ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Town Recommendations

Do you actually do this commute? I've been told it takes over 30 minutes to get out of the metropark parking garage in the evening.

I always recc scouting out the actual commute times by DOING the commute door to door BEFORE putting down a check.

IT"s almost always WORSE than you thought.

Cars to commute to your commute, ....what's car Insur prorated a month in NJ these days ? What's the parking cost per month to park ?

How much longer will your property taxes be allowed as a tax deduction as State and Federal Govts look for more of your money. (I don't own homes anymore, I'm a Remora.).

I am also informed by some local RE agents in NJ and Conn that there IS an escape going on from NYC by couples that can leave. John had 3 homes bought under his bid in the 3 weeks it took him to go under contract in Conn, all by NYC escapees. They rented their home off exit 109 for 2 years (the renters begged for a 2 yr deal) in less than 2 days, again from NYC working Drs with 2 kids. So it is a seller's market in the NYC areas in the surrounding 70 mile circle. Beacon NY is $urging from the Metro North trains there.

I always recc scouting out the actual commute times by DOING the commute door to door BEFORE putting down a check.

Cars to commute to your commute, ....what's car Insur prorated a month in NJ these days ? What's the parking cost per month to park ?

How much longer will your property taxes be allowed as a tax deduction as State and Federal Govts look for more of your money. (I don't own homes anymore, I'm a Remora.).

I am also informed by some local RE agents in NJ and Conn that there IS an escape going on from NYC by couples that can leave. John had 3 homes bought under his bid in the 3 weeks it took him to go under contract in Conn, all by NYC escapees. They rented their home off exit 109 for 2 years (the renters begged for a 2 yr deal) in less than 2 days, again from NYC working Drs with 2 kids. So it is a seller's market in the NYC areas in the surrounding 70 mile circle. Beacon NY is $urging from the Metro North trains there.
According to some on this board, everybody is trying to escape New Jersey, Connecticut and New York so home prices must be going down. I guess the 5-8% of people that moved to NYC the last 10 years are now deciding to move back to the NJ and Connecticut suburbs.

Base on this board, they are moving from other states or outside the metro areas to New Jersey.

Last edited:

I'm hoping to wait out the coronavirus rush. Company has a Paris office, so I'm considering requesting a two year stint there while my daughter is still well below school age. Would be a fun alternative, save me some money (rent there isn't cheap, but I could sell my place here, sit on the cash, and my monthly nut would be better than buying and maintaining a home). If that isn't an option, a move could happen as soon as next summer. But I've definitely been hearing/reading about the exodus from NYC into the burbs.

Caldwell/west caldwell- youll drive to park and ride 5 mins away thats a direct shot bus to port authority good down town

If you really got coin though, Summit offers literally everything you want
Will definitely give Summit a look. The nice thing is we've already done the 4,000+ square foot house and quite frankly would prefer something smaller. We are not looking for an ego purchase as much as a lifestyle purchase, so something smaller in a nice town is preferable to me than a massive house elsewhere.

I don't know the Summit parking situation. But i guess Uber is hassle free for her and she was doing it 3 times a week (not Wednesday or Friday).
Summit actually has a none residential lot. Not sure about availability or if it's first come first serve. The town was smart enough to build a parking deck to address commuter parking. The town was even smarter when residential lots were over sold, they provided free Lyft rides to the train station for prepaid parking customers.

Will definitely give Summit a look. The nice thing is we've already done the 4,000+ square foot house and quite frankly would prefer something smaller. We are not looking for an ego purchase as much as a lifestyle purchase, so something smaller in a nice town is preferable to me than a massive house elsewhere.
This is more or less the deal in Cranford. Between taxes and high demand, you don’t get a whole lot for your money. The trade off is the manageable commute, great downtown, community, etc. My brother in laws are paying about the same as me in monmouth county but have a lot more space inside and outside. The desire to have that size house/yard priced them out of Cranford. I have a cousin who wanted a certain kind of house in Westfield, but ended up in Edison, because that’s where he was able to afford it. It’s the choices we make though.
We were lucky to get into a house in Cranford super-cheap because it was a shoebox and needed work. We’ve since expanded and upgraded and it’s still small but we were able to work it into a place that works for our family.
Just heard a story of a nice house in a nice neighborhood here that was listed at $610k, person I know put an offer for $10k over asking and got outbid by about 10 people. Realtor said unless he’s willing to go in at $50k over asking, don’t even bother. Full disclosure, I’m hearing this story 3rd hand and I thought realtors weren’t supposed to disclose other bid amounts, but the jist of it sounds about right for this town right now.

You must be mistaken there is an entire thread telling us that no one is going to NYC anymore

Towns I like and am familiar with
Summit
Chatham
Westfield
Cranford
New Providence
Madison
I moved from Westfield to Denville and love it! Lots of outdoor places (great county park system) Downtown Denville is small but nice. some very good restaurants in the area such as the Resevoir Tavern and Hunan taste in the local area. Morristown is a short drive away. lots of things to do in the area plus the drive to spring lake is an 1:15 depending on traffic. The only thing is the train ride to manhattan is 90 minutes each way so just be aware. Mountain Lakes is right next door so if you have the big bucks, one of the most beautiful communities I have ever seen in NJ!

AH is full of PWT and awful school systems. Pass.
Where many of the druggies come from to Bayshore Hospital ER.
I think you are mixing highlands with Atlantic highlands my friend. You hav3 not been to Atlantic highlands lately.

+1 i tested the commute from towns I was considering. This way you get a feel for the delays, parking, crowds, etc. If it sucked worse than I was willing to deal with, we crossed it off the list. I agree that it will always be worse than it looks on paper.

Mary Anne works a couple of days a week in Beacon, NY.

She thinks Metro-North is about a hour commute into Grand Central.

Beacon is having a revival in homes, upgrades of Victorian old homes, many small restaurants, coffee type shops.

Reactions: jtung230
OP's office is on 50th and Broadway.

IMO his best best is NJ. He'd have to take the subway from Grand Central (Metro North) or Penn (LIRR).

OTOH- he could take the ferry to W39 or bus to PABT (42 & 8) and cut out the transfer.

To me he should stick to NJ. Maybe Rockland County if there's a good bus. I'm not too familiar with their buses but I have seen them in the tunnel.

I'm hoping to wait out the coronavirus rush. Company has a Paris office, so I'm considering requesting a two year stint there while my daughter is still well below school age. Would be a fun alternative, save me some money (rent there isn't cheap, but I could sell my place here, sit on the cash, and my monthly nut would be better than buying and maintaining a home). If that isn't an option, a move could happen as soon as next summer. But I've definitely been hearing/reading about the exodus from NYC into the burbs.
Paris is one of my favorite cities in the world, BUT consider what your wife is going to do. If your wife isn't out-going she'll be cooped up in the apartment all day waiting for you to come home. Ex-Pat community is not what it once was (but Harry's Bar is still there). I don't think Paris has the equivalent of a Mommy & Me Yoga class. If she can speak even a little French, the shopkeeps and neighborhood people love children and it would be a two year adventure. You won't save money, though. You'll blow it on food and travel and having a great life.
I had an opportunity in London a few years back but I turned it down because our kid is my wife's family's only grandchild, London rents are ridiculous, and street crime is out of control. Turns out my father-in-law died young and unexpected so we were glad for the time they had together.

Not sure if the new work from home model will be adopted by your company but as others have said HP, Metuchen, Westfield, Cranford, Scotch Plains, Fanwood. Maybe Montclair, but that could be more expensive.
I think all those other towns you mentioned are just as expensive as Montclair.

I think all those other towns you mentioned are just as expensive as Montclair.
I would need to do further research but I don’t believe all those towns have as expensive property taxes as Montclair.

By the way, commuting into NYC blows. No matter where you live or what mode of transportation you use, it blows. Now, in the current corona environment, it is dangerous as well. Can you WFH or maybe even change companies to avoid NYC?

Just something to think about.

Ppl that commute to nyc are nuts. I did it for 8 months and would never do it again, not for 500k/year. At least I was able to cut commuting expenses which I enjoyed doing. Out here had a 3 mile commute ( 10 minutes home to desk) before COVID now wfh for foreseeable future. Oh that’s another thing, I really don’t do much work but still get paid the same. Life is good

Reactions: T2Kplus10
Paris is one of my favorite cities in the world, BUT consider what your wife is going to do. If your wife isn't out-going she'll be cooped up in the apartment all day waiting for you to come home. Ex-Pat community is not what it once was (but Harry's Bar is still there). I don't think Paris has the equivalent of a Mommy & Me Yoga class. If she can speak even a little French, the shopkeeps and neighborhood people love children and it would be a two year adventure. You won't save money, though. You'll blow it on food and travel and having a great life.
I had an opportunity in London a few years back but I turned it down because our kid is my wife's family's only grandchild, London rents are ridiculous, and street crime is out of control. Turns out my father-in-law died young and unexpected so we were glad for the time they had together.
Paris is my favorite place I've ever visited so far. Loved everything about it - folks know how to enjoy life there.

Anyway, for the OP, tons of great towns with nice downtowns and good schools. I Haven't read the whole thread, but if nobody posted it, take a look at the City-Data forum for NJ - it's a great forum for finding out a lot about different towns.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/new-jersey/

We're partial to Metuchen, obviously, as the downtown is very nice/walkable with some excellent restaurants and an active arts scene and the schools are very good, plus my wife originally worked in the City for a couple of years and being on the NEC is a nice plus (I know some lines used to require transfers in Newark - not sure that's still the case) - and it was a great location for me, working 30+ years in Rahway, but still being close to RU, both for attending RU games and many of the things I've done with the University over the years. Our son's daycare was across the street, which was great, as commuting is not quality time, and we became friends with a group of about 6-7 other couples through daycare and our kids were all friends growing up (at least until HS, when some went their separate ways, which happens) and we all have remained pretty good friends - harder to do that in some places.

Reactions: NotInRHouse
Bridgewater (especially the Sunset Lake area with a private lake and great commuity) historically Sommerville was the dowtown of the area and Bridgewater was only forest and agriculrural land), Warren,Berkley Hights, New Providence. You will find the best QPR in Bridgewater as I considered all the above options before we moved to Bridgewater over 18 years ago.

It is no secret that Deblasio has been a disaster for NYC. Even among many of my very liberal friends who live in the city even they are not happy with what has become of the city under Deblasio. BTW these lefty loons give him high marks for his social change initiatives but low marks on crime. These dopey liberals don't realize they all walk hand in hand. The democrat policies Deblasio is embracing are directly responsible for the increase in ALL the negative social issues.

Reactions: BigWill
Definitely avoid NYC

Thanks de Blowzio

https://www.foxbusiness.com/economy/new-york-last-in-nation-economic-outlook-report
It is no secret that Deblasio has been a disaster for NYC. Even among many of my very liberal friends who live in the city even they are not happy with what has become of the city under Deblasio. BTW these lefty loons give him high marks for his social change initiatives but low marks on crime. These dopey liberals don't realize they all walk hand in hand. The democrat policies Deblasio is embracing are directly responsible for the increase in ALL the negative social issues.

The real enemy to Liberals are Leftists

de Blowzio is a Leftist, not a Liberal

Reactions: T2Kplus10
While De Blasio is definetely the worst mayor since David Dinkins, he alone can't be blamed for all New York's problems. For seven years New York was doing relatively well in spite of his weak leadership. During those good times he failed to institute the required reforms of making New York City's workforce much more efficient and much moore leaner. One outrageous example, to please contractors for on call contracts, he advanced payments to biig contractors who have many other private accounts (formerly payment advancemeents were allowed only for contractors whose only client is NYC, typically this is the case for human services contractots. The result is that the City made the payments and the contractors failed to delivered all the services already paid for. It would be a stupid move in the private sector and in my opinion it is also very stupid in the public sector as well. There are dozens of examples of mismanagement that I am aware of where of and many times more that others became aware of. The New York media is not uncovering and criticising these worst practices NYC pursues. The City was unprepared for large disasters like Covid-19 and only the governor's firm policies and leadership got New York City out of the human catasthrope. NYC desperately needs a competent Mayor that is more like Bloomberg or Giuliani before he lost his mind.

Just saw this popped up again.

What I'm thinking is if i have to make the move, i do so with the idea of targeting a move to Prudential at some point (I'm in the investment industry) as that would make the commute fairly easy, improve quality of life drastically, and work for a good company (or so I've heard). If i have to schlep into nyc for a few months or a year or two, i can probably stomach that if I've got a plan to get out.

While De Blasio is definetely the worst mayor since David Dinkins, he alone can't be blamed for all New York's problems. For seven years New York was doing relatively well in spite of his weak leadership. During those good times he failed to institute the required reforms of making New York City's workforce much more efficient and much moore leaner. One outrageous example, to please contractors for on call contracts, he advanced payments to biig contractors who have many other private accounts (formerly payment advancemeents were allowed only for contractors whose only client is NYC, typically this is the case for human services contractots. The result is that the City made the payments and the contractors failed to delivered all the services already paid for. It would be a stupid move in the private sector and in my opinion it is also very stupid in the public sector as well. There are dozens of examples of mismanagement that I am aware of where of and many times more that others became aware of. The New York media is not uncovering and criticising these worst practices NYC pursues. The City was unprepared for large disasters like Covid-19 and only the governor's firm policies and leadership got New York City out of the human catasthrope. NYC desperately needs a competent Mayor that is more like Bloomberg or Giuliani before he lost his mind.

New York was lucky they got both Giulani and Bloomberg, and in that order. They got complacent and decided that "woke" was more important than competent. It will take at least half a decade, if not more, after they rid themselves of De Blasio to recover.

I think you are mixing highlands with Atlantic highlands my friend. You hav3 not been to Atlantic highlands lately.

I worked at BayDump Hospital in Holmdel for 3 years, filled with PWT from the 'Bayshore' area for Overdoses and other 'issues' with pain.

New York was lucky they got both Giulani and Bloomberg, and in that order. They got complacent and decided that "woke" was more important than competent. It will take at least half a decade, if not more, after they rid themselves of De Blasio to recover.
Part of the blame is on Anthony Weiner as well since if he could have zipped up he would have been Hizzoner instead of the present empty suit.

And @miklosru, the media has tried but for some reason what they find, and they have found plenty, is not really addressed unless it affects certain City agencies.

Last edited:
Reactions: miklosru
Quick somewhat related sidebar if the thread doesn’t mind. I need more space in my house, but don’t have the equity to borrow enough to accomplish what I want. The Monthly payments wouldn’t be a problem, but I did two additions a few years ago that I’m still paying for, hurting my loan to value. Are there other ways to pay for renovations besides heloc? Can I refinance my mortgage + loan + new construction cost into one?

or at this point am I better off just moving?

Quick somewhat related sidebar if the thread doesn’t mind. I need more space in my house, but don’t have the equity to borrow enough to accomplish what I want. The Monthly payments wouldn’t be a problem, but I did two additions a few years ago that I’m still paying for, hurting my loan to value. Are there other ways to pay for renovations besides heloc? Can I refinance my mortgage + loan + new construction cost into one?

if you need to keep adding on to this house, it doesn't sound like it fits your lifestyle at all. would be worth looking around and seeing what's on the market in your price range.

So it looks like my company may be moving a few of us from Boston to New York at some point over the next year or two. I'm looking for recommendations on towns to look into. I grew up in Middletown, so I know the Monmouth County area reasonably well, but I'm open to other alternative areas if it makes sense.

A few things about our situation and what would be important:
1. Reasonable commute to Midtown.
2. Not a super congested area and a nice downtown within a reasonable distance (something as large as Red Bank but could be smaller).
3. We have a 7 month old...so good schools and reasonable property taxes.
4. Open to places outside of NJ (Long Island (feel dirty saying that), Connecticut, NY State)), but with family in NJ, all else fairly equal, NJ would get the nod.
5. Budget-wise, we have a budget that should work in most places, even if we have one of the more modest homes. I'd rather the worst house in a great area than the best house in a bad area.

Wife is from Iowa, but we currently live in Back Bay Boston and were in the Minneapolis suburbs before that. Boston has surprised us by not being too busy and when we go down to New York, my wife always comments how busy and high energy it is, so all things considered, something that doesn't feel too busy is ideal.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Regarding your point number 4, we made the mistake of not considering NY and Ct when we moved back from Washington DC. We began in Montclair and ended up buying a house in Montville.

My job was a couple of blocks from GCS and I would of saved countless hours of sitting on trains and the PATH if we had picked a town with a train that went right into Grand Central.

I would check out Stamford, New Canaan and Fairfield Ct. And also the lower Hudson Valley and Orange and Rockland Counties. With regard to your wife's observation, having lived in the Hudson Valley for the past 20 years, we have grown accustomed to the slower pace of life and now when I go back to NJ, the congestion and doggie-dog lifestyle is immediately noticeable (as soon as I go south of Rt 84) and we decidely don't like it.

Regarding your point number 4, we made the mistake of not considering NY and Ct when we moved back from Washington DC. We began in Montclair and ended up buying a house in Montville.

My job was a couple of blocks from GCS and I would of saved countless hours of sitting on trains and the PATH if we had picked a town with a train that went right into Grand Central.

I would check out Stamford, New Canaan and Fairfield Ct. And also the lower Hudson Valley and Orange and Rockland Counties. With regard to your wife's observation, having lived in the Hudson Valley for the past 20 years, we have grown accustomed to the slower pace of life and now when I go back to NJ, the congestion and doggie-dog lifestyle is immediately noticeable (as soon as I go south of Rt 84) and we decidely don't like it.

Well with Secaucus Junction you can now go into Penn Station or if you live in Bergen you can park at the Vince Lombardi Park/Ride, get a quick ride to Port Authority and take the Shuttle over to Grand Central. Of course if you work in the Wall St area NJ Transit to PATH is miles ahead of any alternative.

Damn, Montville to GCS blows. Not fun at all.

Montclair will be faster than New Canaan and Fairfield. Also you will be able to buy more house. Think your mistake was that you started at the right place but enddd up in the wrong place. Montville is a nice town but not an easy commute to nyc.

This is a tough one. IMHO...if you can find a house that checks most of your needs in your budget, it’s time to move. You can finance most of the costs in that house. Banks are more aggressive on acquisitions than refinancing.

So it looks like my company may be moving a few of us from Boston to New York at some point over the next year or two. I'm looking for recommendations on towns to look into. I grew up in Middletown, so I know the Monmouth County area reasonably well, but I'm open to other alternative areas if it makes sense.

A few things about our situation and what would be important:
1. Reasonable commute to Midtown.
2. Not a super congested area and a nice downtown within a reasonable distance (something as large as Red Bank but could be smaller).
3. We have a 7 month old...so good schools and reasonable property taxes.
4. Open to places outside of NJ (Long Island (feel dirty saying that), Connecticut, NY State)), but with family in NJ, all else fairly equal, NJ would get the nod.
5. Budget-wise, we have a budget that should work in most places, even if we have one of the more modest homes. I'd rather the worst house in a great area than the best house in a bad area.

Wife is from Iowa, but we currently live in Back Bay Boston and were in the Minneapolis suburbs before that. Boston has surprised us by not being too busy and when we go down to New York, my wife always comments how busy and high energy it is, so all things considered, something that doesn't feel too busy is ideal.

Any suggestions appreciated.
You didn't say how much you have to spend on a home.

Morristown is great. Best "downtown" area in Morris County. Taxes are ok. Schools are OK. More space for your dollar than in towns like Westfield, Cranford, Chatham. Cranford and Westfield don't always have a direct train to Penn Station. You have to transfer at Newark; which is a pain in the ...

If you have a little more to spend then I would highly recommend Summit. Great downtown, Express train to Penn Station gets you there in 40 minutes, excellent schools with some diversity. Taxes are a little higher but if you only have one baby then you can find a decent starter home in Summit and renovate it.

Last edited:
It’s not 40 min from Summit, but it’s at least 30 min faster than from Morristown. The trains are always late. I think you should just buy Eli Manning’s house and invite me over for the golf simulator.

Sneaky way to find out what your house is worth, call up RE agent and say you are thinking of listing home. Have her/him/it look your house over and give you some comps. Don't sign a contract.

Your home may be worth more than you think. That may give you the room financially to refinance, pay off the existing old reno and get an estimate of a new reno project.

The new mortgage rates may allow you to swing a new home mortgage as well.

Sneaky way to find out what your house is worth, call up RE agent and say you are thinking of listing home. Have her/him/it look your house over and give you some comps. Don't sign a contract.

Your home may be worth more than you think. That may give you the room financially to refinance, pay off the existing old reno and get an estimate of a new reno project.

The new mortgage rates may allow you to swing a new home mortgage as well.
I interviewed 5 brokers to sell my apt in Hoboken and when I asked them about value, the response was what do you think it’s worth.

I interviewed 5 brokers to sell my apt in Hoboken and when I asked them about value, the response was what do you think it’s worth.

There are good salespeople and there are great salespeople

When we were selling and moving to Florida, I had 3 months before everyone moved, until that time I commuted up and back for weekends.

I had a top lady with Diane Turton that lived down the street. She came in gave me a quote in 5 minutes. I told her to pump it up 25 K and she snorted, but I explained I had the 3 months, so she listed it.

3 months later it hadn't sold and I was ready to move everyone down. She lowered it to her initial figure and sold EXACTLY that price in 3 days !

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT