight for that number is 15 hours a week. 15 x52 weeks and now your talking some days off your life being annoyed at best, at worst sweating out missing a meeting because 'something' happened that you can't control or even know what happened.

I'm talking myself into moving into the city ?

Last edited:
If your office is 50th and Broadway the best commutes will probably be into the Port Authority on a bus. So maybe a town like Montclair or Fort Lee that's closer into the city with a shorter ride.

Another alternative which someone mentioned is the ferry from Edgewater to 39th Street...Edgewater is more city like but goes to Leonia HS which I believe is rated pretty well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT