ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Travel Coach Arrested for Assaulting 72 Year Old Umpire

RU_DIO

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Sep 1, 2002
Jersey Shore

This piece of garbage is a strong guy and broke the jaw of the umpire and gave him a concussion. I was told about this a few weeks ago before the story broke last week. Supposedly he was drinking in between games.

When I coached in the late 90’s/early 2000’s, players AND their parents had to sign a code of conduct. If the parent misbehaved, the player and/or team was penalized for the parent’s actions, depending on the severity of the misbehavior.

My nephew plays on the Zoned team that was crushing the one from Staten Island. We live in Branchburg only a short drive from White Oak park. The wife and I were just at the same field for the previous game that Sunday, but had left before this game started. I couldn't believe the story when family first told me about it afterwards.

Crazy to think anyone would get so worked up over any game, let alone one between middle schoolers.

This piece of garbage is a strong guy and broke the jaw of the umpire and gave him a concussion. I was told about this a few weeks ago before the story broke last week. Supposedly he was drinking in between games.
I remember my friend's Dad and his jerk of an older brother threatening a little league umpire (a really nice guy) back in the late 1970s, and it almost escalated to a fight. It wasn't until the kid's mother screamed at his father and brother to leave that things calmed down. This wasn't even a travel team. A family of aholes. They have always existed, and they will continue to exist. The difference now is that with social media and ubiquitous cameras, we see more of it.

Last edited:
I remember my friend's Dad and his jerk of an older brother threatening a little league umpire (a really nice guy) back in the late 1970, and it almost escalated to a fight. It wasn't until the kid's mother screamed at his father and brother to leave that things calmed down. This wasn't even a travel team. A family of aholes. They have always existed, and they will continue to exist. The difference now is that with social media and ubiquitous cameras, we see more of it.
Absolutely agree. Remember trashy people back in 80’s while playing in basketball and soccer tournaments all over the country. As I said earlier only thing that seemed to work was banning those towns or clubs from playing in tournaments and leagues. One team acted up the entire organization was banned. Amazing how peaceful tournaments become after you weed out the a-holes.

Saw an idiot parent go after a CYO ref post game in a 5th grade girls game a few months ago. We have codes of conduct and our coach is a NYPD detective. But there are a lot of morons out there and poor losers. I went over after the imbecile left and told the ref he called a good game. But I expected someone would have taken notice and banished the fool from attending future games. BTW, he was not drunk, just stupid.

We had an 12u AAU travel game 3 years ago. Parent was heckling ref. Ref stopped reffing and challenged Parent to a fight.

• Wow
Reactions: FastMJ
When I was assigning umpires a few years ago, I had a college kid assigned to an 8u travel game. He ejected a head coach for arguing balls and strikes, and the coach came running out and made contact with the ump, knocking him on his butt. The other coaches restrained the idiot and got him out of there, but I told my umps that if a coach ever makes contact with you, stop the game and call the police.

The father of my son's teammate was banned from attending grammar school age soccer matches because he was so abusive.

I was at a CYO basketball game where the police were called because some parents were so out of control.

The accused is a nyc sanitation worker from Staten Island .
Not surprising. In my ice rink management days, we had a hockey tournament where the coach of a mostly Staten Island U10 team was ejected for abusing a ref, and after making his way around the boards toward the entrance, took a sharp left towards the door to the ice and stepped onto the ice to continue getting in the ref's face just as he was about to drop the puck to continue play. The kids were lined up and ready to just play hockey, but this guy just couldn't resist continuing to make an ass of himself at a U10 game. Perhaps even worse was that his team's parents were cheering him on when he interrupted the game to keep harassing the ref.

Then when you explain to some people that this is why so many sports have a ref shortage, they tell you that people just need a thicker skin. Have fun in a few years when your kid's high school games are being rescheduled because the ref assignor has nobody available, or your league fees skyrocket to cover ref costs because the current pay rates are becoming less worth it every year.

Not surprising. In my ice rink management days, we had a hockey tournament where the coach of a mostly Staten Island U10 team was ejected for abusing a ref, and after making his way around the boards toward the entrance, took a sharp left towards the door to the ice and stepped onto the ice to continue getting in the ref's face just as he was about to drop the puck to continue play. The kids were lined up and ready to just play hockey, but this guy just couldn't resist continuing to make an ass of himself at a U10 game. Perhaps even worse was that his team's parents were cheering him on when he interrupted the game to keep harassing the ref.

Then when you explain to some people that this is why so many sports have a ref shortage, they tell you that people just need a thicker skin. Have fun in a few years when your kid's high school games are being rescheduled because the ref assignor has nobody available, or your league fees skyrocket to cover ref costs because the current pay rates are becoming less worth it every year.
I had to have a coach shut down one of his fans a few weeks ago that was riding me…as the coach was calming him down, the parent was yelling at me “ you have to have thicker skin than that blue if you’re gonna umpire”…funny thing is it should have been a two man game, but we are so short that they couldn’t find a partner for me so I did it solo so that the kids could play.

Reactions: toby83 and dconifer
I had to have a coach shut down one of his fans a few weeks ago that was riding me…as the coach was calming him down, the parent was yelling at me “ you have to have thicker skin than that blue if you’re gonna umpire”…funny thing is it should have been a two man game, but we are so short that they couldn’t find a partner for me so I did it solo so that the kids could play.
The parents are the worst part about youth sports. In the NJ Youth Hockey League, if a parent gets thrown out, the team gets fined. The team that I worked for would then suspend that parent from attending games until they reimbursed us for the fine.

The parents are the worst part about youth sports. In the NJ Youth Hockey League, if a parent gets thrown out, the team gets fined. The team that I worked for would then suspend that parent from attending games until they reimbursed us for the fine.
I did youth football coach/admin for 25+ years. Only problems I ever had were with A-hole parents and coaches.

I actually had a parent come down the stands behind me coaching and grab his kid by the facemask and start yelling and shaking him. I immediately put a stop to it and told the guy " when the kids are on this side of the fence, they belong to ME! If you touch him or anyone else again, I WILL KICK YOUR ASS right here in front of everybody!".
Got a pretty good round of applause from the crowd. Lol.
No parent problems going forward.

I did youth football coach/admin for 25+ years. Only problems I ever had were with A-hole parents and coaches.

I actually had a parent come down the stands behind me coaching and grab his kid by the facemask and start yelling and shaking him. I immediately put a stop to it and told the guy " when the kids are on this side of the fence, they belong to ME! If you touch him or anyone else again, I WILL KICK YOUR ASS right here in front of everybody!".
Got a pretty good round of applause from the crowd. Lol.
No parent problems going forward.
I was at a football coaches clinic last weekend run by three referees with 20-30 plus years experience each. They said that without a doubt, refereeing youth football and youth sports in general is the worst because you hear every word the parents say. They too said they just can’t get enough referees to work these days.

Reactions: goru1869
I was at a football coaches clinic last weekend run by three referees with 20-30 plus years experience each. They said that without a doubt, refereeing youth football and youth sports in general is the worst because you hear every word the parents say. They too said they just can’t get enough referees to work these days.
Funny part is, yelling at officials is the worst thing you can do. You think they're gonna do you any favors after u call them an A-hole?

Officials know when they eff up and usually make up for it (in my experience). When things went sideways, I would have a word with the nearest official like a gentleman. Treat them with respect and they will reciprocate (again in my experience). There are always exceptions though.
My main rule was that nobody talks business with officials but me or my designated player on the field. No misunderstandings. If somebody is getting penalized or tossed, it's gonna be me.

I coached youth soccer my first few years with @mildone who was a great with the kids and very knowledgable about soccer (he played growing up and I played football in the fall), which was very helpful for me as an assistant as I saw how he did things (even if it pains me to say such nice things about him, lol). After a few years of being an assistant I was asked to be a head coach and did that for about 5 years, for my son's teams, from the time he was about 9 to 14.

I always recalled mildone telling all of the parents to come to the games, but to be respectful and stick to cheering, and that berating kids, coaches and refs was not to be tolerated. So I made similar speeches when I became a head coach and luckily only had two times where a parent got a little out of hand yelling at the ref. I recall going over to the offending parent a minute or two later and kind of acknowledging that the call might not have been right, but that the teenagers reffing were volunteers and doing their best and then I reminded them of what we had talked about before the season and in both cases the offending parents were at least kind of contrite and said they'd pipe down.

Fortunately, I never had a serious confrontation in soccer, like some of these crazy cases we've seen the last many years. Some people are just assholes I guess. I also coached youth baseball for several years, but was just an assistant and the head guy did a nice job warning a few parents and things never escalated there either. Oddly enough, I played baseball far more as a kid than soccer, so I knew the game much better, but never became a head youth baseball coach.

Reactions: robcac26
I coached youth soccer my first few years with @mildone who was a great with the kids and very knowledgable about soccer (he played growing up and I played football in the fall), which was very helpful for me as an assistant as I saw how he did things (even if it pains me to say such nice things about him, lol). After a few years of being an assistant I was asked to be a head coach and did that for about 5 years, for my son's teams, from the time he was about 9 to 14.

I always recalled mildone telling all of the parents to come to the games, but to be respectful and stick to cheering, and that berating kids, coaches and refs was not to be tolerated. So I made similar speeches when I became a head coach and luckily only had two times where a parent got a little out of hand yelling at the ref. I recall going over to the offending parent a minute or two later and kind of acknowledging that the call might not have been right, but that the teenagers reffing were volunteers and doing their best and then I reminded them of what we had talked about before the season and in both cases the offending parents were at least kind of contrite and said they'd pipe down.

Fortunately, I never had a serious confrontation in soccer, like some of these crazy cases we've seen the last many years. Some people are just assholes I guess. I also coached youth baseball for several years, but was just an assistant and the head guy did a nice job warning a few parents and things never escalated there either. Oddly enough, I played baseball far more as a kid than soccer, so I knew the game much better, but never became a head youth baseball coach.
Did you leave anything out about yourself? You said "I" 14 times. YES, I counted.

Did you leave anything out about yourself? You said "I" 14 times. YES, I counted.
Congratulations on being almost as big of a troll as T2K (who I'm certain will be along to troll this post shortly). Everyone posting in this thread used "I" - it's a friggin' message board where people share stories. Maybe share one of yours or maybe just don't post if you can't add anything of value.

Congratulations on being almost as big of a troll as T2K (who I'm certain will be along to troll this post shortly). Everyone posting in this thread used "I" - it's a friggin' message board where people share stories. Maybe share one of yours or maybe just don't post if you can't add anything of value.
I just did add something of value jackass. Just you being you. You were ignored as a kid, weren't you?

A good friend of mine who has been going to RU football games with us for about 18 years now, does a ton of umping for girls softball at the highest levels and he said he's close to calling it quits. He enjoys umping, but he can't stand some of the idiot parents, who make it about themselves rather than the kids and don't even realize how much they embarrass themselves (and their kids).

Reactions: Erial_Lion
Coming from a poster who says what is quoted from another thread below, "I" would not worry about what this poster thinks. Neither should YOU. And just for good measure: I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I: 🤣
These trans. people ( I don't believe in them) are a VERY STRANGE group of people.

I just did add something of value jackass. Just you being you. You were ignored as a kid, weren't you?
I guarantee nobody else thought it was of value, except for a few of your troll friends. And now you're trying to derail an interesting thread. My guess is you're one of those parents yelling at the umps, especially given your posting history.

I guarantee nobody else thought it was of value, except for a few of your troll friends. And now you're trying to derail an interesting thread. My guess is you're one of those parents yelling at the umps, especially given your posting history.
Maybe. what is it to ya? At least my posts do not revolve around ME. A little self-centered aren't we.

Coming from a poster who says what is quoted from another thread below, "I" would not worry about what this poster thinks. Neither should YOU. And just for good measure: I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I: 🤣
And what was wrong with what was posted about trans people? Problem in this country is not enough people have the courage to say it. I guess you are one of them. now go give the weather man a hug.

• Haha
Reactions: BossNJ
And what was posted that was wrong about trans people? problem in this country is not enough people have the courage to say it. I guess you are one of them.
What was wrong about what you posted? Everything. You sure you are not Trans, according to your definition? You live your life, and let others live theirs, being comfortable in their own existence. Nobody is hurting you being themselves. Many are making positive contributions to this world. What are you doing to make the world (and our little corner of the world here on this forum) a better place?

@RU848789 made a positive contribution to this thread, while you, just like in the electric vehicles thread, troll and foment hatred. Think hard about what you say and try to find a little compassion and understanding in your heart. Maybe you need to dig deeper. Some day a person you abhor may save your life. There are trans emergency service workers. Wonder if you would have the decency to thank them, or if you would still look at them with disdain. One thing for for sure, the person you abhor will sleep well at night in the comfort of who they are, while you will toss and turn hating those that do no harm to you. May peace and love be with you.

Last edited:
The average age of the refs at my daughter's lacrosse tournament last weekend appeared to be 70. There is a shortage of people qualified and willing to do this. Situation gets worse when parents/coaches make them miserable.

I've been umping baseball in SJ for a few years now. Some of the stories I've heard from fellow umpires are mind-boggling. At this point I'm just waiting for something crazy to happen to me. I still haven't had to eject anyone, but i'm sure it's coming, and hopefully it doesn't lead to anything further like this poor guy.

The shortage of officials is very real. I know for a fact there were high school level games cancelled this year because schools couldn't even get ONE umpire to show up. And there were many more games that went forward with just the 1 umpire. Anyone who knows anything about baseball knows that 1 umpire is not enough on a 60/90 field.

Lock this guy up and throw away the key. What 40 year old punches a 72 year old in the face? I bet this coward never would have gone through with it if the umpire was of similar age/stature. Fking coward

Reactions: RU_DIO and patk89
For one we have lost all objectivity and devolved into blind loyalty. We can't even tell our own kids "Yes it was strike three, you should have swung". We always feel aggrieved. Our side is pure as Mother's milk

And I'd love an explanation why disagreements like this end up in assault and battery

Reactions: zappaa
I still remember one mom after her 10 year old took a called third strike in recreation softball - the kid walking back to the bench says to mom, “That wasn’t a strike mommy” and mom replying “YOU‘RE RIGhT HOnEY, THAT UMPIRE’S AN ASSHOLE!”

I still remember one mom after her 10 year old took a called third strike in recreation softball - the kid walking back to the bench says to mom, “That wasn’t a strike mommy” and mom replying “YOU‘RE RIGhT HOnEY, THAT UMPIRE’S AN ASSHOLE!”
I grew up in an era where you played the sports of your choosing all day long.
No parents watching, no folding chairs, no snacks, no water bottles, no umpires.
There was no one there to say it’s okay honey, or ease your pain…. You figured it out for yourself.
The two hour little league or Pop Warner game was merely a distraction from the real playing.
For me the real playing was out the door at 9 am back for dinner playing 3 different sports with no one but your friends, no one watching and no one making excuses for you or comforting you

Just a follow up. The umpire had ejected the coach & was walking away from him when this Staten Islander sucker punched him from behind. Classy move from a 40 year old guy built like a linebacker to strike an umpire from behind. The ump’s jaw is wired shut & he should be able too eat solid food in 6-8 months. Meantime, the guy belongs in jail & charged with a felony, he may lose his job. Hope it was worth it! Law suits being prepared.
About 15 years ago, while officiating a high school soccer game, a player started screaming at my partner & threatened to slash his tires. He didn’t realize that my partner was an off duty police officer. I had to restrain my partner from arresting him right then. Player was ejected & school disciplined him by not allowing him to play any more high school sports.
i have lots of stories, but perhaps funniest I heard was in a game that I wasn’t involved in. In a high school girl’s soccer game, a girl was upset with official & chucked him a moon. I believe the girl was suspended from school & parents showed up at a Board of Ed meeting to dispute the suspension. They were told that if they chose to make an issue of the suspension that the Board would produce video of the transgression. They decided to accept the suspension.

When I was a senior at Montclair High we played Rye Country Day in hockey.
I was called for a penalty for a slight retaliation after taking an obvious slash the Refs missed.
Being who I was, that happened often to me.
In defense of myself I skated full speed at the ref to argue, little did I know he’d stop short and I’d literally run him completely over. (It looked bad for sure)
I was thrown out of the game and barred from hockey in NY state

Last edited:
Reactions: RUJohnny
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT