ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Travel going across state lines

Roy_Faulker

All Conference
Feb 7, 2002
Anyone have difficulty recently going across state lines? Am traveling east and am learning about completing travel forms etc. Didn’t know if folks have experienced a significant issues traveling with out-of-state license plates?

Reactions: beaced
Someone I knew from RU with jersey plates on their 5 series was shot at in central TX lol

We traveled to/from Arizona at the end of May and we were not stopped at any state crossing. Doubt it has changed.
Pro tip- bring plenty of quarters for states like Oklahoma that do have cashless toll plazas.

I have been very bored the last 3-4 weeks. I have driven to/thru DE, MD, VA, PA, OH, MI, NY, VT, NH, MA, RI & CT.

there are no stops. Just signs saying ‘call for your status’.

Reactions: MulletCork
Entry in CA has stops (always has) - but those are for Agriculture checks (and sometimes border enforcement).

some states have on-line forms - but I haven't heard any are "required" for entry.

A family member works at a retail store in NJ. One of her co-workers returned from a trip (not sure - but think it was FL or GA)... someone called the manager on that person - and the company made them take a 14-day quarantine...

Anyone have difficulty recently going across state lines? Am traveling east and am learning about completing travel forms etc. Didn’t know if folks have experienced a significant issues traveling with out-of-state license plates?
The gov. of another state can't stop you from entering. Against the constitution. Even blow hard murphy and his side kick cuomo say it cant be done.

At the start of the COVID outbreak, FL had checkpoints at interstates at its borders, prohibiting entry of vehicles from hotspot states. Now, though, FL is OK with letting FL vehicles exit the state, potentially spreading the virus to other states. Here in western NC we have many FL vehicles driving about. Kind of curious as to "why" this is not being addressed by state authorities.

Reactions: NotInRHouse
At the start of the COVID outbreak, FL had checkpoints at interstates at its borders, prohibiting entry of vehicles from hotspot states. Now, though, FL is OK with letting FL vehicles exit the state, potentially spreading the virus to other states. Here in western NC we have many FL vehicles driving about. Kind of curious as to "why" this is not being addressed by state authorities.
Because it is illegal.

The gov. of another state can't stop you from entering. Against the constitution. Even blow hard murphy and his side kick cuomo say it cant be done.

I get they can’t stop me from crossing state lines but - when I cross the border I’m subject to the laws of that state.

NY, CT, MA and ME have forms you have to complete of staying there agreeing to self quarantine for two weeks, get a test, or demonstrate a negative test result within 72 hrs or f arriving in the state.

Didn’t know if those states have troopers at the boarder pulling people over asking for their form. Failure to comply carries a $2k price tag in NY ($5k for 2nd offense).

I get they can’t stop me from crossing state lines but - when I cross the border I’m subject to the laws of that state.

NY, CT, MA and ME have forms you have to complete of staying there agreeing to self quarantine for two weeks, get a test, or demonstrate a negative test result within 72 hrs or f arriving in the state.

Didn’t know if those states have troopers at the boarder pulling people over asking for their form. Failure to comply carries a $2k price tag in NY ($5k for 2nd offense).

Note that the laws are changing - For example, in MA, you wont have to quarantine after August 1 if you come from a lower risk state as designated by the Department of Public Health.

Note that the list of states will change as the criteria is : average daily cases per 100K below 6 AND positive test rate below 5%, both measured as a 7-day rolling average

List as of today
  • Connecticut
  • Hawaii
  • Maine
  • New Hampshire
  • New Jersey
  • New York
  • Rhode Island
  • Vermont

https://www.mass.gov/info-details/covid-19-travel-order#lower-risk-states-

Rhode Island had National guard on 95 north in April and May. All out of state cars were required to pull off. The sake where you were going. I said Massachusetts, he thanked me and let me go on. In RI they also went door to door for a while at any house with out of state plates.

Because it is illegal.

I "think" you have misunderstood. It is not "illegal" for the States to address the problem of interstate travel to/from hotspots. How they address it is the question. Requiring and enforcing 14-day quarantine measures is a start. Requesting residents to restrict non-essential travel to/from hotspots is a start.

Just don't bring a minor female for you know what,and you will be OK if you get stopped.

I am coming from a state on the naughty list hence the original question.
I'm in the same situation. On vacation in nj. Haven't been questioned at all. We're very careful and actually socially distance.

It appears Gov. Murphy is doing zero to actually enforce this out-of-state quarantine.

A comedian I follow in IG just posted about her flying to NJ from California (especially L.A.) perform outdoors at Monmouth Park.

Clearly she won't be undergoing a 2 week quarantine upon arriving at EWR.

So much for the big show of adding more and more states to this list everyday.

Reactions: goru1869
I'm guessing it's not on the list of names being considered for the Washington Football Team.
Being that a redneck in my neck of the woods is white, toothless, wears suspenders, two different work boots and is a drunk I am sure Rednecks would be fine with the 25 year old lilly ass punk crowd.

States haven't been able to refuse entry to out of state individual since the Articles of Confederation. Maybe some states didn't get the memo

Rhode Island had National guard on 95 north in April and May. All out of state cars were required to pull off. The sake where you were going. I said Massachusetts, he thanked me and let me go on. In RI they also went door to door for a while at any house with out of state plates.
I wish they did that here on Staten Island. In one community I'd bet there were over 100 cars with Pa plates. Some even have different plates on the front and back. There's also a growing number of plates with the some letters or numbers scratched off to get through cashless tolls. I've seen vehicles with plates from different states on the front and back. And I've seen a truck with Florida plates with the Local Contractors Name and phone number on the side of the truck.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT