ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Travel Coach Arrested for Assaulting 72 Year Old Umpire

But was that umpire interference by erroneously calling Nimmo out, because had the umpire made the correct call and demonstrably called him safe, Nimmo is the kind of player who would have bolted for second base. But the umpire took him out of the play by calling him out. 🤷‍♂️ Really strange play, and credit Showalter for arguing and getting both players called safe.
Just curious--let's say the tag on Nimmo was an out and the Mets lose that challenge, does that mean the play at 1st base wouldn't be reviewed because they would have already spent their challenge, or does the whole play count as one challenge even though there were two separate parts?

Just curious--let's say the tag on Nimmo was an out and the Mets lose that challenge, does that mean the play at 1st base wouldn't be reviewed because they would have already spent their challenge, or does the whole play count as one challenge even though there were two separate parts?
I believe the whole play counts as one challenge.
Maybe little league, middle school and high school baseball should go to video review to stop fighting. That's sarcasm.

Reactions: robcac26
Can't believe 2nd baseman made the tag without the ball in his glove.
Pete Rose hit a one hop bullet back at Kent Tekulve that ripped his glove off.
Rather than separating the ball from glove, Teke picked up the glove with ball in and tossed it to Stargell for the out.
Willie said it was the first and only glove he ever caught for a putout….Lol

I remember way back in HS umpiring little league games. I remember to this day one kid getting up, a pitch right down the middle, he looks at it. Strike one. Kid dropped his bat and gave me some lip, same thing on the next two pitches. Kid starts yelling at me, father comes out of the stands starts yelling at me right in my face. I tried to handle it as best I could, but I was 17. Guy continued to harass me at the end of the game as I was leaving. No parents intervened to help me out. Last umpiring I ever did. It wasn’t worth the $20 or whatever it was back then.
That's all of the gutless losers present besides the guy yelling @ you. I don't blame you for not returning for another game.
If I or most of the guys I know were there, you would have had no problems leaving because one of us would be walking with you.
Sorry for your experience. People just suck.
Don't give up on the kids though. They're worth every minute you spend out there.

Reactions: RUboston
What is even more amazing is that these games sound like they are being played at Citi...
Not that amazing. Both Miami and Tampa Bay don’t have crowds unless both NY teams, Boston, and some other teams visit them. They don’t deserve the MLB down there.

Reactions: Knightmoves
It’s a “tough” or “unfortunate” call, but how is it “crap”? It’s pretty clearly interference. That’s a tough one to not call, especially when it directly impacted the play.
Slowing down the video, he was inside the lane, on the last two steps he stepped slightly outside the lane. But if you freeze the frame at 0:33 and toggle it slowly to 0:34, he beat the ball to the base, and it did not impact the play either at first or at home.

It looks like there was one out. Call the runner out at first, but why take the run off the board from third base? The first baseman was not going to catch that ball.

Could not find a rule that applied here, unless these are not the correct NCAA rules?

EDIT-

I guess this answers it, but still seems like a crap outcome in this particular instance. Life ain't fair sometimes:

Slowing down the video, he was inside the lane, on the last two steps he stepped slightly outside the lane. But if you freeze the frame at 0:33 and toggle it slowly to 0:34, he beat the ball to the base, and it did not impact the play either at first or at home.

It looks like there was one out. Call the runner out at first, but why take the run off the board from third base? The first baseman was not going to catch that ball.

Could not find a rule that applied here, unless these are not the correct NCAA rules?

EDIT-

I guess this answers it, but still seems like a crap outcome in this particular instance. Life ain't fair sometimes:

If it’s called, the batter is out and all runners are returned to the base at the time of the pitch (can certainly argue it’s too severe of a penalty, but nothing the umpires can do about it). It looks to me like about 5 of his last 6 steps are outside of the runners lane. This still frame shows the most egregious step with the ball about to arrive…

Reactions: Knight Shift
If it’s called, the batter is out and all runners are returned to the base at the time of the pitch (can certainly argue it’s too severe of a penalty, but nothing the umpires can do about it). It looks to me like about 5 of his last 6 steps are outside of the runners lane. This still frame shows the most egregious step with the ball about to arrive…

Fair enough. Hotly challenged calls by Ole Miss. They won. SEC! SEC! SEC!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT